What device or object in you home has broken during you enfored social distancing vigal

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

This is probably not a great time for something in your home to break; so, of course since this is the worst possible time, ol' Murphy, has your back to teach you how good you had it.

For me it was my wireless router. About six days into being sent home from works, my very old Cisco wi-fi router went tits-up. Thankfully my cable modem has a few Ethernet ports, so I can run wires to my workstation to get all the "work from home" accomplished. Nevertheless, it still a pain in the ass. (I'm a little embarrassed to admit my router was from 2011, with its last updates to firmware in 2012.) Rather than buy a new one, I have my sister sending one of her used wifi routers.

Anyone else have a device they needed, break these past two weeks? Any delayed maintenance you wish you had not delayed?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

I had the iPhone 7 hardware malfunction where the receiver or whatever essentially disconnects from the motherboard, in the process disabling voice commands, not sending or receiving data during voice calls (I can pick up the phone, but it will be completely silent and the caller/person I call can't hear me) and also not sending sound out to headphones when plugged in (thankfully, the phone can still charge and I can make calls to other iPhones via iMessage on my desktop in a pinch).

Four days later, my restaurant closed its dining room and laid off everyone but myself and salaried kitchen to run delivery/carryout. So I'm gonna be using this not-phone for quite a while I guess!

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fold-out door to my closet came completely off and the axel holding it in place is broken. Got a notice on my door that most maintenence is going to be put off for now so it will have to stay broken.

mikachops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mikachops

2 days ago, I decided to start teaching myself guitar again. 2 strings instantly broke with no replacements in the house.

Now everything but essential services have been instructed to close for the next few weeks lol.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a sink that's not draining as quickly as it used to. I'm pouring hot water down it and it seems to be bringing up some hair and gunk. Also, I'm not sure I have any spare light bulbs for the front room.

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a dripping sound in my bedroom at night and I can't find it, it might be in the flat above me and building maintenance are not on call unless its an emergency.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My toilet...

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Not super-important but my printer ran out of ink.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: Tried throwing bleach down there?

My kitchen sink tap has a very slight leak from the part where it turns when the hot water is running through it.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I was forced to move out of my school housing of three years over the weekend due to the virus. The night before leaving, my roommates and I spent a few final hours drinking and playing games. Midway through the evening, the bulb on the projector we had been using to play games for the past three years popped. Felt like poetry or something.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shindig

@jesus_phish: I'm saving my bleach for the toilet until it comes back in stock. In the meantime, I've been cleaning my carpet. I've messed that up as well. There's been a spillage and you're not supposed to pour that stuff direct on to carpet. I'm hoping it dries itself out.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By frytup

One of the electrical circuits in my apartment died. Naturally, it's the one my TV and consoles are on. This happened a couple of years ago and required (as I recall) replacing a burned out connection in one of the outlets? Dunno, I ain't no electrician. It definitely wasn't as simple as resetting the breaker.

Who the hell knows how long it will be before the landlord can get someone to look at it under the circumstances, but I'm running extension cords and shuffling things around so I can power the stuff that's keeping me sane. Fun times.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By hermes

@monkeyking1969 said:

@hermes said:

My toilet...

Oh no....

Just to clarify, because it is not as problematic as it sounds. The flapper of my toilet is loose, so it was constantly dropping water in a slow but steady pace. So, until the situation gets resolved enough that someone capable will see it, my workaround was to tie the float ball to the ceiling of the toilet so that it won't fill up when I don't want it to. Uncomfortable to have to take into account, but not the end of the world.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Our A/C stopped working right as the weather started warming up last weekend, so we had about two days that were rather uncomfortable. Thankfully that's resolved now.