What do the successes and failures of Avengers /Guardians inform Wonder Woman, S-Quad, and Wolverine games?

Avatar image for sometingbanuble
sometingbanuble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

So I’m probably going to be strictly replays and movie/established franchise tie ins for my games for the next couple of months. Though ways off I think Wonder Woman, suicide squad, and wolverine…even Gotham knights could be great if the follow the guardians formula. I’m more worried especially for suicide squad and Gotham knights that they will lean into the avengers formula. Thoughts.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

I don't really think the Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy games will inform much of anything on the other games you mentioned. Avengers is certainly a cautionary tale, but I doubt any of these other projects changed direction based on it.

Wolverine, Suicide Squad, Gotham Knights, and Wonder Woman are all from studios that already have a history of doing big licensed games, and I expect their new projects to largely be an evolution of what they've done previously.

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Daveydave

I think the Avengers game had problems throughout its development. I still believe it was originally a single player game that was retooled for a GAAS. I think if done right an Avengers GAAS could be great.

For the upcoming superhero games I agree with Chaser, I think they are in good hands and will be an evolution on what the devs do best.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Game developers and publishers are slow to change plans even when confronted with failures they COULD learn from.

For better super hero games to show up; someone, somewhere will have to make a new VERY GOOD super hero game. Its a Catch-22 - Big licsnces need big payoffs. Because in teh investors mind ist not good eough to make soem money...it has to be ALL the money. Big payoffs are considered games that will milk consumers for as many nickles & dimes as seems possible. That means the current idea that all games have to be epic third-person muliplayer games with ton of DLC will be what publhser will demand be made - even if such games not work 99% of the time. Publishers will keep asking for that to be made until something else is SHOWN to be wildly profitable another way.

Avatar image for sometingbanuble
sometingbanuble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

@monkeyking1969: true. I just want more guardian type games. Some aptly described it as a cartoon season with multiple episodes. It’s perfect. I’m just worried that for square it registered as a failure like the way tomb Raiders are marked as a failure and those games are damn near perfect for me and I should probably be replaying them the way people go back to old Nintendo games. I don’t because they are so good that they are in my back pocket for that moment in life where there is nothing to do. Aka as never.

I’m a little less fearful about Gotham knights because I just watched some gameplay footage. I was worried it was another outriders.

Wolverine being an exclusive means they might take the most non-profit driven risk. Which excites me most. But I’m worried I’m going to have to use the touch pad like an Emory Board. I’m not a fan of PS4/PS5 controller gimmicks which is why I’ve stayed away and why I won’t likely get a ps5