• 86 results
projectino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By projectino

I'm talking about days where we get very little content added to the site. I can kind of see Patrick doing work on those sort of days, but what does Jeff, Ryan and Brad do? On these days we get the random trailer post and MAYBE a news article coming from Patrick, but nothing from the others. I'm not trying to complain or anything of that nature, i've just always been slightly interested.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Vexxan

They make the content, perhaps? I doubt Quick Looks or other video features are shot and released on the same day but I could be wrong.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I seem to remember Brad once saying that 90% of his day is spent sending/answering emails. After that it's recording content, playing games for review, and writing reviews.

Also, don't underestimate how long those videos take to make. For a 40 minute Quick Look they are probably recording for a good 3 hours, and editing for maybe twice that time.

EDIT: Due to the ridiculous amount of indignant replies I got for this seemingly trivial topic, I should clarify: This was a vague, random guess. I appreciate that for most of the videos on the site the time will be a lot less than this.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By laserbolts

@Sweep: Really? Damn they do some amazing editing then because it seems like it's all in one shot when you watch it.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By kindgineer

@Sweep said:

I seem to remember Brad once saying that 90% of his day is spent sending/answering emails. After that it's recording content, playing games for review, and writing reviews.

Also, don't underestimate how long those videos take to make. For a 40 minute Quick Look they are probably recording for a good 3 hours, and editing for maybe twice that time.

Pretty much this. You see this mentality with the Youtube crowd a lot, where they think video's spawn out of nowhere or everyone has the time to do live streams 24/7. I'm sure they are cooking things up and these things take time. It's a professional site, they want professional material. Even if some of that professional material is dudes playing a card game on TV and for some reason we want to watch that.

Which I do.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShaggE

It usually involves tricycles, alcohol, ill-fitting derby hats, and dubstep.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

They just sit there eating, drinking, and talking about games and other stuff until there's a game to play. Just kidding.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

My guess would be making that content. I doubt every piece of content is made from start to finish and uploaded on the same day.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Dagbiker

@Sweep said:

If it takes 6 hours to edit that, then they need a new editor. Because I could cut that up in about an hour.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Drink Fizzies.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Dagbiker said:

@Sweep said:

If it takes 6 hours to edit that, then they need a new editor. Because I could cut that up in about an hour.

...Are you challenging Vinny? Because that will not end well for you.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mnzy

I know Jeff does alot of wiki work. Also, I imagine that Quick Looks and features they do need quite some paper work. And they gotta play some games.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By InternetCrab

Writing reviews, news, playing games for quicklooks (making content).

I would also like to see the GB staff on their vacation.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dagbiker

@Sweep said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Sweep said:

No, I actually think that it takes Vinny probably 20 minuets by now to edit those videos down.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Justin258

@Sweep said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Sweep said:

I'm not challenging Vinny, but what could possible take so long? Record it, make sure everything looks and works right, upload it and then you're done. At least, that's how I always thought the process worked. Apparently there's something I don't understand.

On-topic: Probably some mundane things. Answer e-mails, talk, grab coffee, go have a wank, and maybe play some video games.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Spoonman671

Gang bang.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By flasaltine

@Sweep: It doesn't take 3 hours to record a 40 minute quick look.

crimsonclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By crimsonclown

@Sweep: Why would they play for so long when they know it's going to get cut down? Very rarely are there cuts in quick looks, even when they have to go back to the dash or load into a new level to show off a different part of the game, there usually isn't a transition. I always got the impression that what we see is pretty much what they record, with a bit of fat trimmed at the beginning and end. And if they did have that much footage, I'd imagine we wouldn't get those rare train-wreck quick looks like Lego Batman 2.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@Sweep said:

I thought quick looks were uncut. Otherwise why do so many of them have 10-30 minutes of aimless fumbling?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dagbiker

I Imagin a lot of their day is

1. 1% Planing the day
  2. 15% Playing games,
  3. 15% Writing,
  4. 10% Dicking Around,
  5. 10% Meatings,
  6. 49% Anwesering Emails and Administration

But this is just me guessing bassed on what I see in the ILM's

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

What they do every day, plan to take over the world!

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BaneFireLord

Tequila shots.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jimbo
@ck1nd said:

It's a professional site, they want professional material.

Riiiight....
kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kindgineer

@Jimbo said:

@ck1nd said:

Riiiight....

Lol, professionalism has nothing to do with suits, ties, and news-worthy content :) It just means you do something for a living, it's your profession.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By DeF

@Dagbiker said:

10% Meatings,

so ... lunch? :)

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dagbiker

@DeF said:

@Dagbiker said:

10% Meatings,

so ... lunch? :)

I was put lunch with Dicking Around.

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By GJSmitty

@believer258 said:

@Sweep said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Sweep said:

I'm not challenging Vinny, but what could possible take so long? Record it, make sure everything looks and works right, upload it and then you're done. At least, that's how I always thought the process worked. Apparently there's something I don't understand.

You have to render videos when you are done editing them. This takes a long time. I know for me it takes sometimes over an hour to render a 10 minute video, which would mean a 40 minute video would take 4 hours or more. But they probably have better hardware, so it will take slightly less time, but it is still something that adds to the time.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ch3burashka

Practice their juggling skills. They're up to flaming bowling pins now.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dagbiker

@GJSmitty said:

@believer258 said:

@Sweep said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Sweep said:

You have to render videos when you are done editing them. This takes a long time. I know for me it takes sometimes over an hour to render a 10 minute video, which would mean a 40 minute video would take 4 hours or more. But they probably have better hardware, so it will take slightly less time, but it is still something that adds to the time.

You are partially correct, If you add effects to the video you must render it out. But most of the Quick looks do not have effects on them. So the only rendering they are doing are the fades, if any. Which take seconds.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Dagbiker said:

@GJSmitty said:

@believer258 said:

@Sweep said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Sweep said:

You are partially correct, If you add effects to the video you must render it out. But most of the Quick looks do not have effects on them. So the only rendering they are doing are the fades, if any. Which take seconds.

At this point I should probably point out that I'm just guessing. It's not like I'm sitting there with a stopwatch :|

And, obviously, some videos are going to take longer to edit than others. The E3 videos, for example, would take a lot longer than a 30 minute recording of Jeff running round the office with an iPhone camera.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By OneManX

@GJSmitty said:

@believer258 said:

@Sweep said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Sweep said:

Rendering/uploading is basically the bulk of the time when doing videos. One Youtube video can take about an hour, and you get into longer vids, longer rendering times, and upload times, then upload it to the site, then process. Could take awhile. I'm sure they have the editing down to science, but the other is just things you can't speed up.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jimbo
@ck1nd said:

@Jimbo said:

@ck1nd said:

Riiiight....

Lol, professionalism has nothing to do with suits, ties, and news-worthy content :) It just means you do something for a living, it's your profession.

That's how you're using it in the first instance, not in the second instance.
rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By rachelepithet

Theyre sent on journeys through time to preserve old, forgotten video games of yesteryear.

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GJSmitty

@Dagbiker said:

@GJSmitty said:

@believer258 said:

@Sweep said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Sweep said:

But don't they have to render any footage that they record? They add that "Quick Look" intro at the beginning of each video, which then requires the entirety of the footage to be rendered out into one video, which, no matter what effects are added, will take awhile.

Bait003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bait003

making runs for the taco truck (takes longer now...no interns)

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AuthenticM

@Sweep said:

I recall Vinny saying that he loved Quicklooks because they didn't require any editing at all. He then singled out video reviews as very time-consuming precisely because of editing, which is why we don't see them often.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By redcream

We need a response from one of the staff to get a decent answer.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Sweep said:

Are you saying they have 5 different takes for a quick look? I think your wrong. This site really doesn't have enough news, I wish they did then I would be able to stop visiting Kotaku.com completely.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By face15

@Dagbiker said:

1. 10% Meatings

Nothing like a good old fashioned Meating. Haha.

On topic though I think there is very rarely a day where there's not much content. Mondays and Tuesdays are often a bit dry but that's just cause they aren't making content on the weekend so nothing goes up Monday and they are recording the Bombcast on Monday so nothing goes up on Tuesday but that. Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays are then usually pretty full of content.

When they do get time when they're not recording video or writing I imagine they are probably playing games for review, responding to emails, making plans and browsing the web for any news.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By nail1080

@AuthenticM said:

@Sweep said:

I recall Vinny saying that he loved Quicklooks because they didn't require any editing at all. He then singled out video reviews as very time-consuming precisely because of editing, which is why we don't see them often.

this, the mod is so very wrong

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#41  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Bourbon_Warrior: Just use Polygon, they certainly have higher quality news than Kotaku and also write more than GB.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Hizang

Drinking.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TwoLines

@Dagbiker said:

1. 1% Planing the day
  2. 15% Playing games,
  3. 15% Writing,
  4. 10% Dicking Around,
  5. 10% Meatings,

Mmmmm... Meatings... *drools*

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cloudenvy

I could really go for a meating...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MikkaQ

Write reviews, editorials and play video games?

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cookiemonster

The answer you want lies in the "GiantBomb fan fic".

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Turambar
@Sweep said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Sweep said:

Vinny specifically said he loves quicklooks because he doesn't need to edit it.  Just turn on the camera and go.
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By csl316

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Sweep said:

I thought quick looks were uncut. Otherwise why do so many of them have 10-30 minutes of aimless fumbling?

My thoughts exactly.

And when people talk about rendering, you don't have to sit there and do nothing for an hour while it goes (unless it fails for some reason). I'm assuming as it renders, they're probably doing other stuff in between.

People that are curious about editing might want to check out a video Screened did back in the day. It was about Joey's editing process, which was actually way more time consuming than a Quick Look. Here's Editing with Joey. And here's something that would be the equivalent of a video review or something.

Edit: Ok, Joey actually goes into what he can do while rendering in video #2.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Cloudenvy said:

I could really go for a meating...

All I had today is rice pudding and this "meating" thing really made me want some meat.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Dagbiker said:

1. 1% Planing the day
  2. 15% Playing games,
  3. 15% Writing,
  4. 10% Dicking Around,
  5. 10% Meatings,

What does a Meating constitute? And Planing sounds like a fun time.