• 54 results
#1 Posted by Rorie (5381 posts) -

I was writing a bit about my GOTY prep in the upcoming newsletter and I got on the subject of catch-up games. Every year I have a few games that I don't have enough time to play during the year and wind up going back to them in December before solidifying my GOTY list. This year I think I need to put more time into God of War (only got to the second world in this one) and I've been meaning to put more time into both Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Divinity OS2: Definitive Edition, but those both seem like pretty significant timesinks. I don't know if anything will drag me away from Odyssey but I'm going to try and make more time for a few more games before GOTY because at this point I'm not sure I'd have a solid ten games for it. I've done five in the past but we'll see if I can fill it up!

Staff
#2 Posted by BradBrains (2245 posts) -

I want to play more Celeste. It was my favorite experience this year but I still have a lot more to do in it so I want to give myself more time in it

#3 Posted by Superharman (247 posts) -

December games are tough for me because I generally have people visiting which makes being able to sit back and get into a game tougher. With that said, this is the backlog I'll be tackling in December

Red Dead 2 - Been playing other games and waiting for my X upgrade

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna the Golden Country - Want to make sure I have a solid weekend to dedicate to this.

Forza Horizon 4 - I started this but haven't had a chance to go back, I'll be upgrading to an X real soon so I'll just wait for that.

I'll also be playing Smash and Darksiders 3 at some point in there but they're not really "backlog" yet.

#4 Edited by Jaalmo (1741 posts) -

I want to go back and play God of War and Spiderman as I left those unfinished. I want to make a start on Detroit: Become Human. I want to play at least a single run through of Hitman 2 and if I got enough time, maybe more Forza Horizon 4, Battlefield V, Red Dead Online and... Fallout 76. I should try Celeste too.

And we also got Just Cause 4 coming out next week... so a lot to play this month. :D

#5 Posted by MajorMitch (1129 posts) -

Hitman 2, Donut County, FAR: Lone Sails, Valkyria Chronicles 4, They Are Billions, Taiko no Tatsujin. Upcoming include Smash Bros. and those Persona dancing games. No way all of these actually happen in December.

#6 Posted by Teddie (2088 posts) -

Probably just gonna focus on Dragon Quest XI now. It was either that or Yakuza Kiwami 2, because both would consume my entire month on their own, and I'm still a bit full from the Yakuza buffet the past couple years.

I've only been keeping track of my GOTY lists for the past 2 years, mostly because I make a list for the GB Community vote. I've never done a full-on written list, but I was considering doing something like a "best of the last 3 years" list where I pit all the games I gave #10 to against each other and then pick the "best" one, ending up with one final list. There are already some really hilarious, bad, embarrassing match-ups comparing my last 2 lists alone.

#7 Posted by nutter (1618 posts) -

Spiderman

Tomb Raider

God of War

Red Dead Redemption

Hitman 2

Detroit

A Way Out

...not digging out of this hole...

#8 Posted by TheHT (15748 posts) -

I refuse to play catch-up like that anymore lol. I'll play a game when I get around to it tyvm. obviously it's different for you, but, you know.

that said, FFXIV has a free login campaign and I wanna log in to my ARR launch account on PC just to see how I left it.

...then probably get the four free days on PS4. God I miss that game.

#9 Posted by SMTDante89 (2935 posts) -

God of War, just got it two days ago after ordering it during Black Friday. Can't really afford to grab some of the other games I'd like to check out at the moment.

#10 Posted by Pezen (2325 posts) -

All of the games? I actually just looked over what I have played this year and realized not only had I played significantly fewer games than usually, I have only actually finished God of War. I need a gaming vacation to get through everything. But right now I’ll probably focus on Red Dead 2 and BFV multiplayer and play catch up with story games ones Red Dead is done.

#11 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15559 posts) -

If we're talking games that came out in 2018 I'd like to finish Valkyria Chronicles 4 and at least one of those Spyro remakes before the end of the year, but I have zero plans to start anything new, other than possibly dabbling in The Bard's Tale IV or Pathfinder Kingmakerdepending on which has been more sufficiently patched. Well, and I want to play more Hitman 2, but that's just because I'm really enjoying Hitman 2.

Weirdly enough, I think there are more games on my preliminary "Old GOTY" list that I'd like to put some serious time into over Christmas break. I'm almost done with Divinity: Original Sin 2, and I'd like to put more hours into Tales of Xillia and Tear Ring Saga.

#12 Posted by berfunkle (146 posts) -

I'm kinda embarrassed. I've been playing some really old games lately, like Persona 4. My top ten list for 2018 would look like a GOTY list from 2008.

#13 Edited by sfw44 (269 posts) -

I have to finish Red Dead 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AC: Odyssey, Spiderman, Dragon Quest XI and Hitman 2. Warframe is kind of old but i'm getting back into that too.

#14 Posted by KingBonesaw (1295 posts) -

I've been playing a bit more Octopath Traveler lately so I'll probably continue playing that for awhile if Super Smash Bros. Ultimate doesn't consume me. I also got a copy of Final Fantasy V for the GBA a few months back so I busted out the old Gameboy Micro and hope to finally put some time into that. Because of this I also played a bit of Golden Sun and boy do I really like that series.

I think I've given up on God of War even though I didn't put enough time into it considering I'm a huge fan of the franchise. I was absolutely loving Spider-Man but stopped playing once Taskmaster shows up. Those challenges really put me off of the game but I was having such a blast that I need to jump back in at some point and just play the story. I've thought about maybe trying AC: Odyssey but then I look at my AC: Origins save file and see that I put around 40 hours into it last year and never finished the story so If I'm going to play an Assassin's Creed game I'll save the money and just play Origins. If I were to pick a personal GOTY I would probably say Dragon Quest XI but I've also fallen off of that lately, I really need to finish that at some point.

I think its safe to say that I bounce off of too many games.

#15 Posted by shorap (380 posts) -

DB Fighterz, AC Odyssey, and DQ 11 which I liked but kinda fell off once I got into RDR 2, which is one of the best games I’ve ever played. I’ll also add Just Cause 4 if it’s not a mess like 3 was on consoles.

#16 Edited by ConfusedOwl (1195 posts) -

Main ones I want to focus on right now are Hitman 2 and Dragon Quest XI. I would add Octopath Traveler to that but it's been a struggle to stay interested in it if I'm being honest. Love the graphics and music but the lack of a main narrative really hurts my motivation to play it. The individual character stories just don't do anything for me and how they handle character interaction is bad. I might pick away at it but it's not a game I plan on finishing this year.

That's it for 2018 games but I was thinking of diving into the Kingdom Hearts collection on PS4 to get ready for KH3. Not sure if I want to play them all since I might burn out but I want to at least play the main ones. Beat both KH1 and 2 a long time ago but don't remember anything about the stories anymore.

#17 Posted by MocBucket62 (2436 posts) -

Bloodstained, DBFZ, Super Smash Bros Ultimate and perhaps Dead Cells are gonna be my catch up games this December. I am liking both Bloodstained Curse of the Moon and DBFZ on Switch. I want to give Dead Cells more time because I have yet to beat it, but I still want to play it since the game feels so good! It gets frustrating when you have a good run and all the sudden you die from your stupidity or from an elite whaling your bum.

#18 Edited by Tylerrools (16 posts) -

My goals: finish RDR 2 (just started ch. 6), Astrobot, and Obradinn. I think that is achievable in the next few weeks. I’ve finished all the other games I care about being spoiled by GOTY.

#19 Posted by sub_o (1138 posts) -

Celeste, The Messenger, Unavowed.

#20 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8647 posts) -

Lamplight City is probably number one on my priority list, and maybe Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

#21 Posted by isomeri (3103 posts) -

I'm only about half way through RDR2 but I feel the need to play something else for a change, so I'll probably pick up Hitman 2 tonight. I also want to fiddle with Battlefield V before the year is out and it's likely that I'll get Pokémon: Let's Go to play on my Switch as a Christmas gift for myself.

#22 Posted by glots (4127 posts) -

Aside from all the games I’m currently playing, I got the season pass for Spider-Man from a sale, so probably going to fire that up at some point during december. Haven’t touched it since I got platinum.

#23 Posted by OMGFather (971 posts) -

Nothing really. I'm nearly finished with Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I do want to play Assassin's Creed Odyssey but I don't mind about spoilers or anything so not in a rush to finish it before the end of the year. I know it's a long, long game so I think I'd like to play that the first half of next year or something.

#24 Posted by stantongrouse (130 posts) -

I have all the Destiny 2 DLC to catch up with - otherwise I think I am still catching up on 2015 releases. I seem to slip further and further behind with each passing year. Phantom Pain and Witcher 3 here I come!

#25 Posted by Vitz (67 posts) -

Divinity Original Sin 2 (definitive edition playthrough)

Dishonored 2

Dead Cells

No Man's Sky

AC Origins

Hitman

But of course what I did was spend an entire weekend preparing a mod loadout for Skyrim and I'm addicted to that now for the umpteenth time.

#26 Posted by Humanity (18250 posts) -

I'm mostly caught up with everything I wanted to play. Hitman is something I will wait for a sale, which is weird since I love the series but it somehow feels like I can wait. Other than that eh I'm good. Beat Red Dead 2 and weirdly enough Sunset Overdrive - got Shadow of the Tomb Raider code with my console purchase so if I want I can chip away at that.

#27 Posted by Capum15 (6003 posts) -

I bought Divinity: Original Sin 2 last week, which has now forced me to go continue my D:OS Enhanced Edition game. I picked it back up incredibly easily which was very surprising.

That'll hold me until Just Cause 4 drops and then I'll be lost in that game for a good while.

#28 Posted by Drachmalius (490 posts) -

For stuff that came out this year I'm just playing more Spyro and Hitman 2. There's a lot of stuff I didn't play of course but I'm not trying to binge everything this year. Probably will get to Obra Dinn next year sometime.

#29 Posted by nutter (1618 posts) -

@stantongrouse: We all have our tastes...but I’d STRONGLY suggest dropping Destiny 2 DLC in favor of MGSV or Witcher 3.

#30 Posted by Fezrock (666 posts) -

I think Tomb Raider and Hitman 2 are the only 2018 games I'll be playing in December. I don't make an official GOTY list for myself, so I feel no need to play games in the year they came out if I didn't get them at release. My other games I'm hoping to play some of in the next few weeks, which I bought during the past Steam sale, are a random assortment of indie games from the past five years that have been on my wishlist for ages.

#31 Posted by inevpatoria (7380 posts) -

Like a lot of folks, I have God of War staring me in the face. I'd played a little at launch--made it to the hubworld and what I think is the first major "realm"--but didn't play it consistently enough to build any real momentum.

Red Dead, I'll play next year sometime. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, I'll get to eventually. Plus, Smash and Just Cause still wait in the wings, both likely to command considerable playtime.

#32 Posted by Chummy8 (3763 posts) -

I'm going to finish Rise of the Tomb Raider tonight and then start on Final Fantasy 15.

#33 Posted by party_hats (32 posts) -

Red Dead (only in chapter 3 so far), Celeste and The Messenger. Oh, and I wanna go back and finish Spider-man.

#34 Edited by NTM (11467 posts) -

Honestly, I don't really have any. That's not because I've played everything, far from it, but I have played everything that I've wanted to play from this year. I'm finding myself buying, and replaying games from the previous few years that have been enhanced on the X. There have been a bunch of games that I bought on the PS4 in the past two years that I got on the X. I just beat The Evil Within 2 all in the first person, which was surprisingly good, and I'm currently going through Mass Effect Andromeda again, which I didn't think I'd do again; I'm really enjoying it though. So yeah, no new games or 'old' games from this year that I'm catching up on. I'm just ready for next year honestly, which should be a fantastic year for games. RDR2 will most likely go down as my favorite game this year, but I'm more or less done with that game now. I've already taken it off my system. I'm not sure if I'll look back on this year as a fond year for gaming. It was fine.

#35 Edited by Moskelosk (40 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption 2 (try out online and finish up side stuff I want to do)

Hitman 2

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Spider-Man 2nd DLC

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Life is Strange 2

Sunset Overdrive

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Also bought a PSVR recently and started playing Resident Evil 7, Moss and Wipeout Omega Collection with it. And I'm also meaning to get Astro Bots, Beat Saber and Superhot VR.

So many games, so little time...

#36 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7349 posts) -

I refuse to catch up. Catch up to what? 2016? 2017? Nah, I just chip away at what I am currently playing and be thankful for that.

#37 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2279 posts) -

I will never “catch up”, but I usually like to play a few of the keystones games of the year, especially if the GB crew is going to discuss them. Gets me a little more engaged since I definitely cannot keep up with the amount of games the crew plays.

God of War

Battlefield V

Destiny 2 expansion if that comes up.

Wish I had more time for Hitman 2, Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed, and Red Dead.

#38 Posted by Shindig (4779 posts) -

I'm giving myself some time to get into Monster Hunter and that's about it.

#39 Posted by sub_o (1138 posts) -

Well I just finished Unavowed. I hope that someday GB has a Point and Click Game of the Year.

That game is good

#40 Posted by Sweep (10523 posts) -

I just jumped into Monster Hunter World for the first time. I'm actually glad I waited, because I've been relying heavily on guides and tutorial videos which wouldn't have existed if I'd bought the game at launch.

I've been saving a few Switch games for the trip I'm taking over the holidays, so Dark Souls and Let's Go Eevee. I'll pick up Smash Bro's as well, once it's out.

#41 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8647 posts) -

@sub_o: Unavowed is really fantastic.

#42 Posted by totsboy (486 posts) -

Wanted to play Obra Dinn and Spider man at least, maybe Vampyr, but between Red Dead 2, Pokemon Let's Go and Fallout 76 I don't think I'll have time for anything else.

#43 Posted by mrcheese (7 posts) -

Celeste and Obra Dinn

#44 Posted by stantongrouse (130 posts) -

@nutter: Well the Destiny 2 DLC lasted me half a weekend (before I saw your recommendation) - so I'll move on to the others now. Witcher 3 should last a bit longer.

#45 Posted by nutter (1618 posts) -

@stantongrouse: If you get into Witcher 3, it’ll last you quite a while.

I’m a bit fanatical about that game, though, and am of the opinion that the worst rinse-repeat content in that game is better than side missions in most other games.

Hope you dig it!

#46 Posted by mems1224 (2439 posts) -

I might finish Spiderman. It was enjoyable enough that I'd be down for more.

I've pretty much given up on GoW and RDR2. Will probably never touch those again

Last week I also got really into Divinity 2 finally. Definitely look forward to playing more of that. It translates pretty well to a console.

#47 Edited by nutter (1618 posts) -

@mems1224: God of War and Red Dead are both on my backlog. I REALLY hope I dig God of War...we’ll see.

I’ve been playing through Spider-man for the last week or so. I really appreciate the way Insomniac is handling the story-telling set-up. I hope it goes somewhere cool.

As it stands, my favorite games of 2018 or mostly from 2015, 2016, and 2017, so far.

#48 Posted by cikame (2574 posts) -

Resonance of Fate and Syphon Filter 3.

#49 Posted by Big_Denim (758 posts) -

Sadly, a lot of the new releases for this year I found to be pretty underwhelming. I haven't played Spiderman yet, so hopefully that will win me back. Right now though, 2018 turned out to be surprisingly disappointing year for games, so I won't be doing much catch up on 2018 games this winter.

What I will be doing is checking out that new Path of Exile update though. I finally gave that game a shot last week and holy hell is it good. So I'm catching up on an old game's new update I suppose :)

#50 Posted by liquiddragon (3162 posts) -

I've basically given up.

I want to finish Valkyria Chronicles 4 but that's it, that's it. Everything else will be Old GOTY material.