Video card / monitor compatibility question.

Avatar image for poprocksandsoda
poprocksandsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I'm looking to upgrade my monitor from an old Dell 2470WFP to a LG 34UM69G-B 34". My current monitor doesn't support HDMI so I'm using DVI-D directly from my video card, an EVGA GTX 970, to the monitor. The new LG monitor doesn't support DVI-D judging from the Amazon screenshots.

I don't see an HDMI out on my video card, only the DVI-D. I do have HDMI out via the motherboard. Is that going to work? If it works, will I have degradation of video quality?

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I find it extremely hard to believe a 970 doesn't have an HDMI port, and there's no way in hell it only has a DVI-D port. It should most definitely support Display Port. Use that.

The video out ports on your motherboard would be for the CPU's integrated graphics only (if it has an iGPU).

Spectral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You should double check, I've never seen or heard of a 970 without an HDMI port. I'm pretty sure there will be one on there. That said if somehow there isn't, you can just buy and cable that is DVI at one end and HDMI at the other.

The motherboards HDMI is for the integrated graphics card not the 970. Most motherboards disable that when a proper card is installed. However even if it works you wont want to use it, it is many times weaker than a 970 and pretty much useless for gaming.

poprocksandsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spectral: yeah I was super surprised to not find HDMI out on the card as well. I almost bought the monitor without checking but pulled out the card,dusted it off and only see DVI. Thanks for helping, I'll buy a DVI to HDMI cable, looks like they're about $5

Spectral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spectral

Do you have a link to a pic of the card? Or a model so I can look it up? I'm really curious which 970 doesn't have HDMI. Is it a particularly small version?

I've been looking round and can't find any without it. Are you sure it's not there but with a dust cover on it?

poprocksandsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spectral: Ah Ha! You are right, sir. It had a plastic protective cover over the HDMI which is why I didn't see it. Sorry for the dumbness and thank you for you help!

Spectral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poprocksandsoda: No problem, glad its sorted. Honestly while it sounds it in hindsight, its not that dumb IMO. If you don't know about the dust covers you're not going to be inclined to start pulling bits off your fairly expensive graphics without a reason to do so.