Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I've already been thinking up ideas for a horror story involving something like this.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By EuanDewar

Man, this stuff is always mad fascinating. The wired article is cray, spesh the last part.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/09/ff_uvb76/all/

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Monopolized

I want to listen to this live, there is a justin tv stream.. but no audio which seems redundant.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ChadMasterFlash
@MariachiMacabre said:
I've already been thinking up ideas for a horror story involving something like this.
Audio book no story just 5 hours of the radio signal would scare the ever living shit out of me.
Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
@MariachiMacabre
I was doing the same thing when it was playing except a little more sci fi. Super cool.
GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By GTCknight

I remember when I heard the noise during the podcast (that was my first time I had ever heard of this), I thought that it could be some base that was forgotten by the military and was simply continuing to do what it was meant to do. Then, I heard the part about it having moved to another location.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PolygonSlayer

Kinda reminds me of that radio/TV signal that gets broadcast in Japan when an earthquake over a certain size gets detected... but this being one that goes on constantly :s

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Lava

I've been listening to it here at work. I got one of the audio stream links here: http://uvb-76.net/ to work.

HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HotSauceMagik

Its things like this and the Bloop that make me feel awesome inside. Its so nuts that there are still things on earth that are 100% un-explainable. Fucking awesome.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Tomzombie: I've never even heard of this and it's right up my alley! So there are no explanations or rumors as to what this military station is possibly about?

Edit. I just skimmed through the PDF you posted. I'm still confused and a little creeped out by it all, but it's still awesomely interesting nonetheless.

@HotSauceMagik: Yeah, this stuff fascinates the hell outta me as well. There are so many natural and man-made mysteries yet to solve in the world.

Tomzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tomzombie

http://soundcloud.com/danix111 this dude has different conversions record form the station. most of the recoreds sound the same just a man or a women saying different names and numbers.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By buzz_killington

Holy shit it is fucking crazily creepy.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I love this stuff, posting so I remember to listen to these recordings.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By CaLe

What is the fascination? I feel like I'm missing out on something cool and I have no idea what it is.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hatking

It's freaky. I'd love to see a horror film based on this.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By rachelepithet

Fuck the bloop, check out that "slow down" one. The sound of an engine dying without any previous hint at one running.

HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HotSauceMagik

@boocreepyfootdoctor: Yeah man. I knew there was another good one, Just couldn't remember what it was. That one is awesome too.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zagzagovich

Do you guys need this translated? I can help you if you want.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By MachoFantastico

Spent way to much time yesterday reading about number stations, became rather obsessed. Fascinating subject. 

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By MachoFantastico
@MariachiMacabre said:
Same here, I like writing (no matter that I'm pretty crap) and was inspired by the sounds. Pretty sure everything that could be written about them as already been written though.
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Capum15

It would make sense if it was militaristic in nature. The "Dead Hand" network theory would be cool, as would a few others, but it's probably just something militaristic / governmental.

Here's something you guys might enjoy if you're into odd stuff like this - the SCP list/site.

hojufixter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hojufixter

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

Fuck the bloop, check out that "slow down" one. The sound of an engine dying without any previous hint at one running.

Spot on with the engine sound. Can't be that though, right?

Also, the bloop is crazy because of the range it was heard, like 5000km!

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By L44

@ZagZagovich said:

Do you guys need this translated? I can help you if you want.

That would be so cool if could have a go at the Soundcloud file in the OP.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OldGuy

@TrueEnglishGent said:

Spent way to much time yesterday reading about number stations, became rather obsessed. Fascinating subject.

I ran further down the rabbit hole and worked my way thru One-time Pads which led to Shannon level security and the VIC cipher (and my brain melting)...

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#29  Edited By MightyDuck

Just finished reading through the wired article. This stuff is fascinating to me for some reason.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jams

What are the Russians saying in the op's soundcloud link?

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zagzagovich

@L44:

That one seems to be just a test of the stations of some kind. male voices are operators of different stations, one of whom is a major lieutenant (Starshii Praporchic is the Russian term, it's not really a lieutenant but I don't quite know about american army ranks). Female voice seems to be someone who checks if the test went successful. As I gathered each station got a "control call" and had to report to the lady about receiving it. You can also hear a few names but nothing major.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By L44

@ZagZagovich: It's really rad of you to do that, thanks.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zagzagovich

@L44:

If there are any others out there, I'm happy to help. Don't trust my judgment though I know next to nothing about military infrastructure.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By rachelepithet

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MikkaQ

I'm continually tempted to use the buzzer for some kind of remix. Maybe get a bunch of numbers station samples and make some kinda crazy numbers station beat.

Nonapod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nonapod

The fun of this sort of thing is simply that it's unknown. I suspect that most people would be pretty let down to find out that it was just used for encrypted communication of simple messages for the Russian military. While that's kinda cool, it's not as neat-o as some of the wild conspiracy theories and such that have revolved around it for decades.

TheBostonPops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheBostonPops

After listening to the Bombcast today at work I fell hard into the Internet deep with regards to number stations, their transmissions and purpose. The most interesting thing I read regarding "The Buzzer" is that it actually might be functioning as both a standard number station for spies and operatives as well as part of a "Dead Man's Hand." As a Dead Man's Hand, it functions by continuously outputting sound until something major happens (i.e. a nuclear attack) and then stops transmitting the Buzzer, signaling retaliatory nuclear strikes regardless of command ... WHICH IS CUHRAZZZYYYYYY.

That's probably not it's intended purpose but gosh does it give me the heebie jeebies. Sleeping tonight is going to be difficult. Listening to some of the recordings of these number stations make me feel like I live in Silent Hill.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ShaggE

@MariachiMacabre said:

My absolute favorite horror concept is that of an inexplicable radio station (or better yet, TV station) that broadcasts an endless stream of horrible, bizarre, impossible things. I've been toying with it for years, trying to make it original, but I keep getting hung up on the details.

Tomzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Tomzombie

@CaLe: there was talk of ham radios and this radio staion UVB-76 was menched on this weeks podcast. that were it started with me, to learn why the Russians are still broadcasting that station and what audio clues give detail to information about this staytion.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@ShaggE said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

My absolute favorite horror concept is that of an inexplicable radio station (or better yet, TV station) that broadcasts an endless stream of horrible, bizarre, impossible things. I've been toying with it for years, trying to make it original, but I keep getting hung up on the details.

It's an innovative idea, I know. Revolutionary, even.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ShaggE

@MariachiMacabre said:

@ShaggE said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

I'm dead tired right now, so bear with my dumb question, but why the sarcasm? I'm not saying it's original, just filled with untapped potential that I'd love to work with.

If that's not what you're saying, my apologies. Again, I'm half-awake and not fully here.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@ShaggE said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@ShaggE said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

I'm dead tired right now, so bear with my dumb question, but why the sarcasm? I'm not saying it's original, just filled with untapped potential that I'd love to work with.

If that's not what you're saying, my apologies. Again, I'm half-awake and not fully here.

Actually, I was only being sarcastic because I thought you were. To be completely honest I find the idea horrifying in the best way. Something constant coming to an end is a terrifying idea to me.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napalm

@Capum15 said:

It would make sense if it was militaristic in nature. The "Dead Hand" network theory would be cool, as would a few others, but it's probably just something militaristic / governmental.

Here's something you guys might enjoy if you're into odd stuff like this - the SCP list/site.

Holy shit. Are those stories fucking real? Or is that just some strange creative writing pet project?

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Napalm said:

@Capum15 said:

Holy shit. Are those stories fucking real? Or is that just some strange creative writing pet project?

SCP is fiction. Pretty fucking cool stuff, though.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Capum15
@MariachiMacabre said:

@Napalm said:

@Capum15 said:

SCP is fiction. Pretty fucking cool stuff, though.

Yeah, it's fiction, but pretty damn well done. By far, my favorite SCP is 504, " Critical Tomatoes". Hilarious. Anyway, look around the site. They have some pretty awesome stories in addition to the list.
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ShaggE

@MariachiMacabre said:

@ShaggE said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@ShaggE said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

Actually, I was only being sarcastic because I thought you were. To be completely honest I find the idea horrifying in the best way. Something constant coming to an end is a terrifying idea to me.

Ohhh, I see what happened there. Heh, yeah, it's allegorical to the concept of death, and the fascination with death. Deep down, we *want* the station to cut as we listen, just to see what happens. Maybe nuclear war, maybe something supernatural, maybe nothing at all... but we still want to see for ourselves.

In the story I've been kicking around, people become dependent on the station, in spite of their fear and disgust, because it makes everything else mundane. They want to know how far it can go, and what will happen if and when it ends.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kindgineer

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Honestly, when I think of it, I believe we all have seen way too many horror movies. However, I know how fun it is to get worked up about something so I'll probably look into it later. Be extremely creepy if half the stuff I've read is even remotely true.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@ShaggE said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@ShaggE said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@ShaggE said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

Ohhh, I see what happened there. Heh, yeah, it's allegorical to the concept of death, and the fascination with death. Deep down, we *want* the station to cut as we listen, just to see what happens. Maybe nuclear war, maybe something supernatural, maybe nothing at all... but we still want to see for ourselves.

In the story I've been kicking around, people become dependent on the station, in spite of their fear and disgust, because it makes everything else mundane. They want to know how far it can go, and what will happen if and when it ends.

This just makes me thing that UVB-76 is just an early warning system for the inevitable return of the White Walkers and if it ever goes out we'll know we're fucked.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ShaggE

@MariachiMacabre said:

@ShaggE said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@ShaggE said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@ShaggE said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

This just makes me thing that UVB-76 is just an early warning system for the inevitable return of the White Walkers and if it ever goes out we'll know we're fucked.

I had to look that up, as I don't watch Game o' Thrones, but your theory seems sound. Ice beards are the third biggest threat to humanity, right behind a mechanical Bill Murray and whatever KFC creates to outdo the Double Down.