Using their own titles, subtitles, and slogan. Spoil all the games! i.e What is a Zero Dawn?

Avatar image for sometingbanuble
sometingbanuble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

*Spoiler (hopefully) to all games to follow.* The titles, slogans, and taglines for games are usually some insight to the nature of a game. Think ‘Breath of the Wild’ or ‘Link Between Worlds.’ Explain the entire premise down to the gnat’s ass of any game of your choosing using only the provided titles, subtitles, or taglines. Further examples and the one that I’m curious about is what is a ‘zero dawn?’ I’m not curious enough to play the game. But I’d really like to know if it has something to begin with starting from nothing after society’s collapse. Or is zero everything to do with ones and zeros. After we collectively get that sorted. Let’s move on to every game. Buckle up.

Mods: really need your support on keeping thread on track. Thanks in advance.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

"Horizon" actually makes less sense in context than "Zero Dawn," which is the project name of a last-ditch effort to save humanity in the face of a robot apocalypse that's very central to the story.

sometingbanuble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sometingbanuble

@banefirelord: I think it’s going to be a little more sophisticated than that.

Horizon- something that is on the cusp or about to happen.

Zero- nothing.

Dawn - the beginning

Names can be nothing burgers or tell you everything you need to know. It’s like Quantum of Solace. What it quantifiably requires to be comfortable. If you watch that movie going in knowing that you should come out of the movie with what the authors has defined it as, for you. In that case if a dictator has the appearance of control (in that case he ceded control water to specter, also not just a name) is he comfortable with knowing that he really isn’t in control.

So I’m really not getting what I’m asking for out of your horizon zero dawn explanation other than the plot device.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@sometingbanuble: Sometimes an answer is very simple and not terribly interesting. That's all there is to Zero Dawn.

sometingbanuble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noted. Now if you want to rack your brain for something that isn't 'simple,' we are all here for that.

Besetment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Why do you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

sometingbanuble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@sometingbanuble: You literally asked "what is a zero dawn." That's the answer. There's not a metaphor to dissect here. If you're trying to do a "what do you think the game is about based on the title alone" thing, you did a terrible job articulating it and you're also being weirdly abrasive about it.

sometingbanuble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sometingbanuble

@banefirelord: Now that we are there. Thoughts? As if these companies don't dedicate thought to these things. I'm not asking what Cyberpunk 2077 means. Next your going to tell me The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt subtitle is there becaue they drew the letters 'W' and 'H' during a heated game of Scrabble (scrambled+assembled... nah) at CDProjekt headquarters. No thought. No metaphors here. Wild Hunt = Hunt wild animals. Done. Where's my check? Not a metaphorical check. An actual check. I know it's direct deposit. And check is metaphor for payment. Done?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@sometingbanuble: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is not a generic title about hunting wild animals. The Wild Hunt is from European folklore, and The Witcher book series incorporates a version of it in the series' lore as mystery spectral riders that appear seemingly at random across the continent. The true nature of the Wild Hunt was explored in the later books, and the third game heavily involves The Wild Hunt in the story.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm guessing the real reason is that a marketing team decided the name sounded cool and then found a way to make sense of it in the story afterward.

sometingbanuble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollywoo: say egg before chicken. Interesting.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wollywoo

"Zero Dawn" could also just mean "the dawn of our cool new sci-fi IP." And "Horizon" to me indicates "open world" as in: look at that mountain on the horizon! You can go there! (...just don't expect to be able climb it unless you use our special footholds in certain paths.)

Besetment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sometingbanuble: That isn't the correct answer. Try again, and this time answer in the specific yet ill-explained way I want you to reply.