Well, it finally happened.

Sniipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sniipe

My 360 has been on the verge of death lately.  Its sounds like a washing machine and recently one of the USB ports decided to stop working.  Finally, naught but a few minutes ago, it decided to never turn on again.  It's totally not under warranty so maybe I can get the hot MW2 360 for Christmas.  That'll also upgrade my 20G hard drive significantly.  But not all is lost, because I can finally spend some much needed time with my PS3, and maybe I'll pick up Uncharted!

Sniipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sniipe

My 360 has been on the verge of death lately.  Its sounds like a washing machine and recently one of the USB ports decided to stop working.  Finally, naught but a few minutes ago, it decided to never turn on again.  It's totally not under warranty so maybe I can get the hot MW2 360 for Christmas.  That'll also upgrade my 20G hard drive significantly.  But not all is lost, because I can finally spend some much needed time with my PS3, and maybe I'll pick up Uncharted!

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

Man, this is why I didn't get a 360. There's great games for it and all but there's nothing I fear more then a broken console.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By RichardLOlson

Well just take care of your console as much as possible, and just hope that it doesn't crap out on you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@RichardLOlson said:
" Well just take care of your console as much as possible, and just hope that it doesn't crap out on you. "
Well with the 360 it's just a matter of time, I guess you could say that with any piece of technology but the 360 has an extra short life span.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By JoelTGM

heh I guessed what this thread was going to be about before entering.  Just hope you get it fixed for free. 

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@Bucketdeth said:
" @RichardLOlson said:
" Well just take care of your console as much as possible, and just hope that it doesn't crap out on you. "
Well with the 360 it's just a matter of time, I guess you could say that with any piece of technology but the 360 has an extra short life span. "
This.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Willy105
@eroticfishcake said:
" Man, this is why I didn't get a 360. There's great games for it and all but there's nothing I fear more then a broken console. "
Yes! Anytime I play the 360, it's like abusing a frail old man in his death bed by making him do jumping jacks. But that's just because I have high standards for game systems, I came from a time when game systems not only lasted all thru their 5 years of generation, but multiple decades.
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Capum15

My 360's been on the verge of death for around a year now. Well, not really death, but it has a lot of problems (tray won't open normally, gets the occasional red ring on start up but fixes after being turned off then on). Getting an Elite today or tomorrow, whenever UPS gets here.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Willy105 said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
" Man, this is why I didn't get a 360. There's great games for it and all but there's nothing I fear more then a broken console. "
Yes! Anytime I play the 360, it's like abusing a frail old man in his death bed by making him do jumping jacks. But that's just because I have high standards for game systems, I came from a time when game systems not only lasted all thru their 5 years of generation, but multiple decades. "
I hear you, it's because consoles these days are getting more powerful, almost too powerful that overheating has become a problem. Not that powerful consoles are bad but since a company exists for porfit, most aren't too worried about the build quality of their products. I'm always surprised by a majority of people's tolerance towards their 360's breaking down on them. My C64 is two decades old and that still works! In fact, everything before the sixth generation still works.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Willy105 said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
Yes! Anytime I play the 360, it's like abusing a frail old man in his death bed by making him do jumping jacks. But that's just because I have high standards for game systems, I came from a time when game systems not only lasted all thru their 5 years of generation, but multiple decades. "
My Snes (which I don't own anymore) is still ticking fine.
sirkibble23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sirkibble23
@Willy105: Remember when you could leave your console on all day and turn off the screen because you couldn't save? That was classic. Can't do that anymore nowadays.
FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FCKSNAP

Yes, old consoles lasted longer, but did anyone ever get that weird smell after some time? My SNES would smell like burning Styrofoam after leaving it on for awhile.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xyzygy

It's not just a matter of time. This pisses me off when people say that. You need to have it in an open area, always install the game you're into to the hard drive, lots of room for ventilation. Trust me it will last you! I've had mine working for OVER 2 years now, and it runs so silently and I've never had any problems with it.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By super_machine

Yeah man this gen is bad for quality. I went PS3 because I didnt trust MS due to the RROD, but after 13 months even my PS3 died. I babied that thing. My buddies wii also got a burned out disc drive.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Xandurson

That sucks man. I bought an Elite when my previous Xbox died and then a week later the MW2 Xbox was released for only $100 more! Oh well, I'm happy with what I have.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By bed
@sirkibble2 said:
" @Willy105: Remember when you could leave your console on all day and turn off the screen because you couldn't save? That was classic. Can't do that anymore nowadays. "
oh man, i did that all the time XD  
sometimes i forgot to take the PSX off so it was just on for the entire day until we realised that it was still on.  
sirkibble23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sirkibble23

One time my roommate left my 360 on all night after watching a movie. If he was home, I think I would have strangled him on the spot.

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mhkjtha

thats terrible, whats even more terrible that you just accept it (because you dont have a choice)
i hate the 360

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake
@sirkibble2: Considering the fact that it doesn't consume that much power I never felt bad for wasting (too much) power. Different story with the PS3 or 360, that things a fire hazard after a certain period of time.

@Snapstacle: It think that's just you. The only smell I got was that lovely silicon smell from the cartridges.
XboxDreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By XboxDreams
@Bucketdeth said:
" @RichardLOlson said:
Well with the 360 it's just a matter of time, I guess you could say that with any piece of technology but the 360 has an extra short life span. "
Good to mention that for every new xbox 360 sku that is shipped the lifespan get's better.  I red ringed twice under warranty with the first edition consoles. My 360 elite has gone almost 2 years without any issues. They are all loud though. It is a high price to pay for the entertainment but let's face it, staying up with any popular consumer electronic device is expensive. IE: my 3 iPhone's I have bought in the few short years of it's existence. 

Save up or ask for the  MW2 bundle. it 's the latest sku and a 20GB HD is ancient now that Games on Demand is gaining steam.
sirkibble23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sirkibble23
@mhkjtha: Well, like I said, he wasn't home. By the time he got home I was asleep and my rage had cooled.

@eroticfishcake: For real. Doesn't the PS3 consume more power too? It's like, if you leave your 360, it spontaneously combusts. If you leave your PS3 on, it drains the power out your house. It's a lose, lose. :(
Sniipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sniipe

My 360 started out pretty well.  I've had it for about two years or maybe more, and it only red-ringed once.  So, I guess I was expecting it to completely die sooner or later, but I'd say I'm pleasantly surprised how long it lasted.  Granted, a $400 console SHOULD last more than two years, but I keep realistic expectation.

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mhkjtha
@XboxDreams said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" @RichardLOlson said:
Good to mention that for every new xbox 360 sku that is shipped the lifespan get's better.  I red ringed twice under warranty with the first edition consoles. My 360 elite has gone almost 2 years without any issues. They are all loud though. It is a high price to pay for the entertainment but let's face it, staying up with any popular consumer electronic device is expensive. IE: my 3 iPhone's I have bought in the few short years of it's existence.  Save up or ask for the  MW2 bundle. it 's the latest sku and a 20GB HD is ancient now that Games on Demand is gaining steam. "
2 years without issues? is that supposed to be impressive

hell ive never even come close to run into hardware problems like this with custom built pc's despite my stupid overclocking.
XboxDreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By XboxDreams
@mhkjtha: Yes 2 years is good for me since I red ringed twice in the first year. 
Are PCs more reliable? Yes. But you can not get a lot of titles on the PC because publisher's aren't making money on PC game sales. Unless the name of the title is World of Warcraft. Also console multiplayer is far more balanced since we are all using the same hardware. Like I said it's a price I am willing to pay. a few hundred bucks every couple of years is also cheaper than trying running a up to date gaming pc.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King

Won't turn on? Have you tried the fans, the power source, and just about every other bad idea the Internet has :P?

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mhkjtha
@XboxDreams said:
" @mhkjtha: Yes 2 years is good for me since I red ringed twice in the first year.  Are PCs more reliable? Yes. But you can not get a lot of titles on the PC because publisher's aren't making money on PC game sales. Unless the name of the title is World of Warcraft. Also console multiplayer is far more balanced since we are all using the same hardware. Like I said it's a price I am willing to pay. a few hundred bucks every couple of years is also cheaper than trying running a up to date gaming pc. "
keeping your pc up to date is cheap if you can stand playing the most demanding games on medium if you custom build and buy the right stuff.

if you buy 2 360s (because 1 broke) and a few harddrives youll waste more money on hardware then i will this generation, and gets worse graphics to boot.

pc multiplayer isnt unbalanced because of variable hardware, if youre getting below 60 fps you can merely turn down the graphical settings to get 60+fps.
XboxDreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By XboxDreams
@mhkjtha said:
" @XboxDreams said:
" @mhkjtha: Yes 2 years is good for me since I red ringed twice in the first year.  Are PCs more reliable? Yes. But you can not get a lot of titles on the PC because publisher's aren't making money on PC game sales. Unless the name of the title is World of Warcraft. Also console multiplayer is far more balanced since we are all using the same hardware. Like I said it's a price I am willing to pay. a few hundred bucks every couple of years is also cheaper than trying running a up to date gaming pc. "
keeping your pc up to date is cheap if you can stand playing the most demanding games on medium if you custom build and buy the right stuff.  if you buy 2 360s (because 1 broke) and a few harddrives youll waste more money on hardware then i will this generation, and gets worse graphics to boot.  pc multiplayer isnt unbalanced because of variable hardware, if youre getting below 60 fps you can merely turn down the graphical settings to get 60+fps. "
Good point, I have never gone down that path with a pc but I think there are valid arguments for either. I think I prefer console gaming because it is just easier for me. I don't have to worry about a new game not working or mixing correctly with my current hardware.