What are the community's feelings on the solo content?

ak1mbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Poll What are the community's feelings on the solo content? (167 votes)

Hate it! I want conversations, not monologues! 30%
Indifferent. I enjoy it enough to watch. 47%
Love it! More chat interactions, more focus on the games! 23%
 • 
Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

It doesn't do anything for me. I get the situation right now for sure but I would certainly choose less content for it having at least two of the GB crew on the video or more. I would love to see an impromptu show start up.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Completely understand why they are doing it, but I would not want it to become a regular thing once they are able to back to the office. Jeff is the exception, but he has been running those for quite a while anyway.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm not a big fan of it, makes it feel a bit lonely.

AlisterCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I don't enjoy it but I'm not angry about it as the poll option would suggest.

Jaalmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

It depends on what's being played. I really enjoyed Brad's solo quick look of Doom Eternal but everything else has been indifferent so far. Obviously, I'm happy that there’s content at all but I look forward to seeing the crew back together in a studio.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno. I kinda like it? I wouldn't want it to be a long term thing, but I feel like the site had kind of been stuck in a rut lately where they've just been cycling through a pretty rote set of content and this is forcing them shake things up a bit. Would we ever have gotten Jan playing through Bloodborne otherwise? I kind of doubt it.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a reason they stopped doing one person quick looks very early on in the life of this site

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mostly use Giant Bomb as something to throw up on my second monitor, so I don't mind it. I sure wish Jeff would do a jar time though. I think it's fun and novel, for the time being.

sakesushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sakesushi

I would select "Like It!" in the poll if the option was there. Now that I'm working from home, I've been able to watch live and keep up with chat more which has been a lot of fun, but once we're passed all this, I wouldn't have the same level of engagement, so having at least a second person on stream to bounce off would be nice (kinda experiencing it with watching some on demand content I missed). It's basically a typical Twitch stream with a GB duder.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These are kind of extreme circumstances, and I don't think anyone was prepared for this. Jeff maybe more than the others because of his Jar Time and other solo streams, but even that isn't completely comparable to doing regular content for the site as a replacement for stuff like UPF or group Quick Looks.

I'd say give it some more time. Right now everyone is still in the process of getting things figured out and settling into a comfortable rhythm. Maybe it sounds corny, but I'm just thankful that the crew is working as hard as they are to continue having a presence during a literal pandemic. It's some small amount of comfort to continue to hear from them, even if it isn't perfect.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 14

Brad just Brading our was fun to watch. Jans playthrough is fun but I do think he would greatly benefit from a co-pilot like Rorie that knows the game a bit because he is struggling with some basics - which is perfectly normal for a newcomer. Jeff does his own thing but honestly as much as I love Jeff for his banter, I’ve greatly fallen off the type of stuff he streams.

It’s hit or miss really. As a rule of thumb though it’s always more fun with more people around.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When recording gaming video, the staff is just much more used to having minimum 1 other person to bounce conversation off of. Chat interaction helps (e.g. all of Twitch survives on this), but for say, the Doom Eternal quick look, it’s a pity Brad couldn’t do some screenshare with anyone else at GB and have them ask him questions about the game as he did his 6AM Quick Look.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mellotronrules

yeah, it is what it is. it doesn't hold my attention as much, but at the same time it is very comforting to have on in background. i really do appreciate them throwing together the solo stuff though- it's been a lifesaving distraction as everyone feels the walls closing in.

i think it will improve as time goes by- if they had specific goals or themes for the solo stuff it might be a little more engaging (straight playthroughs with a solo running commentary just doesn't do much for me- across the board).

i also imagine as the world settles in to this new reality things like regular schedules will begin to take shape, which means maybe we'll have more group streams. tough to expect much right now though as routines are being so disrupted.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Completely understandable why they are doing them atm. That said solo streams are just not my thing.

I almost always find them boring no matter who does them. So I just don't watch them.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Tom_omb

I'd prefer more than one person on a video, but I'm into Jan playing Bloodborne. The chat tips may help me get back into the game. It's been at the top of my backlog for a long time, I quit after putting 10 hours into it.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My feelings are that these poll options aren't great.

As for the content, it varies. Some are better at keeping things lively when they're alone than others, but generally speaking two people is better. If they can get pairs or groups up, do that. If they can't reasonably make it happen, I'm not going to complain about solo. We all need something to keep our minds off the shitstorm right now, and listening to people I like playing video games fits the bill.

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate it, but I prefer when there are at least two people and can converse. Though I understand why they are doing it the way they are right now.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Some of the solo stuff has been great, but in general I prefer it when they're bouncing off each other. I completely understand why they're emphasising solo stuff for the time being though.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dig it, Jan's Bloodborne streams got me back into the game...for the moment...

finaldasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#20 finaldasa  Moderator

There's a global pandemic where several staff members are under shelter in place orders or curfews.

And both offices are closed so even if they wanted to, neither coast could get together for a multi-person stream.

Like it not it's the reality for now.

goosemunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer solo streams of terrible games (Jeff playing Super Mario Bros. Special or Vinny playing Bot Colony are probably some of my favourite stuff on this site). Solo streams of good games, I personally don't find very interesting, but hey, in these apocalyptic times I'll take what I can get.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By htr10

I really appreciate all the GB Crew putting out so much content, solo or otherwise, in these difficult times. All the crew brings a different style to the solo streams and that has kept things fresh. Jason’s home streams have become a real highlight for me.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think it's pretty cool. Funny how the first option in the poll is a negative one :D

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup said:

My feelings are that these poll options aren't great.

Completely agree - given the current situation a thinly veiled way of people saying this isn't good is a bit much. Personally I think what they are doing is not only above and beyond what they have to but shows a level of care for this community a lot of other outlets aren't showing. I just wish I got to see more of it but my partner is also a shut in with me and I can't convince her that watching games is as much of a thing as playing them.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Ben's Gundam stream where they all just jumped on and shot the shit. I've been enjoying most of them because they're at least a noisy distraction, but that one so far felt the best.

OmegaCorith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having to work from home, I am getting to experience much more of the content than I normally do and it's interesting to hear how they are approaching this situation. Would it be even better in a studio? Sure, but given the circumstances, I'd say they are doing a fantastic job.

Additionally, I wanted to say I really appreciate the team at Giant Bomb and the community here. You are all really great!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 34

Bad circumstances, but I’m enjoying seeing them play games they’re interested in. Been fun so far.

wheelhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wheelhouse

@ak1mbo: I don't really think any of those choices really reflect my feelings.

I don't mind solo content if it's a game I'm interested in.

But ultimately a solo stream has the problem with the host trying to play through the game AND monitor chat. Generally, most people aren't good at that. Or their personality isn't good enough to carry 2 hours alone. It's why some streamers on Twitch, no matter how good at games they are, don't ever grow their viewership. It's also why most big streamers tend to play multiplayer/group games (though they can carry solo streams) - conversations are inherently more entertaining.

But generally the videos GB puts up aren't about games I personally would enjoy, so conversations make up for that.

For example: I could watch Jan solo Bloodbourne until he platinum's it, because I love the game. But I don't ever watch Jan's Pokemon videos. About to watch Nioh 2 and see how that goes.

There's no way I could suffer through an Animal Crossing video, though. Or any fighting game with only 1 person there.

I think Jeff is probably the only personality I'd attempt to watch play a solo game that I, personally, have no interest in. But even that has limits. I'm slightly older than the GB crew (mid/late 40's) and I've never understood the nostalgia for the late 80's/early 90's games at GB. It's just not my thing. But I thoroughly enjoyed the Vinny and Dan This Is The Run's due to the conversations.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't want much to do with a few members of staff, but I just don't watch their content

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've dug a lot of what I've seen thus far however I haven't had a chance to check out as much of it as I've liked. The Jason/Brad stuff has probably been my favorite, but I think that was more about what specifically they were playing/doing. I don't really know if the Ben Gundam stuff is for more, but otherwise generally Jan playing Bloodborne, Abby playing Animal Crossing and Jeff doing Jeff stuff all seems fine to me. Jeff probably most used to doing this given his previous Jar content and other stuff. I feel like with Jeff's solo streams it always generally comes down to, "am I in the mood to watch retro game shit right now?" But that can come around often. I totally get that some folks probably aren't as hot on retro content, but even if it's something I'm less familiar it feels like going into the gaming vault with someone who knows his shit. It can be as entertaining as it is educational sometimes.

Jellybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jellybones

I much prefer the streams where there's at least one other person hanging out. It makes all the difference in the world.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I LOVE watching Jan steam Bloodborne

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems inappropriate, at least with the given options.

The guys are doing a fantastic job.

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer group streams but that's just not possible right now, solo streams are making the best of a bad situation. It's better than nothing.

I picked indifferent since it was the best of the options for me.

Squadaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely prefer the streams where they've got more than one person in voice chat but I understand that not always being available.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point, aside from revisiting classic content, Jeff's solo stuff is the only GB content I consistently watch anyway, so I'm completely fine with this. If I had one complaint, though, it's that we aren't getting a new Jeff 'n' Vinny Endurance Run. Sure, it'd be better if they were sitting on a couch together, but that was never going to be an option anyway, so if they have to do it online...I can't think of a better time for them to do a coast-to-coast ER. I'd even sign up for a month of Premium for that shit.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

At this point, aside from revisiting classic content, Jeff's solo stuff is the only GB content I consistently watch anyway, so I'm completely fine with this. If I had one complaint, though, it's that we aren't getting a new Jeff 'n' Vinny Endurance Run. Sure, it'd be better if they were sitting on a couch together, but that was never going to be an option anyway, so if they have to do it online...I can't think of a better time for them to do a coast-to-coast ER. I'd even sign up for a month of Premium for that shit.

Sorry, but your username is terrific