Unreal Engine 4. For NextGen of consoles. Coming 2012.

#1 Posted by DreamsVisions (354 posts) -

...and expected to last until 2018.

Epic president Mike Capps guesses the next console generation will begin anywhere between 2012 and 2018 — and when it does, Unreal Engine 4 will be already waiting for it. At least, that's what Capps told an audience Microsoft's Gamefest 2008 in Seattle this week, according to a Gamasutra report.

Said Capps:

"We've got Unreal [Engine] 4 in production right now... it's going to be in the next console generation - our rough guess is 2012 [to] 2018."

Tim Sweeney also has a guess about what the platforms will be at that time, and in what order Epic will address them:

"Version 4 will exclusively target the next console generation, Microsoft's successor for the Xbox 360, Sony's successor for the Playstation 3 - and if Nintendo ships a machine with similar hardware specs, then that also. PCs will follow after that."

Link.

#2 Posted by pyromaniac (1757 posts) -

yeah I figured as much..I dont like Epic too much though. I hate the way they fucked over Silicon Knights

#3 Posted by Mattzz10 (513 posts) -

Epic seems to be shifting over to be pro-console, developing for Xbox720 and PS4 before the PC. Wasn't there a time where they liked developing for the pc more, or am I wrong.

#4 Posted by DreamsVisions (354 posts) -

they believe the future is in consoles, yes.

#5 Posted by tec3297 (1258 posts) -

I'm glad they are already had at work on the Unreal Engine 4, UE3 has helped create some awesome games and hopefully UE4 will do the same.

#6 Posted by pyromaniac (1757 posts) -
Mattzz10 said:
"Epic seems to be shifting over to be pro-console, developing for Xbox720 and PS4 before the PC. Wasn't there a time where they liked developing for the pc more, or am I wrong.
"
yeah but people go where the money is
#7 Posted by Killuminati (104 posts) -

Cool they must be getting pre specs for PS4 and Xbox next.

#8 Posted by DreamsVisions (354 posts) -

most likely.  they both should have been in development for quite some time.

The real question is: Will Nintendo participate in the real "NextGen", or will they just make a box that would have competed with the 360 and PS3 of today?

#9 Posted by nickmendez (13 posts) -
DreamsVisions said:
"most likely.  they both should have been in development for quite some time.

The real question is: Will Nintendo participate in the real "NextGen", or will they just make a box that would have competed with the 360 and PS3 of today?
"
While I certainly don't like it, Nintendo would be stupid to spend money on R&D and development building a console capable of "current-gen" graphics. They'll continue to iterate on the Wii hardware until it stops selling. And look! Even in a massive software drought, that thing is selling like crack cocaine. Nintendo fans better get used to the Wii, cause I have a feeling it's going to be around for a very very long time. 
#10 Posted by GiantBomber (397 posts) -

sounds EPIC.

#11 Posted by Will1Lucky (412 posts) -
DreamsVisions said:
"most likely.  they both should have been in development for quite some time.

"
Chances are Nintendo will make something that is on par with the Specs of the 360/PS3 and the other 2 hopefully wont follow them and will make a machine of some sort.

Still 2012 that is quite far away I would have expected to hear of the 360's successor next year.
#12 Posted by Nobility (299 posts) -

I don't expect to see new consoles until 2011 anyways, hard to think graphics could see a bigger improvement this generation and innovation has already occured with the Wii.  Though I'm saddened less focus is paid to the PC.

#13 Posted by HitNRun (343 posts) -

A couple indicators for how far along a console generation are game quality and price. The games later in a console always look much better as the developers learn more tricks and don't have reinvent the wheel with every new game. The price of the consoles always starts coming down.

Right now, these two indicators would suggest that the next generation is still a ways off. Games out right now (not at E3) only look slightly better than they did when these systems debuted. The point of a new system is to give developers more horsepower, and right now they're not even maxing out the current gen for the most part. The prices are still high, extremely high in the case of the PS3. Also, remember that these companies take huge losses on the sale of the actual consoles early on, I doubt they're ready for another round of that yet. Microsoft has just finally started to make a profit and has a long way to go to get in the black, Sony is obviously not able to competitively price a new system when the SKUs of their old system are 4 and 5 hundred dollars, and Nintendo could obviously care less.

Avatar image for theogvandalvideo
#14 Posted by TheOGVandalvideo (154 posts) -

Wow, could this be the first generation that Epic has pumped out TWO unreal engines? This  could be bad.

#15 Posted by ParadoxControl (224 posts) -

will it have Real Time Meat Cube Physics?

#16 Posted by epic_pets (1345 posts) -

Wow good stuff

#17 Posted by Shawn (3842 posts) -

2012? But the world explodes that year :(

#18 Posted by OmegaPirate (5642 posts) -

Yeah im busy right through til 2015 :(

#19 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2917 posts) -

Ack, too many games use UE.

#20 Posted by Colonel_Cool (826 posts) -
Mattzz10 said:
"Epic seems to be shifting over to be pro-console, developing for Xbox720 and PS4 before the PC. Wasn't there a time where they liked developing for the pc more, or am I wrong.
"
They're pouting because UT3 didn't sell that well on the PC.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
#21 Posted by deactivated-5b3f096aee80a (4198 posts) -

So thy mean for Xbox 720 and PS4 right? :S

Or PS3 and 720...