Washington Post creates gaming and e-sports section called "Launcher", under their sports department

boatorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Saw this and thought it was interesting:

We are excited to announce the creation of Launcher, a new section from the Sports department of The Post devoted to covering video gaming and esports.

Debuting Oct. 15, Launcher will feature coverage and analysis of the people, companies, teams and trends that make up this rapidly growing industry. Combining deep familiarity with the video gaming world and The Post’s journalistic excellence, Launcher will offer accountability reporting, cultural exploration, artistic criticism and instructive guides.

There's more in the link.

What do you guys think? I'd be interested in seeing more actual reporting in games, though I laughed a little bit at "instructive guides". I wonder if my next search for "Shadowkeep powerful gear" will come back with links to the Washington Post, along with the Forbes and Newsweek entries I already see.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nice, kinda late though, I assumed they would have already had something like that. Shows how out of touch some of these news publications are. In Sweden, there are several major newspapers that have had e-sports sections and columns for a while now and I've always been happy to see that.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Democracy gets 360 no-scoped in darkness.

While the timing seems laughably late to those of us who are so invested in games that we actually post on a video game forum, remember that a Fortnite tournament just made a teenager a millionaire and Activision is spinning up its CoD league for next year. Those two things may have been enough for some executive to say, "Games, huh? Sure, let's report on that."