What game has (or will) delivered the most in terms of the "next-gen gaming" experience?

elflaconeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By elflaconeri

I know this is kind of a recurring conversation but hey, it's always good to revisit.

I don't play very many games anymore but I remember looking at the trailers for Titanfall, Watch Dogs, The Division, No Man's Sky, and Evolve in the lead up to the launch of the PS4 and Xbone, and thinking that next-gen gaming was going to be amazing, not just in the graphical upgrades, but in the innovations of interactivity, gameplay mechanics/styles, and the sheer level of detail it promised that was shaping up to be unlike anything we'd seen before.

Now? For some reason The Division has lost a lot of its appeal to me (somehow I don't think those RPG-style damage numbers registered with me until recently? ). By all accounts, Watch Dogs turned out to be very underwhelming. I do think Evolve delivered on its concept well but also that it suffered from being too available before launch. On top of all that, a lot of the games that seem the coolest to me over the past couple years are smaller/indie titles like Ori and the Blind Forest, Crypt of the NecroDancer, Helldivers, Hyper Light Drifter, etc. that could surely run on an older console. Heck, they even ported Titanfall to the 360.

So, what games have really delivered that next-gen experience? Anything you expect that will? Something that couldn't feasibly be realized on previous platforms without sacrificing the essence of the game... MGSV, maybe? Quantum Break? Nidhogg?!?

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By damodar

I'd say that's fairly hard to really answer. I guess Shadow Of Mordor excluded the Nemesis system from the previous gen versions, but that might have had nothing to with whether it was technically feasible and could have just been a marketing decision to push people to the newer versions.

Perhaps the number crunching in No Man's Sky to generate that content on the fly would have been too much for the old systems, but again, it's hard to say.

I think the thing you hit on is that the new consoles allow for finer details than the older ones and so I guess it comes down more to whether that extra layer of granularity is what makes an experience work. One of the big difference to remember between the new systems and the old ones is the amount of memory available. I think they've both got 16 times the RAM of their predecessors and that would afford them the ability to do stuff the old ones couldn't, but it might be less obvious stuff. I can't really verify this, but I remember reading something said by somebody at Capcom about how the memory limitations of those consoles stopped them from having GGPO rollback-style netcode in Street Fighter 4 or other 3D fighting games. No idea how accurate that statement was, but the only games on consoles last gen with rollback netcode that I'm aware of were 2D. Now, Street Fighter V has it, and Mortal Kombat X has had it patched in. Could be some truth in that.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The concept of "next gen" has been completely blurred as the industry as a whole. As concepts such as graphical fidelity started bringing lesser and lesser gameplay returns - as well as the dramatic shift of allowing independent developers into the major markets - it, as a concept, has started to die.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im waiting for e3 this year. im really hoping there are major announcements around then on what developers are going to be going all in on. its been a few years with the technology im hoping this is where the systems hit their full stride! i think that horizons game looks pretty cool but i have limited info on gameplay for that but robot dinosaurs sounds sick as hell! really hoping that R* blows our minds soon as well. im starting to decrease my expectations for ubisoft and ea,they just arent exciting me at all. but maybe division will intrigue me a bit.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I feel like I'll get that feeling with Uncharted 4.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Man's Sky. That game has the potential to be truly special

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think the JackBox Party pack, as weird of a choice as it is, really shows off what's been going on this generation and is definitely a game (bundle of games) that could have occurred in the previous generation. It taps in so well with the streaming phenomenon, into multiple devices interacting with one another, getting people together with super simple design. It's not something people will think of when they think this gen, but it has to be an important part of gaming history, even though it'll be overshadowed by other, "bigger" releases.

Rocket League is another game that only could have gotten it's fanfare because current gen. Being free on PS+ really help put that game on the map. And to have it be soooo good? That's so crazy. The polish is nuts.

Finally, just Nintendo being it's own thing. HD Mario Kart? Awesome. Smash game with DLC? They did it very well (for the most part). SUPER MARIO MAKER?! How else would that game have come to existence without the WiiU? Smart move. Nintendo is just showing how much of a craft games are to them.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That kind of structure for advances in game ambition is gone man, it's just marketing shit now. If, after four years, you get a new powerful PC are you expecting "next gen" PC games? No. You get access to stuff that is more technically demanding, can support more frills and run things better. You are also generally prepared for what might come out over the next four years.

There is no bump other than presentation, but as games advance slowly you have the box you need to move up right with them. ta-daa, consoles.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By Jinoru

Anyway, the games that have taken advantage of newer hardware in interesting ways, which is what I take you to mean by "next-gen gaming", lately to me have been Shadow of Mordor with the persisting Nemesis system and No Man's Sky's procedural generation of everything. Some might say The Witcher 3 but I wouldn't know. MGSV: The Phantom Pain did a lot of interesting things as well, even having the engine scale down to older hardware is great too.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rafaelfc

Sadly the most recurring features of the current gen have been broken games, poor performance, bad ports, lacking features...

There has been compromises in almost every game, and turning on my PS4 to play new games I never felt like I was getting the premiere experience, I felt like a second class citizen and deep regret for not investing more heavily in a gaming PC.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess the only thing that I've found to be really novel in terms of systems was Shadow of Mordor (as other people have said). Story-wise I'd have to say the Witcher is standing head and shoulders above any other RPG I've played. Beyond that I don't know really. If they pull of No Man's Sky I think it could be something truly innovative but until I get my hands on it I can't be sure.

What I really want to see are improvements to AI and some innovative new systems because I think games have really stagnated in a lot of ways. The places where I see the real innovation is always in the fringes, games like Papers Please or Crusader Kings are where the interesting work is being done. I don't want more graphics, I just don't care about them any more.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

Sadly the most recurring features of the current gen have been broken games, poor performance, bad ports, lacking features...

There has been compromises in almost every game, and turning on my PS4 to play new games I never felt like I was getting the premiere experience, I felt like a second class citizen and deep regret for not investing more heavily in a gaming PC.

Seems you've been going for the wrong games, or the right games at the wrong time. I got a PS4 3 months ago and its been a great experience. Been enjoying Bloodborne more than most of the games I own on PC, which I mainly use for Trackmania and QuakeWorld now a days with school and other real life things owning my time. I have dabbled with some of those highly lauded games GB talked about during GotY etc on PC but I'm pretty androgenous when it comes to what I play on.

I get the feeling of being a "second class gamer" but it needn't be so. Apply some patience and things refine over time, whatever platform you're on, for better or worse, depending on personal taste.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

Few games really make me go "woah" in that regard. I'm more likely to be impressed by something like Ori and its gorgeous art design than something like Witcher which is technically gorgeous. The one game that has really made me go "woah" so far was Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's not just that it looks great, but how gorgeous the artwork is in general and also how well the game performs. Even on the XBox One that game is gorgeous and runs mostly like a dream save one or two sections. On PC, it blows even Witcher 3 away in the visuals department and the load times on a reasonably high end PC are non-existent. It kind of hits all those notes as to what you picture a high-end game that is pushing boundaries.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Dwarf Fortress

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss

@arabes said:

I guess the only thing that I've found to be really novel in terms of systems was Shadow of Mordor (as other people have said).

I agree. I'm excited to see the future of Nemesis System inspired ideas.

Some of the junk they're showing off for Crackdown 3 looks pretty crazy too - but I'll wait and see how that pans out first.

I'm also currently being impressed by PvZGW2's nigh-Pixar quality art and graphics.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Persona 5

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing, really. This generation of hardware hasn't done anything to justify its own existence. All we've gotten is slightly (and I mean ever so slightly) prettier versions of games we've played before. Couple that with busted or at best, inferior versions of multiplatform games. And now you already have Microsoft talking about a hardware revision. If I knew that this gen was going to be this bad I would have sat it out completely. I don't think you'll see anything truly next-gen until VR does something great.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This gen? Zero so far.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rafaelfc

@jinoru said:
@rafaelfc said:

Seems you've been going for the wrong games, or the right games at the wrong time. I got a PS4 3 months ago and its been a great experience. Been enjoying Bloodborne more than most of the games I own on PC, which I mainly use for Trackmania and QuakeWorld now a days with school and other real life things owning my time. I have dabbled with some of those highly lauded games GB talked about during GotY etc on PC but I'm pretty androgenous when it comes to what I play on.

I get the feeling of being a "second class gamer" but it needn't be so. Apply some patience and things refine over time, whatever platform you're on, for better or worse, depending on personal taste.

I am a console gamer first and foremost, and am completely baffled by the quality of the multiplatform releases on the PS4. To me the devs and publisher's perspective seems to be "aw, screw it, it runs well on PC. Just get these console versions out the door ASAP" and it's been disheartening seeing some games that should have zero issues running on a PS4 performing really shoddily (Grow Home has framerate issues ffs).

And while I agree with you that Bloodborne is a great game. Even it being a PS4 exclusive (theoretically optimized solely for the platform) it has frame pacing/stuttering issues that were never addressed.

There is fun to be had for sure. But these consoles as a "next gen" experience to me, have been a let down.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As an entire package, Forza 6 probably represents the best example. Driving with the impulse triggers (especially in rain that actually models bogging down in puddles and hydroplaning) against 24 racers is a vastly superior experience to any racing game from the previous generation or before, and the game certainly looks the part as well. I could make a good argument for Horizon 2 as well based on the sheer size/detail/beauty of the game's open world. In terms of pure visuals, Rise of the Tomb Raider is the game that's given me the the most "wow" moments of any next-gen title. Shout out to Bloodborne as well for showing us what a Souls game could look like all prettied up. GTA V was also obviously way better on this generation than the last if you want a stark difference between two versions of the same game.

Let's further acknowledge what's now possible with multiplayer. Star Wars: Battlefront deserves some real credit here. When some X-wing comes blazing out of the sky and plows into an AT-ST as lasers abound from cross-map firefights, the fact that it that looks like some scripted cinematic while actually being multiplayer gameplay between 40 different people is impressive. I'd also throw in Titanfall, which remains criminally underrated as a game that looks great, plays well, and features giant robot fisticuffs while a bunch of people wall-run and jetpack off buildings and shit. Again, pretty damn cool stuff. This is a level of scale that we only recently dreamed contained single-player environments could be, and it's now a reality in online multiplayer.

Frankly, we sound like spoiled shits when we ho-hum things that would have absolutely blown us away a few short years ago. The problem is that the hype and excitement happens well before the games actually come out, so when they're actually released, it's not impressive anymore and people don't appreciate it. Look at The Division, Watch_Dogs, Titanfall, etc. These are games that a bunch of people were/are "disappointed" in. Yet I guarantee that if you could take any of those games back to before they were ever revealed and demoed the retail product to people in 2010 or so, everyone would have been going apeshit over how awesome the next generation will be (just as they were when these games were announced). Except now that we actually get games like this, we act like they're crap.

In the near future, we've got No Man's Sky coming to potentially deliver scale that's basically unheard of, and Crackdown 3 is purported to be on an all-new level in terms of what's even possible to compute. Here are your clear frontrunners to be the next titles everyone's "disappointed" with. For some reason, we all squeal like little girls over E3 trailers for a game and then act all affronted about how much of a letdown that same game is when we actually get it. It's like people prefer the concept of amazing video games to actually having amazing video games. We're perpetually disappointed, even though games are clearly better than ever. Heaven forbid we actually appreciate anything.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427: I respectfully disagree. Most of your examples are games with good graphical fidelity, but I don't think they make much of an impression beyond that. At least, not much more of an impression than their direct predecessor already made.

Big budget console games are increasingly falling back on the same game design and just making it prettier. Once some game design standards got established in the PS2 and 360 generations, Western devs have mostly stuck with them, while Japanese devs retreat from console in favour of lower risk handheld and mobile games. It's increasingly rare that someone debuts a game that ups the ante in the way that Assassin's Creed did, or has some clever mechanic like Dead Space's dismemberment. Hopefully No Man's Sky and Crackdown 3 live up to those expectations, since so many other big budget games are more of the same.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By notnert427

@bisonhero said:

@notnert427: I respectfully disagree. Most of your examples are games with good graphical fidelity, but I don't think they make much of an impression beyond that. At least, not much more of an impression than their direct predecessor already made.

Big budget console games are increasingly falling back on the same game design and just making it prettier. Once some game design standards got established in the PS2 and 360 generations, Western devs have mostly stuck with them, while Japanese devs retreat from console in favour of lower risk handheld and mobile games. It's increasingly rare that someone debuts a game that ups the ante in the way that Assassin's Creed did, or has some clever mechanic like Dead Space's dismemberment. Hopefully No Man's Sky and Crackdown 3 live up to those expectations, since so many other big budget games are more of the same.

I'll respectfully disagree with that. I'm not sure it's really fair to penalize games simply for being part of a series if they make major strides over the previous version. If you want me to detail how Forza 6 capitalized where Forza 5 didn't, why Rise of the Tomb Raider is a much better game than the 2013 reboot, etc., I can, but you might have touched on the reason here why people are apathetic. Improvement is mostly an incremental process, so people expecting huge leaps are bound to be disappointed. However, taking a step back to really consider where games are at now vs. early in this gen (and especially compared to last-gen) makes the improvements fairly obvious.

And isn't "making it prettier" a large part of the idea? Hell, to some PC gamers, it often seems like the only thing. Yet when new consoles do that and put the previous generation to shame, the response is "meh"? I don't buy into that. Also, if you're looking for new game design, Shadow of Mordor and its nemesis system has been mentioned here, which apparently couldn't be accomplished on prior systems. The latest Hitman game's Paris level is six times the size of Absolution's biggest level. Forza Horizon 2's 360 version lacked some core features like full damage, tuning, drivatars, weather effects, etc., as that game clearly hit some serious limits in terms of the last-gen trying to keep up. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that there's plenty of evidence of games doing more than ever in terms of not just better graphics, but what features games can have now that they previously couldn't.

If you want to discuss why game designers don't take as many risks as they used to, that's a different discussion about the business side of gaming and perceived marketability, not an indictment on the current generation of consoles.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Just saw this gig over on Neogaf from Uncharted 4

No Caption Provided

If that is in engine, that is mos def next gen animation. Wow!

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess one good example is Shadow of Mordor, they said they couldn't get the Nemesis System in on the 360 and PS3 versions because it required too much processing power. That was a pretty neat, at-least-somewhat-next-gen system.

However, I think it's quite clear what the real issue is here: XB1 and PS4 are woefully underpowered and really introduced almost nothing else substantial over the previous gen. Which also holds back pretty much every PC game as well, since almost every game has multiple ports these days.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@driadon said:

The concept of "next gen" has been completely blurred as the industry as a whole. As concepts such as graphical fidelity started bringing lesser and lesser gameplay returns - as well as the dramatic shift of allowing independent developers into the major markets - it, as a concept, has started to die.

I think in VR there is potential for this kind of thing, but yeah I agree. 3D stuff, in basic, was being done on the PS2 and it's just gone from there.

For me the biggest game that felt like it was using the power and scale the most is Witcher 3, but that's just taking things further. I was blown away by how much it combined open world games and RPGs without sacrificing either part.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@novis said:

I think the JackBox Party pack, as weird of a choice as it is, really shows off what's been going on this generation and is definitely a game (bundle of games) that could have occurred in the previous generation. It taps in so well with the streaming phenomenon, into multiple devices interacting with one another, getting people together with super simple design. It's not something people will think of when they think this gen, but it has to be an important part of gaming history, even though it'll be overshadowed by other, "bigger" releases.

Ah this is actually a really interesting answer.

I actually bought a couple of friends of mine this game as a gift when they just recently bought an Xbox after being out of the gaming loop since the N64. They're both in their 40's. They like board games and stuff like Cards Against Humanity so I figured it'd be fun. Hadn't played it personally but of course I've seen it here on Giant Bomb.

They are OBSESSED with the game. They are blown away by the ease of it, the smart phone integration, and how it combines that board game feeling with their console. They were playing other stuff but for a while now their Xbox has just become a Jackbox machine. You make good points about that in your post but just thought I would provide a real example. These are two guys that can play videogames but for example, struggle with GTA V's controls some and in general the "two stick" set up for many games. But they are blown away by how easy Jack Box is and how much it feels like taking that board game/party game idea forward with technology.

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah this is actually a really interesting answer.

I actually bought a couple of friends of mine this game as a gift when they just recently bought an Xbox after being out of the gaming loop since the N64. They're both in their 40's. They like board games and stuff like Cards Against Humanity so I figured it'd be fun. Hadn't played it personally but of course I've seen it here on Giant Bomb.

They are OBSESSED with the game. They are blown away by the ease of it, the smart phone integration, and how it combines that board game feeling with their console. They were playing other stuff but for a while now their Xbox has just become a Jackbox machine. You make good points about that in your post but just thought I would provide a real example. These are two guys that can play videogames but for example, struggle with GTA V's controls some and in general the "two stick" set up for many games. But they are blown away by how easy Jack Box is and how much it feels like taking that board game/party game idea forward with technology.

Exactly what I mean. The amount of enjoyment go gained from a game made you keep going back. A lot of the Big Games are usually fun for a single playthrough and not much else. A lot of the CONTENT in those games are mostly fluff and there to make it seems big. Jackbox is simple to pick up and play. Everyone knows how to use a controller and press a single button. Everyone knows how to use their cell phone. Jackbox Party Pack is an EVERYONE game. And that where the money has been, and always be, at. It's a trendsetter.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I think the hardest things is that this current gen is such a clear gradual progression from prior gens rather than a huge leap (especially in terms of graphics). So no game has really felt truely "next gen", but then, I don't know what "next gen" is meant to feel like. There have been some cool improvements and implementations of things, but no huge leaps.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427: In regards to what would feel next gen, incremental improvements without any real novelty or innovation don't make the cut.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The preposterous scale and depth of the Witcher 3.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing this gen. The Xbox 1 and PS4 are just transitional so far. They are stronger than the 360/PS3, but only enough for better graphics. We aren't gonna see a Fable game where every NPC has its own personality/daily routine.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's ar eal shame that most people consider 'next gen' to mean better graphics. I don't know if it's that expectation that makes games devs focus on graphics or if it the relative ease of graphical improvements on better hardware that has conditioned the user base to see that as the best move.

Give me new systems and new ideas. Improve AI, create a world for me. Someone up above said Dwarf Fortress (maybe as a joke ;) ) but I think they're right. That game is amazing and does things so few others attempt. It would never be made by a commercially motivated dev but it shows a path games can take if no one gives a sit about how they look. I want something that redefines what games can do. Not Uncharted 4 - now even prettier but you still just press in a direction until you hit a cut scene or have to kill 50 people.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

It feels like the console generation leap has died way down. If you would to look at something like Metal Gear Solid, you can easily say MGS2 can't run on a PS1, and MGS4 couldn't run on a PS2. But then you have MGSV, a game that came out 2 years after the PS4 launch and it is able to run on a PS3. (That version of the game looks awful, but it's the same game) There are other examples that go against this--like I doubt The Witcher 3 could run on the older systems, and it took 3 Call of Duty's before the campaign was dropped from the older versions--but developers haven't kicked those old systems to the curb yet like they probably should have.

With how PC gaming has taken off, that's just how it's going to be. You can always throw in a graphics card that costs $1,000, have a processor that costs almost as much as the console, etc. It felt like PS3/360 era we sort of reached the peak of gaming. We have plenty of examples from super pretty, linear games to sandboxes to simulations to games that capture scale, etc. Anything new really has to come from design or mechanics, since it is impossible for the consoles to take a leap forward ahead of what you could do on a PC. With the power behind those consoles and what is capable on the PC, it feels like the console generation is holding things back more than taking that next giant leap forward.

...But to answer your question, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor was the freshest game I've played this generation, while Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain has been the best game I've played since this generation started.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're into a generation where the boxes you own can output streaming video which, in turn can allow you to stream gameplay. Whilst on the periphery, multi-dollar corporations are gearing up for VR headset releases.

As tech, its looking pretty sweet. Software suffers because the stakes are so damn high. Graphics are probably as good as it'll get unless 4K catches on and, if it does, that pushes the cost of art assets up to a terrifying degree. Animation's looking pretty neat in inFamous and Tomb Raider's case.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Shadow of Mordor is a good choice, but I was actually impressed with teh FIRST PS4 game I bought Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag. Not only was AC4 the best game in the series ...bar none...it was also the leastAssassins's Creedy of the bunch. The ship, the water, the sea like, teh storms, teh sea shanties your sailors sang...it was wondrous on next gen. I had an absolute ball with AC4 and ist was pretty for a game three years ago.

I've actually been rather please with teh stories in some of teh games we got this generation too. Life Is Strange and The Witcher were pretty darn good games with well told stories...in my opinion. Telling a better story that has been showing up mostly in the Triple-I space is no small leap in my opinion. I think many of the huge failures this generation like Destiny and Watch_Dogs happened because they have TERRIBLE stories...or at least terrible story telling mechanisms. In fact I think TC:The Division is the FIRST time in three years that Ubisoft has actually put a decent story -that works within the framework of game play- in one of their games.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If it'll deliver on everything it sets out to do: Star Citizen strikes me as a game that can potentially be revolutionary by seamlessly integrating multiple systems in a massive in-game world (granted that I imagine that there are other space sims with non-ship related combat out there), while almost everything in this generation so far just seems evolutionary.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most games this gen have been up-res'd versions of last gen game types. I dont see much difference besides graphics. Maybe stuff like the nemesis system in mordor or other logic and ai based systems, but nothing really game changing so far.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it can't be MGSV no matter what because that game was on 360 and PS3 without sacrificing any gameplay mechanics.

Of games I've actually played, it's probably Shadow of Mordor like people have said, given that the nemesis system was only on the newer gen versions. But in terms of experiences, there hasn't really been anything outstanding this generation. In terms of graphics things definitely look better, although the leap hasn't been big.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EthanielRain

For me it's still The Last of Us on PS4; I think the next Uncharted & Mass Effect will be the ones that make you go "WOAH O_O" for the first time in a while.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it'll deliver on everything it sets out to do: Star Citizen strikes me as a game that can potentially be revolutionary by seamlessly integrating multiple systems in a massive in-game world (granted that I imagine that there are other space sims with non-ship related combat out there), while almost everything in this generation so far just seems evolutionary.

I do wonder if they've made a rod for their own back with their multi-million crowdfunding campaign. What could possibly live up to the price tag and the time spent waiting for that?

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arabes said:

Someone up above said Dwarf Fortress (maybe as a joke ;) ) but I think they're right. That game is amazing and does things so few others attempt.

I'm 100% serious. I get the Shadow of Mordor answers but, as much as I like that game and think Monolith has done some of the best things with AI in AAA games, the Nemesis System pales in comparison to the systems in Dwarf Fortress.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

MGS5 was the first game I played that made me feel like "This is next gen" but that came out on 360 so it doesn't really count.

I played Witcher 3 soon after that, and that had an even bigger impact. it was really impressive graphically, and the size and scope seemed way beyond the PS360 hardware. I loved losing myself in that world. So I'll say Witcher 3.

There were some games before that which were impressive graphically but kind of slight. Infamous SS, watchdogs, shadow of mordor. Also the PS4 port of GTA5 was really impressive, but that shouldn't count.

Looking forward, obviously No Mans Sky could be incredible, and Uncharted 4

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killzone, Infamous, and Unity all felt pretty next-gen.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By geirr

I found how they animated fingers in inFamous: Second Son to be pretty cool at the time. Sadly no game has done as nice a job since that I can think of. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End will hopefully continue this tradition, or even expand on it, meanwhile toes continue to be stiff and lifeless.

MGSV was a ton of fun but didn't break any new ground graphically or AI wise. Witcher 3 didn't look too special (to me) when it finally arrived. Some of the facial animations in Until Dawn during cutscenes were great but it didn't transfer to the in-game as well.

Mario Maker is an amazing next-gen thing for Nintendo however!

Oh and I kinda felt PT looked incredible and had me hoping for a little while..

GStats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GStats

Probably ironically Xenoblade X. That's just so much more epic a world than anything else I've seen in games. I dare to think of how much better it'd have been on the PS4.

Beyond that, I expect Uncharted and No Man's Sky will make waves. I also expect Zelda U will push some boundaries.

wonderva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA 5.

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#50  Edited By bassguy

Just from a graphical fidelity standpoint, Infamous: Second Son was that for me. It didn't do anything from a design/mechanical angle that was impossible on last gen, but it looked really good when it launched. Definitely a big step-up from the 360/PS3 era.

Outside of "there's more/slightly better AI," most AAA games don't push the design/mechanical side of things very often.