Was Halo 4 at E3 2012 underwhelming?

killixbytez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By killixbytez

I was really excited to see the gameplay footage of Halo 4 at this year's E3, and by the time I saw it I was unimpressed. I will admit, the graphics do look incredible and the new enemies looked interesting, but everything else was meh tbh. You don't see any climatic and epic battles, but Master Chief walking through narrow spaces and shoot up a bunch of robots. Where as other games from E3 2012 like The Last of Us, Watch Dogs, Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2, Assassin's Creed III, Planetside 2, and Dishonored looked impressive Halo 4 pales in comparison. I'm not here to troll and I hate Call of Duty, but rather expressing how I felt about Halo 4 from E3.

You were too underwhelmed by Halo 4 from E3 2012?

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TopCat88

@killixbytez said:

I'm here to troll and I hate Call of Duty, but rather expressing how I felt about Halo 4 from E3.

Thanks for the warning :p

Personally I thought Halo 4 looked just fine. It's more Halo but by the looks of it with some added Forerunner changes which hopefully will be enough to keep it fresh. I'm sure there will be some more open/big battle sections as this is a hallmark of the series. This looked like it could be the first level which in past halo games is usually the most compact, narrow level. I remain excited for Halo 4.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By kindgineer

Halo 4 looked great, exactly what I thought the franchise needed. New enemies, a new threat, and what looks to be a good story line.

Not sure what there can be to not impress someone, unless that person was already ready to jump on said bandwagon prior to the reveal.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By laserbolts

What does you hating call of duty have to with anything? I swear people will go out of their ways to declare how much they hate call of duty. Anyways I thought halo 4 looked fine. The new enemies they showed look really cool especially the teleporting dudes. It didn't look amazing on a technical level or anything but I was just happy to see something other than covenent.

killixbytez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By killixbytez

@TopCat88 said:

@killixbytez said:

I'm here to troll and I hate Call of Duty, but rather expressing how I felt about Halo 4 from E3.

Thanks for the warning :p

Personally I thought Halo 4 looked just fine. It's more Halo but by the looks of it with some added Forerunner changes which hopefully will be enough to keep it fresh. I'm sure there will be some more open/big battle sections as this is a hallmark of the series. This looked like it could be the first level which in past halo games is usually the most compact, narrow level. I remain excited for Halo 4.

Sorry, I meant to say I'm not there to troll. :P

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By alternate

I think your expectations were too high. I am sure they will have some huge set pieces but you keep them for marketing nearer the time of release. First gameplay reveal if just to show it is the same old halo fans expect with a new lick of paint. If it sells, then maybe they can innovate and put their own stamp on any next gen sequel.

killixbytez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By killixbytez

@laserbolts said:

What does you hating call of duty have to with anything? I swear people will go out of their ways to declare how much they hate call of duty.

I just didn't want the Halo boyz assume I'm a Call of Doody fanboy. As much as I was underwhelmed by Halo 4, it still looked more exciting than Black Ops 2.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Marz

I think the game looks terrific... but at the same time... it's a Halo game... it's not holding my interest

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hughesman

I really enjoyed Reach and ill be interested to see how the first non-bungie halo game turns out. Hey, it might even get me to remove the forza 4 disc from my 360.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By triviaman09

No.

killixbytez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By killixbytez

@alternate said:

I think your expectations were too high. I am sure they will have some huge set pieces but you keep them for marketing nearer the time of release. First gameplay reveal if just to show it is the same old halo fans expect with a new lick of paint. If it sells, then maybe they can innovate and put their own stamp on any next gen sequel.

But they must've shown something more impressive than what they unveiled at E3. Hopefully more exciting footage of the campaign is shown later on. Maybe I'm worried that 343 Industries would screw this series up.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

A lot of things at E3 were underwhelming. Hell, Crysis 3 claimed that it was going to be an open ended shooter and proceeded to show a very linear level.

As for Halo 4, it looks like Halo with some new enemies and different tactics. I won't pass full judgement on either it or Crysis 3 until after release.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EXTomar

It isn't that Halo is bad but it is like asking someone if they are excited about the 8th book in a long running series. I'm sure this one will be fine but does it get me excited? Not really and that isn't bad but it is clearly not excitement either.

killixbytez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By killixbytez

@believer258 said:

A lot of things at E3 were underwhelming. Hell, Crysis 3 claimed that it was going to be an open ended shooter and proceeded to show a very linear level.

As for Halo 4, it looks like Halo with some new enemies and different tactics. I won't pass full judgement on either it or Crysis 3 until after release.

I thought Crysis 3 looked underwhelming too. It's amazing how EA ruined the Crysis series by turning it into a Call of Duty knock-off.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By leinad44

I'm willing to give it a chance. I'm interested what these guys can do with the franchise.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Vinny_Says

I'm not some sort of conaisseur but I long ago realised not to judge a game based on 7 minutes of footage. I was actually impressed by what I saw but then again that whole game can be total shit.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hatking

I'll be buying it, but I didn't think it looked mind-blowing or anything. I might just be getting a bit cynical when it comes to shooters though. I'm more interested in the stuff like Borderlands or Dishonored that have a little more depth than just shooting enemies. Frankly, I just feel I've invested too much into the franchise to not pick up this game. I'm sure it'll be good for what it is though.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks better than expected and looks like it will play as a Halo game.

I'm sold, because that's all I want from Halo.
The presentation showed more than enough.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Yo, it's more Halo. And that's not a bad thing.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Looked pretty rad to me.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Looks better than expected and looks like it will play as a Halo game. I'm sold, because that's all I want from Halo. The presentation showed more than enough.

This.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By JaredA

After the teaser was released at last years E3 I was like "Great, ANOTHER Halo game.", but after watching this years campaign demo and watching some MP matches I have to say I am very excited.

killixbytez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By killixbytez

@OllyOxenFree said:

Yo, it's more Halo. And that's not a bad thing.

I don't mind that it's more Halo. What I do mind was a unimpressive E3 showing.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By big_jon

Looked great.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thatdutchguy

Halo 4 looks pretty shitty to me , i liked Halo 1 when i got my xbox but halo is just being milked right now so i dont give a shit.

this is is the start of Halo being milked like call of duty.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Spoonman671

I didn't think it looked bad, but when I heard people raving about how great it was, I was little confused.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I know this thread was probably created as a troll thread, but I certainly wasn't wowed like so many other people are. I know it's not fair to judge a game on only a few minutes, but what they showed wasn't the parts of Halo that I like. When I think of Halo, I think of big battles in big environments with a lot going on. That demo was basically just Chief running down a corridor and shooting a few enemies. Granted, they were new enemies, and new guns, but aiming for glowing weak spots is hardly innovative or new.

So, yes, I was underwhelmed.

CouncilorChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CouncilorChief

I wasn't blown away by it but I did really enjoy what I saw. They're adding subtle changes such as new direction for its atmosphere and presentation. The new enemies look like they were play out radically different from the previous Halo games. I actually like the fact they didn't show off bit set-pieces because 343 Industries might keep them as a surprise. I probably liked what I saw because I had low expectations towards what 343 had in store for us at E3.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JustPlainLucas

It just looks like more Halo to me. Same good fun, but nothing excitingly new.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By _Zombie_

It was a gameplay demo that showed how it would play, you don't need fancy-ass epic scenes. I myself thought it looked pretty decent. Enough so that I'm interested in it again.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I think it met expectations. It didn't really make me anymore or any less exciting. It was a pretty quick gameplay demo so no one can really place too much judgment on it yet.