Upgrading to HD, getting a new monitor.

Izaak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Izaak

Hey all, this christmas I'm finally going to upgrade to HD (I've been playing my Xbox 360 on a 18 inch standard-def TV for about a year now, and it's getting crappy not being able to read in-game text etc.), so I've been looking around for a new HD monitor, as it'll be good to use one as a computer screen as well.  

The one that I'm considering is an Asus 24" VH242H Wide HD LCD TFT Monitor, from amazon  (  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-VH242H-Gaming-Monitor-Black/dp/B001TH8OYW/ref=pd_cp_ce_1).   

It seems great, got good reviews, and conveniently has built-in speakers, so i'm just wondering if anyone here has one, or if not, can you give me any advice or recommend another monitor within the same price range. 

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By nanikore

I don't have one myself, but Asus monitors tend to be very good.

Evolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Evolution

Read the reviews. All looks fine to me.. 24" is actually a really nice size. This one seems to have some good inputs, so you're covered on almost everything you plug into it (pc and gaming wise, anyway) 

I say go for it.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Slippy

BenQ are a good make too. I have a BenQ E2200HD as my gaming monitor and its fucking awesome. That one looks like it has several connections on it so you should be able to have your PC and your 360 plugged in at once. One thing i'd recommend is pairing it with a decent set of 2.1 speakers as the built-in speakers on these things are usually ass. The 360 can output video through HDMI and audio through the composite lead at the same time if you crack open the plastic on the end of the lead.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iam3green

nice to see that someone is making the upgrade to HD. once u upgrade ur just going to be like wow look how better this looks in HD. i remember when i upgraded my tv to HD. i just said wow this looks awesome.

Izaak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Izaak

A challenger appears! :  The Viewsonic  VX2260WM 
 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001J2YYZ0/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p23_t4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0JCMNBRPDTYHZ75X03YR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294 

I've just realised that a 22" one may be more ideal to fit in my room, but there's also a 22" Asus model, similar to the one I originally posted. The reviews for both of these all seem really positive. Fuck, now i really can't decide, any thoughts? Which should I go for?

Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Skillface

I approve of your icon wholeheartedly.

As for your monitor situation, I've heard good things about Asus monitors.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By TheHBK

Both nice monitors, but I would go with the Asus one, just looks nicer and you get those extra 2 inches.  You may want to justify the lower price and smaller screen by saying it will fit into your room better, but trust me, unless you are buying a huge TV or something, 24 inches is always the way to go with a monitor if you can go that way.  But you cant go wrong with the 22 incher.  Just make sure which ever you get, they are 1080p, which these two are.

fooflighter737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fooflighter737
Izaak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Izaak

Eventually I settled on an LG Flatron W2361V.  
   http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00261VAMI/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=054TK2QZDMH9KHWW9DHG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

It arrived today, I hooked it up to my 360 and was blown away :).  
Played a bit of MW2 in 1080p, and saying it's a massive improvement from my 18inch standard def TV is an understatement :). It also sounds awesome hooked up to my 2.1 speakers.  
So yeah, it was a fantastic purchase, and I'm glad i didn't go for the Asus or Viewsonic, I've read bad reviews on their quality and response rate.  I highly recommend the LG  W2361V for anyone looking for a cheap but quality HD monitor.  
Thanks for your help guys :).