Uncharted fan film (ft. Nathan Fillion and Stephen Lang)

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It finally happened. After years of fans asking an Uncharted movie with Nathan Fillion as Drake, someone listened.

I really loved this thing, including all the corniness and the low budget this has. I had more fun with this short 15 min fan film then every video game adaptation combined. It's like it's made directly for the fans.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird, turns out when you put Uncharted in movie form its a generic action film. This is a well made thing but a full movie is definitely not something I'd waste 2 hours watching.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not crazy about Lang as Sully and whoever that is as Elena. Emily Rose could easily play that role in a feature if they cast Fillion as old Drake. The highlight for me though was Ernie Reyes Jr.

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224: I think they knew that this only works as a small thing, like that scene where the camera goes behind the back like the games would probably not work well in an actual movie.

It's clearly made just as a love letter to the series. There are a lot of little touches taken directly from the games.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Not Drakey enough or Fillony enough and definitely not Sully-y enough.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By BoOzak

This is fine for a lowish budget fan thing but there have been better video game movies. It does seem more faithful than most of them though. I did like the line "kid, whenever you say that nobody knows what the hell you're talking about" It seemed self aware enough to make it less cringey than most of these fan films.

That being said I think the Metal Gear Sunrising video is still my favourite fan video. (Incidentally I made a thread about it that got locked for youtube spam, watch out OP!)

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Felt like it followed the beats of Uncharted games pretty well: Cutscene (Everything up to getting out of the handcuffs), followed by melee combat with some clear things that would have translated to QTEs (pulling the ponytail off, maybe the "hold the short guy at arms length?"), followed by another cutscene and exposition dump (Everything up to jumping out of the window), the gun battle, and another exposition heavy cutscene.

I like Nathan Fillion. I think he has a look and attitude that work well for Drake. I also think there were moments in this 15 minutes that leave me really conflicted on him as Drake, and it mostly comes down to the action. Part of me thinks Drake shouldn't look good in combat, especially hand to hand combat, because he's not a fighter. He's a grave robber. And there were certainly moments where the fighting looked awkward and stunted - sometimes the way you want it to look when you're going for "amateurs in a fight" and sometimes not. But then you have the guy delivering roundhouse kicks and flying superman punches and it just didn't work for me.

Like a lot of people have said: I enjoyed my 15 minutes watching this. It's fun and not without flaws. I don't need 90 more minutes. I'm not even sure I need 30.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad Powers Boothe passed away, he would've made a great Sully.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BrainScratch

As a Portuguese, I am really happy to see fiction inspired by Portugal's history. It's a small country with so much interesting material that could be used for movies or videogames that it's a shame that everyone seems to forget about us.

For a live-action fan short movie, it's actually really nice. Not good enough for a full-length movie, but I would easily watch this as a TV Show with a bigger budget. It's clearly a love letter to the Uncharted games done by people who have respect for the original material and knew where to put their references. I think the little bit of corniness it had gives it some charm as it feels self-aware. Nathan Fillion was a way better Drake than I expected, however I'm not so sure about Stephen Lang as Sully, he's nice but it lacks some "swagger". But I respect that they tried to act and sound like the actors from the game (or at least felt like it). Whoever played Elena could be better, even without comparing it to the source material, her acting was weak on it's own.

Also, for something that tried (and managed) to look as professional as possible, the tracking on that "trinity" symbol in the gem at the end was reeeeeally rough.

But anyway, I liked it! And I always get a laugh listening to people from America or England trying to say Portuguese words.

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They even used the same fight moves that are in the game, that double punch and the grabbed from the back elbow and then kick the other guy thing.

The people who made this obviously love the source material.

Digaumgrunge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hopefully this is a "Deadpool test footage" situation. If this short film gets enough attention, maybe these guys get to make a full Uncharted movie.

Just give Nolan North a role in it, I don't care what/who he plays... They even have a "kitty got wet" in it (at 7:25)!

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

This short goes to show A) just how formulaic the writing of Uncharted always was and B) just how charismatic and fun that formula is. That they could never figure out how to turn this into a major franchise is beyond me; with Mission Impossible likely aging out of feasability soon (at least with Cruise as the lead) and Bond also entering a period of upheaval in the near future, Sony needs to strike, and it might actually be better for the movie’s fortunes that there’s no more Uncharted on the horizon so fans of the series will be clamoring even more for anything that gets put out there.

That said, while Nathan Fillion’s impression of Nolan North’s Nathan Fillion impression is pretty damn good, he was moving like most men hovering around 50 years old not named Tom Cruise move. Obviously a bigger budget, more focused cinematography and an actual training regimen would fix some of that, but I’m just not sure they can dress up a man who’s now spent the majority of his career on TV doing police procedurals as an action star. Though I suppose if they just wanted to build the movie right off the ending of Uncharted 4 with an older daughter and fully family man Drake...let me stop right there, I’ve got a script to write.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@mems1224: What else did you expect? They're pegged as cinematic action-adventure games. Take away the game part and you're just watching a good ol' action-adventure film.

This was charming. Definitely hit all the Uncharted beats. Nothing against the cast (they were very good), but it really hammers home for me how perfect the game cast is.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

Not great, but cool to see nonetheless. Some of the 'references' felt a bit forced, and though I was surprised to see who were in the roles, they weren't entirely fitting. Not sure who played Elena, though she didn't seem very Elena-y.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this is a "Deadpool test footage" situation. If this short film gets enough attention, maybe these guys get to make a full Uncharted movie.

I wouldn't get my hopes up, seeing how the movie currently in the works is a prequel and stars Tom Holland. Well, assuming that it hasn't been scrapped since those news in last year.

This was ok, Nathan did a decent job as Drake.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sully's been smoking an unlit cigar this whole time.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Captain_Insano

I thought it was alright. It would not work as a movie, but I could see this as something broken up into a Netflix series in 20 or 30 minute episodes.

The video game style action sequence shootout was cool, but would wear thin in a longer format.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Put some money and a good writer behind it and there's no reason they couldn't make it a decent movie. I doubt the audience is there though. If the AC movie couldn't float on it's name there's no way Uncharted will.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I read too fast, and read Dave Lang instead of Stephen Lang... I'll see myself out...

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By atomicoldman

Fillion moves so stiff that I don't think I could buy this as anything other than Old Nate coming out of retirement for one last job. He's got the character down, though, and with some better writing he could be great.

That said, everything that wasn't Nathan Fillion talking I thought was either a snooze or clumsy.

Edit: Also that "video game combat" portion was just bad. If your fan film is making me stop and think about the Doom movie, you probably fucked up.

vagrant_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiftygism: Holy shit I didn't even recognize him! Man now i feel ashamed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Not even going to bother watching. Maybe it makes me a jerk but fan films aren't real movies.

rcath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Stephen Lang is great in anything.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@shiftygism: I came here to post that Powers Boothe would have been perfect for the role of Sully...helped in no small part by Powers Boothe being perfect for a lot of roles in my mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@nutter said:

@shiftygism: I came here to post that Powers Boothe would have been perfect for the role of Sully...helped in no small part by Powers Boothe being perfect for a lot of roles in my mind.

RIP Powers Boothe awesome name and he was so great at playing the villain.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: Dude would've been the definitive Batman had the role came his way years back.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still stunned the Metal Gear movie's picking up steam after decades of being in the rumour mill.

thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a cool little thing, I'm glad it happened!

AJTsuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm happy for the Fillion / Drake fans. But I have to agree that the "idea" of an Uncharted film feels kinda generic. But then again, I had really high hopes for the Tomb Raider film and the writers & director of that decided to do their "own take" on the franchise reboot and made it feel like weak fan-fiction. Lord save us from directors giving us their own take on video game fiction.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was very well made for a fan project. Enjoyed all the small details they took directly from the games. Over all this is probably one of the better fan made shorts i have seen, they are usually not very great. The Mortal Kombat shorts where okay as well.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Its definley of 'fan project' quality. That is NOT a dig, ist is merely reality of the whole presentation; from the framing of scenes, the cuts, the TV lighting, etc it is un-inspiring. As a 'proof of concept' for Fillion filling THAT role it works.

And, sorry folks...I think that is ALL this was for no matter what anyone connected to it has said, or will say. It is very probable that the whole point of this not for showing off that you could do a movie like this, but rather that Fillion could do the role. It was not made to demonstrate that actor's grasp of Sully; it was not made so that the actress playing Elena could show off her chops; and ist was not made to show of an editor's grasp of editing. That entire endeavor was there to show off Fillion's ability to play that role -PERIOD. They can deny that up-n-down, but I would not believe it for a second. To reaqd anything deeper than Fillion wants teh role would be to give this exercise too much credit.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@glots said:

This was ok, Nathan did a decent job as Drake.

I see what you did there.