What are your feelings of the current focus on let's play for premium content?

• 72 results
katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Poll What are your feelings of the current focus on let's play for premium content? (491 votes)

I'm all for it 45%
I'm okay with it 31%
I would like them to go in a different direction 15%
results 8%

So I decided this month to cancel my premium renewal, not because I don't like giant bomb any more but rather that I don't see enough value in their premium content anymore for me. It seems that aside from upf almost all premium content has become unedited let's play videos (which is kinda funny considering how much they ragged on let's players in the past.) I don't necessarily think this is inherently bad content but for my money's worth I can get just as high quality let's plays for free on other platforms like youtube or twitch.

But what do I know, do you guys like the current layout of premium content, if so what do you like about it most right now, and if not what direction would you like to see premium go in the future. (personally I would like to see more videos that take advantage of the crew's industry experience and connections like noclips documentaries.)

• 
bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's fine content, but I really liked the ideas behind Ranking of Fighters and Old Games Show and those kinds of things. If there's a full game I want to play...I want to play it. Not watch through it. I like watching playthroughs of crap games like Sonic Boom or whatever just to unwind, but the Giant Bomb guys don't do those, they do good games like Yakuza Zero which....I'd play myself.

I watched both Deadly Premonition endurance runs and I wish they'd do something else like that. Something interesting but not that fun to play. But I understand why they'd rather play something actually fun. Can't begrudge them that.

That's one of the great things about Old Games Show. Do I want to play Buck Bumble? I do not. Do I want to watch Jeff play it for 45 minutes and grumble about it while Dan makes fun of single-console focused review outlets that used to give every game a high score? Yes please. I very much want that. I've watched that segment multiple times.

Though maybe that's not even a premium feature? Regardless, I wish they would do more of that stuff, and stick with a project when they start it. I never expected them to rank EVERY fighting game, but I did expect Ranking of Fighters would come out once every month or so, with understandable gaps around GOTY time. They've done 7 of them in the last 2 years so it's not even one per quarter.

Or if a show is canceled or on Hiatus they could do a better job of telling us. Jeff does those Jar Time videos, he should do a state of the site video every 3 months. Let us know what's realistically coming out so it's not just "well this hasn't happened for awhile so maybe it's canceled or maybe it'll come back? Who knows?"

For a site that is usually very open with its audience it is EXTREMELY opaque about these things.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Only Jeff and Brad ragged on Lets Plays. Everyone else is fine with them and Dan just did them for GI mostly as far as what he did on video before he got to GB. Vinny also likes them. They are in GBEAST's wheelhouse.

I love it. More Lets Plays. Most of the best stuff to be on the site was an ER or a playthrough of a game like Phantasmagoria I and II, or recently Tender Loving Care. More please.

Personally, I am very pleased with the content coming out of the East that I am paying for. For that, it's worth it for me. I pay some podcasts $5 a month for just a few episodes so it's worth it I think to pay GB the $35 I do a year for what I am getting for sure. Yeah, there are other Let's Plays out there but I like the GB guys. That's what I'm here for.

I think stuff like Ranking of Fighters is cool but they absolutely can never stay on a schedule so whatever. I'm happy when that stuff comes around.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Corwag

the $35 a year is def a great deal for all the stuff they put out, but I would like more of a variety in that content.

Some of their funniest videos in the past have been the edited together videos. That one where Dan and Vinny are walking around outside E3 last year, the mario on a rollercoaster thing, the best of the year segments (NOT 2016) etc. I'd totally be ok with maybe like ONE edited video in this style...i dunno, a month.

Throw Dan and Abby out on the NY streets with a microphone and camera and just see what weird shit they get into. It doesn't even have to relate to video games - I'd actually prefer if it didn't.

But, yeah they're still getting settled in.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zeik

Beast in the East is almost the entire reason I'm subbed right now. While I enjoy some of the other premium content here and there, it's their LP style content that drew me to the site (P4 ER) and is now my primary motivation for whether to sub or not.

The argument that I can watch LP's for free elsewhere holds no weight for me, because I specifically want to watch THEM play video games. Hell, I was watching the Best Friends Play Yakuza 0 LP simultaneously with BitE for awhile and I never for a second thought it could be a replacement.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine content, but I really liked the ideas behind Ranking of Fighters and Old Games Show and those kinds of things. If there's a full game I want to play...I want to play it. Not watch through it. I like watching playthroughs of crap games like Sonic Boom or whatever just to unwind, but the Giant Bomb guys don't do those, they do good games like Yakuza Zero which....I'd play myself.

I watched both Deadly Premonition endurance runs and I wish they'd do something else like that. Something interesting but not that fun to play. But I understand why they'd rather play something actually fun. Can't begrudge them that.

That's one of the great things about Old Games Show. Do I want to play Buck Bumble? I do not. Do I want to watch Jeff play it for 45 minutes and grumble about it while Dan makes fun of single-console focused review outlets that used to give every game a high score? Yes please. I very much want that. I've watched that segment multiple times.

Though maybe that's not even a premium feature? Regardless, I wish they would do more of that stuff, and stick with a project when they start it. I never expected them to rank EVERY fighting game, but I did expect Ranking of Fighters would come out once every month or so, with understandable gaps around GOTY time. They've done 7 of them in the last 2 years so it's not even one per quarter.

Or if a show is canceled or on Hiatus they could do a better job of telling us. Jeff does those Jar Time videos, he should do a state of the site video every 3 months. Let us know what's realistically coming out so it's not just "well this hasn't happened for awhile so maybe it's canceled or maybe it'll come back? Who knows?"

For a site that is usually very open with its audience it is EXTREMELY opaque about these things.

Nailed it with this.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uhtaree said:
@bigsocrates said:

Nailed it with this.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I pay a subscription to Giant Bomb because I've loved their website, content and the people for years.

I don't even really take advantage of any of the perks... I still just listen to the regular-ass podcast with ads, etc. I just want to support the site because I want it to stick around.

So, I might be the wrong person to answer this.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Redhotchilimist

My issue is that the let's plays are all premium besides the Endurance runs, and they have done only one of those since 2013. Last ER before Shenmue was Chrono trigger with Patrick and Ryan. I feel like when they started with the premium stuff, one thing they talked about was how they wouldn't monetize any of the old features. Fair enough! But then they just stopped doing ERs and instead started doing dozens of behind a paywall-let's plays, and the difference between those features is the release schedule only. I've subscribed most of the time ever since they started with it, so it doesn't affect me much, but I sure felt it when I waited to resub this spring.

What I'd like to see is a better balance of which of those let's plays are free and which ones are premium. I'd love it if Jeff would do a longer let's play again as well. He's their best commentator and he hasn't done one since what, Deadly Premonition in 2011? Especially if he got Vinny on board. Him and Vinny doing that P5 quick look was some of the best quick look content in ages.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

It's not premium, but remember Encyclopedia Bombastica? I enjoyed those.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

On one hand; if I wanted to watch, or rather, have background noise of something while I'm either working on something or playing a game, I can go though who I'm subscribed to on YouTube and watch them for free. But on the other hand; no one on YouTube has this site's sense of showmanship or Vinny's sense of humor, so I'm all for giving $5 when I'm able too keep it going without feeling guilty about using AdBlock.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I enjoy complete play throughs. Some of my favorite premium content a few years ago was stuff like that (e.g. Contradiction, Until Dawn, Life is Strange). I absolutely don't mind that, and wish there was more of that.

Some of the stuff, like the "Hey, I just want to play some Prey" content doesn't really interest me. They are kind of long(er) Quick Looks. It's also weird how some stuff is from the beginning like Prey, while something like NieR Automata was 2-3 hours in. I know there's only like three of these videos, but there isn't a consistent theme where everybody jumps in at the beginning and plays for 90 to 120 minutes. That said, it's probably not worth creating a new show just for those type of streams. The Playdate label is good enough for what they're doing, even if it is just one that I'm not that interested in.

Overall those videos are fine--like Prey has some good Vinny and Abby hijinks--but it's not quite the selling point as all of Life is Strange, or Murder Island, or a MegaDate or UPF has. Premium will always be worth it for me though. It still has the best content on the site.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This site has never been a site for "documentaries" like "noclip" and never will be, frankly that sounds pretty boring and means there would be 10x less content because that shit takes tons of time to organize, film and edit. Not to mention the logistics costs are just out of the question, having all these guys traveling around filming game dev studios is just not realistic compared to the cost of them playing games from their studio. e3 is when you get to see their "connections" and get more insight into the industry, they can't do that all year round. So if you came to Gbomb for documentaries, you came to the wrong place. Never has been about that, never will be.

I didn't see any one requesting documentaries.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BoOzak

I'd rather listen to more Film and 40's or something similar (a podcast where they talk over wrestling PPV's would be great, as i'd never watch it otherwise) than watch them fumble through a game i've already played myself. And as dumb as Dan's "Stealing Sunshine" Mario Party esque nightmare is I think it would be cool if they adopted stupid ideas like that for UPF because I find them quite dull most of the time to be honest.

Premium content is fine as it is but personally I think it could be a lot better. Also I know i'm probably in the minority if the 'Should reviewers finish games?' thread is any indication but I think they should review more games, it doesnt have to be day of release or anything but i'm constantly feeling like the staff are collectively less informed about current releases than I am and I would like to hear/read the staffs final thoughts on a game more often. For example I know they did a spoiler cast for Persona 5 (which was cool) but a review would have been nice, same with Nier Automata. (Hell, I know it isnt Jason's job but I'd love to read his review for God Eater 2)

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, the real draw of the premium membership for me is to watch stuff they did years ago with people and features they no longer have. I like some of the premium videos they do nowadays, but not enough to pay for it on its own. If there was only a monthly fee option or they increased the price, I probably wouldn't get it anymore, but that's just me.

blindx0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like Let's Plays of long, narrative focused games. I think the only one of those they're doing currently is Yakuza 0, which I don't watch. Just like I didn't watch Metal Gear Scanlon before it. Let's Plays of shorter games (like some of the old adventure games they've done), or less narrative focused games (Megaman, Super Mario Sunshine) I'm generally OK with.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

As long as the games they pick are interesting to watch, and fun to see them play, I'm good with what they're doing. But the last thing I want to see is them picking garbage off steam or wherever, playing it for like half an hour and sleeping on the set. Watching people be bored is not fun content. For instance, that Nancy drew game recently was great. Mostly because it was something a member of the staff liked so much. It was fun to see someone have fun. Same thing with the Jackbox games.

I'm gonna say this, and I don't want to be mean, but I find the most interesting premium content these days comes from the east office. I love the guys in the west, but I feel like they need to get it together a little more when it comes to the premium features. And I see promise here and there too. For instance, I really enjoyed when Ben introduced a (TNT) like feature again. It was great to see the community interact with the staff. Basically, a big factor of getting my sub again is seeing the staff have enthusiasm for what they're doing. I find it to be a double edged sword that the most goofy, high energy people are in one office. Dan was a great counterpoint to the others in the west and the same goes for Vinny before him.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WynnDuffy

I'm getting a bit tired of the focus on Let's Play content, there's too much of it from the East for my likings.

If the entire site was like that I would be letting my subscription run out later this year.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always thought the premium content was bad and not worth paying for. I really enjoy their podcasts though and will give them money to ensure they keep happening,.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beast in the East makes my Monday's. So I'm all for it.

mcbisquick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the game for me, but I like when the crew Let's Plays stuff generally. Some games work better for it than others, but I wouldn't say I'm burnt out on it or thinking about letting my premium drop.

I could see wanting more variety, though. I think in some ways the content is at the mercy of what games are out. You got some pretty great Hitman and Mario Maker content because games like those lend themselves to being toyed around with beyond just doing a straight playthrough and recording. But with older games it probably doesn't come together so easily, but it can be done. It probably took a little more creativity after Contra, but I liked how Dan and Vinny went competitive with the Soulcalibur This is the Run. I think more challenge-related and competitive stuff would be nice.

But overall, I'm still happy with my sub.

DukeKaboom89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DukeKaboom89

I think premium can be hit and miss. Upf has never been my favourite stuff but I have seen jeff post updates on the most popular content and upf is always high up there. I don't think they would of done it for so long if it wasn't popular. I generally think that the back catalogue alone is well worth the price. You can watch the entire metal gear scanlon, a great series, phantasmagoria a video I still watch today. It's full of great stuff that you can still enjoy.

I would agree that I think gbeast has found it's footing and I think the west coast is still finding there's, they have had a lot of changes recently so I think once they get back to a steady crew they will get back to normal.

Overall, I have never questioned why I pay for premium content, I have always felt good for supporting the site and I will continue to do so.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's Plays have always been their best content, be it ERs or Random PC Game or whatever.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like 'em; though it helps that they've not yet done one of a game I've played (other than Chrono Trigger way back when). I might get more frustrated if it were games I'd played and watched them miss a lot of stuff. Also, its only GBeast that does that kind of content now that Dan is over there, West Coast doesn't. Its just that Gbeast creates more of the premium content, so there's more of it than there used to be. But I think both coasts are focusing on the kinds of content that play to their strengths; for GBeast its setting up prompts for Vinny and co. to riff on, for the West Coast its creating opportunities for Jeff and Brad to delve into video game history and trivia.

Also, considering the signature piece of GB content is the Persona 4 endurance run, the Let's Play format has always been part of the site's DNA.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I like it, nice to have a weekly video to look forward to.

The other stuff is great, but as others have said, they can be too sporadic with certain features.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm unlikely to ever be premium since I'm like the only forum poster in existence that isn't and of course you can get similar or better versions of the same content everywhere else. The exceptions are stuff like Mario Party and the Fortune Street TNT (which used to be free), if they did a bunch of stuff in that vein then I would be more interested. Of course I might eventually win a box office sweepstakes but @rorie almost never does them anymore.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wish there was edited content, but I'm fine with how things are. You cant really blame them, because it requires so much work for little pay off (or the perception of it).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's Plays just seem sort of lazy and I wish Ranking of Fighters was a more regular thing. Have to fill up that white board!

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corwag said:
@dr_insane said:

This site has never been a site for "documentaries" like "noclip" and never will be, frankly that sounds pretty boring and means there would be 10x less content because that shit takes tons of time to organize, film and edit. Not to mention the logistics costs are just out of the question, having all these guys traveling around filming game dev studios is just not realistic compared to the cost of them playing games from their studio. e3 is when you get to see their "connections" and get more insight into the industry, they can't do that all year round. So if you came to Gbomb for documentaries, you came to the wrong place. Never has been about that, never will be.

I didn't see any one requesting documentaries.

"personally I would like to see more videos that take advantage of the crew's industry experience and connections like noclips documentaries." I mean that's literally the last line of his post, I'm not sure how else to read into that without further context of what exactly he wants, so I replied to what was said, noclip documentaries are documentaries.

My bad, my dude. I guess I missed that one.

PassiveSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dezztroy said:

Let's Plays have always been their best content, be it ERs or Random PC Game or whatever.

Agreed, I'd like to see more of it actually.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By katpottz

@dr_insane: I should probably clarify that I was referencing noclip's documentaries in it's production approach rather than it's product. (sorry I kinda skimmed over that.) I would like gb to be making videos that only they can make with their shared experience and production talent and to me noclip's videos are a good example of a crew operating that way.

(EDIT: I also think that let's plays on the site are not inherently bad as I have liked series like vinnyvania and blue bombin in the past but I feel there is an over saturation right now for me personally.)

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@clagnaught said:

I enjoy complete play throughs. Some of my favorite premium content a few years ago was stuff like that (e.g. Contradiction, Until Dawn, Life is Strange). I absolutely don't mind that, and wish there was more of that.

Some of the stuff, like the "Hey, I just want to play some Prey" content doesn't really interest me. They are kind of long(er) Quick Looks. It's also weird how some stuff is from the beginning like Prey, while something like NieR Automata was 2-3 hours in. I know there's only like three of these videos, but there isn't a consistent theme where everybody jumps in at the beginning and plays for 90 to 120 minutes. That said, it's probably not worth creating a new show just for those type of streams. The Playdate label is good enough for what they're doing, even if it is just one that I'm not that interested in.

Overall those videos are fine--like Prey has some good Vinny and Abby hijinks--but it's not quite the selling point as all of Life is Strange, or Murder Island, or a MegaDate or UPF has. Premium will always be worth it for me though. It still has the best content on the site.

Agree with your post. I was going to mention that about videos that are like a tiny bit of a game never do much for me. I also don't enjoy the B-Game show, which is that plus them talking about what a B game is for seriously an hour.

vizard1301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By vizard1301

I don't care what they play as long as its funny.

I don't even watch quicklooks anymore all i love are the long streams with them talking shit and playing games.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've enjoyed most of Yakuza and LiS, as well as Until Dawn LPs, but I would like it more if they dug up some PS1&2/Xbox/64&GC era games for those. Or more olde pc-games.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want more Ranking of Fighters and Game Tapes but i think those are free videos.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all for it and would honestly be fine if GBW killed UPF and did something else instead. It hasn't been watchable in some time. Would love to see them play through some games or start doing more Ranking of fighters/old games show

Welding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The early GBEast Let's Plays; Castlevania and Kerbal, were some of my favorite content on the site.
I've been visiting the site from the start, but I really became a fan when the Persona 4 Endurance Run helped me through a shitty job.

I've always liked, and will continue to like, their Let's Play Content.
I'm a huge fan of the Yakuza series and can't wait to see the Beast Boys get through them all.

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If anything I could stand to have more lets play type content, especially from the west coast guys, it feels like they haven't done a playthrough in forever. Lets play are now and have always been the main draw of premium outside of supporting this fine website.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine with the content. If you were to twist my arm I'd say that a scheduled output of Game Tapes, RoF, and Demo Derby would be nice.

Looking forward to Friday is nice because of Playdate and UPF and it'd be great to have that anticipation for their other content. "Oh, it the 15th. Time for Demo Derby. Can't wait for the end of the month when they do another Game Tapes! Etc.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just gonna say, I don't like horror games (or even slightly horror like games. Yet watching Vinny and Abby play prey made me laugh so hard that I couldn't even be scared. A+ in my book.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm one of those people that subs because I love the site, and want it to continue to exist. Saying that though, I enjoy almost all of their content in some form. So I feel like I'm always getting more than enough value.

I wonder how many people here are familiar with how many video game sites and the personalities attached aren't around anymore, because they weren't successful. I miss most of them, and if subscribing to Giant Bomb keeps that from happening, then they are welcome to my hard earned money.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I pay premium to have ad-less podcasts and to support it. The video content is a bonus, so I am not really as invested in it's direction.

• Something like 'Steal My Sunshine' I can get behind, as it adds a huge amount to the series beyond just watching them play. I can see me watching the entire series.
  • Demo Derby is great as it is revisiting the games of my youth, while adding a load of info I had no idea about.
  • UPF is stale as hell at this point. Just a group of tired guys playing mostly poor games. I think I'd enjoy just the guys getting together to play a single game for the two hours, games they enjoyed from previous gen games. Get some SP, Couch MP, all that jazz, and then vote to see if they feel it holds up. I used to love the lowkey vibe to wake me up on a Saturday morning, but it just doesn't have any fun in it anymore.
  • Murder Island may be the best content the site has ever put out. I haven't played the game, but their spicy runs are a joy to behold.

But really, I have no qualms overall about it. If stuff is good, thats great, but if there is a lull I am not too bothered. The 5 hours a week I get from podcasts, is worth the £30 a year.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I think it's fine. I don't watch the Yakuza videos (or MGS when it was on) because those games just don't interest me - but I'm happy enough to pay $5 to support the amount of content I enjoy per month.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I generally only watch the first 2 episodes of the full playthrough videos. UPF hasn't been good in a while. I pay for premium to support the site as a whole because I'm not willing to look at ads. I'd like more unique video ideas, but I'm not going to unsubscribe if I don't get that.

Kerbal was one of my favorite things that's ever been done on the site. I don't recall if that was Premium-only.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always been a sucker for the lets play video's on this site, its produced some of the funniest content. The Yakuza series is great for instance. So I hope they continue with this. The only complaint I have is that they don't seem to have a regular schedule for a lot of stuff, like ranking of fighters. I think the rate of fighting game releases is higher than the rate of new episodes put out, so the important science experiment will never be complete.

KittenTactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really hit and miss, it greatly depends on your personal interest in the game at hand. As someone who doesn't care about Yakuza or Shenmue, GBEast's output has been greatly diminished in my eyes for almost a year.