• 102 results
Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm mainly here for the off topic discussion on the bomb cast and the beast cast. I think Jeff was saying he doesn't want to feel like he has to be up on every single pop culture phenomenon whether he gives a shit or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GB was always a persona driven site first. That hasn't changed as of late, I don't see the guys holding back with their personal opinion if they feel it's necessary to put it front and center.

However as today everything gets put out of proportion and blown up till the next best thing to go crazy for comes up I think their natural reaction to 90% of the stuff the shitstorm culture brings up constantly is simply "whatever". The idiom I hear them bringing up on every other topic that's just hot a given week is "this is not the hill I chose to die on" and I think rightfully so.

Also I don't think there is a "we" in that sense, everyone is entitled to decide which outlets to follow when it comes to media consumption.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm not leaving until I see Dan puke in VR.

But I agree with Jeff. Let them talk about what they want. Forcing someone to have an opinion on something they really don't care about is dull for everyone involved.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 24

As people seem to be saying, I think Jeff's point was more "I'm not going to talk about the hot trending topic just for the sake of it if I don't care" than saying they weren't going to go off-topic. They'll still do that all the time, but they've never really covered things outside of videogames that don't directly interest any of them.

@ir0n said:

GB was always a persona driven site first.

No Caption Provided

... Nice.

Dr_Insane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Dr_Insane

@ir0n said:

GB was always a persona driven site first. That hasn't changed as of late, I don't see the guys holding back with their personal opinion if they feel it's necessary to put it front and center.

However as today everything gets put out of proportion and blown up till the next best thing to go crazy for comes up I think their natural reaction to 90% of the stuff the shitstorm culture brings up constantly is simply "whatever". The idiom I hear them bringing up on every other topic that's just hot a given week is "this is not the hill I chose to die on" and I think rightfully so.

Also I don't think there is a "we" in that sense, everyone is entitled to decide which outlets to follow when it comes to media consumption.

This. Im glad they aren't commenting on whatever recent drama tumblr whiners and twitter professional offense takers are talking about or trying to weigh in on politics and what not. That's just a recipe for more pointless drama and would have me leaving the site in a hurry. It's the reason I avoid other gaming sites like Kotaku. I'm here to have fun learning about video games and occasional fun off topic stuff, not get my social and political views or find out what aspects of pop culture I should care about. Let them talk about the stuff they feel like talking about rather than forced to comment on whater stupid thing is being argued about in our screwed up drama intense culture. They regularly talk about non-gaming stuff when it interests them, that's not going to change OP, you must have misunderstood Jeff if you thought otherwise.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By oraknabo

You know those youtubers that make opinion/reaction videos to every hot social media topic, meme or controversy just to make sure they're constantly shitting out new content to make ad revenue off of? I'm really glad that's not what Giant Bomb is doing.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think you took the wrong impression of what they were saying with that discussion. They were simply saying they will talk about whatever the hell they want to talk about and that's it. They aren't going to force a discussion about a topic that's popular just for the simple fact that it's popular or in the current widespread discussion in media and society.

They'll share opinions on things they want to and continue to not care about the ones they don't care about. Giant Bomb does what it wants always has and that's why I love 'em.

Pretty much. They aren't cynics and when they want to comment on the latest, they do. They just don't feel any obligation to talk about a topic just because it's hot, or just because the internet is outraged or hyped. Like commenting on the latest movie. It met expectations! It didn't meet expectations! There's just rarely anything of interest there.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's a website about videogames, everything else they might or might not discuss is a bonus and should not be forced or expected.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3hr podcasts and all day new hardware / E3 streams. I don't watch most of the premium content.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To each their own, I by no means think they should talk about stuff they don't want to, but it seems like every now and again they, namely Jeff, get over defensive and kind of rude in a way about conveying how they view the community and things they ask. It's like some of them hate the idea of us just looking for simple input. I would enjoy hearing what they thing about BvS. It's not something I'd specifically ask or seek out, but to more or less generalize that the whole audience is like "fuck Zack Snyder amirite?" is way off base. Especially considering they made an entire podcast about Pixels, which was a dumb movie, but far from the worst or an earth ending level film.

I work alone, so I listen to a lot of old Bombcast episodes while working, and I definitely thing there's a much higher level of negativity when discussing certain things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for why I'm here, I'm just looking for a square deal.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because 1up died many a gruesome death. I love this site but it honestly started as a 1up.com replacement for me.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Energy drinks

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't everyone here for the #1 source of Naked Cartoon Pussy?

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a video on the front page right now what has boobs in it. That seemed like a good enough reason for me.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@calbags said:

Vinny

Yup.

Also, I'm here to listen to the crew talk about video games and the latest happenings in the industry. I go to sites like IGN and GameSpot to get the "Yo, this just happened!" articles; I come here for the deeper discussions by the crew about what happened, and, more interestingly, what these things could mean. Listening to the Bomb- and Beastcast crews give informed speculation about the future of the industry is probably one of the most interesting things to me. They can also be super entertaining and hilarious, so that's a big plus in my book too. I don't want them to start giving political opinions, thoughts on pop culture, etc. I just want their opinions/insights relating to video games and the games industry.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm here because I'm still waiting for them to show it

AngryHobo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

millionthlayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking for insightful, yet funny video game commentary!

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravey said:

I'm looking for the adventure game thread. What happened?

Same here. Where is it?

Big_Denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

• Deep insight into the best 40s sold in stores.
  • A fresh perspective on the Bay Area from someone living in an East Coast city (Boston)
  • Energy drinks. Lots and lots of energy drinks.
  • A cast with diverse tastes that appreciate the classics without blindly turning away from recent masterpiece releases as well.
  • Accepting PC gaming and giving it a nod. Most other sites that aren't PC focused shun the PC more often than not.
  • Vinny, Vinny, and more Vinny.
Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm here for their considered perspectives and enjoyment of things and personally feel like the site delivers on that. I'm not going to say that I don't think the staff is wrong at times or being overly reductive or dismissive at times but it's more than okay on balance and contrary opinions are preferable to pandering. Plenty of other sites for that if that's what you're into or need.

Also I have a hard time of thinking of many operations of the same size that are nearly as responsive to their audience as Giant Bomb. It's really easy to overlook that fact.

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

No Caption Provided

If you love him you have to let him go!

Stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I came to this site because I've always loved the humor and personality of the old Gamespot crew and always thought of them as being the most legitimate voices of the gaming press. When Jeff was fired from Gamespot and the rest of the crew basically dropped everything and jumped ship after him, I thought that was really cool and that these guys had a level of integrity that the rest of the gaming press lacked (and still does, in my opinion). As the crew became more candid and uncut about their opinions about games and culture in general, I stuck around because I always thought it was an interesting perspective, and even if I didn't agree with them they always made solid arguments to support what they did or didn't like.

When it came to the Bombcast, I honestly didn't care if they talked about games or not. The insane tangents about random things was enough for me, and the video games side of it kind of took a backseat to everything else oddly enough. Since Ryan died, maybe even a bit before, they started moving away from that and became more focused on games in general which really put a damper on the flow of the Bombcast, in my opinion. Go back and listen to early Bombcasts from the 2008-2010 era and listen to them now and the feel is completely different. I don't know, it just seemed to be more about "fun" than about "work" back then, and while the "old-style" Giant Bomb pops up every now and then I think they've kind of lost that momentum over the years. I just kind of miss Jeff's 20-minute-long nonsensical rants about random things and unreasonable opinions.

Kind of like stuff like this. There isn't enough of this type of stuff anymore.

Loading Video...

ppx89zbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stonyman65: Thank you for exposing me to this glorious diatribe.

ghobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm here for that hot anime coverage.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#79 gamer_152  Moderator

I'm here for a lot of things: The wiki, moderating the site, publishing stuff, live streams, the crews' opinions on video games, silly on-camera bullshit, etc. I also enjoy hearing the crews' opinions on non-video game media. It's not "the reason" I come to the site, but there never has been one reason I come, it's a combination of things. God knows, I don't need to hear their opinion on every big movie and TV show. I like that there's never a sense of obligation to talk about wider pop culture things just because they're what's being marketed or they're what's popular right now, and I'm not going to up and leave the site if they stop talking about them, but I enjoy that discussion and I think it's something that's going to come out naturally anyway.

jaketaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm here for video games and Big Jeffrey

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

8 years ago I took a wrong turn and haven't been able to find the exit since.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Teddie  Online

I watched some of these guys play over 100 hours of Persona 4. You can't just leave after something like that.

I can never leave HELP

Gigabomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt that Jeff was referring to being pulled into calling something shit due to the zeitgeist around a film or game. Being goaded into saying something is shit through Twitter doesn't interest him as he has exorcised those demons.

I'm here because Jeff is hilarious, his reviews and opinions on games are generally solid, he is honest, and he shits all over games that deserve it. Can't watch a UPF or listen to a bombcast without him.

airtighthag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I come to Giant Bomb because last night I was able to get HYPED about wrestlemania without watching it, and in fact having never in my life seen anything wrestling, while listening to Austin and Heather Alexandra's deep dive into the politics of The Division.

eddiephlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm here exclusively for the duders' opinions on superhero movies.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 40

If anyone on the Giant Bombcast said they didn't want to talk about something because the "internet was too polarizing" or that commenters had "too strong of opinions" then it would be extremely hypocritical, especially with how strong Jeff, Brad, and Dan are when talking about...anything. I think @fatalbanana called it right in stating what the crew probably meant with what they said. That being said, I do believe Jeff has 0 opinion in talking about any movies, even ones he liked, but like he's stated before...he doesn't really watch much TV or film so does he really have an opinion to give? I mean, they even started a wrestling podcast and Jeff never even felt like he really wanted to ever do that outside of talking about old wrestling stuff from the network and no one, including Jeff, could ever really bother/have the time to even do that except Alex.

Anyway, I come to Giant Bomb to hear duders talk about stuff, do quick looks, be funny, and do nonsense on video and I still get that. I don't come here for gaming "news", I don't come here for poignant social commentary (though that is now here for those who want that stuff), and I don't come here for talk on the latest films and music. Outside of Metal Gear Scanlon 5 (specifically 5) and Alt-F1 I enjoy all the content on the site and I have very little to complain about outside of how the boards are handled occasionally.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

My read on that was a little bit different than yours. Jeff feels like he doesn't need to comment on everything. I think the example given was Batman vs. Superman. Nobody seems to care about that movie, so they aren't going to talk about it. Beyond that, nobody feels obligated to tweet "Hey, I don't care about Batman vs. Superman". They don't want to really talk about or acknowledge the things they have no interest in. That's why Jeff talked about what he went through trying to listen to the new Kanye album on Tidal. (Because he likes rap music and wanted to listen to it)

There's a larger aspect with how Jeff is less interested in Twitter, but that's a different conversation.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm here for a mixed bag of opinions about vidya games.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they're all fun to listen to, that's why I am here!

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm here because I kept renewing my subscription when it goes on sale and now I have like 5 lifetimes worth of subscription, and I'm gonna get what I paid for damnit. It's like going to an all you can eat, it doesn't matter if you already feel full, you paid a premium and you're gonna sit there and eat all that you can eat you got that?!

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By ratamero

@oraknabo said:

You know those youtubers that make opinion/reaction videos to every hot social media topic, meme or controversy just to make sure they're constantly shitting out new content to make ad revenue off of? I'm really glad that's not what Giant Bomb is doing.

FACTUALLY INACCURATE.

No Caption Provided

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure if we pulled stats from the forums, we'd find most people are here to ask for the next ER.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am here for the podcasts. As others have said, the tangents of the podcasts were the best part of the show... I say "were" because ever since Brad took the role of moderator, it became rarer for them to get off course (except on the e-mails section, thanks everyone in the community for that). I still enjoy most of the conversations, just that I miss a little of the "we talk about anything, not just what is hot this week" energy.

That is why I have been migrating a little to the beastcast in recent months...

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Yeah Jeff wasn't saying that he was never gonna talk about not-game stuff. He was just saying people need to stop opening their mouths about every last damn thing that happens on the internet. Like oh man everyone is dumping on BvS so you should too Jeff! Get your tweet out there man and go OH FUCK THIS MOVIE IS BAD HUH? I think that's what he was saying anyways. I'm sure we can look forward to lots of pop culture commentary from the crew in the future. Just don't demand it I guess? Or specific flavours of it, to be specific.

What am I here for?

Laughter.

This is a place that makes me laugh in a world where that feels rare. I love everyone on staff, all the content really, from the videos to the podcasts and the writing as well. I don't know how I got here in the first place honestly but I won't leave until I'm forced out or the place is just dust.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#95  Edited By jakob187

Honestly, I was here for Ryan's crazy bullshit. Nowadays, I'm just around because there's not any other site that I like.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#96  Edited By avantegardener

To answer your question, what am 'I' here for? I would say honestly, at this stage its familiarity. I 'know' these guys and I feel I understand their likes, dislikes and various foibles (fucking never eaten mayonnaise Rykert!) It's the personality driven content, that is really hard to capture on most websites (youtube is probably stronger in that area now) that keeps me coming back, that and eh..well video james.

It's true, we'll never really know these people, but they have definitely become part of my daily life, in hopefully, the least creepy way possible.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like hearing them talk about stuff they're into. So, if they don't care about most movies, then yeah, they probably shouldn't force a conversation about it, especially if it's going to mostly be negative. There's already enough negative "takes" out there on everything.

vibemecha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm here for Jeff Gerstmann. Brad, Drew, and Vinny are also very strong pulls.

ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm here specifically because I got so tired of all the "pop culture" and "hot topics" bullshit that surrounds games now-a-days. I appreciated the fact this website was about a group of guys hanging out, playing games, and not bothering with all the drama. So long as they keep with that they will keep my subscription.

Duxa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Below is about me, this is why I am here, its not about you, or someone else, its about me:

I am here for 2 podcasts Bombcast and Beastcast, all others are not interesting to me in the least.

I am here for about 1 out of 4 Quicklooks. Most are covering completely uninteresting games.

I am here for about 1 out of 5 UPFs that is interesting, quality on these is sometimes insanely low, and sometimes its great.

I am here to hear about video game ass video games not Wrestling, not TMZ stuff, not phone games or clickers. Also what I mean by video game ass video game is I want to hear opinions, criticism, praise. I am not here to hear "about them", I either already know about them or can easily read up a more comprehensive summary on Wikipedia or elsewhere. Sure give some context but just enough to tell me what you think about it.

My biggest disappointment is with premium content covering modern games. I am very busy and have a huge pile of "gotta get to" video games. So it basically boils down to a question "Do I want these games spoiled?" and the answer is always "No". So while I want to watch the content of MGS, Playdates etc... I dont because I want to play those games for myself. I do enjoy watching them play classics though or games that cant be spoiled (multiplayer, Kerbal, etc).

I am here for Kerbal Project Beast

That about sums it up.