What Era of History do you want in Video Games more?

• 59 results
shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 24

Title kind of says it all. What period of history do you think should be shown in video games more often and would make for a good, interesting story? Note that this does not have to pertain to Assassin's Creed specifically, though it could. But really just any kind of historical time period that you think would be a good place to set a video game (AC or otherwise) that has rarely if ever been shown.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

When I'm super rich and I own my own game studio, I'm making an adventure game about 1910s and 20s Ireland.

lolasaurusrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I love games that are set in Ancient Rome, especially action games.

I really loved Shadow of Rome on the PS2, and god help me, I even liked Ryse: Son of Rome.

I'd love for someone to make an open world RPG set in Ancient Rome. Or maybe an MMO. There was one called Gods and Heroes, but it was before released and closed a few years ago, which was before I was into video games.

I don't think an AC game would work in this time period, but I'd love to see Ubisoft try it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I don't have anything specific, but I'd love to see more games set in more diverse historic periods of time. The new unity game is super interesting to me, because I don't know anything about the time period really. Something so interactive and fleshed out like that gives me a jumping off point to want to learn. It peaked my interest to go out and study more beyond the game itself. Other Ac games have had that effect on me in the past (Specifically the renascence Italy stuff) and I'd love to see other developers follow suit.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Three Kingdoms, Sengoku period in Japan, Napoleonic Age.

And more pirates I suppose.

Really we just need more Darkest of Days.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Caveman days. I don't think there are enough games set in pre-history. Fightin' man-eating birds, sabertooth tigers and giant cave bears or running from the same.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has there ever been a game with a Gangs of New York type setting? As in something that took place in New York while that was happening. I've wanted that for years.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

The great depression. I was interested in Faith and a .45 before that got cancelled and there isn't really anything taking place in that space.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Maybe Prohibition. With the Nemesis system. Taking down other bootleggers to make your empire more powerful, but then someone may come and take out your guys too. Like, you had to recruit and get actual distillers, bodyguards, sellers, night club owners, etc. And at any point, they could be a traitor for some other bootleg empire.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything outside the norm really. Especially some RPGs outside of the usual Japanese or Medieval inspired settings. Or space. If you take some of the examples brought up here, like pirates or ancient Rome or even prohibition period America and throw a good RPG around it and I'd be all over that shit.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Literally anything but the Renaissance or the Crusades? Is that too much to ask?

Or how about this: no historical settings in AAA games. They inevitably bone it up and replace it with xtreme made-for-TV history.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

@mbradley1992 said:

Maybe Prohibition. With the Nemesis system. Taking down other bootleggers to make your empire more powerful, but then someone may come and take out your guys too. Like, you had to recruit and get actual distillers, bodyguards, sellers, night club owners, etc. And at any point, they could be a traitor for some other bootleg empire.

This is my favorite one so far. Nice Avatar by the way.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was an Untouchables game but can't remember how that played. Also, Cold War. Mainly for the espionage and diplomacy.

Torbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to see a game set in Great Britain immediately after the Roman Empire left.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Pre-history.

Early Mesoamerica.

Early Africa.

The 1600s.

The 1920s.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see more ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, and Mesoamerica

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Three Kingdoms, Sengoku period in Japan, Napoleonic Age.

Yup. Though I'd also be up for more American Revolution/Civil War games so long as they were neither FPS games or Assassin's Creed.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@hailinel: Civil War would work too, just if you're going to pick a period from the musket/line infantry days it'd have to be Napoleonic. Obviously the only things that would work really well are either strategy games or Cavalry as the main action component (play as J.E.B. Stuart or whomever). Kessen 3's the only game I can think of with a good cavalry type of gameplay/perspective.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shortbreadtom

A Splinter Cell like stealth game set in the Cold War in a hyper stylised Soviet Union

Aztecs and the Spanish conquistadors would be cool

I don't think we have enough games set in ancient Egypt

The downfall of the British empire in the African colonies

The 60s

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Mortuss_Zero

Civil War could be interesting, though I think in these politically touchy days it's just asking for trouble no matter how it's handled.

I'd like to see a good Viking game based on the group that made their way to the America's. From either the Viking, Native American or both sides.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Aztecs trying to survive Cortez' conquest.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#22 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I'd buy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always been attracted to the Middle East. There's so much wonderful history and lore, it's a shame that more games don't delve into it!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#24  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Aztecs trying to survive Cortez' conquest.

Have you ever played Expeditions: Conquistador? It's sort of that game, in that instead of being all evil imperialist you can totally team up with the natives and rewrite history (which I believe goes as far as fighting Cortez at the end, though I never got past the first few hours). It's an interesting game, if not entirely great.

Wouldn't mind more games using the first World War as a setting (though I understand entirely why that war is hard to adapt into a video game).

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bakumatsu

I'm a sucker for a 19th century victorian ambient so maybe that's a option? I know we'll have order 1866 but I was thinking more of a rpg game set on that era. Also an action adventure game set in ancient egypt would be great. Of course games set in the 1930's and 40's are always welcome.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#26 fisk0  Moderator

I'd certainly want to see something set in the divided cold war era Germany. I could kinda see an Assassin's Creed game working in that setting, but something more narrative and less combat focused could be even more interesting.

I'm always up for more World War 1 games too, apart from flight sims and some grand strategy games very few games take on that setting.

I'd also like to see more weird sci-fi spins on colonialist history, like Jamestown and Inca.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bah! Forget history. There need to be more hard sci-fi video games.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fredchuckdave
@mortuss_zero said:

Civil War could be interesting, though I think in these politically touchy days it's just asking for trouble no matter how it's handled.

I'd like to see a good Viking game based on the group that made their way to the America's. From either the Viking, Native American or both sides.

The Civil War itself isn't reviled, confederates are hardly treated as WWII villains or anything. Reconstruction is where most of the problems originated/were revived.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

A crime game set in the 1920's / 1930's would be cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bah! Forget history. There need to be more hard sci-fi video games.

You demon! Space demon!

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The Great Arctic Circle War of 2029.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I'd like to see more games set in India in any time period, there is a ton of history in the subcontinent and it's almost an completely untapped setting in games.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a game set in George Orwell's 1984 universe. I want to help Eastasia or Eurasia take down Big Brother.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tom_omb

The 1960s were a fascinating time. I'd love to see more games set then. I've never gotten on board with the GTA series, but if they returned to 1960s London I'd be there in a heartbeat. But I'm a sucker for period games of all types. The reason I keep returning to the Assasin's Creed games because their pop history seeds a curiosity in the time period of any particular game and they have me looking up more on the time.

How about Scandinavia in the 900s? The Russian Revolution? South America as it was colonized by Spain? Or teach me something new and set a game in a time and a place that I never would have thought would be so compelling for a game.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a proper Quest For Fire type game where yer a human tribe killing off all the other humanlike tribes. People forget we didnt just wipe out the Neandertals, there were like half a dozen types of hominids rolling around at one point and humans were like 'have sex with us or we're gonna murder everybody' and we did and that's why we're assholes instead of like lovable dwarfs or whatever neandertals woulda turned into.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want Red Dead Redemption but set in late 19th/early 20th century Australia. Seriously, the Never Never was a hardcore place.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By emfromthesea

Give me Assassin's Creed: Black Flag with Vikings. Even sprinkle in some mythical sea creatures to spruce things up a little.
(maybe I'm just describing The Witcher 3, in which case I really want that game)

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@sunbrozak: I mean I know there's a boat but I expect about 85-90% of the exploration to be on land, maybe more than that. The Witcher 3 will still be awesome though, yarr me harem of collectible explicit card babes.

bhizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Basically I want a replica of The Last Samurai. Tom Cruise, sake and all.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

There's not enough games set in South/Southeast Asia. Any of those countries in the pre-colonial to early colonial era would be interesting.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm a sucker for a 19th century victorian ambient so maybe that's a option? I know we'll have order 1866 but I was thinking more of a rpg game set on that era.

Seconded. With or without Steampunk, doesn't matter, I just love the look of Victorian London and the fashion of the era. The Order looks a bit iffy as a game, but it's still got my hype just for the gorgeous setting.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Wouldn't mind seeing some big Bethesda-ish RPGs set in prehistoric times or the Elizabethan era.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Seikenfreak

Feudal Japan I guess. And not stuff like Kessen or Dynasty Warriors or whatever. Something like Assassin's Creed type gameplay *wink wink* or maybe an RPG like Elder Scrolls? Not so much Way of the Samurai. Hmm but imagine being a bad ass lookin samurai with that crazy ornate armor (that they probably didnt wear in combat in real life) and using a combat system like Batman or Shadow of Mordor? Just hacking the F out of dudes and dashing into a slash and organs spilling out. Action packed but also grounded and somewhat realistic so you could learn some stuff. I don't necessarily want history on Japan but of the actual Samurai or Ninja. Real combat techniques, armor, and what it was like being a samurai or ninja. It's all good.

Prehistoric. Dinosaurs. Think a game like Carnivores but with the insane Crytek Engine. I'd also say survival stuff but people might say "Stomping Land!" but that didn't look very good. I'm talking AAA budget awesome. No real story. Maybe play as a cave man/woman. Whole budget put into gameplay feel and then graphics and super atmospheric audio. Have lots of different dinosaurs though so you can learn about them. Build a living ecosystem with a food chain etc.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

TechiesRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Rome i would love to see more games based during the 2nd punic war.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MrHadouken

1730's-1800's New Oreleans, focusing in on voodoo and the general creepy vibe of the deep south. Or basically make a full length game out of the Fallout 3 DLC Point Lookout.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like a game centered around the Incas and the Aztecs in the 16th century.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Captain_Insano

Rome.

Something not completely fictionalised like Ryse was would be nice.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49  Edited By Giantstalker

The Korean War (1950-53) seems like it always had a ton of potential, but it's largely been ignored in favor of... just about everything else.

I'd also love to see something set during the 1979-1989 War in Afghanistan, probably from the Soviet perspective

joseffthered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Edo period Japan, prehistoric, early Rome.