• 102 results
#1 Posted by stantongrouse (220 posts) -

Am I alone in having to seriously tell myself to not buy particular games all too frequently? I ask because Rainbow Six has a free weekend and sale on Steam - I was a click away from getting it before reminding myself that for all the good reviews, Vinny praise etc. I don't know a person that owns it, I am not the most motivated to play games like this with randoms and it's not even a big fan of tactical shooters any more. But I want it, despite all these things, so every sale that come around I have to have a little word with myself.

Any games that you have to keep telling yourself not to get or, didn't and it now sits on a shelf on in a digital library gathering real or metaphorical dust? Or am I just a sucker for the Steam green labels?

#2 Edited by NTM (11826 posts) -

@stantongrouse: Kind of, but I'm pretty bad at not buying it, at least if I have enough money and especially if it's on sale. Most recently it is games that I have already bought on the PS4, but might want on the Xbox One X to experience it in an enhanced form. I haven't really done this with Rainbow Six: Siege because the fact that it's so focused on multiplayer deters me greatly, but I have thought to myself 'I've loved just about every Tom Clancy shooter, would I like Siege too?' I just tell myself no. It doesn't help though that I have two brothers that like multiplayer games, and so I kind of try to justify why I might actually get a game such as that.

#3 Posted by Sahalarious (774 posts) -

Siege is one of mine too, I know its not my game but I desperately need a multiplayer game without loot boxes or im going to lose my fucking mind (titanfall 2 still has my back though). I frequently tell myself that I need to buy both dishonored games, even though I hated the original when it came out. and every now and then I pretend to care about sports and nearly waste 60 bucks on Madden.

#4 Posted by soulcake (2786 posts) -

Don Bradmans cricket Just for the menu.

#5 Posted by Rebel_Scum (1442 posts) -

Gran Turismo Sport because I want a game with modes similar to GT on PS1 as it's the only one I've played but from what I've heard it's not that game.

Horizon Zero Dawn, just because I already have open world games in my backlog that I haven't played yet and I should just bloody play them. As Fun Lovin' Criminals say, "Smoke em' if ya got em."

#6 Edited by BaneFireLord (3568 posts) -

Dark Souls 3 whenever it's on sale, and probably also Dark Souls Remastered when it releases for Switch. I've never enjoyed a Souls game, I'm never going to beat a Souls game, but I bought Dark Souls twice and both DS2 and Scholar of the First Sin out of some perennial hope that *this time* the formula will click with me. It never, ever does and it never, ever will, but I'm an idiot who never, ever learns.

#7 Edited by reap3r160 (265 posts) -

Ghost Recon Wildlands has been a big one. I have dabbled with the trial, but a) I have a huge backlog as is b) I know that that style of game will get old for me eventually.

On a larger scale, I have been going around and around about buying an Xbox One X for months. I already have a ps4 pro, an Xbox One S and a beefy PC that can run things between 3440x1440 and 4k at 100 and 60fps respectively, but....new tech is cool?

#8 Posted by nutter (2145 posts) -

I have a mile long backlog, usually from sales. Some are games I’ve played that I’d like the option to go back to (and hey, on sale for $5, why not?). Others are games I’m interested in and fully intend on playing, once I find the time.

The money isn’t really an issue, and with everything being x86 architecture these days, hopefully time won’t be either, as long as I have patience.

#9 Edited by BoOzak (2592 posts) -

It's a bit unfair but I feel that way about Fallout 76. Granted we dont know much about it but I disdain survival games. (yet ended up buying MG Survive, but that was £20) Bethesda have yet to personally disappointment me even if I do feel that each of their games have been more streamlined than the last. (I know this is being co-developed by another studio)

#10 Posted by Efesell (4508 posts) -

Huge bundles of Paradox map game DLC.

#11 Edited by JunkerWoland (92 posts) -

At the moment, the only game I probably keep telling myself not to buy is Street Fighter 5. I have no delusions about being legitimately competitive, but the mechanics look fun and I'm a long-time fan of fighting games (and SF). That said, I completely disagree with how the game is being sold, and I know even if I purchase SF5: Arcade Edition, I'll still feel the need to add the newest season of characters, which will erase any monetary savings. With the single-player content being fairly garbage, what's left is bare-bones software for someone who isn't much interested in getting routinely destroyed online.

#12 Posted by reap3r160 (265 posts) -

@boozak: I feel you there. Mostly because we still have almost zero idea what this game actually is, hopefully the beta coming up with clarify that. Even then though, I just don't think that style of game will appeal to me, besides it being "another" fallout game.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
#13 Posted by Colonel_Pockets (1315 posts) -

Basically any game at the moment for me because money is tight. It took a lot of strength for me not to buy God of War. That game has me written all over it. One day I will play it.

#14 Edited by stantongrouse (220 posts) -

@junkerwoland The Streetfighter games are another of my don't buy this too. Played a lot of 2 when I was younger but fell of the fighting genre hard after my teens, bought 4 and some pads when it came out on the 360 - that was the first time I really thought after buying a game, "this is so not for me, no matter how cool it is."

#15 Posted by JunkerWoland (92 posts) -

@stantongrouse: I didn't particularly like SF4 for a variety of reasons, and I wish SF5 hadn't continued its predecessor's aesthetic direction, but what little I've played of SF5 has seemed more enjoyable. Still, I can completely appreciate modern fighters being harder to get into for many people.

#16 Posted by nicksmi56 (840 posts) -

DOOM, Octopath, Hollow Knight, Captain Toad basically every other big Switch game right now.

Also any game in my Steam wishlist when it goes on sale.

I have way too many PS3 games sitting there untouched/not completed because younger me fell hard for used game sales. I stocked up that PS3 library to the nines because I was so jazzed to finally own a current system and play the games everyone else was playing. What I definitely didn't see coming was late high school/all of college me making a hard right turn towards Nintendo again and my PS3 games basically sitting there forever. So I'm stopping myself from buying new games til that massive pile (and the pile of games in general) goes down a bit.

Resisting hasn't gone as smoothly as I would've liked this year thanks to several big releases and my loved ones being unwitting enablers, but I'm slowly making my way through.

#17 Edited by fisk0 (6901 posts) -

Most Ubisoft games, though not for the reasons most have stated, I guess. I just really dislike the way they've handled DRM over the last 10 or so years, from the always online stuff around 2010-2015 to the ridiculous problems that Assassin's Creed Origins was suffering from on PC due to it literally checking if the copy was legitimate on every single player input.

Wildlands, Steep and a few other of their games are pretty intriguing, and I've been pretty tempted during those Steam sales, but I'll only pick them up once they're released DRM free on GOG. I'm willing to wait until that happens, but once it does I'll pick them up instantly.

#18 Posted by pweidman (2853 posts) -

Fallout 76. I'll wait until after release and check the feedback. I sense it's a reused asset cash grab, but maybe that's my recent disdain for Bethesda working. Still waiting for confirmation regardless.

#19 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7092 posts) -

Not a specific game, but every now and then I'll see a Collector's Edition of a new game on the horizon that I constantly go back and forth on because I don't want stock to run out and prices to skyrocket and blahblahblah. Here's my reason for telling myself not to buy it:

1. 90% of the time, prices will drop dramatically because they either print too much and/or people are just trying to offload their copies
  2. I'll get over it. I can't think of one game off the top of my head where I'm still kicking myself for missing out on the Collector's Edition.
  3. Most of that shit is junk anyway and not worth displaying or something I'd be too ashamed to display. There's a lot of games that came with boob mouse pads, trading cards, wallscrolls, and other dumb bullshit that I look back on and go "thank god I didn't/couldn't buy that stupid thing because all that bullshit would still be sitting in the box."

Yet, still one game will pop up every now and then that I really wanna pull the trigger on and I have to spend days or weeks trying to talk myself out of it, then I do, rinse and repeat, etc.

#20 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15716 posts) -

Every time Hard West goes on sale for like $5 I have to remind myself that I’ve never heard an especially positive word about it and I’m past the point of needing to try out every single turn-based tactics thing that comes out.

And yeah, Rainbow Six Siege as well, because I don’t have a friend group who plays it (nor do I think I have friends who I could persuade to play with me) and the idea of playing something so communication focused with randos seems like a baaaad idea.

#21 Posted by CaLe (4799 posts) -

I haven't played WoW since 2011 and I still sometimes have to tell myself I can't go back to that. Divinity Original Sin II is one I've come close to buying a few times and keep putting off.

#22 Posted by Thursday1977 (126 posts) -

Dead Cells was one of the more recent ones. It looks like a good one of those types of games; but I have no interest in games with procedural generation, right now. I prefer something with crafted areas, akin to what Guacamelee 2 will be when it releases next week (!?!).

I also tend to have the inverse: games to which I keep saying no, even though I have no reason to do so. Headlander: looks neat, I like that type of gameplay, it is often on sale on both PC and PS4. Heck, it's $6 on PS4 right now. And yet I still hum and has and overanalyze this decision.

#23 Posted by redwing42 (525 posts) -

Mass Effect Andromeda for me. I know it has been on sale for less than $10, and I know I loved the series, but I need to understand that it is not a good game and I will only be wasting time that I should be using to play better games in my backlog.

#24 Edited by Slag (8157 posts) -

Oh probably about half the games I already own.
alright you got me, 2/3 of the games I already own

#25 Edited by BelowStupid (496 posts) -

No Man's Sky. I want to see what it is, but I'm only willing to spend $15 (I'd be distinctly happier paying 10) b/c of all the nonsense with the buildup and launch, and the fact that I'll just play it for a few hours max.

#27 Posted by Big_Denim (840 posts) -

@redwing42: Don't do it. This would have been my answer had this been asked 2 weeks earlier, but I caved and got it during the most recent Xbox sale. Trust me, it's a regretful decision.

If you're gonna do it...at least get it on PC if that is an option for you. At least then you can get a refund. Though maybe you should get it on console so it's permanantly stuck in your library as a constant reminder of just how weak you were. At least that's what I'm going through right now... :(

So OP, now that I've caved and purchased Mass Effect: Andromeda, my new choice would probably be 'Tyranny.' I really like the idea of playing an Obsidian RPG. Until I start playing an Obsidian RPG...No seriously...I think I own multiple copies of Pillars of Eternity and have started up a new character 3 or 4 times now. I get about 5 or 6 hours in before just totally burning out on it. SO why the hell should I get Tyranny? I know for a fact I'm gonna do the same thing with that as I did with PoE. Yet there it is...every Steam sale. Just taunting me with its ludicrously low price of $10 or whatever the hell it's at these days.

#28 Posted by lead_dispencer (536 posts) -

Right now it’s any game outside of rdr2 and Spider-Man. Those are the two big games I’ve been looking forward to all year outside of god of war. Other games I’ll see some trailers or try to get a few fun games on my switch and I’ll have to remind myself to stay strong!

#29 Posted by ShaggE (9273 posts) -

Skyrim VR. I fully intend to get it, but given how hard I fell off of regular-ass Skyrim, I know I shouldn't spend more than fifteen bucks on it. But dammit, it taunts me so.

#30 Posted by AlKusanagi (1650 posts) -

The Switch version of Darkest Dungeon, because I know it will take my life over...

#31 Posted by Nodima (2614 posts) -

Mass Effect Andromeda for me. I know it has been on sale for less than $10, and I know I loved the series, but I need to understand that it is not a good game and I will only be wasting time that I should be using to play better games in my backlog.

This was the game I came to say. Before it would've been Watch Dogs 2, but when they did that free hour or whatever a few months ago I dug it for what it was, and I remember a lot of people I respect digging it for what it was through most of the game, so I bit the bullet when it was on deep discount a couple months ago. Still haven't fired it up yet.

But Andromeda...I remember thinking the combat looked enjoyable when it was being previewed, and Mass Alex has me itching to get back into the Mass Effect world. I'd just fire up Mass Effect 2 but my PS3's controllers are dead so I'd need to buy a new one just to play a game I've already played several times over. So, especially right this week as it's back under $10, I'm hovering over the X button...I just need to go watch the Quick Look of that game again and get over it for another year or so.

#32 Posted by mcbisquick (54 posts) -

I have caved on pretty much every game this year that had me saying, "Don't do it". Street Fighter V (Fun, but definitely destroys me), Fighting Ex Layer (Really like it), Onrush (Really like it), Monster Hunter World (Not really my kinda thing, but not bad either), and No Man's Sky (Need to put more time into it) were all games I was fighting off the impulse to buy for some stretch of time. Then usually a sale would come along to justify my bad spending habits.

This year I kinda embraced those sorts of impulse purchases, though. As long as you're mostly smart about it and plan more around sales instead of getting things as soon as they launch, you'll get to try a lot of interesting stuff and that can be rewarding in its own way. Even if it means not every game you try is going to be up your alley or stick with you.

Rainbow 6 was actually one on my radar, too. But I played during the last free weekend they did and knew it has just got a little too much going on for me who would mostly be playing solo. So yeah, take advantage of free weekends, too.

#33 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8893 posts) -

Most every 4x game these days has a UI I just can't read, and I have to keep reminding myself that no matter how cool they look, I really don't need to buy stuff I can't play.

#34 Posted by Relkin (1184 posts) -

Dragonball Fighterz. It's a tag game. I've never liked a tag game. I will never like a tag game; they're a fucking mess, but maaaaan that game looks good.

#35 Posted by cubidog (96 posts) -

Pretty much any game on my Steam wishlist because I need to get through my backlog. But next time Enter the Gungeon goes on sale I'm definitely going to buy that even though it's going to be another 100+ hour journey. I've been waiting for far too long to play that considering it's exactly my type of game.

#36 Edited by Justin258 (15659 posts) -

@gtb08: So Siege has Alpha Packs, which are basically loot boxes but you only get one item. And you get them through regular play somewhat often anyway. Siege's microtransactions are fairly easy to ignore anyway, provided you buy the edition of the game that comes with all operators. They're also all cosmetic.

EDIT: To answer the actuak question, I rented Monster Hunter World and was completely bored by it but I'm still fighting the urge to buy that PC version. That one looks so good and really seems like a game I'd be way into, but the actual combat looks like you just spend a lot of time mashing attack, sometimes chasing the monster, sometimes sharpening your weapon.

#37 Edited by OhCollusion (12 posts) -

@junkerwoland: I would stay away from SFV. Another thing I found when the dlc character packs were on sale was that if you purchased a pack on one account it can't be used by any one else on your PS4. My brother was looking forward to using the new characters and we were blown away when I learned that you had to purchase it on every account. Turned me off of coming back to it right away lol. Great game but shitty monetization.

I feel a lot better recommending bb cross tag battle. It's about 20 bucks more to get all the characters but you get a boat load of content. Campaign, mission mode, great tutorial and the game plays great.

#38 Edited by frytup (1316 posts) -
@nodima said:
@redwing42 said:

This was the game I came to say. Before it would've been Watch Dogs 2, but when they did that free hour or whatever a few months ago I dug it for what it was, and I remember a lot of people I respect digging it for what it was through most of the game, so I bit the bullet when it was on deep discount a couple months ago. Still haven't fired it up yet.

But Andromeda...I remember thinking the combat looked enjoyable when it was being previewed, and Mass Alex has me itching to get back into the Mass Effect world. I'd just fire up Mass Effect 2 but my PS3's controllers are dead so I'd need to buy a new one just to play a game I've already played several times over. So, especially right this week as it's back under $10, I'm hovering over the X button...I just need to go watch the Quick Look of that game again and get over it for another year or so.

Eh... I've finished it. The patched version is not what you saw in the quick look. I wouldn't actually recommend it to anyone looking for a Mass Effect experience, but as a video game it's worth $10.

#39 Posted by HellBrendy (1310 posts) -

@nodima: Andromeda is nothing now to what it was. It’s way better, and in some sense better. But worse than the trio logo, just not that shitshow it was when released.

#40 Edited by Seikenfreak (1534 posts) -

I'm a pretty big compulsive spender. There are a handful of things I probably didn't need to buy.

But the only thing that's coming to mind at this moment as something I'm looking at but trying not to buy is Dead Cells. It's really hard to not get caught up in the "hype" from the GB crew I guess. It looks pretty to me and I like something with good combat I think? I also like stumbling into a new-to-me genre that broadens my palette. That being said, I don't seem to like run based games. Everything I've tried like Spelunky or Rogue Legacy has just been like.. bleh. So I have to take into context that Ben and them like those games, and thus they are loving Dead Cells, so I should take what they are saying with a grain of salt I guess? And I would probably play the game for a little bit and stop.

That and Fighting Force on PS1. I have vague memories of renting that as a kid and enjoying it? So now I want to see if I'm crazy.. but person wants $15 and I offered $10 and he was like.. nah.. So I stopped myself.

#41 Posted by Strathy (190 posts) -

Anything that's not out yet.

#42 Posted by Sahalarious (774 posts) -

@justin258: I don't find the monetization in Siege to be at all offensive, just the gameplay. I recognize it as awesome it just doesn't suit me, I stink! I miss the days of Rainbow Six 3 multiplayer but I know I'm chasing a ghost.

#43 Posted by ajamafalous (13817 posts) -

Nioh

#44 Posted by bybeach (6354 posts) -

Nier Automatica (hopefully that's correct). I really wanted to get out of it what Alex did, but something about the nature of the game stops me.

Enough of a sale and that may break.

#45 Posted by Toastburner_B (471 posts) -

Like...the entire Nintendo Switch console?

We started to sell them at my work, so I'd get it at a pretty good deal...but I got five consoles hooked up already. I'm trying to keep myself from buying a Switch until I work through the backlog of at least one of the older consoles.

#47 Edited by Onemanarmyy (4408 posts) -

Doom. So much of the game is about the fluidness & the graphics. Having a PC that hardly runs the game just wouldn't do it justice.

Final Fantasy 14. I would probably enjoy it, but i'm not the person to do subscription based games.

Base version of Witcher 3 is another one. Given how good the DLC is, i rather wait for the GOTY version to drop in price some more.

#48 Posted by wollywoo (263 posts) -

There are certain types of games that always get rave reviews, but I don't care that much for them anyway. Especially: Rockstar games. They're never terrible, but I always find them obnoxious and I don't seem to love them the way reviewers do. They always give an enormous world, but almost no way to interact with the story in a meaningful way. I always wander around and get up a wanted level for a while, try some story missions, and get frustrated and bored.

Civ 6. Because if I started playing, I would not stop.

Skyrim. See above.

#49 Posted by Kamui97 (131 posts) -

I just got a ps4 pro last month, which makes my console considerably superior to my current laptop gaming setup (which was equivalent to a base ps4). Before i could pick and choose which games i wanted to play on pc or ps4 depending on sales and discounts, but now every time i see some heavily discounted pc titles i have to keep reminding myself i just got a pro.

#50 Posted by HansBak (26 posts) -

@babychoochoo: That's pretty much the same for me. I wouldn't be able to put it better