What game did you think would be your GOTY?

• 72 results
FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator
A leap into the future...?
A leap into the future...?

With 2 new consoles launched and a lackluster launch lineup 2014 seemingly had a long list of potential greats. Turns out hype and marketing don't always match up with reality. Even with tempered expectations you can end up feeling like you just wasted your hard earned money on a clunker.

Out of this year's releases which games did you think were going to be your favorites and ultimately fell flat on its face?

Watch_Dogs? Titanfall? Infamous: Second Son? Destiny? Sims 4? WWE 2K15?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

I had really high hopes for both Titanfall and Destiny. Neither really did it for me. I never thought the most fun I would have this year would be with The Banner Saga.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee
bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By bceagles128

Has to be Watch Dogs for me. I'll be pretty shocked if that doesn't make it onto the most disappointing list.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

After playing episode 1 last year, I was feeling pretty good about naming The Wolf Among Us my GOTY at the start of 2014. But Dark Souls 2 and The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth were just a little bit better.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

My three most anticipated games didn't even end up coming out this year (The Witness, Routine, Stasis). So that leaves me with my 4th most anticipated game, Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, which has now ended up as my all time favourite.

I was also looking forward to Watch_Dogs, not really, but sort of, a little bit, I suppose. I didn't end up getting it, and I most likely never will.

I thought Wasteland 2 was at least going to be good. Whoops. I tried to push through and see if it got better at some point - I ended up being able to put about a dozen hours in before I just couldn't stand playing it anymore :( At least I only paid the minimum amount via Kickstarter.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I expected Infamous. Possibly Transistor.

So disappointed.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

watch dogs, Destiny, Unity and Dark Souls 2 all thought would be contenders... none of them made my top 10

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Guilty Gear Xrd...and it still is my GOTY so I guess that's not really an answer. I expected Bayo2 to be much higher though. Maybe #2 or 3ish, but at least top 5. Ended up landing at #6.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I was most hyped for MGSV, but that didn't come out this year. Second was Hotline Miami 2, but that also didn't get released.

Watch Dogs was next in line, but I ended up NOT buying it due to its reception.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nothing tbh hahahahahahahaha

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Dark Souls 2. To no one's surprise it was =P

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Corevi

Probably Transistor actually! From the very first trailer I was in love with it and it didn't disappoint. Beautiful game in every respect.

Loading Video...

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Julmust

Destiny, Watch_Dogs or Smash Bros. for Wii U. Turns out Smash Bros. actually delivered.

mousse_gallon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

Pokemon ORAS and/or Smash WiiU

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't tend to think about games in the context of potential game of the year candidates before I play them (though I do regularly get really excited for them before release).

I can't really tell you what I thought would be the best game released this year heading into 2014 - the game I was probably most looking forward to as 2014 got started was Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, but that's mostly simply because it was the first major release of the year I was interested in and I tend to simply look forward to what's closest most at any time.

More generally, InFamous Second Son, Transistor, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Smash, Dragon Age Inquisition, Destiny and Watch_Dogs were probably the games I was most anticipating heading into the new year.

Of those games it was Watch_Dogs that was the only significant disappointment (Destiny wasn't quite what I had originally hoped for, but I also liked it quite a lot). I'm a sucker for Ubisoft's formula - at least when it comes to Assassin's Creed, anyway (and I did like it in Far Cry Blood Dragon - didn't play FC3) - but nothing about Watch_Dogs really clicked for me, I simply didn't enjoy the game (and I didn't even care about the much maligned visual downgrade, I was actually still pretty happy with how the game looked).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transistor, but sadly I haven't had the time to sit down and play it so... I'm not sure if it's actually any good?

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't think I'd get a new console this year, so I thought it'd be either Dragon Age: Inquisition (Xbox 360) or Hotline Miami 2.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls 2, it was. My brother bought Watch Dogs and I played through it, I thought it was fine.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Puyo Puyo Tetris was definitely going to be up there, but I thought Titanfall was going to be one of my top games, didn't even come close. I also thought Uncharted 4 would have hit this year.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Destiny and Dragon Age would easily slay every other release this year. Boy, was I wrong.

Not that either of those are bad games, I just never thought an Insomniac game (among many others) would end up topping those two.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I, too figured Destiny or Dragon Age to take the top spot, but since I can't get DA:I to run without crashing on my PC and Destiny was decidedly less immersive than advertised, a dark horse and a console port of a game from 2012 are currently tied for my GOTY.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I expected Dark Souls 2 to be my GOTY and, for the lack of another real contender, it totally turned out to be just that.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

I was sure that Destiny would be my GOTY, but after giving it a shot it didn't even get an honorable mention. I also thought that Wolf Among Us would take the cake, but while it became the 3rd best game i've played this year it still couldn't beat The Evil Within.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JohnTunoku

Dark Souls 2 kind of shit the bed for me. Such a weird side step for the series and there were so many little things about DS1 that I felt could easily be fixed to make a much better game.

The_Big_Rough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Start of the year was going to cheat and say PC version of Metal Gear Rising Revegence. Now that we are at the end of the year i am still going to cheat and say Metal Gear Rising Revegence.....damn that game is awesome.

Dark Souls 2 close second......was alright but no MGR:R.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I was pretty sure it was going to be USFIV

I was right

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Panelhopper

For me it's AC Unity. A game that swapped density for quality. AC was always my blindspot but when your game feels less fun than even last years game, we have a problem.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Hmm I expected Unity to be a game id enjoy the most since Id enjoyed black flag so much, but while unity is good, it's not particularly memorable.

I wasn't even anticipating dragon age inquisition, but looking at all the positive reviews I bought it, and it might turn out to be my surprise GOTY.

As of now, Risen 3 is my GOTY. Not only because everything else I played was so lackluster, but because its a damn good game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By Humanity

I thought Transistor would be great and it was a disappointment.

Had hopes for several other games that turned out just O-K.

So far Dragon Age: Inquisition is probably my GOTY. Amazing game with an addictive penchant for exploration. Any real fan of RPG's would definitely enjoy it. Even despite it's flaws Inquisition remains incredibly entertaining after roughly 40 hours that I've sunk into it. All the hooks of a proper RPG are there: exploration, great dungeons, a ton of armor and customization and a great supporting cast of characters all with their own interesting back stories.

I just killed this guy, got a cool dagger.
I just killed this guy, got a cool dagger.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

inquisition,

and i'm loving it, but dark souls 2 during the early part of the year was an awesome time of co-op gameplay, and I might just go with that.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. And it is.

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
Bicycle_Repairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt like this would be the rpg year.

Because of dragon age 2, i had no great hopes/hypes for inquisition. It has surpassed my expectations of 0. But still has some serious flaws (in my humble opinion).

So it would be a battle between dark souls 2 and the witcher 3!

well.. dark souls 2 is my GOTY, flawed but still high above the rest of the games this year. And witcher 3 didnt come out this year so it will probably be my GOTY for 2015 or 2016.

Civ beyond earth did not live up to my civ v fueled hype, but its still alright i think.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

After playing Lightning Returns in March, I didn't even consider another game would top it for the rest of the year. I was right.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By hermes
No Caption Provided

Before it was pushed again, and again, and again, until it was no longer part of 2014, this was my pre-candidate for GOTY and the one game that would push me toward the next generation.

Still strong chances that it will be a great game, but the fact it was pushed away from this year deflated a lot of interest I had in 2014.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

I had high hopes for Wasteland 2 and Evil Within. Both are not bad games but they reminded me how boring this year was. Nothing memorable in the long run.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't think of games in terms of GOTY before I play them but I thought AC Unity would be the one to get me back into AC, and I was really looking forward to Batman.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the inFamous franchise, so I was slightly let down by Second Son. The mechanics were solid, but the story missions and side missions left me disappointed. Second Son is the only game I've ever gotten a platinum trophy in, which isn't a compliment in a strange way. There just wasn't a whole lot to do in the game. This War of Mine is probably the best thing I've played this year. It's a great game that seemed to come out of nowhere.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I was going to play Destiny for 10 years. BOY WAS I DUMB!!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I dunno, at the end of last year I wasn't seeing a single thing from 2014 that I was interested in, and it kinda stayed that way.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GiantLizardKing

I'm not sure this year was kind of a warm turd when it comes to games, especially AAA releases. My GOTY is either Dark Souls II or Smash for Wii U. Shovel Knight is up there as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figured it'd be some kind of three-horse race between Dark Souls 2, Destiny, and Forza Horizon. I ended up falling head over heels for Alien Isolation. Forza and Dark Souls were among my favorites for the year, predictably, but Destiny didn't crack my personal top 10 list.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'd have to say, Watch_Dogs as well. I had really high hopes for that game, but really what let me down wasn't the poorly covered protagonist or the lackluster story. What really disappointed me was that the game leaned so very little from 'other great games for last generation'.

When do we get games that use the dialogue trees and story branching (slight forking) from Mass Effect? When do we see games allow for the protagonist to be male or female like we saw from a few other games including Mass Effect?

If I were a game producer, I don't care what game I was making my first job would be saying, "Team our game HAS TO allow for the protagonist to be male or female, it has to allow for character creation, it has to allow for at least mildly forking paths so the player feel some control and choice even if that choice leads to the same conclusion." Role Playing game, Shooter, action adventure...whatever all Triple A narrative based games should allow choice of gender and choice of what they protagonist looks like. My "Nathan Drake" should be allowed to be a female Indian woman if I want, my Elena Fisher should be a choice of original Elana or male version as a love interest.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

Probably Transistor actually! From the very first trailer I was in love with it and it didn't disappoint. Beautiful game in every respect.

Loading Video...

By the way, the OP's question was what game did you think had GOTY potential prior to release but ended up being disappointing. :D

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Corevi

@gaspower: Pretty sure it was just "What Game Did You Think Would Be Your GotY?". It being a disappointment was never a qualifier but merely a common thread.

@monkeyking1969: That sounds great in theory but it would just result in every protagonist being as generic and as much of a blank slate as possible. I love myself a good RPG with dialogue options and the like, but there's a place for very linear games that are just focused on telling a singular well done story too.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By pr1mus

Dark Souls 2 or Civilization: Beyond Earth.

Because you'd think that the sequels to a game that is near the top of my favorite from last generation or one that i played over 800h of and that both appeared to be more of the same would make the list this year.

YOU'D THINK!

You'd be wrong though.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

I already knew Smash was going to be my GOTY. I had high hopes for Transistor, Dragon Age, and Titanfall. None of those games really grabbed me this year.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By rethla

I was really pumped for Destiny after playing the beta for 30 hours but when i got the full game i realised the beta was the full game and i was already burned out on it.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By hassun

You know what I've never really thought about what my game for the following year will be. Probably because I do not hype easily. That or the fact that I usually play games long after release.

I suppose I would have expected Dark Souls II to be high up there.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: Oh no, I didn't mean that its the common thread, I meant it is in the actual post itself (that's why he used the Watch_Dogs screencap for example).