VELVET ASSASSIN - New Sexy Stealth Spy Wartime Game!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SirStealth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SirStealth

Hey everyone, check out this new game:  "VELVET ASSASSIN"
A new, sexy wartime female spy / stealth RPG!

I don't know, but I need a change from playing acrobatic Lara Croft in Tomb Raider!
I've been looking for something a little steathier, mixed up with a little wartime Castle Wolfenstein.  This one seems to fit the bill.

It will be released sometime around August /September 2008.  It will be on PC and several Console platforms.

You take on the role of Violette Summer, an undercover British Intelligence agent fighting against German forces in 1945, who becomes number one on the German forces’ hit list. The hunter becomes the hunted.

Official Website:
http://velvetassassin.com

Premier Discussion Forum
http://velvetassassinforums.com

Official Publisher:
http://www.gamecockmedia.com

Official Game Developer:
http://www.replaystudios.de

What do you guys think about this one?  :-)
Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By Termite

You speak as though you were somehow affiliated or perhaps even working for the company making this game.

And your name is SirStealth....fishy

Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Schizoid

I heard about this game a couple of months back, haven't seen any new media for a while.

SirStealth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SirStealth
Termite said:
"You speak as though you were somehow affiliated or perhaps even working for the company making this game.

And your name is SirStealth....fishy
"
LMFAO... are you serious? ???

I don't work for any of the companies related to this game.  I'm just a normal individual like you.
WTF is so 'fishy' about my username?

A very nice way to welcome a newbie to the boards, I must say!  :-D
SirStealth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SirStealth
Schizoid said:
"I heard about this game a couple of months back, haven't seen any new media for a while.
"
If you Google "Velvet Assassin Video" or similar, you'll find lots of in-game footage.
Looks pretty hot.

I also found this write up posted by a moderator on the velvetassassinforums. 
Lots of info on game mechanics and environment.  I've copied below:

I noticed a moderator on velvet assassins forum has posted more info on the mechanics and environment of the game.  Sounds amazing!
I've copied the information below:

Introduction:
Inspired by the real-life story of Violette Szabo, a British secret agent during World War II who undertook two missions into German-occupied France before being captured and executed at the age of 23, Velvet Assassin is a stealth game that tries to recreate the danger of her life. In it, you play as Violette Summer, a woman in much the same position. Working with MI6 she's charged with helping take down the Third Reich, one mission at a time, so over the course of the game you'll infiltrate a number of locations to do things like assassinate VIPs, destroy docks and– presumably– rescue fellow allies.

Gameplay Mechanics:
The gameplay mechanics are centered around sneaking, and Velvet Assassin employs a very cut-and-dry system. Here's the skinny – if Violette's moving while crouching (aka sneaking), she can't be heard. If she's moving– even slowly– standing up, she'll make noise and can attract guards. If she's in the shadows, she'll glow with a purple outline and be effectively invisible. Similarly, guards have three states– passive, suspicious and alarmed. If a guard is suspicious you'll be able to get him back to passive if you can hide quickly enough, whereas once a guard is alert he'll call in other guards.

The system, while far from subtle, does mean that you always know where you stand. It also means you can stand in the shade of a fence - outside, in the middle of the day - with a guard only a few meters away, completely safe. Guess that must be why there's no cover system… apparently you don't need to hide. Nonetheless, the basic gameplay is much the same as many stealth games– stick to the shadows, observe the guards and watch their routines, then wait for your moment to systematically take them out, being sure to move any bodies out of sight.Stealth kills are as simple as creeping up behind a guard and hitting a button, and they're pretty gruesome. Ever knifed a Nazi savagely in the groin from behind, then slit his throat as he drops to his knees? Ever crept up behind a guard, pulled the pin on the grenade on his belt, then laughed as he exploded?

The Morphine System:
There's another major mechanic in the game, and that's the morphine system. Occasionally you'll come across syringes in the game world, which can be used to stop time, letting you stroll up to any guard and brutally execute him. It's perfect for getting out of a bad situation after you've alerted a guard.Now, before the family groups get up in arms, the reason you're taking morphine is tied into Velvet Assassin's story twist. Violette, you see, is actually in a coma. The events of the game are simply her recollections as she lies in her hospital bed, so somehow when she injects herself in the game she's actually being injected in the hospital. Or something. In any case, it's a pretty cool effect when you take morphine in the game– red blood cells float about the screen, and Violette is suddenly in her nightie.It also means there's plenty of potential for interesting story elements that tie together Violette's WWII operationsandwhat happens in the hospital.

Stealth/Attack System
It's not all stealth kills of course. Violette packs a pretty decent arsenal, including Colts, Lugers, MP-40s, shotguns, flamethrowers and grenades. There's also the option to avoid killing almost completely. Violette's able to whistle to lure guards away from their positions, and she can also use silenced weapons in a similar way. Simply shoot a wall near where you want the guard to go and he'll hear the sound of the bullet hitting the wall, as opposed to the shot itself, and investigate. Scientifically inaccurate, sure, but a nice touch.So how does the gameplay progress? Well, experience points can be retrieved from dead guards, which are then used to level up Violette. You can increase the speed of her sneaking for instance, as well as increase her health and how long morphine lasts.

Environments:
Replay Studios have modeled many of the buildings and locations in the game on real life, including Hamburg harbor. The environments feel pretty lived in– clothes strung between windows, buildings shattered by bombs, executed bodies splayed on the ground. You'll also notice other chilling touches such as flashes of light from individual rooms in surrounding buildings– the gunfire of Nazi squads clearing the buildings out.Don't expect Velvet Assassin to be overly realistic in its presentation, however. It's much more hyperreal– particularly in terms of colour, which is used very effectively. We particularly like the rich autumn reds used in many of the outdoor areas of the code we played. The real-time lighting is used reasonably too, from the dynamic shadows cast by walkways underground through to the glare off windows as the sun sets outside, Velvet Assassin often impresses visually.