What Game Do You Expect To Be Overlooked For GOTY Awards?

• 163 results
kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#101  Edited By kerse

Asura's Wrath is near the top of my list, and is definitely my soundtrack of the year. But it probably won't be mentioned.

Loopah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By Loopah

Xenoblade Chronicles, unfortunately =(

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

LittleBigPlanet Vita, I personally think it's the best LBP, but since they are barely covering vita, or put it in the back of their minds (admittedly what I am doing too right now), I don't think they will give it a shot.

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Rasmoss

Super Hexagon.

It is by far the most inventive and perfectly executed game design of the year. It won't win any major awards though.

JakeBalsagna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By JakeBalsagna

XCOM is my pick right now. The bugs in that game will keep it out of the running but I have enjoyed it more than anything else in recent memory.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#106  Edited By ThePickle

@Kaiserreich said:

Crusader Kings II and Wargame: European Escalation.

Basically all strategy games and most PC games.

Definitely. It's weird that all these guys (except Patrick) have great PC's and they only use them to play console games.

Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107  Edited By Aounslaught

I REALLY hope Brad doesn't forget Journey. Journey deserves some props for the Game of the Year.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By JZ

Ssx

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By ThePaleKing

@kerse said:

Asura's Wrath is near the top of my list, and is definitely my soundtrack of the year. But it probably won't be mentioned.

Brad and Patrick seemed to enjoy the game a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up on one of their lists.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#110  Edited By Bribo

Binary Domain. I thought that was last year, but it wasn't. I checked the release date on Giantbomb.com.

Dragon's Dogma will also be overlooked, but it deserves it.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#111  Edited By gaminghooligan

Crusader Kings 2... *le sigh*

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Halo 4, these low-budget indie games just don't get any respect I tell ya.

@Jeust said:

Catherine will be overlooked.

That would be for last year, wouldn't it?

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By devise22

I think Syndicate could get overlooked due to how early it came out compared to some of the other games this year. Not to mention how it was a bit short. But it's fantastic. I also think Guild Wars 2 may get overlooked simply because it's an MMO and only really the "hardcore" faithful of that genre really dug into it.

As for games that will probably get looked at but won't make GOTY lists? I'd say Mass Effect 3. Everyone seems to shit on that game just for the way it ended. But the rest of the game was fantastic. The missions, the payoff for the choices you made. It all was great. I would venture to say that it's really hard to end a series with that much hype/mystery. A lot of games and other media specifically movies/shows that have built up tons of hype/anticipation regarding answers usually result in disappointing conclusions. Mass Effect 3 is still easily one of the top games this year imo.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By jmfinamore

@Marz said:

Binary Domain, i don't even know if any of them played more than what was in the Quicklook... which is a damn shame cuz that game is like a flower.... it blossoms later on.

Out of curiosity, what is it about Binary Domain that so many people seem to love? From the bit I've seen, nothing about it looks too amazing (not that it looks bad either). Is the gameplay that good or is it the story?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#115  Edited By Animasta

@HarlequinRiot said:

@Marz said:

Binary Domain, i don't even know if any of them played more than what was in the Quicklook... which is a damn shame cuz that game is like a flower.... it blossoms later on.

Out of curiosity, what is it about Binary Domain that so many people seem to love? From the bit I've seen, nothing about it looks too amazing (not that it looks bad either). Is the gameplay that good or is it the story?

all of the characters mostly, as well as the story; imagine Deadly premonition if the story made more sense and it was pretty fun to play.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#116  Edited By DarthOrange

LBP Vita, Twisted Metal and Soul Calibur 5 will probably be no shows on most GOTY lists. I hope I am wrong.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By MikeGosot
@HarlequinRiot said:

@Marz said:

It's fun to play and it's charming as hell, charming enough to gather a cult following. You should give it a try, it's great. In the worst possible situation, you'll find it mediocre.
Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Gruff182

Can't think of any clear runners, unlike other years.

I know we had Mass Effect 3 (which to me is a poor mans, ME2) Halo, AC and CoD, which neither seem like GOTY caliber.

GW2 was excellent, that'll be/has been overlooked.

Hopefully an underdog will get its due. Either an indie title (FTL, Hell Yeah) or possibly XCOM, Syndicate or Sleeping Dogs (which is in fact the correct name of the game).

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By MakoTitan

With great sadness, i say the walking dead. Nit from GB!!! But from other sources. Its so good! It deserves nonstop praise!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Seppli

Need for Speed Most Wanted - mainly because its Game-of-the-Year'ness is buried beneath a thick sheath of shit. Most stop playing the game, before its greatness is unearthed from under its way too loose and tedious campaign structure, and way before gameplay mastery and autolog-compulsion and competition truely sets-in. Straight-up multiplayer is insanely fun too, when it works. It just doesn't way too often, either because it fails on a technical level, such as speedlist progression bugging out, or because some players don't participate and bring event progression to a grinding halt on purpose (or are just life-inadequate pieces of hot human trash).

On top of that, the PC version is extremely unpolished. For me, it's become nigh unplayable due to client instability, which is somehow related to having filled up the gameworld with autolog postings, and something going wrong therefore. Regardless, the game is at its core extremely fun. The type of fun I only have with what I consider Game-of-the-Year worthy games. Love it regardless of the sea of manure this pearl is currently swimming in (on PC). Hoping for lots of patching and soon. Before the year is out. Then it actually might deserve such high honors. At least as far as I'm concerned.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#121  Edited By DoctorWelch

I have this weird feeling that Journey will be overlooked, even though I consider it one of the best games ever made, I won't be surprised if people forget how amazing it was because it came out earlier in the year. I think the same can be said for Fez.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#122  Edited By zor

Hmm... Xenoblade was a great rpg, Binary Domain had a good story... well, a story that i liked a lot, The Last Story was fun to play since it wasn't a normal rpg, and Fallen Enchantress is addicting.

Sadly, i think all of these games will be overlooked, come award time.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By BlatantNinja23

While I don't think it's the best of this year, I feel like people are going to forget that Kid Icarus even came out this year let alone it was a great game. It at least deserves to be on the list. I didn't expect how much I would enjoy that game.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By bigsmoke77

@TruthTellah: Mass Effect 3's Quest should not be rewarded for anything positive. What a pathetic game structure.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Voxus

Asura's Wrath

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#126  Edited By C0V3RT

Fez. Nothing to do with it's quality, everything to do with timing.

If iOS games count... Plague Inc.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#127  Edited By Marz

@HarlequinRiot said:

@Marz said:

To me the characters really grow on you after awhile, the relationship system doesn't seem like much but it really has serious implications on how the story ends which was a pretty good surprise The story is also crazy as hell but really interesting once you take in all the exposition. A I don't think it's the best shooter out there, but the actual gameplay isn't terrible... I bought it for 10$ and I dont' regret buying it.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#128  Edited By big_jon

Dead Space.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Kerned

@C0V3RT said:

I thought Plague Inc. was interesting, but it certainly didn't rise to the level of a GOTY contender for me. What was it about it that you liked to that degree?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Sackmanjones
@me3639 said:

@Kaiserreich said:

Crusader Kings II and Wargame: European Escalation.

Basically all strategy games and most PC games.

This ^^^ + Mark of the Ninja.

They will not forget Mark of the Ninja
YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#131  Edited By YI_Orange

Persona 4 Arena. It at least needs to be mentioned for whatever soundtrack/music category they have.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#132  Edited By sammo21

FTL

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By L44

I'm afraid they'll miss Gods & Kings for best DLC.

And judging from bombcast talk Torchlight 2 (?).

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Canteu

Binary Domain.

That game is the shiztits.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By C0V3RT

@Kerned said:

@C0V3RT said:

I thought Plague Inc. was interesting, but it certainly didn't rise to the level of a GOTY contender for me. What was it about it that you liked to that degree?

It's not GOTY for me but it'd certainly be in my top 10. In terms of bang for my buck this year, Plague Inc is my runaway winner. I've spent countless hours tackling it, showing it off to friends and family, and going back trying old infections on harder difficulties. I felt as if the level of depth it has is super deep. Sure, you can fumble you way through infections, but taking the time to learn and gain an understanding of the infections, how they spread, and the right combination of symptoms to use is incredibly satisfying. The way it implements touch is perfect. I'm so tired of games centered around swiping. Plague Inc is exactly what I'm looking for.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By amir90
@Atlas I love history, but I could barely learn anything from that game.
The time needed to learn anything, didn´t seem worth it :o
Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Kerned

@C0V3RT said:

The way it implements touch is perfect. I'm so tired of games centered around swiping. Plague Inc is exactly what I'm looking for.

Ok, yeah. I can get behind everything that you said, especially that bit I quoted. Actually my wife recently got it and has gotten way more into it than I did.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Codeacious

Asura's Wrath.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#139  Edited By Slag

@Catarrhal said:

Anyone else think Dragon's Dogma deserved more recognition? I thought it was a hell of a lot more interesting than most gave it credit for, especially compared to a total rehash like Diablo III.

I'm with ya duder. Great game, one of the best I've played in a long time maybe ever, and will undoubtedly be totally overlooked for GOTY since the crew gave it three stars among other reasons.

Avatar image for mexican_brownie
Mexican_Brownie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Mexican_Brownie

Binary Domain

This game is awesome. The gunplay is good and very satisfying, but the story and characters are what make the game shine. The setting is very unique and the story goes to some wild places. The characters are all very well written and the interactions between them are really well done. If Jacques is not even considered for character of the year, somebody has done fucked up. I haven't been able to try any of the multiplayer modes because no one is playing the game anymore. More people should play this game :(

Paper Mario Sticker Star

Many will looked down on this game for not being an RPG but it's so expertly designed for portable play. It's not an RPG like its predecessors but other than it's turn-based battle system, the game does not pretend to be one either. If anything the game is more like a Zelda or a Metroid than a RPG. In fact it's probably the most Zelda 1 like, Nintendo developed game since the original Zelda game. This game is full of puzzles and the game gives a very unNintendo amount of freedom in the way you can explore the world. The game never holds your hand and it is awesome, my friends.

Although I'm yet to finish the game I already consider this game is to be something special. There's not a lot of characters or story for that matter, but everything that made the past games so remarkable is still there. The world is full to the brim with charm, the music is fucking amazing, and the battle system is still lots of fun.TTYD fans will cry about the lack of partners and badges, but I think most of them overestimate the "complexity" of the past games battle system. They were painfully easy, like ridiculously so, to the point that after a certain point badges made partners almost inconsequential. The sticker system instead makes the game more challenging since it introduces a this interesting form of resource management that forces player to carefully manage the type and amount of stickers they carry and most importantly manage how they go about and use their stickers.

This game will undoubtedly be divisive. If you expecting and wanting the same old Paper Mario ala TTYD then you'll probably be disappointed and will probably not like the game very much. In my opinion, however, this is the most refreshing Nintendo developed game, I have played since Mario Galaxy and people with a 3DS would be missing out on a very good game if they don't play it.

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By FrankieSpankie

Does Black Mesa count? =P

Honestly, I feel like Black Mesa was a top 3 game this year. While I love Half-Life and it's one of my top 3 gaming franchises of all time, it's sad for a year in gaming when I consider a remake of a 14 year old game using the engine of an 8 year old game to be a top 3 game of the year. There were some great indie games though. I feel like the indie games blew the AAA titles out of the water.

I personally think if Dishonored doesn't win GotY, it will be overlooked. I'm sure it'll be at least nominated in the top 3 but I really don't see much reason why it shouldn't win. The Walking Dead game is the other game out of those top 3 I have in mind.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#142  Edited By Blackout62

Spec Ops: The Line. I mean justifiably so, that game was nowhere near perfect. But dude it was freakin' Spec Ops: The Line! Analytical books that I have the intent to read are being written about it!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Animasta

@Blackout62 said:

Spec Ops: The Line. I mean justifiably so, that game was nowhere near perfect. But dude it was freakin' Spec Ops: The Line! Analytical books that I have the intent to read are being written about it!

That's only because it was just popular enough for that shit to happen. You can do that about plenty of things, that thing alone does not a deep game make.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By AssInAss

Spec Ops The Line, The Walking Dead, and Mark of the Ninja.

Dishonored too sadly.

Actually this year has been pretty disappointing for sequels so maybe a new IP or downloadable game will get out. Fingers crossed!

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Zekhariah

@LastNinja said:

Max Payne 3 and Hotline: Miami

I can agree with the max payne 3. It seemed like the overall impressions were fairly positive, but it was out of step with the narrative of game preference for the year. Hotline is recent enough that people will still probably remember it though. But I only see it getting a nod in the brutal difficulty category.

Edit: Spec Ops has gotten so much traction in the enthusiast press that it would surprise me if it did not get some attention. It seemed to get a really cold reception (due to gameplay mechanics), but then the play everything types had to go back to it when there was that period of no AAA console releases. At which point it got a fair amount of attention for the shifting dialogue and unreliable narrator portions.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragons Dogma, that was this year right? I really enjoyed this game. Felt somewhat old school but with good modern design choices still.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#147  Edited By golguin

Asura's Wrath needs to get some kind of reward for its boss fights and cinematic sequences. Nothing I have played in recent memory has had me so pumped about what I'm watching on the screen and how hard I'm pressing a button to BURST.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#148  Edited By Mezmero

I think Ghost Trick for iPhone/ iPad will get beaten by Pushmo for 2012's 2011 GOTY. It's a real shame because that game is fantastic on iOS devices and I don't think Pushmo makes a strong enough case for the eshop at this juncture. Hopefully Vinny or Patrick will put up some kind of argument in favor of Ghost Trick.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#149  Edited By BeachThunder

@Mezmero said:

I think Ghost Trick for iPhone/ iPad will get beaten by Pushmo for 2012's 2011 GOTY. It's a real shame because that game is fantastic on iOS devices and I don't think Pushmo makes a strong enough case for the eshop at this juncture. Hopefully Vinny or Patrick will put up some kind of argument in favor of Ghost Trick.

=/ Why Pushmo? Is there really a large contingent of people that think Pushmo is better than Ghost Trick?

Edit: BTW, Ghost Trick is amazing and was my favourite game from last year :D

cruxking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By cruxking

I think Diablo 3 is probably not gonna get jack for awards.

It may not even be the best Diablo game but i still loved the hell out of it and still play it all the time.

But ya most people weren't feeling it.