What do you want to see in future open world games?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Open world games have been around for a long time now they have improved over the years but I still feel they are lacking in some areas. What do you feel could add for a better open world experience? here is what I like to see.

• More interiors I'm always disappointed when I see a row of stores that I can't enter I don't expect to enter everyone in the game but I feel this is lacking.
  • Seasons I know I seen people wanting this in open world games for ages I love to see it for realism.
  • RPG elements I would like to generally buy stuff for characters home or be able create your own type of house but not the way they do it in Fallout 4.
  • No more NY or Cali it's been done to death.
  • VR support I love exploring open world games in VR it would just make it so much more immersive.

This is just a small list what do you want to see?

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No more grid plans in city games. Grids are a boring way to design an open world. America is all grids. Take these city games to other countries, please. Streets in most European cities have no rhyme or reason.

Stop trying to tell your linear stories with lots of cutscenes and mission markers in an open world. I want minimalist stories with more options for where to go. If I don't feel like tackling an area, I should be able to fulfill a main task somewhere else first.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd feel a decent place to start would to take a quality not quantity approach to side content. Give me side missions but I'll take five or six well designed mission types versus ten to fifthteen mediocre or bad ones. Making collectibles worth more then just achievement points/trophies would also be a good idea if you must have them. Maybe tie it into some type of mission that has an overarching narrative or it actually gives you something worth a damn, or even leads you to cool areas the designers made they want you to see and isn't simply behind some cruddy nondescript building.

While we're at it, for the love of god stop making me follow people by car/foot/plane/sweet hoverboard while staying behind just "enough" to avoid a suspicion/spook meter or whatever you call it.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Have a more meaningful impact on the world. I want to murder a guy and see police investigations happening the next morning. I want to see TV reporters talking about the buildings i bombed.

I want to walk into a bar and have the guy that i helped out in a barfight buy me a drink or take me to a football match. I want to get my cousin Lenny a job as a pizza courier and see him expand his pizza empire later on in the game.

I still feel like open world games have been static sandboxes for quite a while now. It's time to expand on it.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As many superhero/gamey abilities as possible, compared to realism. I never gave a shit about the open world crime games, but I absolutely love open world action-RPGs, Just Cause 2, Saints Row 3 and 4, that kind of thing. When that part is fun, it doesn't matter that much to me if you can't enter a house or if every second mission is the same as the last one. But an important second part of this: You should be allowed to finish missions in a variety of ways, like Just Cause 2 or MGS V. None of this "taking away your superpowers in story missions" bullshit SR4 pulled. Just Cause 2 style, I want to be able to enter a mission where a guy is running away and will be gone in 15 seconds by either using the sniping rifle conveniently placed before me... OR just hookshot down to where he is and beat him up instead because I suck at aiming but I'm good at hookshotting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have a more meaningful impact on the world. I want to murder a guy and see police investigations happening the next morning. I want to see TV reporters talking about the buildings i bombed.

I want to walk into a bar and have the guy that i helped out in a barfight buy me a drink or take me to a football match. I want to get my cousin Lenny a job as a pizza courier and see him expand his pizza empire later on in the game.

I still feel like open world games have been static sandboxes for quite a while now. It's time to expand on it.

I like this idea it's all in the details.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Just a Red Faction: Guerilla 2, because the open-world design of that game distilled everything to maximum fun.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Interiors, better sense of scale, areas crafted with interesting gameplay in mind (more engaging shootouts or what have you, wherever you happen to be), better enemy AI, more robust/polished movement/controls.

Wonloong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like buying properties in GTA: VC and Assassin's Creed 2. I like it even more if I can spend upgrades to increase their values/whatever mechanics they have in place that justifies the upgrading processes.

I'd love it even more if I can visit those places and see the upgrades when I enter the building; have them populated with furnitures or people using the spaces.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I'd like to see more focus on density over size.

Level design seems to go out the window w/ open world games. I think a scale that allows designers to at least consider it would be a good thing. It would help with the repetitive mission design.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm still waiting for someone to steal the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor and run with it.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• More interiors
  • No collectibles
  • An evolving open world
  • More player impact
  • More freedom in how a mission is completed (it's an open world let me be creative).
  • Very little repeatable side content because it is nearly always bad.
  • Locations that feel like real places (the witcher is really good at this, Elder Scrolls/Fallout is terrible at this).
Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I want open world games with driving to do with cars the thing that The Witcher did with horses where the horse automatically avoids trees. Do this with cars and building edges. Nothing ruins immersion for me more when driving through a GTA mission at high speeds and I hit an edge and all my momentum is lost and I have to back up to get back on track. I want to feel like I'm in a badass movie and not like I'm playing with crash test dummies.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I'd feel a decent place to start would to take a quality not quantity approach to side content. Give me side missions but I'll take five or six well designed mission types versus ten to fifthteen mediocre or bad ones. Making collectibles worth more then just achievement points/trophies would also be a good idea if you must have them. Maybe tie it into some type of mission that has an overarching narrative or it actually gives you something worth a damn, or even leads you to cool areas the designers made they want you to see and isn't simply behind some cruddy nondescript building.

While we're at it, for the love of god stop making me follow people by car/foot/plane/sweet hoverboard while staying behind just "enough" to avoid a suspicion/spook meter or whatever you call it.

One thing I always enjoyed about the design of the PS2 GTA games was how collectibles and side missions fed into weapon and costume unlocks for your character. I didn't enjoy how damn hidden some of those collectibles were but it didn't take an absurd amount to get most of the stuff you wanted and it helped incentivize you to explore the maps and see just how much stuff and space Rockstar were able to cram on those discs. I feel like IV and V didn't have much of that, GTA V had some interesting (or at least unique in premise) side quests but was there much payoff to any of them besides cutscenes? Oddly I can't recall...

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I hope we'll figure out how to make an open-world game that doesn't let you murder like a million people/animals every 2 minutes. Another thing I've always wanted to see is more proper uses for umbrellas.

I have one more super specific open-world game I want to see: Shadow of Mordor but it's a dating sim with handsome boys instead of orcs.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting: Like, you date a boy so hard it opens up a room for the one under him to come up and get his position in the Handsome ranking?

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@csl316: You know, I've always loved the idea of Red Faction Guerilla, but the way they limited your loadout to 4 weapons has always been my prime example of a dev sucking potential fun out of a game for no good reason. There were lots of goofy, fun guns in that game, but I always felt like I needed the hammer, an assault rifle and the charges when going into a mission. That leaves you with one slot for a silly super weapon.

I want open world games to encourage experimentation with the weapons they've made available.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I'm still waiting for the "It's like a Persona game, except you are a college student living on campus, and your town hub is actually the college campus and nearby downtown area" subgenre to explode into being any day now.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lost_Remnant

@nodima: You know, you're right. I remember going after those hidden packages in GTA3 because of the weapons it would leave at your safe house. I made a point of it in new playthrough's cause it was always handy to have an assault rifle whenever I wanted and not paying for it. I honestly couldn't tell you much about IV's collectibles cause I hated getting those pigeons. I remember getting all the spaceship parts and letter scraps in V because exploring that environment was fun and in the case of the letter scraps had a cool story hook once you got them all.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The mood killer for me is usually the pedestrian A.I.

People just standing around or walking aimlessly, it's been improved on in some games but it's always completely unbelievable and takes away a lot from the immersion of a game. So I'd like to see something a long the lines of procedurally generated A.I. behavior, if that would be possible, certainly something that is more dynamic and natural than the current state of things, man Deus Ex: MD is a real bummer because of that.

Also less icons indicating repetitive busy work to fill out an otherwise shallow game...ubisoft... concentrate on the world being interesting, not fill in a quota of 1,000 pointless side quests and collectables.

MarvinPontiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see one more integrated with the gameplay as opposed to being the backdrop for the gameplay. I'd like to be tasked with a simple, completely open objective like "find and kill X", and there are no map markers or "smart vision" and you go out into the world and try to find and kill X, but the game gives you the tools to locate him slowly over time. Think driving to an airport, buying a ticket and flying somewhere else, asking questions, making phone calls to hotels from a phone booth, trying to pick up a trail. There's a needle in a haystack element to an open world where anyone can hide, but you never really see that tied into the game itself. Hitman is a very small scale, and kind of absurd version of what I'm looking for. It's not as organic as I'd like (repeating paths, a lot of obvious killy objects to interact with, etc).

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

No collectibles

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@berniesbc: I'm guessing they limited slots to keep you from being overpowered, but Saints Row IV made you overpowered with a bunch of options while maintaining the fun.

So, just another thing they could have explored in Guerilla 2!

frump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Less open worlds in general unless it's really core to the design and style of the game. You can have expansive game environments without being an open world of mostly pointless empty space. Tons of games prior to last generation managed it. It's become a trendy thing to be open world even if it's not really a critical part of the game's philosophy and design.

I'd like to see more environmental variation as well. Like MGSV where you have multiple big maps in different areas of the world, that aren't necessarily continuous. San Andreas did a good job too and even crazier, it was continuous.

What I'd really love to see is more games return to the old JRPG style overworld map. Free exploration on a planet scale but exaggerated. Then you zoom in to the 1:1 scale environments.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

More Variety in setting (not everything needs to be in the US or some germanic fantasy world) and greater depth/interactivity than breadth.

I don't need a world the size of skyrim, gimme something the size of Hong Kong in Sleeping Dogs or smaller even. Just give me more organic things to do (it's amazing how much something simple like just being able to grab ppl in Sleeping Dogs and Dragon's dogma adds to the experience, doesn't need to be stuff like that that's violent just things you can do. e.g. Being able to gift stuff to any NPC in Dragon's dogma), and create the world with interiors of buildings and such like it would exist in the real world.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting: @redhotchilimist: Or it could be a table of ' handsome bachelors' So when you finally date someone, a new eligible bachelor shows up. Now you have to decide whether you stick with your guy, or cheat on him with the guy that took over his spot. Now that's some paragon / renegade stuff, Mass Effect!

DukeMcFrenzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jec03: Bully covers most those bases

moon_frog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a lot of people are gonna hate this but what I really want to see is developers learn from MGSV. make an open world that serves your mission design and not one that is just there as an ubisoft collectathon with dots all over the map. Even witcher 3, which had a pretty great open world, was guilty of this. MGSV was barebones, yes but not only did the game perform beautifully on all modern systems, the missions actually took advantage of the open world to do something fresh and interesting. no more 'game over' screen after losing a tail, almost no 'you have left the mission area' warnings. All mission assets exist in the world and all scripted events are occurring simultaneously, allowing for incredible flexibility when it comes to playing with your toys and approaching your objectives. That first mission was a revelation. 'here's your objective, figure it out however you like' it was amazing.