Video games against depression and anxiety

kronixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just wondering if anyone eles has these conditions and play video games?

For me the depression got to a stage where it was so bad i lacked interest in video games entierly and couldnt play multiplayer games cause i was afraid people will have a go at me for being bad (low self esteem)

But now im in my 20s (23 years old) I've felt a switch to be more calmer and relaxed and playing video games distracts me away from my depression and makes my mind work instead of being numb.

I've tried this tactic with other media e.g watching TV, watching other people play video games, music

But nothing is better than using your own mind in a puzzle game or a hard boss encounter and beating it and feeling ive achieved something even if its small.

Anyone eles feel this way?

kronixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also i'm currently playing just cause 3 and that gives you a cool power fantasy i dont feel in real life which is very strong

s3ank1m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So last year I had it really bad with my obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), my symptoms got to the lowest and worst point that they've ever been in my life, essentially to the point where I couldn't even walk outside of my house without being overwhelmed by anxiety which led to me failing almost all my classes that I was taking at the time (since I was showing up to school anymore) as well as losing my job. This eventually led me to start showing signs of depression since I basically became a non-functioning human being as a result of my disorder. I couldn't do shit without feeling overwhelmingly anxious, even things like getting out of bed was hard every morning.

During this time I played a lot of League of Legends, and a portion of that time was playing with family and friends, which was my only interaction with people outside of my house. The game distracted me from my OCD symptoms and really let my mind go places with very little anxiety and it helped a shit ton while I was receiving therapy for my condition. And since it was my primary source of communication with other people it gave me a sense of presence with other people. I'm pretty sure I would've gotten to the point where I was suicidal because of my condition, had it not been for me getting lost in this game (I wanted to get better, and losses didn't really phase me, so I never really felt legitimately bad losing games). In a nutshell, League probably saved my life to an extent. That and the therapy I was receiving :P

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I, too, find refuge from both depression and anxiety in video games. When I was at my worst several years ago now, games were the only place I felt safe and in control. I didn't need to worry about letting anyone down or being permanently punished for my mistakes. I credit games with helping me survive those rough times.

My symptoms are less severe now, and I have techniques to manage them. But games still provide an escape, as cliche as that may be.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

I have mental illness and games help me as well as my other hobbies. Games provide an escape. It relieves stress and provides entertainment for me.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I'm mentally ill as well, but luckily have done alright for myself. I wouldn't call games an 'escape', it's more of a release. I'm one of those people that loves to cover myself in the bleak, the depressing, and the morbid when it comes to games. This is why horror is typically my favorite genre. I do this for many reasons, but the best one that I can describe is that I find comfort in knowing that I'm not alone and games have the distinct advantage of showing us that we're not alone, not just telling us. I'm not escaping anything, I'm just able to release my emotions for a brief time and find solace.

Quizas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games always apperaed for me as a thing to help overcoming depressions and troubles, couse when you solve a problem in game, you feel more confident for resolving problems in real life - at least that's how I feel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have clinical depression I remember feeling it first really bad in 1995 so it's been a long road been on tons of antidepressants over the years they just made me feel worst. Gaming to me has helped me get through some serious bad times I always will have a connection to gaming forever.