WayPoint: Riot Games (LoL) Faces Employee Walkout, Promises Changes

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Employees at Riot Games are considering a walkout, and the organization efforts have prompted an internal response from company executives, Waypoint has learned.

On Friday, Kotaku reportedLeague of Legends developer Riot Games took steps to prevent employees from taking legal action against the company, after multiple lawsuits were filed in the wake of Kotaku’s investigation into the studio’s culture of sexism last summer.

The reaction to the aggressive move prompted talk of an employee walkout, according to two employees at Riot Games and an internal Slack message sent by Riot’s chief diversity officer to employees. Waypoint granted the employees anonymity to speak about issues that could impact their employment.

“Talk of a walkout has been brewing among a number of folks with varying levels of investment since Kotaku’s first article hit,” said one source, “and leadership consistently promised transparency/actions to be taken and then did not deliver on that promise.”

There's a lot more in the WayPoint article from Patrick Klepek. Riot Games seems like it's not that great of a place to work with, between this and the sexism reported last summer by Kotaku, I'm don't see how they can ensure their employees have confidence in the management team there.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm glad a lot of people are calling out their "we want you all in small groups" tactic for it is: Union busting 101.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Good for them. I hope this brings about the real change that they seek. ✊

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I work in HR, and as bad as this sounds I would do exactly the same thing. Break everyone into small groups. Watch who signs up, and what people say. Don't be surprised if those people all suddenly end up laid off.

This is the company that brought back the "ball tapping" COO, and glorified him as a "great leader" after accepting a 2 month suspension/vacation for incredibly unprofessional conduct.

This is a company trying to save its own ass, and maybe do some union busting. Both of which are so patently obvious it is frightening.