Was Max Payne Working Out Last 2 Years?

GamePunisher85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By GamePunisher85

Is it me or have they made his stomach less fat?

Old screens.

http://www.spelbutiken.se/catalog/product_thumb.php?img=screenshots/59943-3.jpg&h=345

http://www.spelbutiken.se/catalog/screenshots/59943-4.jpg

New screens

http://media.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/img/global/screenshots/maxpayne3-7-1280.jpg

http://media.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/img/global/screenshots/maxpayne3-6-1280.jpg

I think he looks less cool. "Fat Max" looked match better before... in my opinion.
How about you?

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BionicRadd

Considering how athletic Max was in the first 2 games, I had serious problems with Fat Max.  Im still not keen on thin Max in Latin America, but Ill give it a shot, because I loved the first 2 games.  Im just going to miss the film noir NYC setting.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

This is what happens when you take a character like Max and try to make him macho. I hope this game is an abject failure.

GamePunisher85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GamePunisher85
@BionicRadd said:

Considering how athletic Max was in the first 2 games, I had serious problems with Fat Max.  Im still not keen on thin Max in Latin America, but Ill give it a shot, because I loved the first 2 games.  Im just going to miss the film noir NYC setting.

Have  you seen fat Mike Tyson? He was mad athletic then got fat as hell... Still was a bad ass.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By meteora

Guess that's what happens when some higher up decides that they want to change the appearance of a character to look more generic.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CaptainTightPants

@GamePunisher85: I think it's because they were focusing on the whole Max is depressed and fighting addiction stuff before, so his character had to look like he let himself go. Maybe they aren't going to focus on that as much anymore, with him being a bodyguard and all. I am just guessing though.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wickedsc3

Its called getting older. Its way more realistic, I for one love the fatter max.

GamePunisher85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GamePunisher85
@wickedsc3:  SO do  I! Read my post.
ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

The fatter one looks like Zach Galifianakis in the Hangover 2.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By JCTango

Hmm.. they might have toned down his belly a bit, but it's sorta hard to judge from the new pictures linked.  The angle at which the pictures were taken can sorta skew things a tad.

Also, we don't know if there is any breathing animation in the game.. we could've caught him mid-breathe-in or mid-breathe-out xD.

In any case, I like how the new Max looks... he looks like a conflicted individual who maybe drinks too much at night, which works for me, since he's somewhat of a film noire type character.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BionicRadd

and we're supposed to buy fat max rolling across tables and diving over bars?

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By scarace360
@JCTango said:
Hmm.. they might have toned down his belly a bit, but it's sorta hard to judge from the new pictures linked.  The angle at which the pictures were taken can sorta skew things a tad.  Also, we don't know if there is any breathing animation in the game.. we could've caught him mid-breathe-in or mid-breathe-out xD.  In any case, I like how the new Max looks... he looks like a conflicted individual who maybe drinks too much at night, which works for me, since he's somewhat of a film noire type character.
breathing mechanic now thats an idea!
GamePunisher85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GamePunisher85
@BionicRadd: Yepp, I train judo with a guy who's fatter than Max is on those pictures but he does summersaults and stuff. Little fat doesn't make one less athletic. Don't be stupid.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zeforgotten

@BionicRadd said:

and we're supposed to buy fat max rolling across tables and diving over bars?

That was maybe Fat just makes him cool like Chow Yun Fat in Stranglehold. He could do everything Max could do, x20

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BionicRadd

not being stupid.  this is not real life.  it's a video game.  fact is i hated the way fat max looked.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss

I love fat Max. 
I loved the other games, but I think it'd much more interesting to see a story of what's happened to him as opposed to another story of him in the same time and place.

GamePunisher85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GamePunisher85
@BionicRadd: You contradicted yourself. You were the one saying that it would be unrealistic to see a fat guy rolling across tables and diving over bars. Like you said this is a video game not real life therefore he can look ridiculous and do unreal things.
ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By ma_rc_01

they should have made him look like this:

No Caption Provided
234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By 234r2we232

I never saw Max Payne getting old, and judging from those screenshots, I now understand why.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wickedsc3

@GamePunisher85 said:

@wickedsc3: SO do I! Read my post.

I did read your post. I hit the reply to for BionicRadd but I must have missed it.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BionicRadd

I guess I get that it's realistic, but I still don't like it.  Overall, I don't like anything I've seen about what they've done with this game as far as it being a follow up to Max Payne 2 goes, so fat Max or not, I am not sold.  It looks they slapped the Max Payne name on some other Third Person Shooter.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wickedsc3

@BionicRadd said:

not being stupid. this is not real life. it's a video game. fact is i hated the way fat max looked.

Yes I know its a video game. But adding a little bit of realism helps them sell the look they are clearly going for.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By JCTango
@BionicRadd: I think the look they gave Max was a way of furthering the story of his downward spiral.  To me, the franchise is one of a film noire nature, so to see a character like Max look like he's hit rock bottom - perhaps to redeem himself in this new story - makes sense to me.  

I sorta get where you're coming from though.. I don't know if we'll see him doing crazy acrobatics in this one either... then again I'm not sure I would want to... too many games emulated what the original Max Payne game did with slow-mo acrobatic game play after it came out. 
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Brendan

I don't think it will affect the quality of the product either way, but because it's a small and relatively meaningless thing I'm sure it will stick in forum users craw's for years to come.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Maajin

Both Max Payne 1 and 2 were my favorite games for a long time, and I have nothing but respect for the way they're going with 3. Absolutely love it.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Embed the images because I'm too lazy to copy and paste the links.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BionicRadd

It isnt just the look that I don't like.  It's the look, the setting, the story, it's all of it.  I am cool with downward spirals.  Turn him into Joe from Last Boy Scout if ya want.  I'd dig that.  However, moving him out of NYC and, from what I've seen of screen shots, stripping out the film noir aesthetic of the other games just makes me nervous.  I'll give it a chance, I am sure, but from a storytelling standpoint, Rockstar hasnt impressed me in a really long time.  I haven't played LA Noire, but GTA IV and Red Dead took themselves way too seriously for my tastes.  Who knows, maybe it will all come together swimmingly in the final product.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HandsomeDead

Are you trying to say Max Payne wasn't serious?

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BionicRadd

It was serious, but it was also super over the top and whacky with all the satanic cult crap.  Being serious and taking yourself too seriously are two vastly different things.  Max Payne was serious in the same way that Sin City is serious.  Everything is dead pan serious, but the story is all over the place.  I am worried that they are going to go for a "realistic" story with this one, where the first two were not the least bit realistic.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DrPockets000

The newer screens you posted don't really do a great job of showing how much gut he has. It's a poor frame of reference. Max might still be heavyset in the final game.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ShaneDev

I see some difference, his arms are much more built in the newer shots for sure. I really hope they don't ruin the feel of the franchise. I mean Max Payne 1 is pretty good but Max Payne 2 is a masterpiece. Rockstar are pretty good at what they do,  I am just not sure they are good at what Remedy does. The plot sounds exactly like Man on Fire so my guess is it ends the same way too.  I mean they could go in some totally different direction but I kinda doubt it. I just hope this is good.

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By CounterShock

I think those screen look basically the same, the new ones both things that prevent you from getting a good look (angle, gun). I like this new take on Max, it's just the gameplay that is rustling my jimmies. I don't want Max Payne taking cover or only carrying two guns. Bullet time should compensate for a cover system and I just don't like when games try to be "realistic" by only having two guns. It's a video game, who cares if it isn't realistic for a guy to carry 15 guns, it's fun.