Unreal Engine Texture Pop Ins

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Bones8677

I'm playing Mass Effect for the first time, really enjoying it, though I keep making dumb mistakes. "No, I meant to save the game, not load it!!!" 

Anyway, one of the things that are really annoying me are the constant and abusive amounts of texture pop ins that the Unreal Engine has become famous for. This game is littered with them, I don't even remember Gears of War having pop ins so often. There's pop ins every time I open the character menu, every time I switch menus, every time I leave the menu, every time I enter a new area, every time I leave or enter my ship. It's annoying as hell, and it takes me out of the game each time. 

We all know and "love" them...so I think we're all on the same page. So, I've just been wondering, why do we put up with this? Do you think this problem will be addressed with the upcoming Unreal Engine 4? What do ya'll have to say?

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bubahula

im hoping that the problem has been almost eliminated :P
i don't think we will have to wait for unreal 4 for it to be eliminated....hopefully.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I think it must be noted that Mass Effect is likely based on very early versions of UE3.  The PC version, probably due to having more RAM to play with, didn't often give me texture pop in annoyance but it certainly did happen.

I would guess that it's fixed in current UE3 revisions and likely for UE4 which probably will use a different texture streaming technique to deal with DX11 features.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By 71Ranchero

It doesn't bother me too much but i can understand why everyone gets so annoyed by it. The thing to remember is that U3 was designed for multiplayer originally so it gets you into the game as fast as possible and then the assets start coming up after.

monkeyroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By monkeyroach

texture pop ins are from the game streaming off a disc.Its not a ut3 engine problem.Pc version of mass effects runs on your hard drive and not your dvd drive so don't get pop ins.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TwoOneFive

i hate the unreal engine.  

dev's with the talent to make their own graphics are so much better, even if they fail at delivering better graphics. look at the ps3 exclusives man, killzone 2, mgs4, uncharted 2...all custom graphics engines. 

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By DRE7777

Who cares about texture pop in, as long as it only takes a few seconds to pop it should be fine. Id much rather have the creators of Mass Effect 2 focus on the story, atmosphere, fiction, gamplay, side missions, and many other things rather than take the time to make an engine of their own. 

Dont get me wrong I would love a perfect visual experience but id gladly sacrifice some visual things for a great game play and story experience.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ravensword

I really hope thats something they address for Unreal Engine 4. Becauce since alot of games now are using the Unreal Engine, it gets annoying to have Pop in Textures all the time.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bones8677
@DRE7777: I'm talking about the engine the games are running on, not the games themselves. Different groups work on different aspects of a single game, the people who write stories are not the same people who do the coding...
FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By FesteringNeon

I love the pop-in's.. esp. in  borderlands. blurry to crisp in 2.5.
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 71Ranchero
@TwoOneFive said:

" i hate the unreal engine.   dev's with the talent to make their own graphics are so much better, even if they fail at delivering better graphics. look at the ps3 exclusives man, killzone 2, mgs4, uncharted 2...all custom graphics engines.  "

You must be slow or something because you think that all it takes is talent to make an in house engine. You forget that it takes money, resources, time, and manpower as well. Not all developers have the ability to make an engine from the ground up.  

So you hate the most successful engine of this generation because it allows developers with less backing to make a game that, even if it has some pop in, looks and runs great?
DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DRE7777
@Bones8677 said:
" @DRE7777: I'm talking about the engine the games are running on, not the games themselves. Different groups work on different aspects of a single game, the people who write stories are not the same people who do the coding... "
No shit Sherlock, but there is something called a budget, and another thing called man hours. Why waste the time and money to get people to make an engine when those resources and man hours could be spent to hire people to make the actual game better. Obviously you don't really grasp the concept that video games are a business in a world in which time and resources aren't unlimited.
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@Atramentous said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
" i hate the unreal engine.   dev's with the talent to make their own graphics are so much better, even if they fail at delivering better graphics. look at the ps3 exclusives man, killzone 2, mgs4, uncharted 2...all custom graphics engines.  "
You must be slow or something because you think that all it takes is talent to make an in house engine. You forget that it takes money, resources, time, and manpower as well. Not all developers have the ability to make an engine from the ground up.   So you hate the most successful engine of this generation because it allows developers with less backing to make a game that even if it has some pop in, looks and runs great? "
It killed Midway
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 71Ranchero
@HypoXenophobia said:
" @Atramentous said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
You must be slow or something because you think that all it takes is talent to make an in house engine. You forget that it takes money, resources, time, and manpower as well. Not all developers have the ability to make an engine from the ground up.   So you hate the most successful engine of this generation because it allows developers with less backing to make a game that even if it has some pop in, looks and runs great? "
It killed Midway "
Midway killed Midway. 
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@Atramentous said:
" @HypoXenophobia said:
" @Atramentous said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
It killed Midway "
Midway killed Midway.  "
Midway + NBA Ballers + Chuck D + Stranglehold + UE3 = Midway being bankrupt
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 71Ranchero
@HypoXenophobia said:
" @Atramentous said:
" @HypoXenophobia said:
" @Atramentous said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
It killed Midway "
Midway killed Midway.  "
Midway + NBA Ballers + Chuck D + Stranglehold + UE3 = Midway being bankrupt "
If Midway had a sizable amount of money tied up in U3 then Epic would have gone under as well. Epic was its own entity and they are thriving now that they have been cut free. Hell even U2 is still being used to this day.

Your statement should be as follows.  " Midway + NBA Ballers + Chuck D + Stranglehold + other bad property's = Midway being bankrupt" 
Avatar image for shoulderholster
ShoulderHolster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By ShoulderHolster
@Atramentous said:
"@TwoOneFive said:

You must be slow or something because you think that all it takes is talent to make an in house engine. You forget that it takes money, resources, time, and manpower as well. Not all developers have the ability to make an engine from the ground up.   So you hate the most successful engine of this generation because it allows developers with less backing to make a game that, even if it has some pop in, looks and runs great? "

Let's not forget the fact that most developers don't have the advantage of Sony dumping money on them.
Avatar image for shoulderholster
ShoulderHolster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShoulderHolster
@HypoXenophobia said:
" @Atramentous said:
" @HypoXenophobia said:
" @Atramentous said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
It killed Midway "
Midway killed Midway.  "

Do you have any actual evidence that UE3 killed Midway?
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's more a problem with the xbox360 than the pc for these texture pop ups, it has to do with texture streaming and it's faster on he pc because the entire game is installed on the hardrive. You can't say that's true of the engine because that's the way you see it on a console. However that's sort of how the engine was built, otherwise you wouldn't have such high resolution textures.

Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Popping in, popping out.

Sounds like a chronic case of Hokey Cokey to me.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Seppli

I'm hoping for most developers (who don't develop and use their own technology) to switch to CryEngine 3, which definitly is the more impressive technology. Once Crytek proves that the engine is well optimized for PS3 and 360 with Crysis 2, it should finally take off. Rightfully so.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bones8677
@DRE7777 said:

" @Bones8677 said:

" @DRE7777: I'm talking about the engine the games are running on, not the games themselves. Different groups work on different aspects of a single game, the people who write stories are not the same people who do the coding... "
No shit Sherlock, but there is something called a budget, and another thing called man hours. Why waste the time and money to get people to make an engine when those resources and man hours could be spent to hire people to make the actual game better. Obviously you don't really grasp the concept that video games are a business in a world in which time and resources aren't unlimited. "
No need to be an asshole, dude...

Let's take Mass Effect out of this equation, and talk about games as a whole. 

It's all well and good to have a good allocation of funds for a game, but if a game is unstable and doesn't work, then the story and gameplay don't matter at all. 

Take Darkest of Days, that game is broken and ugly, but hey, it has a neat concept so you can't fault it too much can you? No, if there is a problem with the game that affects a player's enjoyment of a game, then there is a huge problem. Games are for entertainment, and if the player isn't entertained because of breaks of immersion or instability then the game has failed. No amount of story or art can fix that. 

Bottom line, the basic stability of the game comes first, gameplay comes second, story and art comes third.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Seppli

@ ontopic

I began gaming on the C64 system and early PCs. I know no pain. Texture pop-ins? Ha ha ha ha! Doesn't even tickle my tolerance for technological shortcomings.

All you babies crying over screen tearing and jaggies. HAHAHA! You're pussies! Enjoy Mass Effect - it's incredibly awesome and all the technological shortcomings are irrelevant (at least if it can't be helped).

Pampered and spoiled and no idea of what games were way back when. They were PAIN. TORTURE. UGLY. SLOW. SPASMIC. CLUNKY. SIMPLE MINDED. MONOCHROME. MONOTONE. HELL.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I actually agree with the OP.  The pop in UE3 was despicable and all excuses regarding slower access of data from non hard drive sources are frankly not good enough.  If MS and Epic had been working together so closely and Epic were utterly focusing on the XBOX 360 as their lead platform then their engine should damn well perform best on that lead platform.  Instead it performed best on PC, looked slightly better (Unreal Tournament III) on the PS3 and popped in like a mofo on their first commercially licensed outing on the supposed lead platform for the engine.  Yammering about game budgets is bollocks.  If the lead platform for an engine can't make the most of it then there's something rotten in the state of Denmark.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@Atramentous said:
" @HypoXenophobia said:
" @Atramentous said:
" @HypoXenophobia said:
" @Atramentous said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
It killed Midway "
Midway killed Midway.  "
If Midway had a sizable amount of money tied up in U3 then Epic would have gone under as well. Epic was its own entity and they are thriving now that they have been cut free. Hell even U2 is still being used to this day. Your statement should be as follows.  " Midway + NBA Ballers + Chuck D + Stranglehold + other bad property's = Midway being bankrupt"  "
@ShoulderHolster: 

Midway invested all their products on running on UE3, even Blitz the League 2 and MK V DC ran on UE3. EA went through a similar ordeal when they tried to get all their games to run on one similar engine a long time back, it didn't end well. The amount of money invested in research, and licensing, and testing the UE3 software was probably a significant chunk of why Midway didn't make it out alive this generation.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TwoOneFive
@Atramentous said:

" @TwoOneFive said:

You must be slow or something because you think that all it takes is talent to make an in house engine. You forget that it takes money, resources, time, and manpower as well. Not all developers have the ability to make an engine from the ground up.   So you hate the most successful engine of this generation because it allows developers with less backing to make a game that, even if it has some pop in, looks and runs great? "
when i said dev's with THE talent (not devs with talent) i meant dev's who have the right amount of men and women who's sole purpose is to design a graphics engine.  
and ya know what, i think the whole money and time thing is bullshit. don't make an overambitious game if you're not fully capable of doing so.  inFAMOUS obviously isn't made by a dev thats as rich as, lets say... unreal, and yet they were able to make their game from scratch. same with Red Faction Guerilla's devs. And they also had both of those games in a lengthy development processes.  

so yes, i hate the unreal engine. all of the games that use it have that really gamey look to them, way too much bump mapping, blooming light etc etc. its a decent bag of tools though, its just sometimes you can build something nice with them, but most of the time something shitty is built with them.  
and guess what, if a game has shitty problems and isn't that great, whether or not your developing studio has less backing, the game is still full of shitty problems and isn't that great. in the end, thats all that matters. don't make over ambitious games if you can't handle it. end of story.  

i think the engine isn't even good. the best game that used that engine, Gears 2, is pretty good. There is a reason Spike TV gave the Batman Arkham Asylum devs studio of the year.  
DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DRE7777
@Bones8677 said: 
No need to be an asshole, dude...    Let's take Mass Effect out of this equation, and talk about games as a whole.  It's all well and good to have a good allocation of funds for a game, but if a game is unstable and doesn't work, then the story and gameplay don't matter at all.   Take Darkest of Days, that game is broken and ugly, but hey, it has a neat concept so you can't fault it too much can you? No, if there is a problem with the game that affects a player's enjoyment of a game, then there is a huge problem. Games are for entertainment, and if the player isn't entertained because of breaks of immersion or instability then the game has failed. No amount of story or art can fix that.   Bottom line, the basic stability of the game comes first, gameplay comes second, story and art comes third. "
Its fairly obvious you don't know much about making games. To try and say that engine perfection and frame rate should be the very first thing game development focuses on is a pretty ignorant and dangerous way to go about game making. If anyone designed a game that way the would def be setting themselves up for failure. A game that runs well that has average game play, story, and art is never going to sell or become popular. Don't get me wrong, it is extremely important to make sure your game doesn't have technical issues, but don't say that stability comes before gameplay that is not true in any case.

Your analogy is terrible because Darkest of Days is bad in every way possible and there is nothing anyone could do to help it. The concept by itself is not interesting at all. Yeah if you striped it down and let actual game designers and writers make a game about time travel and taking people from the past to fight in other wars, it could actually be cool, but that could be said for any part of the game. 

From your argument above, and from your complaints about Mass Effect and the Unreal Engine, your basically saying that texture pop in makes the engine lack stability. But than you also say that art comes third in game design. So why do you care so much about texture pop in. If your trying to convince me that its the last thing game design focuses on and its the least important thing in your opinion, its not very smart to be complaining about texture pop in. Texture pop in has to do with the engine, but it has nothing to do with stability and everything to do with art. 

Also, here is a counter example. Take borderlands for the 360, that has very noticeable drops in frame rate when too much is happening, but it turned out to be a top ten, maybe even top 5 game of the year for some people. It was much better for them to establish a fun and enjoyable IP with some technical issues that they can fix in the sequel, rather than spending who knows how much time, effort, and money to get the frame rate up to 50 or 60 in spots, but sacrifice some fun and interesting game play in the process. 

So basically, your argument is flawed and contradictory, and your knowledge of actually game development is poor at best. Bottom line (as you say) is that games are much better off if they have great story and gameplay, along with some small but noticeable tech issues that can easily be fixed in a sequel, rather than no tech issues, but okay story and uninteresting gameplay.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By ZenaxPure

Doesn't bother me really, usually last 2 seconds then everything is fine. My problem with the UE3 is how bad the frame rate gets in a lot of games on the 360 when to much is going on. Mass Effect is the biggest culprit but Gears 2 for example has its moments.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AgentofChaos

But if there weren't pop-ins how would I know its the Unreal Engine. I suppose I could just see if the world is dark and grimy.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Slippy

Not really a problem on PC - more VRAM helps.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bones8677
@DRE7777: Of course I don't know how to make games. I play games, not make them. Get off my back. This topic is about the nature of the Unreal Engine. Stop acting like a little more polish to a game means sacrificing gameplay and art. You weren't there when Mass Effect was being developed, so you don't know what they went through to make it. 

The constant texture pop ins, while no where near a game breaker, are annoying. When something is annoying, it has to be called out. Especially with games. 
DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DRE7777
@Bones8677:  Yeah but your talking about creating a whole new engine, thats a pretty hard thing to do. I agree that texture pop in can be a bit annoying and I would rather not have it happen, but I'm just saying I'd take a great game with texture pop in over an average game without any day, thats all. Just don't get mad at the Unreal Engine, because the industry definitely benefits from a quality engine that, although it has some flaws, is able to be used in many great games and in many different ways. As well, don't get mad at the developers that use it, because that is money they have to spend to make their own engine if they don't. 

Sorry if I came/come across like an asshole btw.
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By warxsnake

Everyone in this thread who's pissed for some reason that they didnt create a new engine for the game (for whatever reason i dont know), add 2 years to the game dev cycle and buy Mass Effect 2 in 2012. Enjoy.  
And texture pop-in is not an exclusive feature/problem to UE3. Every "next gen" engine these days has dynamically loading textures (a necessity since VRAM is so limited on consoles). I've had pop-ins throughout my play-through of uncharted 2 on my 60GB PS3, 256mb of texture memory = not cool.

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Hashbrowns

I thought it was funny that Epic changed the pop-in to a more subtle blend-in.   

Here's the thing I don't get:  Most pop-in occurs at the beginning of a scene, and most scenes have some sort of fade in from black.  Why not just hold the black a little longer to hide the pop-in?  Let the scene start loading, but just keep the screen dark until a sufficient time has passed for the textures to load.  For example, sometimes I bring up the guide/blades on the X360 at the very beginning of a scene in Mass Effect.  While the guide is open, the scene is paused, but the textures continue to stream in.  Once I exit the guide/blades, the scene continues on with all the textures loaded.  Couldn't something like that be incorporated into the code so that a scene only begins once the textures are ready? 

Granted, pop-in that happens in the middle of a scene would still be a problem (as it was in Mass Effect many times) but this would at least minimize those "Oh, UNREAL ENGINE!" moments.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bones8677
@DRE7777: Thank you for your apology. ^.^

Also, I'm not talking about building a new engine, just improve the one you bought. Like I said, I don't remember Gears having pop ins as badly as Mass Effect. To be fair, Epic made that themselves, so if anyone knows how to use the Unreal Engine, it's them.

There are a few things Bioware could have done to help that problem. For one thing, not have the characters do a new pose, every time I look at a new weapon. I'd be more than happy to just have a static picture. 

Overall, I like the Unreal Engine, and how versatile it can be. Done well, it can look beautiful, as is the thing with Mass Effect. But these pop ins are a problem that need to be addressed, either with more time to polish or with Unreal Engine 4.