Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By limond

P1: "What music do you like?"

P2: "Oh. Everything but country and rap music."

What genres do you just not enjoy? You can't get into them, they are too dense, you just get hung up on every time you try to play one, or what ever reason you don't like a certain genre of game?

For me the genres I least enjoy are Platformers and Fighting games. With Platformers I dislike the pixel perfect maneuvers that must be done in many of the games. With fighting games it is much of the same. The long combos to pull off moves isn't something I enjoy memorizing so I never got into them.

So what games can you just not get into?

A brief aside while watching RoF I just learned that quarter circle back was just a different way of saying down and left on an analog controller.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably MOBAs and MMOs for me.

DOTA is the Garth Brooks of video games.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably modern sports games that have essentially become sims. The old maddens were accessible and fun but the modern games are too dense, mechanics heavy, and fraught with "systems". Truck stick!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sinusoidal

I like the idea of driving games, but whenever I play one, I think "I do this shit in real life all the time and I hate it there too" and stop playing. The only one I ever really enjoyed was one of the Burnouts where you got to make huge car crashes for points.

The other genre, I dunno. I don't think I've ever finished an RTS despite having played quite a few. They always just frustrate and stress me when they start to get hard and I don't feel like I'm having any fun at all.

I like country and rap.

Quarter circle back isn't just down and left on an analog stick. It's the motion down, down-left, left (switch left with right if your opponent is on your left.) Like Ken or Ryu's Hurricane kick in SF2.

Edit: Holy crap yes, replace RTS with Sports for sure. And also MOBAs. Fuck those.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By 71Ranchero

I guess Mobas and Indie-ass Indie games(art games or things that are described as an experience to get around not being any fun).

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Sports and fighting games? I definitely don't care for sports games, but I'm just not good enough at fighting games to bother with those. I guess a more apt second choice would be RTS games--used to like them but don't much care anymore.

In the end, though, I'm interested in anything that seems fun and new. I wouldn't say that all sports/fighting/RTS games are off the table for me, but it takes special circumstances for me to enjoy them. Similar to how I fucking hate the majority of country/rap music but can occasionally get down with a song from those genres.

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigmess: I love the sentence "Garth Brooks of video games"

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Sin4profit

Visual novels, though i'm curious to try one in an attempt to see the appeal, just not willing to buy one.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like rap.

But for me it would be MOBAS/RTS games and MMOs.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By conmulligan

Pretty much everything out of Japan that isn't Metal Gear or from Nintendo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I like Rap and like some Alt-Country like Drive-By Truckers. Yes I know what you mean I am just being an asshole.

Mine are MOBAs and Fighting games.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First person shooters and...hmmm. Don't think there's any other genre that I am inherently disinterested in.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Whatever falls into "casual free to play mobile game"

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like people willing to dismiss an entire genre of music out of hand are probably just too unfamiliar with it to find something that they enjoy within it, and not willing to expend the effort that doing so would take. Not that there's anything really wrong with that, but I think it's an important distinction.

I feel the same way about games. I don't, in general, like sports games, because I feel they often require a fair bit of real-world knowledge about the actual sport that I lack - but I love me some alternate reality sports games, so it's not as if the mechanics are inherently uninteresting to me. Also soccer games are all right. Same thing with racing - I don't know jack about cars, and anything simulation-y will turn me away very quickly, but if you want to play some Extreme-G, some Wipeout, or some goddamn Mario Kart, I am all over it.

I guess the only genre of games that really holds me at arms length are the bullet hell shmups. Like, I bought Ikaruga, I think it's really cool - I'm just way too much of an old man to play it, apparently.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Sports games and MOBAs. I'll give pretty much anything else a shot. Even though I've never played much of any RTS and am quite bad at them, there's always been something about them that's very alluring.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

MOBAs, sports games, MMOs, retro-styled 2D platformers.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Puzzle platformers and sports games.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

MOBA's and fighting games.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

MOBAs and fighting games. In terms of getting really good at them they are actually similar and I don't have the patience to not only learn my character but also every other character.

Berserk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Broke shit

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I guess JRPG's and sport games. The only sport game I have an inkling of fun with is Fifa, and even that I can't stick with.

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOBA: I never really grew up with PC games, so I can't really use the keyboard and mouse to well. Simulation driving games: if it doesn't have a missile, I ain't interested. Otherwise, I'm pretty open to games, though Open-World is kinda grating me as of late.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll try just about anything. I'd play a MOBA if I had more time to understand it and play it well. I've gotten very deep into MMO stuff, FPS stuff, JRPG stuff etc.

Actually, fighting games might be the least accessible to me. But I've never actually tried to play one, so I don't know.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RTS and Sports games generally, and I only enjoy fighting games if the person I'm against is equally as terrible at them as me.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JJBSterling

There are always a bunch of stand-outs so I can't really say I dismiss any genres.

I don't really like strategy games but I love Starcraft 2 and XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

I was never really into JRPG's until I played a bunch of Persona 3 and 4.

I don't really like MMO's but I've sunk an uncountable amount of hours into Runescape years ago.

Just thought of sports games though. Only one I can recall playing a lot of was NHL Hitz 2003, I think it was.

I feel like I don't try enough things so I'm generally pretty open about giving new games/genres a try.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I like most genres

Most Card games (like Hearthstone) and QWOPlikes are about the only thing I don't like. Not real crazy about the mundane Work SImulator stuff either ( Farm Simulator etc)

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything with a J in front of it.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Puzzle games are boring!!!!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By nightriff

Fighting games. I really wish I enjoyed them more but I just don't have the patience or time to jump into one and really learn the game. Because of my situation, it makes zero since for me to purchase fighting games anymore.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pure simulators. I'm kinda okay with the simulator in name only games that just make a video game-ified version of the thing but the really intense stuff that Drew gets into... can't do it.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Racing games. MOBAs.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'm willing to give pretty much anything a try, but RTS and fighting games don't do much for me. Fighting games are at least fun to watch, but I don't really want to play with randoms and I don't really want to play against the CPU and I don't really have friends who play fighting games, so there's not much reason for me to invest time in the genre. As far as RTS's go, I generally like having as much time as I want to make my tactical decisions. I just don't enjoy the pressure of having to make a bunch of different decisions a minute because someone else is doing the same thing! I respect what the genre can do, it's just not for me. By extension, I probably won't ever be able to get into MOBAs. If I want something that puts a lot of pressure on me to react fast, I'll play Counter Strike.

Aside from some football demo ages ago, I've never even touched a sports game. I don't watch sports, don't know anything about the players, don't know anything about teams, don't know anything about terminology, and I don't really care enough about sports to learn about those things. It's kind of a prickly point for me, I don't have much interest in sports in general and people look at me like I'm completely weird and insane when I say that. I'm bringing that up because if I were to take the time to learn how to play a Madden or a Fifa game, I suspect I might actually enjoy them at least a little bit because of their mechanics and goals and stuff, but I just want less and less to do with sports as time goes by and there are far too many other things I'd rather spend my time on.

Nothing bores me more than Diablo and its ilk, though. Cool loot sounds great but they throw so much shit at you and those games rarely have interesting gameplay and the stories are almost as uninteresting, even when the world has a great aesthetic. I did like Torchlight 2 when I played it, but after I finished that it was like I was totally done with the genre.

On the flip side of this whole thing, I'm pretty much drawn towards shooters and RPG's any day of the week.

JayPB08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Fighting games, hack-and-slash (or the extremely dumb name - Character-Action), Driving, MOBAs, Card (unless it's Triple Triad)

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clickers.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

I think MOBA is the only genre where I have repeatedly tried and not been able to enjoy any of them. At least up until Smite on the Xbox One, so far I think it is alright enough to have played it through level 6.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Canteu

Sports (the single exception is NBA Jam), racing, visual novel bullshit (they're not even games), non games (walking simulators, gone home etc.) most adventure games and anything lacking mechanics that's just story focused.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horror games. Altough I love watching some people play them

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sports games and if the "Simulator" genre counts then that as well.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MMO's, simulation style games (sport sim and heavy racing sim games being the standouts in that genre that just straight up do nothing for me), most puzzle-centric games.

The way MMO's are designed and played just always end up at odds with me, I either get quickly tired of the general moment to moment gameplay, quest design, or hording for materials if an MMO decides to dip into that heavily. I could say MOBA's too, but I've never ever played one so I won't speak about the genre in blanket terms. Everything I've seen of the genre does not speak to me personally but I won't rule it out. It would probably take friends attempting to get me into one and giving me a helping hand to ever consider it though, jumping in cold on a MOBA is not on the top of my list of priorities.

I don't care for most mobile games either but I have enjoyed a few, namely Terra Battle and Fallout Shelter, but I tend to fall off mobile games quickly.

IceNDice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FIghting Games - Have been told many times that I am a button masher and they hate playing against me which I sort of understand. Most fighting games are not really story based either.

Sports Games - If I want to play sports then I would it in real life.

MMO's - I hate playing with other people just because I feel I have no control over the battlefield. I love single player games and I never once felt like playing a MMO was a good idea. Grinding for hours only to get a new level and a become stronger just to grind some more is not fun, its tedious and boring.

Opinions... opinions....

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My answer used to be JRPGs and then I found Persona 3 & 4 and realised I just didn't like Final Fantasy 7 & 8.

I don't play fighting games very much and when I do it's only ever against the AI. I can have some fun with Mortal Kombat but competitive fighting games is just no fun to me because I am bad at fighting games and don't have any inclination to improve.

MMOs never caught on with me. I bought Ultima Online when I was 16 because the idea was dope and then I realised you need a credit card so I could never actually play it. WOW missed me completely, the only ones I've spent any time with were Star Trek & The Old Republic. And even then I probably only put 50 hours into TOR but the grind got too much for me for the story stuff: I just wanted more story & less incessantly trying to level up. And one where I could just solo it. I wanted a KOTOR III.

FPS isn't something I'm overly fond of, again, I'm really bad at them so I don't enjoy the multiplayer, I've never adapted to analogue stick control as opposed to mouse, and I was always shitty at aiming for the head. So yeah, it's a genre I stay away from.

MOBAs just involve too much effort for me to get into them. If you have to spend hours to just become not a complete fucking idiot that's a bit unappealing for me. Glad it works for others but not for me.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Sports games, MOBAs, fighting games and MMOs

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting responses. It seems like the majority of answers are very gameplay-focused genres, and a lot of the issues people have are due to difficulty actually penetrating genres with competitive multiplayer scenes.

@icendice said:

Fighting Games - Have been told many times that I am a button masher and they hate playing against me which I sort of understand. Most fighting games are not really story based either.

When people tell you that, are you winning or losing? Because that sounds a lot like a certain type of bad fighting game player. The type that would call you a button masher, but, if accurate, would not adapt their play to deal with that in anyway, and instead just get angry and rant about how you're not playing 'properly' etc.

IceNDice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar: I am most likely winning because they are usually trying to pull of this good move by doing all the different combos while I am just tapping a button repeatedly and trying to kill them.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Card games, MMOs, JRPGs (generally, although exceptions exist) and "art" games.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any style of game were I'm not in full control of the protagonist apart from Xcom.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Multiplayer survival simulators (DayZ, Rust) do absolutely nothing for me. I'm not a huge fan of RTS games anymore either.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Puzzle games are pretty much the only genre i dont like.