What 2010 Giant Bomb review score irked you most?

• 127 results
BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BBQBram

In general, I think we all respect the review process here at GB and find the crew's opinions on the latest releases insightful and helpful in deciding for ourselves if something is for us. However, there is always that wtf moment when a game seems misunderstood or glorified, under- or overrated. 

For me, Prototype getting 4 stars seemed crazy. The game was esthetically bland and generic to the point of it being grating. The gameplay was allright, but all in all that couldn't save the game from the lowest common denominator story and tone. And for that mediocrity to get 4 stars while other, more competent games got a reserved 3 stars seemed a bit baffling to me. 

Anyway, this is all subjective of course, but here's the question:

What 2010 review score seemed off to you, and why?

P.S. No disrespect to the reviewers, this site and all it's great content and community features are as always, greatly appreciated! Just a little reflection here, as personal taste can't be argued.

Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Onno10

Brutal legend was worth more then 3 stars, "full blown rts" my ass
But yeah... different tastes I guess

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By crusader8463

Nothing. I don't look at their reviews because none of them share the same interest in games that I do, so what they think has no impact on games I like. I find that quicklooks replace the need for a review, but I suppose some people just need a number to label a game and know what they need to think of it. 

Reading your OP though, 4 stars for Prototype is kind of crazy. I could see a 3 because it did do a few things well and is worth playing if you can rent it or get it on Steam for $4-$5, but I guess they just enjoyed it more then I did.

Afro_Stevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Afro_Stevens

While some of them have bothered me, I always think about the person who wrote it, as well as the reasons they gave for their score. Because of that, I've never really been disappointed with any of the scores. Ultimately, I'm going to decide if it's a game I want to play or avoid entirely. Sometimes their reviews do help with that, though.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By JoeyRavn
Epic Mickey being given only two stars seemed really odd to me. I know it's not the masterpiece it wanted to be when the first pieces of concept art started popping out on the Internet, but still... I haven't played it yet, but I find it hard to believe it's so bad. But besides that, I don't disagree too much with the scores they gave throughout this year.
yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By yoctoyotta

I don't really care too much about the scores on a personal level, but Epic Mickey and GT5's low scores totally screwed me over to the tune of 50,000 points on imcalling.it

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By recroulette

I just checked out all of the reviews, and none of them really bugged me that much.  

And didn't Prototype and Brutal Legend come out in '09?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Eh. None of them, honestly, because reviews contrary to my opinion don't "irk" me in any way.  

Though, I will say I disagreed with the nuances of the Halo Reach review. But that means pretty little, considering I love Halo, therefore making these "I'm tired of the Halo formula" remarks impossible to comprehend. 

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Synthballs

Fable III deserved more. Just sayin'

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Master_Funk

Dead nation. 2 stars was too low. And it cam out of nowhere cus brad was saying  in both the quick look and the bombcast that he liked it

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Raymayne

Comic Jumper isn't a 4-star game in my opinion, even Jeff didn't seem to think so, in his review he says the only thing the game has going for it is the humour, so why on Earth should it deserve 4 stars?  

I guess the Castlevania HD one irked me the most though, I don't think it was given enough of a chance, the co-op in that game is fantastic and there's so much gear and so many hidden secrets to find that re-playing the levels is much more of a joy than a grind, it was a new and original Castlevania experience and one that I think should be commended. Having said that, it definitely appeals to a very specific type of gamer and Jeff just isn't it, he's the type of guy who gives 4 stars to Hydro Thunder Hurricane... 

Then there's Limbo, I mean Christ that game is overrated as shit, 2 hours of black and white gravity puzzles you could find on any decent flash-game site does not a 5-star game make. 

Oh whatever, I could do this all day, the GB staff have very different opinions on games to me and they're entitled to them so I have no right to complain or anything like that.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By MEATBALL

I don't find myself irked by review scores, but if I were to choose one score I particularly disagreed with it would probably be Metroid Other M's 4 stars. I'm one of those that really didn't enjoy that game.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By Cincaid

Sad to see Dead Rising 2 only getting 3 stars, but as always I don't really care what reviewers think since I have my opinion and they have theirs. And I'm a huge fan of the Dead Rising franchise, so I probably shouldn't review it anyway! :)

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By wealllikepie

i think that ac brotherhood getting 5 stars was a bit too much: it was essentially ac2 but with more stuff and i got really worn out by it by the end, but i guess its ryans opinion :P

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Quacktastic

Splinter Cell got 4 stars here - and decent reviews everywhere, really.  No one mentions it now though in those games of the year threads. I think it was so bland people forgot about it in like 9 months.  None of them irked me, they are just reviews, but that's one I would have guessed would be lower.

@MEATBALL said:

" I don't find myself irked by review scores, but if I were to choose one score I particularly disagreed with it would probably be Metroid Other M's 4 stars. I'm one of those that really didn't enjoy that game. "

That too.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Review scores don't really bother me, it's clearly just an opinion thing. Modern Warfare 2 getting 5* was the only thing that ever irked me, but that's because I think the multiplayer was trash.The rest of it deserved 5*.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mnzy
@Raymayne said:
"Then there's Limbo, I mean Christ that game is overrated as shit, 2 hours of black and white gravity puzzles you could find on any decent flash-game site does not a 5-star game make. "
This is the only one basically.
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By xMP44x

I disliked the Mafia II rating considering that I am a massive fan of the game. I'm sure by this stage, everyone knows I really enjoy Mafia II though. Giving it a 3/5 means that, as a percentage, the game would have received 60%. That isn't a good way to convert the score over, but getting a 3/5 means that it appears to be an average title. I did not think it was average, but I know a lot of people did not like it as much as I do. I'm not really frustrated or displeased with the score it earned though, because I can understand that reviews are subjective, and are merely opinion. The Giant Bomb crew gave their opinion so I won't disagree with it.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By mzuckerm

Alpha Protocol getting only 3 stars.  I thought it deserved 4 or 4.5, and while some of the objections in the review were appropriate, I think the complaint about the combat is just a misconception of the type of game it is.  It's an RPG, not a third person shooter.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Kierkegaard

None in particular irked me. I did just want to say though that this level of civil discourse about something as torrid as review scores is quite impressive. Good on ya, GiantBomb.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Brendan

All the reviews that lost me points on imcalling.it  ;)   Damn you GT5 review, I thought you were a sure bet!!
Pickingwings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pickingwings

Dante's Inferno review of two stars kinda irked me, but I say he wasn't that far off in the review.  I thought the game was alright and would at most give it a 3 stars,  Not really a big complaint as I can see why he would dislike the game.

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23  Edited By tofford

Think all reviews gave there reasons for the scores although I think Halo Reach was a 5 star game. I can see why Jeff gave it 4 stars though

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zero_

I felt while certainly not perfect, God of War 3 was a 5 star game and not the 4 Ryan gave it. 

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Doctorchimp

All I know is I absolutely love it when fanboys on here get their panties in a bunch... Lost Planet 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Dead Rising 2 it's all comedy gold.

That being said, after hearing them gripe and moan about certain games and reading their reviews Prototype got an insanely high review, Final Fantasy XIII read and sounded like a 2 star game from Brad's opinion, and Fable 3 also sounded like a bad game, but they still gave it 3 stars..

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Doctorchimp
@Zero_ said:
" I felt while certainly not perfect, God of War 3 was a 5 star game and not the 4 Ryan gave it.  "
That probably had something to do with Bayonetta coming out before God of War 3.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Doctorchimp: Agreed. You hear them talk about Fable III and you'd be damned to think they'd given it anything other higher than two stars. 
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Doctorchimp
@Sir_Ragnarok: Yeah I don't know, I love this site because they don't bullshit you on quick looks or the podcast and even on the live streams they always come off as genuine, but man if those scores sometimes seem a little off. 

Granted it doesn't mean shit, the review is the review not the dumb stars on top. But there's a discrepancy where I'll see the 3 stars and go "oh Fable 3 is just okay so it's like more of the same of Fable 2" and then you get in the review and hear them talk about the game and it's a little jarring. They just shit on that game from the ending, to the way it plays, and the dumb UI...er lack there of. 

I don't mean to spoil anything, but they had their game of the year video get put up by mistaken and they gave Fable 3 the most disappointing game of the year award. Yo think about it..it went up against Final Fantasy XIV and XIII
BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BBQBram

Good to see this thread didn't turn into a flame war. When I made I was second-guessing myself for a while there. Some good ones in here. I think people shouldn't be too hung up on review scores differing from the impression they give on the quick looks or bombcasts, as that's mostly when they're in the middle of the review process and they're probably a bit more critical when they've finished a game and take a step back.

That said, I agree with Epic Mickey's review seeming a bit harsh, and 5 stars for AC:Brotherhood is pherhaps a bit high. The game is great, I've been loving it, but basically it's AC 2.5 loaded with content and a few new features.

Agree with Doctorchimp though, fanboy raging over low scores for meagre games is pretty lulzworthy.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By skyline7284

Hot Pursuit getting a 4/5 should have been a 5/5... Meh.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zombie2011

Dante's Inferno only getting 2 stars. The review came out like 3 weeks after the game, and after a video of Ryan repeatedly trying to get part one challenge near the end of the game for 40 mins.

Xiemos2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By Xiemos2

Star Wars Force Unleashed II getting three stars, ridiculous! Deserved less!
Game was straight up horrrrrrrrrrrrible, way worse than the first one (which had so much potential, too!)

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By Tordah
@Slayer22 said:
" Dead nation. 2 stars was too low. And it cam out of nowhere cus brad was saying  in both the quick look and the bombcast that he liked it "
This.
Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jayzilla
@BBQBram: I think people need to start differentiating the two separate issues with being ticked at a review score. 1.) Are you ticked that a game you were really excited for has some bugs, isn't very fun, is tedious in some places and control mechanics may be busted and GB gave it a less than stellar score because of it(EX: FF13 review)? 2.) You think a GB reviewer's opinion of the game is off? Since you can only disagree with someone's opinion about something as trivial as a game, why let it make you mad. Don't hate the reviewer, hate the game duders.
eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By eristocrat

I've mostly learned that Jeff and Brad are very different from me so I have to read their reviews thinking about that.  However, Bayonetta and General Knoxx are some 5 star shit.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Probably the Lost Planet 2 review because I felt it was a very good sequel to the first game, shedding most of the single-player trappings, being more epic, better graphics, refined mechanics although adding a few unfortunate interface flaws - not that I think having to wait a bit to get into a coop game is such a big deal. I get that it's slow and not as twitchy as other shooters, but I don't think that justifies such a negative review.
I also disagree with the FFXIII and Limbo reviews, felt the former scored too low and the latter rather too high.
As others said, I can accept their opinions don't mesh with my own and that's fine. I get more use out of the video content in forming an impression anyway, so it's not a problem. Unfortunately the discourse around the site's reviews tends to involve being called a fanboy for disagreeing or making personal attacks on staff.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By gamb1t

gran turismo 5

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By IamTerics

Lost Planet 2 the most. It had its issues but shooting aliens and mechs is too much fun. There was a lot of weird stuff in the game later on like the combining mechs and the support weapons transforming that made this game memorable for me.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By ProfessorEss

The only review related issue that irked me was their refusal to review Red Dead Redemption for reasons we will never know.

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tooPrime
@mnzy said:
" @Raymayne said:
"Then there's Limbo, I mean Christ that game is overrated as shit, 2 hours of black and white gravity puzzles you could find on any decent flash-game site does not a 5-star game make. "
This is the only one basically. "
Agreed 100%.
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MeierTheRed

None of them, i don't take review scores to heart.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bybeach

All their reviews irk me when considering the numerical part, I do not think the 5 whole star method is working. I gives four too low positions, and one absolute. I would just focus on the written, and I try do, but it the numerical that the world uses, and what the written is tethered to. Despite all those noses being so far up in the air  about the numerical score , in the end thats what ppl. see first, and very often only. 

All I can say is. QL's are a viable personal alternative to whether I will like a game.
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By cornbredx

None. I don't take other peoples opinions like that. My feelings aren't swayed about what someone thought of a game. I only use it as one indicator of many on whether or not a game is worth it. Ultimately the quick looks give me more insight into whether I'd actually enjoy a game or not more than anyone's opinion ever will.

People's ability to get emotionally swayed by a review kind of confound me. I don't get why it matters. It's one thing to defend a game, but a review, especially here, is just one person's opinion based on their experience. This does nothing to affect whether or not you enjoy playing the game- contrary to reviewer opinion or not.

That being said I like most games you probably don't and vice versa you probably like games I don't. Does this make either of our opinions of said games invalid? That's rhetorical, no it does not.

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By tooPrime
@Zero_ said:
" I felt while certainly not perfect, God of War 3 was a 5 star game and not the 4 Ryan gave it.  "
I have not played a God of War since the first one, but I am generally under the impression it is a well made continuation of the tradition of the first two, so while I am sure it is probably a great game I know the way Jeff and Ryan score, and they would knock off a point just for lack of innovation or hitting the same points again, even if those points are good ones.  Twilight Princess was pretty much the same thing.
eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By eristocrat
@ProfessorEss said:
" The only review related issue that irked me was their refusal to review Red Dead Redemption for reasons we will never know. "
Jeff said it's because by the time any of them were in a position to review it it was outside of the traditional review window and they had already discussed it on the podcast a bunch.  If it had been reviewed it probably would have been Brad giving it a 5 like he's basically stated he would have multiple times in various places around the site.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By Animasta
@owl_of_minerva said:
" Probably the Lost Planet 2 review because I felt it was a very good sequel to the first game, shedding most of the single-player trappings, being more epic, better graphics, refined mechanics although adding a few unfortunate interface flaws - not that I think having to wait a bit to get into a coop game is such a big deal. I get that it's slow and not as twitchy as other shooters, but I don't think that justifies such a negative review.
the thing I get from LP2 is that it's primarily a coop game, and Brad didn't touch much of the coop or played the entire thing single player first. Never played it myself, but that's how I saw it.
Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Noodles

This thread irks me more than any review ever will.

Just sayin'.

Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Monte

Limbo is a 3 star game at best

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ramone

Initially the Black Ops review seemed off to me, especially considering that MW2 got 5 stars, but I after a while I do agree with Jeff.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By 2HeadedNinja
@crusader8463 said:
" Nothing. I don't look at their reviews because none of them share the same interest in games that I do, so what they think has no impact on games I like. I find that quicklooks replace the need for a review, but I suppose some people just need a number to label a game and know what they need to think of it.    

Same for me ... I know what I like in games so I really dont need anyone to tell me what he/she thinks a game should be rated. Quicklooks are what I want: I see gameplay of a game and can see if the game is for me or not. I would be fine if they dumped reviews and moved that manpower into doing more quicklooks.