Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Edited By Hailinel

Warning:  Venting to follow.

Someone linked me to a review for Kingdom Hearts:  358/2 Days at gaygamer.net.  It's not a website that I normally visit, but I've been playing and enjoying the game, and it's interesting seeing how the reviews have compared to each other.  However, this review in particular is one of the worst I've ever read, and what's worse is the reviewer was completely open about slacking on the job.  He didn't even come close to finishing the game.

I'll admit that I've stopped playing plenty of games in the middle because they were either not fun or too frustrating to finish.  I'll also note that I respect the reviewer's opinion in his dislike of the game.  Still, when write a review, you should make sure that you've finished it first.  Don't give up five worlds in and slap a 4 out of 10 at the bottom just because you couldn't be bothered to finish it.  If you review a game for an editorial website of any nature, I expect you to complete as much of the game as one could reasonably ask, whether that be beating the campaign and experiencing the entire narrative, playing through all of the modes in a fighting game as well as giving the online a fair go (if said online is actually operational), or playing through a season in a sports game.  Don't just quit in the middle and call it good (or bad).

Do not trust the reviews posted on gaygamer.net.  There are better sources out there.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hailinel

Warning:  Venting to follow.

Someone linked me to a review for Kingdom Hearts:  358/2 Days at gaygamer.net.  It's not a website that I normally visit, but I've been playing and enjoying the game, and it's interesting seeing how the reviews have compared to each other.  However, this review in particular is one of the worst I've ever read, and what's worse is the reviewer was completely open about slacking on the job.  He didn't even come close to finishing the game.

I'll admit that I've stopped playing plenty of games in the middle because they were either not fun or too frustrating to finish.  I'll also note that I respect the reviewer's opinion in his dislike of the game.  Still, when write a review, you should make sure that you've finished it first.  Don't give up five worlds in and slap a 4 out of 10 at the bottom just because you couldn't be bothered to finish it.  If you review a game for an editorial website of any nature, I expect you to complete as much of the game as one could reasonably ask, whether that be beating the campaign and experiencing the entire narrative, playing through all of the modes in a fighting game as well as giving the online a fair go (if said online is actually operational), or playing through a season in a sports game.  Don't just quit in the middle and call it good (or bad).

Do not trust the reviews posted on gaygamer.net.  There are better sources out there.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Godwind

I thought this was going to be homosexual related.

Enjoy some classic sega stuff dude.

http://www.giantbomb.com/sega/65-62/what-are-some-kick-ass-classic-sega-bgm/35-266357/

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Snipzor

So because it has a review you disagree with, it is a website you do not recommend it? I mean besides the fact that the website isn't there for reviews, isn't it a bit selfish of you?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

I agree with you on that rule, which is why all the games I blog about have been beaten. By me.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By asurastrike
@Hailinel said:

" Warning:  Venting to follow.

Someone linked me to a review for Kingdom Hearts:  358/2 Days at gaygamer.net.  It's not a website that I normally visit, but I've been playing and enjoying the game, and it's interesting seeing how the reviews have compared to each other.  However, this review in particular is one of the worst I've ever read, and what's worse is the reviewer was completely open about slacking on the job.  He didn't even come close to finishing the game. I'll admit that I've stopped playing plenty of games in the middle because they were either not fun or too frustrating to finish.  I'll also note that I respect the reviewer's opinion in his dislike of the game.  Still, when write a review, you should make sure that you've finished it first.  Don't give up five worlds in and slap a 4 out of 10 at the bottom just because you couldn't be bothered to finish it.  If you review a game for an editorial website of any nature, I expect you to complete as much of the game as one could reasonably ask, whether that be beating the campaign and experiencing the entire narrative, playing through all of the modes in a fighting game as well as giving the online a fair go (if said online is actually operational), or playing through a season in a sports game.  Don't just quit in the middle and call it good (or bad).  Do not trust the reviews posted on gaygamer.net.  There are better sources out there. "

I found it weird that after "11 hours" the reviewer had only seen 3 worlds.I'm 12 hours in and I've seen Olympus Colosseum, Halloween Town, Agrabah, Wonderland, and Beasts Castle.

Also, there is a part where the reviewer says 

Axel meets Roxas on day one and they're already best acquaintances, and they remain exactly like that for the rest of the game, without a smidgen of growth

but he admits he hasn't finished the game...
Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Toxin066
@Snipzor said:
" So because it has a review you disagree with, it is a website you do not recommend it? I mean besides the fact that the website isn't there for reviews, isn't it a bit selfish of you? "
I think his point is he wished the reviewer would have finished the game before going at it.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hailinel
@Toxin066 said:
" @Snipzor said:
" So because it has a review you disagree with, it is a website you do not recommend it? I mean besides the fact that the website isn't there for reviews, isn't it a bit selfish of you? "
I think his point is he wished the reviewer would have finished the game before going at it. "
Precisely.  Whether the review was good or bad, I can't take it seriously if the reviewer doesn't put in the effort to finish the game before writing it up.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By iamjohn

To paraphrase Old Man Murray: if you read the first fifty or hundred pages of a book and it sucks, you're not going to keep reading it.  Likewise, even if a game suddenly becomes good after the first eight hours, why should that matter if those eight hours are god-the-fuck-awful? 

The guy did what he should have done: he fully admitted to not finishing the game, yet was able to adequately defend his position and reasoning for doing so in a way that showed that he was fully educated on the mechanics of the game and had seen enough to know that he seeing any more wouldn't change his opinion.  You may not agree with his opinion or even what he did, but that seems pretty fair to me.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By bonbolapti

There's enough reviews out there already.

Someone reviewed a game based on his experience with it. 
Oh SHIT.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By asurastrike
@bonbolapti said:
" There's enough reviews out there already. Someone reviewed a game based on his experience with it. Oh SHIT. "
Imagine if everyone reviewed a game after playing less than half of it.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Snipzor
@Hailinel said:
" @Toxin066 said:
" @Snipzor said:
I think his point is he wished the reviewer would have finished the game before going at it. "
Precisely.  Whether the review was good or bad, I can't take it seriously if the reviewer doesn't put in the effort to finish the game before writing it up. "
You don't have to finish a game to review it, especially an RPG or even a bad RPG... 

Wait, are you the one who complained in the comments section of the website?
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bonbolapti
@Asurastrike:
if they didn't finish the game then it wasn't very good.
Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Novyx
@iAmJohn:
That's well and good when for forming one's own opinion or chatting with friends, but not for a  job. To take your example further,  if you're a mechanic and you need to replace a transmission for a customer, and two hours in you decide it's too much of a pain, that's too bad. It's your job, so you do it. Reviewers need to have a better informed opinion than a  customer, because they're informing the customer.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Snipzor
@Asurastrike said:
"Imagine if everyone reviewed a game after playing less than half of it. "
11 hours is long enough if the game sucks.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel
@iAmJohn said:
" To paraphrase Old Man Murray: if you read the first fifty or hundred pages of a book and it sucks, you're not going to keep reading it.  Likewise, even if a game suddenly becomes good after the first eight hours, why should that matter if those eight hours are god-the-fuck-awful?  The guy did what he should have done: he fully admitted to not finishing the game, yet was able to adequately defend his position and reasoning for doing so in a way that showed that he was fully educated on the mechanics of the game and had seen enough to know that he seeing any more wouldn't change his opinion.  You may not agree with his opinion or even what he did, but that seems pretty fair to me. "
I'd disagree with Old Man Murray.  I didn't really find the first book and two thirds of The Dark Tower series as compelling as I had heard it was from others, and I may very well not have read the rest had the last third or so of the second book not sideswiped me with how crazy it was.  After that, I read and enjoyed the rest of the series.  Before that point?  Not particularly good pacing or plotting.  It didn't stop me from making my way through, though.

I maintain my contention that if you're going to publish a review of a game, you should complete it so that you really do know what you're talking about.  Otherwise you just look silly when you make generalizations about the plot that you can't possibly know are true and thus have no way to back up, nor can you say anything about mechanics that might not become available until beyond a certain point that would have otherwise opened things up and made he remainder of the game a more enjoyable experience.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Hailinel: If you have to put up with crap for 95% of a game in order to get to that last 5% that isn't crap, it's not a good game. I think there are some cases, possibly this game included, that are OK to not play through all of the way. Am I wrong? Would you play a game you hated all of the way to the end just to see the final surprise scene or to fight the last boss that happens to be awesome? I haven't played the game but it seems like the reviewer had seen all they needed to in about 11 hours, I think it's fair to give a game a score after that amount of time. It's when a game is mediocre that I would want someone to experience the entire thing. But if the game is plain bad, what's the point?
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17  Edited By Symphony

I generally agree with that rule, however, there are times I feel not beating the game makes a louder statement than saying  "I beat it even though I didn't like it". The go-to example I always use is the Last Remnant. Oh gods did I try to beat that game, I really did, and made it through about 90% of the campaign. However, I died after a particularly long and grueling set of three battles with no stop in between and knew I would have to repeat this "three really long battles with no breaks" monotony at least 4 more times as that's how the campaign is set up and called it quits. I was confident I knew enough about the game to form an educated opinion and say "This game sucks. Period." There was no feature or aspect that could have possibly appeared beyond that point that would have changed my view and I felt like I was able to give a well-informed opinion even if I hadn't got all the way to the end.

Frankly, the game didn't deserve to be finished; it wasn't worth my time and I don't feel it's worth anyone's time. If a game feels that broken, I would not hold it against the reviewer if they had not beaten it but had played enough to form an educated opinion (Alex Navarro's review of "Big Rigs" immediately springs to mind). That said, Last Remnant remains the only game I've reviewed that I have not finished(and never plan on finishing).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hailinel
@Snipzor said:
" @Asurastrike said:
11 hours is long enough if the game sucks. "
Not if it's your job.
Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By ApertureSilence

I do not see a problem with this sort of review as long as the reviewer plainly and honestly states how much of the game he or she played. 

That way those of us who have a problem with that sort of experiential review can simply disregard it, and those of us who can relate to someone not wanting to finish a shitty game don't have to.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By vidiot

If your not going to finish a game for a review, don't review it. Your a hired gamer reviewer: It's your job. It's the difference between a forum lurker posting his first impressions, versus someone who is paid to give an opinion on a complete product. You are giving a service to the rest of us, and if your unable to experience the majority of the product before you provide us that service you are not doing your job. From other reviews I've read: it's not like the game is broken. So it's up to personal taste to not finish it which is even worse. How can you possible judge a game completely without finishing it? There's a beginning and and an end, suck it up and play through it. I've played tons of games with either slow starts, or changed radically while playing. 
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By asurastrike
@Snipzor said:

" @Asurastrike said:

11 hours is long enough if the game sucks. "
Do you think Jeff and Vinny could have done an accurate review of Persona 4, a game that took them 100 hours to beat, in 11 hours? It's got a 2 hour into where you don't even get to control your character.
carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By carlthenimrod

I would say you've completed less then 1% of that web site. So, how can you judge it? 

Oh that's right. You can't.

ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ApertureSilence
@carlthenimrod said:
" I would say you've completed less then 1% of that web site. So, how can you judge it?   Oh that's right. You can't. "
You win at the Internet, sir.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel
@carlthenimrod: Whether the rest of their non-review features are quality I can't say, but why should I trust their reviews when I can't be assured that they're completing the games they review?
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Red

I don't go to gaygamer.net because I'm not gay, and therefore don't need any of the gay-focused content the site offers. However, you review a game after you finish it. If you don't finish it, you don't write a review. Maybe you write an editorial about why you didn't finish it, or maybe you just drop it altogether, but reviewing a game before you finish it is pretty damn ridiculous.

ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ApertureSilence
@Hailinel: It's trustworthy because the reviewer explicitly stated how much of the game he played. Thus, you know his review is based on the first 11 hours of the game. It's really not rocket science. 

Gaygamer is pretty honest about this stuff. It's the websites that don't tell about these things that you need to be wary of.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hailinel
@MurderByDeath said:
" @Hailinel: It's trustworthy because the reviewer explicitly stated how much of the game he played. Thus, you know his review is based on the first 11 hours of the game. It's really not rocket science. 

Gaygamer is pretty honest about this stuff. It's the websites that don't tell about these things that you need to be wary of. "
And I maintain once again that reviewers shouldn't write reviews for games that they can't be bothered to finish.  It's not like the reviewer in this case ran into a play-stopping bug or anything similar.  This was purely a case of the writer being lazy and saying, "screw it."  While other websites don't state whether or not they finished a game, that shouldn't be a requirement because finishing the game prior to a review should be expected.
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ApertureSilence
@Hailinel: There are different schools of thought on this, and I think you'll be surprised to learn how few outlets share your view. 

From the GameSpot FAQ: 

"Do you always finish games before reviewing them?" 

The straight answer is no, not necessarily. The main reason is that not all games are capable of being finished, which would make a policy of finishing all games before reviewing them impossible to enforce. For example, sports games and massively multiplayer online role-playing games have no definite conclusion. Likewise, many multiplayer-focused games cannot be finished but must be played extensively before they can be honestly evaluated. Our rule is that we play games extensively before committing to our full reviews. On average, this translates into at least 10 hours' worth of play, though some games demand much more than that, and some require less.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By carlthenimrod

@Hailinel said:

" @carlthenimrod: Whether the rest of their non-review features are quality I can't say, but why should I trust their reviews when I can't be assured that they're completing the games they review? "

How can you trust any web site then? I recommend listening to the Bombcast episode where Brad talks about Velvet Assassin. They touch on this subject if I recall. You might be disappointed to find out that other web sites do this but just don't admit to it. You probably can trust this site more then others because that information is actually available to you. It has nothing to do with laziness either. They have deadlines to meet and let's be realistic. After 10 hours you pretty much got enough information to recommend it (or not)  to others. The last five hours of the game could be a glorious masterpiece, but the average person would never see this awesomeness if the first 10 hours of game was poo. Most people don't finish all 5 hours of Call Of Duty 4.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By masternater27
@Novyx:   I agree with everybody who says this is fine.  Comparing it to a mechanic is absolutely dumb, this is about entertainment not a business transaction.  That's a breach in contract, not an opinionated article.  Would you expect somebody to unlock every last minigame in Redneck Jamboree or whatever for the Wii?  No, because you don't care about that game.  You've invested yourself in this and are bummed to see a bad review.   

If he forced himself to play through it, his 4/10 first 11 hours would surely balance out a hypothetical 10/10 last half, and would probably still get a bad review, or an average review at best.  If we wanna throw around irresponsible metaphors it'd be like saying, "WHAT, YOU DON'T WANT TO GO TO JAIL?  But dude, it's totally worth going to jail for five years, 'cause then you really appreciate your freedom afterwards.  What an idiot".
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with Red insofar that it should've been an editorial rather then a review about how he couldn't finish the game because of it's perceived shittiness.

Also, the mechanic comparison doesn't work at all.
If I were going to compare it to something I'd say it was like a shitty movie with a tremendous twist ending that the reviewer didn't see because he walked out.

As I said, I disagree that it should've been fully reviewed, but I could still see an editorial sans a score explaining why the reviewer couldn't finish the game. As for boycotting an entire website after reading one review, I find that rather short sighted, but to each their own.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vidiot
@MurderByDeath said:
" @Hailinel: There are different school of thought on this, and I think you'll be surprised to learn how few outlets share your view. 

From the GameSpot FAQ: 

"Do you always finish games before reviewing them?" 

The straight answer is no, not necessarily. The main reason is that not all games are capable of being finished, which would make a policy of finishing all games before reviewing them impossible to enforce. For example, sports games and massively multiplayer online role-playing games have no definite conclusion. Likewise, many multiplayer-focused games cannot be finished but must be played extensively before they can be honestly evaluated. Our rule is that we play games extensively before committing to our full reviews. On average, this translates into at least 10 hours' worth of play, though some games demand much more than that, and some require less.

"
That doesn't translate into: We don't finish all singleplayer games. 
The second sentence immediately talks about endless modes of play: "multiplayer, sports games", which is completely reasonable. That seems to be the point of that entire paragraph.

They vaguely comment at the end a rough time frame for standard single player game length, and then comment that certain games take more time to complete. Nowhere does it say that because it takes more than ten hours: that mean they don't finish playing the game.

Games are usually given to reviewers weeks in advance, there are reviewers who specifically review different genres, and cheats are sometimes given to reviewers for certain games. (Although I've heard the cheats have been a rare occurrence)

More importantly: Reviews are delayed all the time. 
Sometimes, I've actually beaten certain games before seeing a review on certain sites. I would imagine any lead editor of any gaming publication, would encourage the reviewer beat the game. I would be blown away if the ratio of games beat versus games finished were anywhere close at all when it comes to game reviews. Sometimes that won't always happen, we all make mistakes.
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ApertureSilence
@vidiot: While it's very carefully worded to not explicitly read "We don't finish all singleplayer games", what it IS saying is that a reviewer will spend an average of 10 hours on a given game, and will not necessarily finish every one. It is GameSpot covering their ass, the same way any professional outlet does.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vidiot
@MurderByDeath: I think it's pretty freaking specific. Ten hours is average game length regardless, it's only at the tail end of that paragraph where it get's a bit murky. You want to read more into it, fine by me: To each his own regarding what that statement says, and (in this case)not says.

I'm aware not all games are finished before a review, and this paragraph giving reasons to why a game wouldn't be finished before review is fair. Issues regarding long-term gameplay mechanics, not: "I played such and such hours, and I got sick of it even though the game wasn't technically broken."

Of course it's a case by case scenario. Some games should be shunned for being unimaginable technical messes, but a game that has been reviewed fairly moderately getting shunned because he got bored with it. No. I accept that from an anonymous gamefaqs review, or a preview, or anything else from a professional review.

Edit: I like the suggestion that this should have been an editorial.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#35  Edited By the8bitNacho

I really don't see why gay gamers need their own website.

Seriously.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kombat said:
" I really don't see why gay gamers need their own website.   Seriously. "
The same reason why Playboy's articles are supposed to appeal to the urbane well to do male, BET is supposed to appeal to a black audience or O magazine is supposed to appeal to women who watch Oprah. It's a special interest site which highlights issues which might not be focused on by other sites.

I'm kind of divided on the subject. You don't see any straight 18-35 white male.com sites, but societaly speaking, that is considered the norm which most things are targeted against. A gay friend of mine scoffs at stuff like this because he doesn't want to be categorized for who he fucks, but there is still the fact that a site like GiantBomb won't focus on gay related issues in the same manner a predominately gay editorial staff would.
I still find it offensive that they actively want a such a homogenized (No pun intended) staff that the name implies.
How would whitesupremacistgamer.com look?

Eh, I'm just going around in circles here, I've gone too long without sleep and still have a hangover in my system.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bonbolapti

there's an irony in people wanting a game to be played from beinging to end, yet they don't want to know anything about it in fear that it'll ruin their experience.

StillVictor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By StillVictor

As long as the reviewer openly says that he hasn't finished the game, I don't see anything wrong with it. What he played was enough for him to know he was not interested. That's a valid experience. You may not agree with it but that doesn't make it any less valid.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MeierTheRed

Not all reviewers finish the game they actually are reviewing. I don't recall who it was if it was Listen UP or Out Of The Game who where talking about time issues on reviewing games... Actually i think it was Bitmob who talked about it. Anyhow they gave some good reasons why sometime there just isn't time enough. 

Edit: It was Bitmob's Mobcast episode 23

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mercator

I dont think you have to finish a game to review it, or even come close for that matter. Nearly all games require the use of a core gameplay mechanic throughout. If that mechanic insnt fun from the start there is probably no reason to continue. Also, if a games final 5 hours are amazing, but its first 10 only so so. Thats not a good game.

I, even if I were a reviewer, owe nothing to these developers, if a game isnt grabbing me I think its shit and would therefore give it a bad score. End of story.

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Novyx
@masternater27:
The fact that the result of this non-play was a 4/10 on a game averaging just under 80 on metacritic should tell you something about how accurate this review was, as a result of this policy. And I see no way that your metaphor in any way connects to mine. Going to jail is not a job. I said you do your job if you can, because it's the responsible thing to do. The point is that his person did an irresponsible job reviewing a game that seemingly every other major outlet had no trouble with. It shows a critical flaw in their process.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By penguindust

First off, I wouldn't write off a whole website based off of one review.  Secondly, I don't believe that in order to review a game, the writer must have beaten the game.  I don't think it's necessary to have driven every track in a racing game, or completed every quest in an RPG.  Enough of the game should be played in order to get a substantial feel for the game, but 100% completion is unnecessary in my book.  

I've been to Gaygamer.com on occasion for news.  It's not a site I regularly visit but when I have been there, I found their news satisfactory.  

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By oldschool

As long as they make the point very clear as to how much of the game they played, I suppose you can factor that into whether the review is worth reading or not.  It certainly isn't worthy of contributing to a Metacritic score. It would be better described as a Preview rather than a Review in circumstances like this, and therefore, no score should be given.

klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By klownboots

I think the more interesting question here is the validity of this review, with taking this play time into context. He played it for 11 hours. I am reading things that state in 11 hours he should have been further in the game then he was. I then pose the question: what if he sucks at RPGs? or what if RPGs do not interest him? I have friends who would take 11 hours to just get past the "tutorial" in most RPGs, simply because they don't like playing them and go about the game in such a way it obstructs from a standard play time. Does this reflect badly on the game?  I would have to say no. The thing with games that have such deeply embedded genre codes is that they require a specific style of playing, if the review lacks, or does not enjoy that style he is going to find faults with the game and give up.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By oldschool
@klownboots said:
" I think the more interesting question here is the validity of this review, with taking this play time into context. He played it for 11 hours. I am reading things that state in 11 hours he should have been further in the game then he was. I then pose the question: what if he sucks at RPGs? or what if RPGs do not interest him? I have friends who would take 11 hours to just get past the "tutorial" in most RPGs, simply because they don't like playing them and go about the game in such a way it obstructs from a standard play time. Does this reflect badly on the game?  I would have to say no. The thing with games that have such deeply embedded genre codes is that they require a specific style of playing, if the review lacks, or does not enjoy that style he is going to find faults with the game and give up. "
True.  Which causes me to lean on the side of it being a bad review (the  industry is littered with them).
klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By klownboots
@oldschool said:
" @klownboots said:
" I think the more interesting question here is the validity of this review, with taking this play time into context. He played it for 11 hours. I am reading things that state in 11 hours he should have been further in the game then he was. I then pose the question: what if he sucks at RPGs? or what if RPGs do not interest him? I have friends who would take 11 hours to just get past the "tutorial" in most RPGs, simply because they don't like playing them and go about the game in such a way it obstructs from a standard play time. Does this reflect badly on the game?  I would have to say no. The thing with games that have such deeply embedded genre codes is that they require a specific style of playing, if the review lacks, or does not enjoy that style he is going to find faults with the game and give up. "
True.  Which causes me to lean on the side of it being a bad review (the  industry is littered with them). "
Right, although I would not blame the reviewer himself. This is just more evidence of sites doing half-hearted attempts at reviews. There is a reason all the big gaming sites have large amounts of reviewers, each bringing their specific skill set to the table. The internet is truly full of these amateurish sites slapping together a "review" just so they can get their site on n4g.com. Again I would like to stress it is not the reviewers fault, as he is only a product of his environment, in this case the gaming site in question (which lacks any sort of proper structure, in my opinion).
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By mracoon
@iAmJohn said:
" To paraphrase Old Man Murray: if you read the first fifty or hundred pages of a book and it sucks, you're not going to keep reading it.  Likewise, even if a game suddenly becomes good after the first eight hours, why should that matter if those eight hours are god-the-fuck-awful?  The guy did what he should have done: he fully admitted to not finishing the game, yet was able to adequately defend his position and reasoning for doing so in a way that showed that he was fully educated on the mechanics of the game and had seen enough to know that he seeing any more wouldn't change his opinion.  You may not agree with his opinion or even what he did, but that seems pretty fair to me. "
I've got to disagree with you there. I wouldn't expect a film critic to walk out of a film because he doesn't like and then write a review about it, so I expect game reviewers to do the same. Unlike normal people, game reviewers are being paid to play the game and so no matter how much frustration they endure it's part of their job to give people their opinion on the whole game experience and, for me, they can't do that unless they complete a game.
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The_Ish

Fuck playing the whole game. If the review thinks it sucks, why would you expect him to play it to the end? 

It seems like you disagreed with his review because you liked the game and you were trying to find a reason to dismiss his opinion. In that case, everyone should read the review, since that was the only criticism you bought forth.

klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By klownboots
@mracoon said:
" @iAmJohn said:
I've got to disagree with you there. I wouldn't expect a film critic to walk out of a film because he doesn't like and then write a review about it, so I expect game reviewers to do the same. Unlike normal people, game reviewers are being paid to play the game and so no matter how much frustration they endure it's part of their job to give people their opinion on the whole game experience and, for me, they can't do that unless they complete a game. "
There is a large difference between a reviewer of movies and a reviewer of games though. While I agree that one should not just give up on the game I feel this is more to do with the type of game the the game play style it demands. As I said in my other post I would imagine that this "reviewer" does not enjoy RPGs and the specific play mechanics intrinsic to that genre. This would cause him to not enjoy the game, thus not finishing it and giving it a bad score. Of course I have not played this specific game so I am being general here, however I am seeing varying degrees in reviews, which leads me to the conclusion about this specific review.
RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By RIDEBIRD

This is just really stupid reasoning at work. Would you really expect someone to play 100 hours or so of Oblivion before finishing it? No. That's impossible. You normally beat the main story, and play a few sidemissions, playing up to 15 hours. That should give you the experience needed to review it.     

The analogy of a movie review is also incredibly wrong. A movie is two, maybe three hours long. Not one hundred hours.