What are the best local multiplayer games to troll with on modern consoles? Actual good game recs accepted too.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigsocrates

I have a friend who is staying with me for awhile. We've been friends since we were teenagers and one of the things he loved to do back then was make me rent scary movies and watch me get freaked out by them. As adults I don't find scary movies that difficult to watch anymore but now he loves to troll me with movies that are just horrible. He made me watch that new Resident Evil movie and it was just excruciating. A horrible horrible movie that is somehow worse than the Street Fighter movie that Neal McDonough is also the villain of. Neal McDonough has a worse video game movie track record than Uwe Boll.

Anyway he doesn't play a ton of video games but last night he wanted to play something multiplayer so I decided to get him back with some troll choices. I have a lot of games acquired over the years so I have plenty of options. My first choice was the original Street Fighter, since we used to play Street Fighter 2 back in the day on SNES and I know he likes it. He talked a big game about how he could have fun with any Street Fighter game because Street Fighter was his jam back then, but then I got to watch him struggle with the clunky controls and stiffness of the game and he got frustrated very quickly. It was hilarious. He tried to trip me up by saying "oh if Street Fighter 1 is bad then we should play Street Fighter Zero because that must be much worse" and that was a pretty funny attempt to be slick.

This game is bad and you will feel bad for playing it.
This game is bad and you will feel bad for playing it.

Next I made him play the original Space Invaders and NES Pinball and he did not enjoy either of those. Then we went even further back to the Atari Flashback collections and I forced him to play Slot Machine for the 2600 and that thing is barely even a game. It was probably the best choice for sheer "there is no way to enjoy this" video game trolling that I can think of currently available. Then we played some 2600 basketball (also terrible) and then I relented and we played a little Waku Waku 7 (an actual good game but weird enough to still troll with) and then we played through Final Fight (not really a troll because we loved it as kids and that's still a fun game), played a little Gunstar Heroes (not a troll, obviously, but too frantic for him and he kept draining my life to jump back in the game, which is how 2 player works in that game) and then finished the night with some pass the controller play of Dark Anthology: Man of Medan (not a troll at all because as mentioned he loves horror, and he got super into that game.)

So my question to the forum is what multiplayer games that are available on modern platforms (though obviously from the above examples they can be old games in anthologies or whatever too) would you use to troll someone? Games that are bad, games that are just weird, or games that can troll through some other means?

Is there a worse game available on modern consoles than 2600 slots? That's the challenge.
Is there a worse game available on modern consoles than 2600 slots? That's the challenge.

I would also appreciate suggestions of legit good multiplayer games, especially horror stuff, but I have a ton of those so that's less of a pressing need. The Dark Anthology series plus Until Dawn and The Quarry will keep us busy for a long time but if there are other good multi-player suggestions especially story driven and horror focused that would be useful. I think co-op is better than competitive because I've played a lot more games than he has and he wasn't even able to win a round off me in Waku Waku 7, a game I have barely played.

If you have good stories of trolling your friends with games share them here too. And don't feel bad for my friend. The first time he played the Resident Evil movie for me I went to bed early to avoid it and the next night he told me that he'd paused it and watched something else so I "wouldn't miss any of the action." He knows what he's doing and he started this war. I'm just the one who is going to finish it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

What was that David Jaffe thing that Dan fucking despised? Can you still play that?

Or make him play Genital Jousting for maximum discomfort.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: Drawn to Death never had local multiplayer and is no longer playable except for the little intro bit.

Genital Jousting is not on console (I am not going to get this dude to play a PC game) and also wouldn't work because it's not a terrible game and at this point is not really shocking in any way. It's 2022 and penises have lost their shock value.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

It's been a long time since I had consistent co-op play with anybody, especially local, but I remember Super Pole Riders from Sportsfriends being a game that was easy to learn, hard to master and offered a ton of opportunity for trash talk and strategically pretending to be bad/good.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By darkvare

borderlands has couch co-op resi 5 and 6 do too diablo 3 on console