• 124 results
Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

Puzzle platformers, point-and-click adventure games (would much rather watch Vinny play them), CCGs.

It's just struck me - those games require thinking. Something I'm obviously not good at...

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

MOBA, horror games and "bullet-hell" shooters.

Earthen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly souls ass souls games, or anything that leans heavily on my frustration gland. Being confused and mildly grumpy is how I live day to day, I need games to take that away from me!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Any game that relies on enjoying the meta level more than the actual game, CCGs and MMOs mostly. I'm heavily disinterested in realism, so simulators or games that emphasize feeling "real" is a no go.

I used to like shooters before they were all shit.

Anything else I mostly enjoy.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

MOBAs, MMOs, driving/racing games (with the sole exception of Burnout), sports games and point and click adventure games. With MOBAs and MMOs I just couldn't care less about the gameplay as it is all purely a time sink which I'm just not interested in anymore. Driving and racing games because I find them incredibly repetitively and boring. And point and clicks because it's less "puzzle solving" and usually more guess the hamfisted way in which the designer wants things to fold out and that's an exercise in frustration and lapsed logic.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Multiplayer gamers with strangers.

Which is extremely hard for anyone who doesn't suffer severe social anxiety to understand without a real good explination..which I can't give, so I'll steal the best one I've ever found, A piece written by Richard Cobbett called Hearthstone, Anxiety And Me

That pretty much sums up exactly the sort of games I don't/can't play, and why.

It means, for example. I am awful at Fighting games, FPS, Strategy and etc. I enjoy watching other people play them..but wouldn't dare jump into the arena myself.

Of course it also means I'm a massive RPG and single-player story-driven game fan.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

MMO, MOBA, Music/Rhythm, and Wrestling.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#58  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

MOBA, CCG's and fighting games I guess. At least since people keep making a point about Smash Bros which I do enjoy in short sessions not being a fighting game.

I have no interest at all in the way hardcore MMO players play MMO's, but I usually enjoy playing them as open world RPG's/exploration games for a few weeks at least, so I can't say I inherently dislike the genre, I just have no interest at all in grinding to the max level and playing endgame content with other people.

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By rflx

Fighting games and card games does nothing for me. There are many other genres, like platformers, that I don't like, but those have exceptions. Fighting games and card games have no exceptions.

AtomicPress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Multiplayer gamers with strangers.

Which is extremely hard for anyone who doesn't suffer severe social anxiety to understand without a real good explination..which I can't give, so I'll steal the best one I've ever found, A piece written by Richard Cobbett called Hearthstone, Anxiety And Me

That pretty much sums up exactly the sort of games I don't/can't play, and why.

It means, for example. I am awful at Fighting games, FPS, Strategy and etc. I enjoy watching other people play them..but wouldn't dare jump into the arena myself.

Of course it also means I'm a massive RPG and single-player story-driven game fan.

Oh man, I know that feeling so well. I tried to get into the DA:I multiplayer a few weeks back, had started to get the hang of it but eventually I had to quit. It was a lot of fun, but the feeling of letting people down (and constantly thinking, 'What if I'm really awful at this?', lmao) really got to me.

Besides that... Horror games. X)

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

RTS or any kind of large scale management sim. I really like the Sims but Sim City is the point where it's too much for me. I just don't like having to keep track of so many things.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@limond: League of Legends is the Chris Gaines of video games.

Heroes of the Storm is the Phillip Phillips of video games.

World of Warcraft is the Lynyrd Skynyrd of video games.

Guild Wars 2 is the Kid Rock of video games.

Please stop me

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By monetarydread

Visual Novels - I read at over 800 words a minute and every Visual Novel I have seen trys to do everything possible to prevent me from reading at a comfortable speed. They are usually filled with bullshit like printing out one letter at a time or a terrible clicking sound like they are trying to emulate a typewriter or something. Also, paying $40 for the privellege of, "playing," a novel that is most likely, "okay for genre fiction," in quality seems weird to me.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Bit of a non-answer, but I can't really think of one. I'll play anything. If someone put a gun to my head though, I'd probably say MOBAs? I didn't wanna bother constantly finding a pre-made stack so I played with randoms...which was usually a terrible idea. Long story short, I just got burnt out on the toxicity. If someone wasn't blowing up at someone in-game, I was sitting here getting angry at other shit people were doing and I realized it just wasn't healthy. I never actually took it out on anyone in-game, but still. I don't play games to be angry and miserable while playing so I took a step back from MOBAs. I'm definitely going to jump back in one day eventually because I truly don't have the genre or anything, but right now, I just have zero interest in playing one.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like competitive multiplayer games; I never feel compelled to compete with people in games so 'winning the game' doesn't do much for me.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOBAs are my kryptonite

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Fighting games. it's like trying to learn an instrument only 100x more convoluted. I don't see how people can memorize and actually execute those combos. the only one I like is Melee

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of all the different types of games JRPGs are the absolute worst especially the Final Fantasy kind... the dumb systems with turn based combat, boring characters and lame storylines and side quest.... Now I love Anime and some of the other unique titles that spring up out of Japan and oddly enough like the old gameboy pokemon blue/red and play persona on vita, but the love and nostalgia that people have for the long lame and pointless jrpg games is quite confusing to me......

capshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

While I've enjoyed my time with some of the early Soul Calibur games and the Super Smash Bros. series I've never spent much time with a "traditional" fighting game like Street Fighter or something in that vein; they all just seem a bit too complex or difficult to get into. I recently played through half of MK9's story mode but I'm kind of struggling through the fights to see just what it is about the story that had everyone here so excited in 2011.

For the most part the only genres I don't like are ones I haven't spent much time with. I've never tried to get invested in an RTS so I think they seem a bit too mechanically dense for me, I have no opinion on games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero since I somehow missed out on the plastic-instrument craze, and outside of Persona or Pokemon I haven't played other JRPGs. It's not that I have a strong hatred for any specific genres, it's more that there's a few that just haven't clicked with me yet.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By bceagles128

I usually play games when I want time away from other people so most multiplayer games and genres that rely heavily on multiplayer (fighting games, FPS, MMOs). The main exception to that is RTS, which I don't play a lot anymore but played a TON growing up (WC2/Starcraft/WC3).

PKB_Noitwont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really can't stand tower defense. Even in other genres that I'm not big on I can still find games I like. I have yet to find a tower defense game that I like.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#73  Edited By Jeldh

Point and click adventures. Im sorry, but they are objectively always dumb (or maybe I am).

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are many genres in which no/very few games have ever peeked my interest, but the only genre I expect no game will ever interest me no matter what is 'real' simulators like Farming Simulator.

mrasshat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any kind of music/rhythm game bores me to tears, i have tried all the classics but that genre does nothing for me, i was so happy once that guitar hero/rockband trend died down, it was killing my social life when everyone i knew just wanted to play rockband instead of hanging out and actually doing something fun, and every party during that time just turned into a bunch of people playing plastic instruments obsessively while those who where not into the game just got bored and left early.

lachrymoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything story-heavy and gameplay light. I have never enjoyed a story in a video game.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm personally getting very tired of first person shooters. At this point an FPS has to do something very novel or interesting for me to give a flip. I almost said "Modern Military Shooters" but then I realized that Halo, Destiny, Farcry etc have all become just as stale for me.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Ezekiel

I no longer enjoy hack and slash games. They're sterile. Hack and slash devs can make their combat as complicated as they like, but I still find the games shallow and boring for offering nothing else. I dislike fighting games for the same reason, and for letting you move in only two directions and usually having nothing in the arena. I want to jump and climb.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By GiantLizardKing

@lachrymoses said:

Anything story-heavy and gameplay light. I have never enjoyed a story in a video game.

While I can't say I never have enjoyed game story, I almost agree with this statement. On the Bombcast a few years ago a guy wrote in and said his friend was playing the new Tomb Raider and was skipping all the cut scenes and the guys thought anybody who would do such a thing was some kind of rube. They basically concluded he must just like blowing shit up over and over again and having new weapons with no context. My thought was "Well, this story is bad and I only have so much time. I'm going to skip this." My argument would be if the game doesn't amount to any more than those mechanics being strung together by a thin plot it isn't much of a game anyway.

Sorry for the tangent. :/ Had to get that one off of my chest.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't care for traditional sports games (mario gets a pass), car games (burnout gets a pass), MMO's and MOBAS. I really don't like the faceless, hateful, boring mass that is people on the internet, and I have very high levels of social anxiety. Competitive MP with anyone but my actual friends is pretty much a no-no because of that. I'll give almost anything at least a try though, and I play tons of games in most genres outside of the aforementioned.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Generally speaking I don't care for sports games or platformers. There are always exceptions of course.

I will say that in principle I enjoy MMOs and survival games but I just never have time to invest in them anymore so they kind of fall flat for me too.

dahlis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time I play a tower defense game I'm thinking "man, this game would be so good if it wasn't a tower defense game".

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#83  Edited By Brundage

Fighting games..

AdventFalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Most racing and fighting games, since they often go for extremely technical gameplay types.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

MOBA, MMO, MMORPG, and puzzle games are the ones I tend to shy away from since I do not enjoy them.

RiotControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#86  Edited By RiotControl

DOTA Clones. I literally couldn't imagine there being a more boring kind of gameplay system. It's basically an RTS where you control a single hero unit. Then the map design is often just as insanely boring and unimaginative as the gameplay. What blows my mind is that those complaints make perfect sense because it was a custom Warcraft 3 game and is completely acceptable, but new games with millions of dollars put into development use the exact same mechanics and designs a Warcraft 3 custom map had to use out of necessity! I mean, how the hell do they justify having the WC3 item shop in NEW games? I am interested in trying out Blizzard's new MOBA, though. They seem to have the right idea in leaving WC3's custom map design behind. What's disappointing is that none of my MOBA playing friends care to try it. I had to vent a little bit there since I have so many real life and internet friends who drag me into playing 30-40 minute long games that literally give me a headache.

That's the only genre I both understand and dislike. The others I've just never tried or given a real chance in hours played because I find them boring or unengaging based on videos and first impressions that I can't get past.

Those would be: JRPGs, trading card games, 4X/Grand strategy games, indie games that get a lot of gaming press attention/adoration (Almost without fail. Ex: Journey/Brothers), which is strange considering I do play many indie games. I've also never tried survival simulators, but that's mainly because it seems now that they've been popular for a while, all of the experienced players just want to PvP. Lastly, sports games. I can't stand to play any sports game. Another genre that literally gives me a headache when I get pushed into playing one.

I guess you could say I don't like games that have gameplay inspired by real life trading card games, board games or P&P games. Though I don't have an issue with old D&D based RPGs. I think that's because you can choose to play them in real time with non-tile based movement and positioning. In other words, the D&D system is hidden and gives the illusion of real-time like Baldur's Gate.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Canteu

@riotcontrol: You could have just said MOBA's like everyone else. You clearly don't understand the genre however, as you so claim. You'll be severely disappointed in HOTS with the complaints you leveraged above as that one is the most egregious of the bunch.

SymbolliC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@jjbsterling: Fyi runescape counts those hours for you now! I, too, have played more of that game than I'm willing to admit.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOBA's and JRPG's. I can't imagine anything much worse than having to play a Final Fantasy game.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sports games - I hate everything about them. Then again, that could be because I'm not really a sports fan irl, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Racing games - First, I don't hate all of them. It's just that it really has to click for me to enjoy it. The last game I liked was the first Need For Speed: Underground. Also, that "catch-up" bullshit that is implemented in so many of these games is infuriating. So, I drive perfectly for 2 out of three laps and it says I'm 20 sec ahead, I mess up once by tapping a guard rail, and the second place CPU flies passed me? What do they have warp drive on their cars? Or no matter how good you drive, the next CPU is always right behind you. This is one of main reasons I stopped playing these games. When if feels like you're always racing against cars that can utilize warp drive just in case you start doing too well, it stops being fun.

"Realistic" racing games - I felt like I needed to make this it's own category, because I've played racing games before and enjoyed them, but it's been a long time and I don't pursue them anymore. However, racers like Gran Turismo are an abomination as far as I'm concerned. I've never played anything as monotonous, tedious, and pointless as these types of games. I don't know how they managed to make a game you actually interact with more mind numbing than just watching it on TV.

Point and Click - I'm mainly including this because of the onslaught of PnC games that have been coming out recently. These include games like The Walking Dead, Stanley's Parable, The Wolf Among Us, Her Story, and the like. I realize these aren't all pure PnC style games, but they're all that heavy on the story, light on the gameplay style games that are all about driving the narrative forward. I'm all for a good story, but not at the cost of actually playing a game. I would actually rather just read or watch the story when it comes to these games than be bothered to waste my time muddling through them. My mantra when it comes to games has always been, "I can play a game with solid gameplay and a bad/no story, but I'm not going to bother playing a game with bad gameplay, regardless of how good the story is. If I can't actually PLAY the game and have fun, then there is no point of me even bothering, because I won't be enjoying myself, which is why I play games in the first place."

RTS games - I fully understand why people play them, and I myself love the idea of building up my forces and sending them into battle, all while implementing strategies and having to formulate new ones on the fly. However, I just don't like playing them. As much as I love the idea, I just can't get into them. I do, however, find myself watching good players play them. It can be pretty intense watching some of the best players face off in these games.

While there are other genres that I don't have any interest in, such as online survival simulators, MOBAs, or the straight up simulator games (Farming Simulator, EuroTruck, etc), I can't say anything directly bad about them, because I've never played them. I just know myself well enough to know that I probably won't enjoy them and don't want to waste my time.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Honestly, I can't think of a genre which doesn't have at least one standout game in it.

vrj_rrls_2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MMOs I just get bored fast

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fighting games, driving games, MOBAs, most sports games...

Avatar image for whiteforestparkrangr
WhiteForestParkRangr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heavily text-based/spreadsheet-style games. Stuff like "Football Manager 3000" or whatever the kids are into. That's pretty much it.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that's the most depressing thing I've ever read.

pirateogta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JRPG, FIghting, Sports

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#97  Edited By Justin258

@lachrymoses said:

that's the most depressing thing I've ever read.

I don't know, I can totally see someone just not liking video game stories. I'm frankly happy to see that there are still people out there who are into games for the gameplay. I do adore some video game stories but I also actually like playing those games, too. I really can't imagine playing a game that has a great story but bad gameplay.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

RPGs and MMO's mainly, and things similar to or borrowing elements from those. I don't like customization, or character classes, or leveling, or divergent paths, or sidequests, or collectibles, or randomization, and so on and so forth. I'm also not keen on medieval fantasy settings.

I'll do some of that stuff, as I did in Mass Effect, but I don't feel the game was better for having any of it.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Racing games. No matter how many AAA racing games I try I always get bored. To me they’re all just the same bland formula of moving forward and turning. I never feel like I am in an awesome race car that’s going at high speeds, it’s always more like playing a boring rhythm game. I enjoyed Blur and Burnout Paradise to a degree but they are more arcade titles.

Sports games. I don’t think I’ve ever played a sports game that I enjoyed. The thing is that you simply cannot recreate the feeling of playing a sport in a video game format and things like FIFA are just incredibly bland rhythm/timing games with no depth to me.

MOBAs. They are tons of fun when you get to play with your friends. Thing is, you do that maybe once a week, for like one hour or so. The rest of the games are agonizing attempts at playing a team game with total dicks that are never fun. The sheer amount of upkeep required and having to play the game a lot to not only get better but even stay at an average skill level proved to be too much for me when I was playing LoL and HotS.

Fighting games. No matter how long I try to memorize and learn combos and playstyles in training mode or battles against the AI I always crumble under the pressure of having to fluidly utilize them in competitive play and only manage to spew chains of basic 3 button combos and special attacks.

That’s about it I think. Aside from that there are genres that I generally don’t find appealing but I’ve played a couple of games from them that I’ve found fantastic (Civ V and XCOM EU in strategy, SC II in RTS, Ace Attorney in adventure games). The afromentioned genres will never appeal to me I think because of the core principles inherent in their design.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely MMOs. I'm not big into RTS, JRPG, character action or fighting games, but all of those have at least one exception. I have never gotten into any MMO.