Was kicked out of a Gamestop today. Here's why.

• 187 results
Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By Darkstar614

Man this makes me miss privately run game trading shops. Back before Gamestop bought everything, I used to go to one where the dude who ran it was cool as hell. I remember meeting some random stranger in there who was selling a game I wanted to get, and I offered to buy it directly from him. The owner said that we had to do it outside because it was bad for business, but that he really didn't care. We did the deal outside and came back in to chat.

If that ever occurred in a Gamestop (or even right outside the door) you'd probably be banned from that store permanently. They have some really ridiculous policies, or made up ones in this case....

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By vidiot

This is absolutely disgusting. Whoever this prick is should be fired. I hope to god you contact the proper people and complain.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Vinchenzo
@xyzygy: What is he talking about? There is no GameStop policy like that. Secretly, I always inform customers of great deals at other places. As secret as I can be. Anyway, I say leave a pissed-off piece of feedback in regards to their store, on the GameStop website.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#54  Edited By Yummylee

Should go back in wearing a novelty fake mustache adn try and buy your game again, just for funs =P
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By damnboyadvance

You need to contact Gamestop about this and tell them why you're never doing business with them again.That's some serious bullshit, dude. I'm sorry for you.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56  Edited By zeforgotten

That wasn't a "rule" back when I worked at Gamestop (which was also known as EB Games once. Not that I'm wondering since they're the same damn thing.. Can't remember who owns what though) 
Sure, there's a problem with Price Shoppers, but that's not only in the gamestores, that's everywhere. 

But yeah, throwing you guys out like that is not something you should be ok with. 
You've got your right to complain to the manager if you wan't, so do it! 
Maybe there's a free game or two in it for you :P

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By xyzygy
@ZeForgotten said:
" Maybe there's a free game or two in it for you :P "
WOW I never thought of that!! haha
CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58  Edited By CSXLoser

getting kicked out for finding a cheaper price?

say what?

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@Darkstar614: I manage a privately owned trade shop just like you were speaking of. Yeah we are pretty chill here and even willing to cut a little of the price off for our regulars that we get. No corporate bullshit here. Funny thing is we even get the gamestop employees to hang out here as well.
RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By RiddleBrother

@xyzygy said:

" So there's this new Gamestop at my nearest mall (it used to be EB) and me and a friend went in today. I was gonna just look around, maybe get something used if it's for cheap. I was just looking around, talking to my friend about games, he was asking me some questions about if I've ever played such and such, or this and that. Anyway, we got to near where the counter is and it's also near where the 360 game wall starts (The 360 game wall is massive in this Gamestop). It stretches across the whole wall. So we were standing by the counter end. He noticed at the bottom there was Afro Samuria, used, for 29.99. He says "I was wondering about that game. I really like the anime and was thinking about getting it, maybe later though". He wasn't going to buy the game today, or the next day... he might not even get it at all, it was just idle conversation. Anyway, after looking at the price I tell him that I seen the same game, with the cardboard casing, for 14.99 at Blockbuster used. As soon as I said this, the cashier came over and asked me what I was doing in the store. I had Silent Hill: Homecoming in my hand, which I was thinking of buying. I asked him why, and he just told me to leave because Gamestop doesn't allow price shoppers. I told him that I'm going to buy Silent Hill, (I still wasn't sure if I was gonna buy it or not, but it was in my hand) and he told me "No, I can't. It's against company policy." So I left. Can someone who works at a Gamestop attest to this? I'm never going to Gamestop again. "
Send a complaint to Gamestop HQ just saying that you had a shit time and that they lost your business, and you might get a gift card out of it or something.
legbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By legbone

Did you knock over the magazine rack and bellow with all of your might "My honor shall be avenged!!!!!" Sorry, had a long day at work (not gamestop thank god).

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By brukaoru

I have to believe that it was the guy just being a jerk. I'm pretty sure if the manager or top manager heard about it, he would be fired or severely reprimanded for telling you to leave.

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude you should have known their policies.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Brunchies

They can't do that can they, you should inform the manager about that incident and see what happens from their. Or you can just stop shopping at Gamestop.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By CABBAGES

You shouldnt have left you should have asked to talk to the manager. 
I would go there when i see him working and ask him to talk to the manager. 
Tell the manager that you were made to feel very uncomfortable and  embarrassed  . 
How old are you ? you said about him being bigger so i was thinking maybe you are quite young ? I would maybe take my mum or dad with me to make it even worse for the idiot who kicked you out, But only if you are under liek 16. 
You should really try and go there as much as possible and tell your friend abotu alot more games he can get cheaper elsewhere. And whatever happens do not leave the shop as there is no way he can make you leave for talking to your friend about the prices of games.
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@wolf_blitzer85: I would LOVE to someday own an independent/privately owned game store. The places are hard to come by, especially out here in North Carolina! Gamestop is everywhere out here, and theres just ONE PlayNTrade that I know of.
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By sixghost
@kenjisalk said:
" While the employee was definitely out of line to ask you to leave (if your story is to be trusted), it's pretty dickish to be standing by the cash wrap talking shit about the prices so openly.  There's a tactful way to go about conveying to your buddy that he should go to Blockbuster, and I highly doubt you handled it the right way.  I've worked in retail for many years (with a 7 year stint as a GS manager) and I can tell you first-hand, the most annoying thing you can do is bitch about the prices as if the local employees have any control of that kind of thing.  He probably shouldn't have told you to leave, but I can't blame him for being a bit bristly. "
Did you even read what he wrote? He was talking to a friend, and just told him if he wanted the game he knew of a place that had it much cheaper. How was he in any way bitching about the prices? Is he not allowed to give his friend some advice to save money? God forbid if they are within earshot of a gamestop employee. As you said, they have no control over the prices, so why the fuck would it matter to them if someone was talking about their price of a game compared to another store.
phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#68  Edited By phlegms

What you need to do is; Walk straight back in there, Drop you pants, and shit on the counter. This has always worked for me whenever I wanted an issue resolved.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By sixghost
@phlegms said:
" What you need to do is; Walk straight back in there, Drop you pants, and shit on the counter. This has always worked for me whenever I wanted an issue resolved. "
"Sir, this is against company policy"
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By EvilTwin

The silly thing is that (I assume) your friend just walked out with you and this guy lost both customers as opposed to just losing the sale on a single game. 

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#71  Edited By Cerza
@phlegms said:
" What you need to do is; Walk straight back in there, Drop you pants, and shit on the counter. This has always worked for me whenever I wanted an issue resolved. "
I LoL'd.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72  Edited By Linkyshinks

Go in and make a formal complaint to the store manager, go in with your friend preferably. You should state clearly to him, that you simply pointed out to your friend that you had seen a copy earlier that week which was cheaper, and that you naturally told your friend. You should also point out how badly this prick dealt with you. Tell him if he fails to rectify the matter, which is you being able to go back into the store again, that you will have no choice to contact his seniors. There doesn't have to be any real intent behind that, but it will have ithe desired effect. If it's a new store, good word of mouth is everything, he as a manager should be aware of that.  

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#73  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Ugh, what an idiot. You should have spoken to someone about him.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Jimbo

Price shopper?

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Famov

The cashier did not understand the principles of good business, and hopefully his boss will find out and fire him for his stupidity.
yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#76  Edited By yetiantics

price shopping, what the fuck? 
in all my years in retail, ive never heard of anything like that. 3 of those years in Gamestop, mind you.
Avatar image for commodoregroovy
CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

I still go to gamestop frequently. I must be fortunate to be close to a gamestop where the employee's care and joke around with the customers. They do ask if I would like to pre-order products of theirs, however I realize they are required to ask, it's a business strategy that the employee's have to do, regardless if they want to or not. 

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AjayRaz said:
" what the hell? i've never been to gamestop (we only have EB Games in Montreal, so i guess they're about the same) but that's really stupid :\  "
I saw a gamestop here two weeks ago, and it was pretty big 

On topic that guy is a douchebag, get your friend and speak with the manager about this.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By CornontheCobbe

It's a shame that some employees are general dicks. You have the freedom to say whatever you want wherever you want.

I probably would have gotten mad and spit in his eye, or burnt down the store, but it's good that you didn't lose your cool.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Wow. That clerk must of been a complete noob because I often talk about the prices with the store clerks themselves around here and I never got kicked yet Lol.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Not going back isn't going to make any difference, I'd definitely go back and complain.
You'll maybe even get a discount or something on the game.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By xyzygy
@WinterSnowblind said:
" Not going back isn't going to make any difference, I'd definitely go back and complain. You'll maybe even get a discount or something on the game. "
I've been thinking of going back but to tell you the truth I'm an insanely shy guy. It makes me nervous thinking of going back there now.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#83  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You should have asked to see the manager. And then if the manager threw you out you could make a formal complaint to head office.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@xyzygy said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:
" Not going back isn't going to make any difference, I'd definitely go back and complain. You'll maybe even get a discount or something on the game. "
I've been thinking of going back but to tell you the truth I'm an insanely shy guy. It makes me nervous thinking of going back there now. "
Get your friend to do it for you if your a shy guy! He was there too, so technically he got kicked also. If the two of you go together, it'll even be better. He's a witness of that employee's dick-ingness. Yeah i realised i just made up a word.
destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By destruktive

I've been working at a game store and sure it was annoying having people saying how much they could save going somewhere else. but unless there is something I could do about it, I just tell them to get it there.

There is no way I would kick someone out because of it. If someone has an offer on a game and we can't match that, they are welcome to shop wherever.

mindatlarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#86  Edited By mindatlarge

This from the same store that sells display copies as "new" with the plastic off and sometimes includes a nice collection of scratches, free of charge!
Stopped buying from them after I overheard two employees talking about some new releases they had borrowed from the store and were currently at home and that they had to get them back to the store asap since they were low on product which can be sold to customers as "new" when returned.  So, think twice or at least look at the back of the disc if its advertised as "new" but has the wrapping off.  

Such a joke of a company, though.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87  Edited By hockeymask27

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By InfiniteGeass

From a business stand point this makes no sense. That employee just lost a customer and possible revenue, which may not sound much in the long wrong, but I'm pretty sure employees need to sell a certain amount each month.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#89  Edited By The_Philosopher
@xyzygy: 
Every time I go to my local "The Source" (what a dumb ass name), it's kinda similar. I see all kinds of games for outrageous prices and say "don't buy that, I just seen it in Walmart for $20 cheaper." Or "I bet that's $15 less if you order it from Futureshop." I never got kicked out though. Afro Samari used for $29.99. It's $20 new at Walmart. That's fucking crazy to be asking that much. The only place I have to trade in my used game is a fucking convenience store. Half the time they won't even take any games because there machine is broken or their over stocked. I always visit Gamestop or EB Games on vacation and I find it to be pretty awesome. I guess that's just me because I live in a town where we have no stores dedicated to just video games.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By xyzygy
@The_Philosopher said:
" @xyzygy:  Every time I go to my local "The Source" (what a dumb ass name), it's kinda similar. I see all kinds of games for outrageous prices and say "don't buy that, I just seen it in Walmart for $20 cheaper." Or "I bet that's $15 less if you order it from Futureshop." I never got kicked out though. Afro Samari used for $29.99. It's $20 new at Walmart. That's fucking crazy to be asking that much. The only place I have to trade in my used game is a fucking convenience store. Half the time they won't even take any games because there machine is broken or their over stocked. "
Oh, I know The Source. Used to be Radioshack right? What a bad store. Nexxtech products always break and are so cheaply made.
Nock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Nock

I'm friends with people at gamestop, I can say theirs no official practice of that but then again we are talking about the company that broke street date in a big way on MW2

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By teptom

Ugh, I get happier all the time that I don't buy games there.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#93  Edited By The_Philosopher
@xyzygy: 
Yup, the prices there are crazy. They still have multiple Hell Gate London collectors editions there lol. Every time I go there it's always there, I don't even think the servers exist for that game anymore.
regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By regularassmilk

That's ridiculously stupid.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

I'm not surprised. I've had similar experiences. Once a I overheard a Gamestop employee telling a customer incorrect information about a game. I got in an argument with this dude, who didn't really know a whole lot about gaming in general. I hopped on the internet with my phone to show him that the game he was describing could be bought somewhere else for less. The woman and her son were pissed. He then asked me to leave, and I asked for the manager. I'm pretty sure I got the dude fired since I never saw him there again.

I've also noticed that the 20 something year old douches who work at my Gamestop treat teenagers like garbage, which is complete shit.

Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By guerrilla_mason

When I worked at GameStop, we used to tell people where they could get games cheaper.

misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By misterpope

Burn it down.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#98  Edited By JJOR64

Wow.  They should go fuck themselves.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By MiamiRedHawks
@Guerrilla_Mason: Thats probably because you are a good person and an honest employee. I don't blame the company or the employees for trying to sell this woman a game that could be had at a lower price somewhere else. How were they supposed to know? The guy was  just were extremely rude, and had too big of an ego to admit he was wrong. Most of the Gamestops I go to are fine, but the one I'm describing has a bunch of douche bags working in it.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By xyzygy
@The_Philosopher: For some reason when you told me that it made me laugh, a LOT! hahahahahaha!