What are the funniest moments in video games to you?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Doesn't have to be intentional, doesn't have to even be from a comedic game. Or it can be! Just moments in video games that you thought were absolutely hilarious and stuck with you. I have a few.

One of the earliest, funniest moments in a game that had me in tears as a kid was the driving level in Parappa the Rapper. My dad was watching me play it at the time. For some reason, when the song started and they were tilting their heads back and forth so ridiculously and unnaturally, it had us laughing so hard we couldn't breath. Then the lyrics started "alright. we're here. just sitting in the car." So blunt and priceless.

The next biggest one I can remember is Jam Jars from Banjo Tooie. I was excited to meet the new mole who teaches you moves in the sequel, then I heard him speak and I LOST IT.

For this last one, I don't have a video but it's from Final Fantasy IX. If I remember correctly, Quina was on a bridge or something trying to eat some creature. The creature jumped off the bridge, which of course made Quina jump in after it. An old man sitting down next to her turned and I think said "Suicide, eh?" There were so many well written comedic moments in FFIX but that took the cake.

No Caption Provided

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just love how PaRappa repeats the questions like "Do I know why we stopped the car?" Damn I missed that game, isn't there a remaster coming to PS4 later this year?

As for funniest moments in games, I can't think of any scripted moments in games off the top of my head but I always look forward to crazy shenanigans that happen in open world games. I've been playing a tonne of Watch Dogs 2 recently and that is a fantastic game to walk around and just witness random hilarious acts of NPC on NPC violence. One slight like bumping into one another or nearly running over a pedestrian often causes a chain reaction. It's great.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3  Edited By Joe_McCallister

PaRappa was probably one of the early ones for me too - I didn't recall it being that funny but then playing it remembered those heads freaking out when you repeatedly mash the wrong button, or the freestyle sections where you just start having a fit.

For me, the funniest moments are always either unscripted, glitches, or totally unpredictable. I remember laughing so hard I almost threw up the first time I saw ragdoll physics in action, then saw them refined in GTA and Saints Row. I was watching a best of the other day, and moments like where Dan dresses up as the sheik, and Vinny just imagines what the other people at the party are seeing and thinking - those to me make the funniest moments and memories.

Punching a reporter in Mass Effect was pretty good too though...

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

A lot of the comedic writing in Portal 1 & 2 was really great. It's probably the most consistently good comedy writing in video games ever. "I am the Milkman, my milk is delicious" cutscene in Psychonauts is so whacky and great.

Hitman (2016) is just funny in its gameplay and what really makes it work is how great of a straight man Agent 47 is during your chaos that you put him through and make him go through.

Most recently, this dumb bug I had in The Last Guardian had me chuckling like an idiot for a good 5 minutes:

Avatar image for numericdyslexic
NumericDyslexic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe the tutorial from Portal 2 because the it plays off of being a game subverts what you expect from the jump?

There are so many moments to choose from though. I always loved finding the bridge of doom from Monty Python in Fallout 2 or watching Daxter from Jack and Daxter discover the gods are tiny space hamsters and he might one of them (it makes sense in context, i promise) and of course Mordin in Mass Effect assuming commander Shepherd's making a move on him.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@turboman: Totally agree on the comedy writing in the Portal series and Psychonauts. The more mechanically driven humor in Hitman almost feels like a bigger accomplishment somehow, just because comedy is all about timing, and while you can script timing with writing, it's really hard to do it with mechanics.

My personal vote is actually just for the entire You Don't Know Jack series. YDKJ: The Ride is still one of the funniest games I've played, and the 2013 and 2015 editions of the game are no slouches either. Actually, I just played what is probably my favorite YDKJ episode ever on Friday, in YDKJ 2015. It "features" Paul Rudd and it's the best.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BoOzak

The Revelations in the Yakuza series were always something special.

Loading Video...

I also find Metal Gear's mix of serious and stupid to be quite good. But I think the funniest moments in games are when things brake in specific ways.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

craigieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By craigieboy

When I saw the title of the thread the first thing I remembered was when I used to play games with my cousin and one time we were playing Driver 2 and one of the gamemodes was basically the cops would throw everything at you and the aim was to survive as long as possible, this lead to us watching the replay of one of our runs and the camera showed us coming out of an alleyway and about 5 seconds later about 10+ cop cars smashing into each other and complete chaos, I think one of the police cars came out of the alley backwards while being flipped vertically.

Dunno why but at the time and considering the age we were we found this hysterical.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a lot of funny moments in Saints Row III & IV (a few in II as well). Probably my favorite is the running gag that the Boss does not understand modern technology at all.

Portal 2, as mentioned, always has tons of funny writing. The hardest I laughed was at the very start of Chapter 9; where Weasley says "This is the part where I kill you," the name of the chapter flashes on screen as "The part where he kills you," and you get a notification for getting an achievement called "The part where he kills you." And this all happens at the same time.

South Park: The Stick of Truth naturally had some hilarious writing too. Hard to pick one thing out.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LucasArts adventure games had some genuinely hilarious writing. The Secret of Monkey Island is up there with the funniest games ever for sure.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TanookiSuit

When stuff unintentionally happens (Such as @turboman 's clip from The Last Guardian above) but doesn't effect your progress/character. Basically when shit just gets wonky without being damaging.

I was playing Let it Die over the weekend and the body of a Hater I killed on Floor 11 was just endlessly flopping around, looking like it was having a good time. Completely harmless, and funny as hell for a few minutes before I ended up getting wrecked by a Jackal for futzing about too long on that floor instead of moving on.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Borderlands the Pre-Sequel, Jack is giving you exposition when he is interrupted by a lone enemy shouting. Jack then says "after you kill that asshole!" Mission objective then become "Kill That Asshole."

Hardest ive laughed at a game in a long time