Wait... FF13-2 looks like... Chrono Trigger 3D suddenly...

• 180 results
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jay444111

Okay... I really needed to post this for the certain fact that this looks like a FF version of Chrono Trigger, I mean, holy crap. Just look at the damn trailer! It even has the place at the end of time for all things good!

Now I know people here hate FF because... hipsters and all that, but I didn't find FF13 to be a bad game at all, hell, all it practically did was cut out the crappy overworld and just decided to make it linear instead. Story wasn't bad and the only character I hated was Vanille. even then... she isn't that bad.

This game however looks like a HUGE upgrade from the first in almost all ways... actually, it isn't just a basic reimagining of chrono trigger, but also looks like they are taking a CRAPTON of influences from FF7 actually. Of course... that look like that way to me because I am playing it for the first time ever now in reality. (Loving it.)

Does anyone else see the Chrono Trigger/FF7 sort of deal going on here?

Edit, I even noticed a Schala knock off in that trailer too.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By onarum

Please, do not, under any circumstances desecrate the name of Chrono trigger by putting it in the same sentence as final fantasy 13, or any FF for that matter.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jay444111

@onarum said:

Please, do not, under any circumstances desecrate the name of Chrono trigger by putting it in the same sentence as final fantasy 13, or any FF for that matter.

Yep, I knew it, hipster hate crowd. FF13 is basically FF10 Except without an airship and towns. Not as good yes, but not even close to bad. Now can we get some people who actually want to contribute to the topic in a meaningful way.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheHumanDove

@onarum said:

This

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

@onarum said:

Hipster status confirmed.

As someone that really enjoyed FFXIII and who had a chance to play the XIII-2 demo at PAX, I'm really looking forward to the sequel. It's everything I loved about XIII, and the only changes made were to things that needed improvement.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By donchipotle

I liked FF13. I did not like Chrono Trigger. I think this mash up of similar styles could be good. But then, I already think FF 13-2 looks good.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By soldierg654342

@Jay444111 said:

Now I know people here hate FF because... hipsters and all that

You're what's wrong with the internet.

Let's just marginalized all complaints and criticism by calling people "haters' and "hipsters," that way we don't have to actually examine the things we like critically because nothings ever wrong with them.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By ESREVER

I'm not gonna comment on the FF13-2/Chrono Trigger comparison because I have no idea(or would like to have no idea) of the happenings in FF13-2. I am avoiding watching the trailer because SE is shitty at not showing massive spoilers that lessen the effect of certain plot twists or dramatic scenes in their trailers. I watched one trailer called Despair or whatever, and I immediately regretted watching it cause it showed a bunch of shit I wish I did not see.

That said, I'm looking forward to FF13-2. I enjoyed FF13 a lot. Fang is awesome. If FF13-2 is a 3d version of chrono trigger (which I highly doubt) then more power to it.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By chrissedoff

all final fantasy games are bad and that will never ever change

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Clinkz

They are soooooooo bad at making trailers. The angsty voice acting clips along with shitty R&B/pop music does not make for a good snippet of your game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel

@SoldierG654342 said:

@Jay444111 said:

Let's just marginalized all complaints and criticism by calling people "haters' and "hipsters," because fuck progress and thinking critically about things.

Or he might be targeting those that spout hate with no actual justification. You know, like this guy:

@chrissedoff said:

all final fantasy games are bad and that will never ever change

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Clinkz

@DonChipotle said:

I liked FF13. I did not like Chrono Trigger. I think this mash up of similar styles could be good. But then, I already think FF 13-2 looks good.

Also, Chrono Trigger was amazing. Any game that has Chrono in the first part of the title is amazing.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 9cupsoftea

FF13 was wonderful, so was Chrono Trigger, but I don't see the comparison. For me, the greatest thing about Chrono Trigger was the switches in tone and I don't see FF13-2 doing anything like that. I'm sure they're going to make it more 'traditional' (ie, deriviative, grindy, and bland) to compensate for the hate 13 got.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By donchipotle

@Clinkz said:

@DonChipotle said:

Also, Chrono Trigger was amazing. Any game that has Chrono in the first part of the title is amazing.

Three games prove this statement false:

Chrono Quest

Chrono Soldier

Chrono Trigger

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jay444111

@Hailinel said:

@onarum said:

As someone that really enjoyed FFXIII and who had a chance to play the XIII-2 demo at PAX, I'm really looking forward to the sequel. It's everything I loved about XIII, and the only changes made were to things that needed improvement.

THANK YOU! Finally someone I can agree with online!

Wouldn't you agree that this seems very... Chrono Triggerish?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hailinel

@Clinkz said:

@DonChipotle said:

I really don't like Chrono Cross. Like, at all.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chrissedoff

@Clinkz said:

They are soooooooo bad at making trailers. The angsty voice acting clips along with shitty R&B/pop music does not make for a good snippet of your game.

actually they're great at making trailers, because they perfectly capture the tone of their games: dull, wussy and melodramatic

edit: oh, and long

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By donchipotle

@Hailinel said:

@Clinkz said:

@DonChipotle said:

I really don't like Chrono Cross. Like, at all.

I think Chrono Cross has a rad soundtrack. Shame about everything else.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hailinel

@Jay444111 said:

@Hailinel said:

@onarum said:

THANK YOU! Finally someone I can agree with online!

Wouldn't you agree that this seems very... Chrono Triggerish?

In a way, yes, though it's really too early to say how Chrono Trigger-like the time travel element will make the game. But if it can live up to positive comparisons to Chrono Trigger, then I'm fine with that.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cloudenvy

Wait...When did people suddenly decide to hate Final Fantasy?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel

@Cloudenvy said:

When it became cool to rag on FFXIII for its linearity, I guess.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Turambar
@Clinkz said:

@DonChipotle said:

Chrono Cross was decidedly unamazing.  That leaves one other game in the franchise, so that kind of praise is moot.  

Also since when did people decide that FF "sucks"?  The acceptable criticisms is that it has plateaued and is now mediocre at best.  Heck, saying the reception to FF13 was any worse than "mixed" is already stretching it.
DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By DeF

@Jay444111: There is nothing in this trailer that relates to Chrono Trigger in any way other than that it seems to revolve around time travel. And not even jump-all-across-time time travel but regular, go-back-to-before-things-were-bad time travel.

koshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By koshka

@SoldierG654342 said:

@Jay444111 said:

Let's just marginalized all complaints and criticism by calling people "haters' and "hipsters," that way we don't have to actually examine the things we like critically because nothings ever wrong with them.

I don't say things like "FFwhatever" was bad game... but I don't like them. What the hell makes me a hipster because I simply don't enjoy any of the Final Fantasy games...?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Turambar
@Koshka said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

@Jay444111 said:

I don't say things like "FFwhatever" was bad game... but I don't like them. What the hell makes me a hipster because I simply don't enjoy any of the Final Fantasy games...?

Probably because you are superceded by dumb people that say stuff like "all final fantasy games are bad and that will never ever change."  The loudest and most hyperbolic statements get the most attention, for better or for worse.  Kinda why the OP's comments of anyone disliking FF is a hipster, a hyperbolic comment unto itself, is getting so much attention.
Raequbear87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Raequbear87

I enjoyed playing FFXIII for the most part, especially the battle system. Although I couldn't get past the feeling that the majority of the game felt like the introductory chapters in previous FFs, where you're being shuttled through linear environments and tutorials whilst the narrative is being set up. I just wish it had more moments of down-time and exploration. Plus I got that rainbow song stuck in my head for days . . . disturbingly catchy.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hailinel

@Koshka said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

@Jay444111 said:

There is a difference between saying something akin to "Final Fantasy sux and everyone that likes it is a weeaboo!!!111" and saying "I don't think these games are very good because (*insert intelligent reasoning based on personal preferences and experience here*)."

I am not saying that you fall into the first camp, just to be clear, but there are those that do take that stance, or stances similar to it. If you really don't like the games and can express why in a way that's both reasonable and not an attack against those that do like the games, then you really don't have anything to worry about.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By JasonR86

@Jay444111:

I'm not getting the Chrono Trigger reference. It does look better then 13 though. That said, I'm not all that interested.

koshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By koshka

@Turambar said:

@Koshka said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

@Jay444111 said:

Probably because you are superceded by dumb people that say stuff like "all final fantasy games are bad and that will never ever change." The loudest and most hyperbolic statements get the most attention, for better or for worse. Kinda why the OP's comments of anyone disliking FF is a hipster, a hyperbolic comment unto itself, is getting so much attention.

Sometimes I feel like I'm a bit too blind to inflammatory comments. I never did do well on internet forums... u,u'

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Animasta

@Hailinel said:

@Cloudenvy said:

you forgot FFXIV

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@Cloudenvy said:

you forgot FFXIV

In all honesty, I think most people have. It's really not fair to judge the series as a whole on the MMO installments, though.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Animasta

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@Cloudenvy said:

you forgot FFXIV

In all honesty, I think most people have. It's really not fair to judge the series as a whole on the MMO installments, though.

but you have forgotten that this is the internet, where people judge things based on 1 minute trailers

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hailinel

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@Cloudenvy said:

you forgot FFXIV

but you have forgotten that this is the internet, where people judge things based on 1 minute trailers

Of course. How silly of me.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zeforgotten

@Cloudenvy said:

When it became the cool thing to do. Halo, CoD, MoH and others have already been through, FFs turn was coming up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm keeping pretty free of any FF26 information, and keeping my expectations rock bottom low... that way, it can be a pleasant surprise when it's alright.  And an incredible surprise if it's great (though I kind of doubt the latter).

I liked the combat of FF13.  The first 6 chapters were awful, really awful.. the last 7 chapters were great.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CL60

@Cloudenvy said:

They removed the illusion that it was open and took out towns in FF13, so now it's the worst franchise in the history of everything.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LiquidSwords

People taking a Jay444111 thread seriously, wow.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By icicle7x3
@onarum said:
FFVI > Chrono Trigger
Ersanven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ersanven

FF13 was terrible and all the characters were cheap JRPG stereotypes except for Sazh. The story was a mess that took itself way too seriously. Almost every attempt at pathos either made me sick or had me laughing. It was so linear it was barely a game. Not to mention the battle system ripping control out of your hands. I don't have much hope for FF13-2 as the characters look and sound like ultra generic square characters. Everything about it just seemed immature and backward.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By BabyChooChoo

So apparently you're a hipster if you don't like FF13? God forbid someone truly, honestly doesn't like something. Fuck outta here with that noise

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By raviolisumo

I'm still slogging my way through 13. Lost my 25 hour save (right before it gets "good") so now I'm going through all of the early game stuff again. It really rubs me the wrong way that you think someone must be a hipster for not liking 13 but that's its own thing. I'm hoping 13-2 is actually fun because 13 (what I've played) is the opposite of that. No I'm not some bandwagon hate-train riding guy. I've played 1,4,7, and 9 and found all of those quite fun (9 the most so). So watching this trailer has me really disappointed. The character design seems like it's on the level of Kingdom Hearts (which is bad, but can be said of most of the PS2/Post PS2 era Square-Enix stuff so that too is its own thing) and it has a lot of the characters from 13 which is probably my least favorite part of that entire game. I don't really see the Chrono Trigger comparisons at all, can OP fill me please? How can you say 13-2 looks like a huge upgrade at all? It looks like it has a similar battle system which was the best part of 13. What exactly is making this game better in any way? This is the first 13-2 thing I've paid any kind of attention to, so if they've said some actual details somewhere then forgive my ignorance.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EuanDewar

Pretty sure I haven't seen "Hipster" used correctly in this thread yet.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By Jimbo

The start of Final Fantasy 13 is sooooooo shit.  Maybe it gets better, but I wasn't going to suffer through any more of it to find out.  If the start had been even the least bit engaging I would have given it the benefit of the doubt and stuck with it, but it wasn't.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By time allen

ff13 was really bad and it never struck me as a game that needed a sequel. interested to see if they can turn it around with this, but i'm really not optimistic about this at all.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By EchoEcho

@CL60 said:

They removed the illusion that it was open and took out towns in FF13, so now it's the worst franchise in the history of everything.

@Hailinel said:

Apparently it's also cool to make sweeping generalizations about why people don't like something?

I dislike FFXIII because I think it's terribly written, has poor characters, lousy story structure, and has really lazy consistency with the world's internal logic versus game designer logic. It's incredibly self-serious and melodramatic, expecting emotional reactions from things at every turn simply because Square thinks you should have them, not because the story has given you a good reason to.

Much of the major character development is completely contrived, because the writers apparently have no idea how it's supposed to work, or were just too lazy to make it happen naturally over the course of the story. The only character I even kind of liked in the game was Sazh, and he gets super marginalized as the story progresses. He's also fairly terrible in combat, giving you little reason to keep him around outside of the cutscenes.

Also not a fan of their decision to make the ridiculous, over-the-top nature of Advent Children the standard for cutscene choreography now.

As far as the actual gameplay is concerned: the combat system pretty much gets a big shrug from me. Some aspects of it are all right, but there's a lot that gets on my nerves. And I do think the game would have benefited from being more than a corridor crawl from cutscene to cutscene. So I guess that makes me a hipster, eh?

Opinions, people: not everyone is going to share them. I really don't appreciate having terms like "hipster" thrown around prematurely and being turned into a blanket statement about people who don't agree with you.

Edit:

@Ersanven said:

FF13 was terrible and all the characters were cheap JRPG stereotypes except for Sazh. The story was a mess that took itself way too seriously. Almost every attempt at pathos either made me sick or had me laughing. It was so linear it was barely a game. Not to mention the battle system ripping control out of your hands. I don't have much hope for FF13-2 as the characters look and sound like ultra generic square characters. Everything about it just seemed immature and backward.

This, exactly. Put in much more concise terms than I managed, apparently.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By GreggD

@Cloudenvy said:

Since Square fucked up with XIII, I guess.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CL60

@GreggD said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Since Square fucked up with XIII, I guess.

But they didn't.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lockwoodx

That trailer was so Japanese I feel the need to go eat a cheeseburger now to feel American again.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Axersia

Y'know what I do whenever a new FFXIII-2 trailer gets posted? 

Watch this instead: 

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Olivaw

Final Fantasy XIII is a Final Fantasy game with no exploration.

How in the fuck did that happen.