want to become a pc gamer

mugugipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mugugipan

want to become a pc gamer. Need advise. Anybody got anything.

code305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By code305

start out with buying a PC that can  play any games.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By kush

Buy a PC...then buy a PC game.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz
Kush said:
"Buy a PC...then buy a PC game."
This is all you need to know.
thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By thordain

1.Buy a PC
2.Buy a PC game
3.Repeat step 2 till you give up and go back to your mindless Halo.

mugugipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mugugipan
code305 said:
"start out with buying a PC that can  play any games."
any hardware advise. I kind of want to put a pc together. Can anybody suggest anything with a hdmi port built in the mother board.
I have a 1680x1050 hdtv.
PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By PitifullPete

I think PC games are best enjoyed at your desk. The hdmi port would be provided by your graphics card. Seriously, you got to learn to pose questions.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#8  Edited By joey

Get a laptop. Those are usually great for gaming, and they're portable.

gahathat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By gahathat

In terms of hardware on the cheap, I would recommend:

GeForce 8800 or 9800 gt ($100-150)
Intel Dual Core 2 Duo ($150-$250)
Asus/Gigabyte Motherboard. Get one that supports PCI Express cards for the graphics card. (~$100)
Rosewill/Cooler Master 500W+ power supply
The rest of the components, like hard drive and dvd-rom are pretty equal. Find one that isn't made by a random company and you should be fine. 

You can find good deals on www.newegg.com. A great way to find the best product is by sorting by the most reviews to see what other people are buying. Good Luck!
mugugipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mugugipan
Gahathat said:
"In terms of hardware on the cheap, I would recommend:
Asus/Gigabyte Motherboard. Get one that supports PCI Express cards for the graphics card. (~$100)
The rest of the components, like hard drive and dvd-rom are pretty equal. Find one that isn't made by a random company and you should be fine. 

You can find good deals on www.newegg.com. A great way to find the best product is by sorting by the most reviews to see what other people are buying. Good Luck!
"
thanks buddy, what do you think of blu ray. Necessary or un-necessary?
Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wuffi

if you can try to research and build your own if you think you can, if not dell  is usually pretty good with xps series.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187
Gahathat said:

"
Don't listen to this guy, he's totally steering you wrong.  It takes at least $5,000 - $6,000 in order to get even a moderate gaming rig.  Just stick to the console and leave the PC gaming to us.  kthxbai
OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13  Edited By OGCartman
mugugipan said:
thanks buddy, what do you think of blu ray. Necessary or un-necessary?"
Un-necessary man.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By BiggerBomb

Maybe you should go PC, those PC gamers are far superior to us lesser console gamers.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Black_Raven
jakob187 said:
"Gahathat said:

"
Don't listen to this guy, he's totally steering you wrong.  It takes at least $5,000 - $6,000 in order to get even a moderate gaming rig.  Just stick to the console and leave the PC gaming to us.  kthxbai"
$5,000 to $6,000? How did you come up with that price? You could build an awesome rig with that amount of money and lets be serious, been a PC gamer doesn't mean you need a $6,000 rig. What do you consider a "moderate gaming rig" anyway? Because i think your definition of it is way different to mine....
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jakob187
Black_Raven said:
"$5,000 to $6,000? How did you come up with that price? You could build an awesome rig with that amount of money and lets be serious, been a PC gamer doesn't mean you need a $6,000 rig. What do you consider a "moderate gaming rig" anyway? Because i think your definition of it is way different to mine...."
Here's the equation I used to come up with that price:
First-time PC gamer + used to console gaming + inexperience with keyboard & mouse = N + my gameplay experience
N = lack of teamwork and understanding of game being played to the point of pissing me off and making me yell mean things at the kid

In turn, the price is equivalent to the amount of pain he'll be causing me when I'm playing.

If you noticed my later post, though, I posted up specs on some systems that we are selling here at my workplace...that are $400.  lol  = D
bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By bjorno
joey said:
"Get a laptop. Those are usually great for gaming, and they're portable."
hah ha hahahahahahahahaha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HAHAHAHAHAH ha HAHAHAHAh oh man
ha.
Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lunarbunny

jakob187 is just trolling.

Anyway, I don't recommend a laptop for gaming. For the most part not upgradable and have problems with overheating.

The Radeon HD4850 is about $150 right now. I'm running 2 of them in CrossFire myself.
Core 2 Duos or Quads are typically the best price right now, i7 is new and expensive. AMD is playing catch-up right now.
DDR2 is typically the best deal for the money.

Anyway, a pretty darn good computer you make yourself shouldn't cost more than about $1200. From a manufacturer might cost you a bit more. If you're really trying to stretch your money, you can probably get some cheaper parts and get something together for $700.

ANY video card with DVI-I or DVI-D ports is HDMI compatible - the HDMI video specification is DVI-D. You simply need an adapter or adapter cable. My ASUS ATI HD4850s came with 2 DVI to HDMI adapters each.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jakob187
Lunarbunny said:
"jakob187 is just trolling."
Just for that one comment.  Everything after is completely serious.
Lunarbunny said:
"The Radeon HD4850 is about $150 right now. I'm running 2 of them in CrossFire myself.
Core 2 Duos or Quads are typically the best price right now, i7 is new and expensive. AMD is playing catch-up right now.
DDR2 is typically the best deal for the money."
We're actually going to be going with the Antec 900 cases with HD4850 cards and Core 2 Duo processors on our new rigs.  I can't remember the power supply we're getting, but they've got amazing reviews and our new tech guy said that he's never seen one go out.  They should be pretty sweet.

However, do we really want to introduce this kid to PC gaming with an uber-powerful rig?  He needs to get used to stuff first before he goes head-diving into the big leagues.

If you seriously want a rig that you can upgrade down the line but will get you introduced, I'm sure that my boss can work up some kind of arrangement if you are interested in one of our rigs.  You can go to www.lansharx.com for some pictures of the computers and such.
TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By TomA

Ya,after you get the PC.Get on some PC forums and just play some PC games,and get a steam account right off the bat,it's a great community.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187
TomA said:
"Ya,after you get the PC.Get on some PC forums and just play some PC games,and get a steam account right off the bat,it's a great community."
Yeah, that's a great idea:  get Team Fortress 2 and find out that you can't hold up in those online matches.  Great tip there, sir.
Dood, pick up some single player shooters just to get good at aiming and quick turns, then get into the online gaming community.  Otherwise, you will not have fun at all...

...unless you enjoy losing.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

To practice your FPS skills download Urban Terror for free. I'll be glad to play some DM with you.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187
Bellum said:
"To practice your FPS skills download Urban Terror for free. I'll be glad to play some DM with you."
I was thinking of something different, like maybe Call of Duty 2.  That pretty much stands out in my mind as one of the greatest FPS games ever made.  It wouldn't hurt to pick up a copy of Unreal 2004 just to get used to fast-paced games as well.
And C&C Generals is a good one to work on your base RTS skills.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes but Urban Terror is free. :P

Call of Duty 2 does have an excellent single player campaign. Really, for your classic FPS skills, though, it may be best to try something based on the Quake or Source engines. Never played Unreal myself.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By DualReaver

You ain't cool enough to be one of us. Sorry Kid.

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PitifullPete

UT99 is my favourite MP shooter EVAR. Then TF2.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lunarbunny
jakob187 said:
"However, do we really want to introduce this kid to PC gaming with an uber-powerful rig?  He needs to get used to stuff first before he goes head-diving into the big leagues."

Why be elitist? Why do you think a new gamer shouldn't get a reasonably good PC? He's going to want to play the same popular games as any other PC gamers want to, should a new PC gamer be relegated to low-graphics mode just because he's new?

Now if he doesn't have (or want to spend) the money to buy a good machine, that's another story. But simply saying he shouldn't get a good PC just because he's starting out is is illogical.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Gunner
Bellum said:
"Yes but Urban Terror is free. :P

Call of Duty 2 does have an excellent single player campaign. Really, for your classic FPS skills, though, it may be best to try something based on the Quake or Source engines. Never played Unreal myself."
Take that back... CoD2 is the best online FPS i have ever played in my entire life if you want to play competitively. It has so much strategy and skill involved during S&D matches that its not even funny, by far the best choice. Sure if you want to go with a fast paced shooter UT2004 or Quake would be a fine choice but most of those games are spray contests.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jakob187
Lunarbunny said:
"Why be elitist? Why do you think a new gamer shouldn't get a reasonably good PC? He's going to want to play the same popular games as any other PC gamers want to, should a new PC gamer be relegated to low-graphics mode just because he's new?

Now if he doesn't have the money to buy a good machine, that's another story. But simply saying he shouldn't get a good PC just because he's starting out is is illogical."
CoD2 and UT2004 are low graphics?  I'm sorry, we must be talking about something different.
I'm talking about him not spending a walloping amount of money just to get into the PC side of gaming, so he can get used to the controls and how to play them...and play them well...

Then go out and spend a shitload on your gaming rig and start kicking some fucking ass.  Hell, most of the games that are coming out would STILL run perfectly fine on the rig I listed off.  Just because the gear in it may be 2 or 3 years old, that doesn't mean they don't work well.

Then, if he doesn't enjoy PC gaming, he can easily have a good computer that he didn't put a ton of money out on and still enjoy his console gaming.  There is perfect logic to what I'm saying.  You just think I'm trying to undersell the kid.  Company of Heroes, World in Conflict, Supreme Commander, Call of Duty 4, and Gears of War all run without flaws set to high settings on these rigs we have, so why should he have to get the latest and greatest to enjoy PC gaming?  Here I am, trying to help a dood for once and not be a complete asshole, and I'm being criticized for it?  Yeesh, and you people wonder why I'm never nice!!!

Besides, if he's seriously just getting into PC gaming for the graphics, then he needs to stick to consoles and leave us PC gamers be.  For that matter, with your "low-graphics mode" comment...it would make me wonder why YOU are playing PC games...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gunner said:
"Bellum said:
"Yes but Urban Terror is free. :P

Call of Duty 2 does have an excellent single player campaign. Really, for your classic FPS skills, though, it may be best to try something based on the Quake or Source engines. Never played Unreal myself."
Take that back... CoD2 is the best online FPS i have ever played in my entire life if you want to play competitively. It has so much strategy and skill involved during S&D matches that its not even funny, by far the best choice. Sure if you want to go with a fast paced shooter UT2004 or Quake would be a fine choice but most of those games are spray contests."

Back when I was playing CoD2 I didn't have broadband, so I wouldn't know. I wasn't trying to imply that the CoD2 multiplayer was bad or anything.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HandsomeDead

You guys are giving this kid some dodge advice. First, you need the PC, yes, then the games but then you're still not a PC gamer. Then, you need to grow a disgusting neckbeard, gain a misplaced sense of superiority over console gamers and forget how to talk to girls.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's true. You'll also need to learn to circle strafe and if you don't know how to rocket jump it's basically a lost cause.

PC gaming isn't about enjoyment. It's about fragging the shit out of the console kiddies in online matches and learning to install your own motherboard.

Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Wuffi

also need to stop working / going to school and stop taking showers