What game series do think has reached it's peak and can never be topped?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I been thinking and playing alot of old games and looking back I think there are just some games in a franchise that just hit at the right time that can never be out done where everything just fell into place what games do you think done this? here's my list.

• Resident Evil 4, although I enjoyed 7 I feel RE4 is impossible to beat the shooting mechanics and setting really made this game something special.
  • Battlefield 2, I feel this game had the best maps and teamwork the pacing of this game was practically perfect. I don't like what this series has become it's to arcadey for me now I prefer slower pace and more teamwork.
  • Max Payne 2, the gameplay and physics where such a huge step forward from the first game. I love the original Max Payne but the gameplay improvements made the sequel so much more enjoyable.
  • Mortal Kombat 2 although I think UMK3 has the better gameplay MK2 had the best new characters, stages and fatalities this is probably my favorite game of the 90's.
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By liquiddragon

I think pretty much all of them. Most series, if it's anything to write home about get it right the 1st or the 2nd time I think. Old franchises are chasing the glory days and making money as long as possible.

On the other hand, Crackdown seems like a series that had potential that'll never be fulfilled. Assassin's Creed also had so much promise but it never even came close I don't think. Still, they've both reached their peak.

Newer ones like Destiny and Evil Within will get better.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Newer ones like Destiny and Evil Within will get better.

I'm skeptical. Resident Evil fell apart after Mikami left. 5, 6 and Revelations were mediocre, and 7 is just bland and generic. Mikami isn't directing The Evil Within 2. The guy who's directing it made the two Kidman DLCs, which weren't as good as the main game. I want the sequel to be great. I already ordered a key off a third party site, even though I never pre-purchase games anymore.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Super Metroid, but you could still make the 3rd best game ever and slap Metroid on it; kind of like Metroid Prime even if that's 5th or 6th.

Resident Evil can go so many directions aside from trying to be RE4, you're not going to get better than RE4 but you can certainly get better than RE1/2/3 etc; which would be a peak in a different sense.

rizbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fifa soccer games.

its like they reached the peak, now all they can do at best is make the graphics better but still the gameplay is the same

nah i think resident evil is like the movies they always got another storyline and users love to follow the new ones

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mikemcn

Sim City 4? That game perfected city management, EA itself has failed to make a proper sequel and even indie efforts like City Skylines, fail to work-in the level of depth found in 4.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None. Anything can always get better. Even something perfect like Tetris can be improved with better graphics and music.

A lot of series have probably peaked and WILL never be topped but there's potential there for anything.

MK2 is a really weird choice. I owned it on SNES and played a TON of it but...MK9 and MKX are better. Better looking, much more variety, smoother playing, etc. I may like MK2 better due to nostalgia, but it's not the peak of the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

COD. Everything after COD4 has not really added much.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sinusoidal

I don't think there are any that can't be topped, but plenty that are highly unlikely to be topped. Final Fantasy immediately comes to mind since they've sucked balls for a decade now and Square's creative direction has gone places there's no returning from anymore. Maybe if they handed the franchise over to someone else, something good might come of it again, but that will likely never happen. Borderlands seems to have also run its course.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect. Either from 1 or 2, that series peaked early and Bioware has been chasing that tail ever since.

Fallout: New Vegas is another title that comes to mind. I don't doubt another good Fallout game might come out, but to hit the high standards NV set would be a tremendous goal.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By frymillstrum

The first thing that came to mind for me was Uncharted. 3 was a fantastic installment and while I haven't played all of 4 it did seem somewhat redundant to me.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call of Duty?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Crash Bandicoot 2, it was by far the best in the series and hit the perfect sweet spot of tight platforming, tons of secrets, and just enough variety.

spacegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with @bigsocrates here. I do believe there is always something that can be done better no matter how simple a game is. Some of my favorite series has been more or less at stagnant state but I still have faith that the team will do something incredible at some point in future.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age: Origins

Tony Hawk 3

SSX 3

Resident Evil 4

Uncharted 2

Halo 3

Mass Effect 2

Assassins Creed II

Saints Row 3

Paper Mario 2

I would say COD 4, but Black Ops puts up a solid fight.

Tiger Woods 04 was killer. No golf title since has felt right.

I don't think any NFL game will top NFL 2K5

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock 1

Assasins creed 2

Uncharted 2

Need for speed underground 2

Arkham asylum

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Them there Silent Hills.
So long as they are in the hands of Konami anyways I suppose.
I'm actually a fan of the majority of the games, but I never felt like they got any better than 2 or 3, and some got considerably worse.

@burncoat said:

Fallout: New Vegas is another title that comes to mind. I don't doubt another good Fallout game might come out, but to hit the high standards NV set would be a tremendous goal.

I'd want nothing more than Obsidian to have another stab at it, as long as it is in the hands of Bethesda we wont get another one like NV that's for sure, but if Beth let Obsidian do for 4 what they let them do for 3, I'd at least be optimistic.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#19 fisk0  Moderator

Probably just about all of them. I still wish they'd give Command & Conquer, Dune and Wing Commander another shot though.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly? I'm scared Persona 5 is the pinnacle of that type of game. Other than some better writing at times and more hang out with your friends events, I don't see that game getting any better. I don't know what Persona 6 is gonna be, and writing Persona 6 killed me a little inside

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

DMC 3. I'm not one of those people who hated the reboot but DMC 3 was the only game in the series that had good boss fights that were actually fun to play. The others had cool spectacle sequences that were more in the vain of God of War "Hey look! That thing's big! Better avoid it's hand!" Which is fine, but not that fun nor that challenging.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duke Nukem. I just cannot see how anything could top Duke 3D. That franchise peaked early and hard.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty solid lists. I'm gonna put one out there that might be controversial.

Zelda.

For the longest time(since windwaker) fans have wanted an open world Zelda. Nintendo being Nintendo ignored their fans and tried to do something other than the obvious play. So we got Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword both regarded as lesser Zelda titles. Finally in 2017 Nintendo put out the exploration focused Zelda that most of wanted and it was fucking amazing.

The question is, where do they go from here? Make the open world bigger? Make the physics systems more intricate? Various other incremental changes? There doesn't seem to be an obvious path forward to the next big thing that will revolutionize the series.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

@burncoat said:

Mass Effect. Either from 1 or 2, that series peaked early and Bioware has been chasing that tail ever since.

This, nothing will ever come close to Mass Effect 2 or the impact the original Mass Effect had on my life at the time. I don't see Bioware spending the manpower or the money to create a meaningful successor especially after Andromeda.

Also KOTOR comes to mind after thinking about Bioware in general. The stuff they're doing with The Old Republic is good but no where near as good as the original series was.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Suikoden peaked pretty hard with 2, but 5 was pretty amazing and I respect what 3 tried to do. Saying it can't be topped though is a stretch, especially if the franchise went to another developer with the smarts to understand what made that series great while implementing modern design choices about save points, leveling, and making more of the characters relevant and interesting.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Far Cry. Vaas was one cool motherfucker, and Blood Dragon was a pretty awesome surprise.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By glots

@facelessvixen said:

Far Cry. Vaas was one cool motherfucker, and Blood Dragon was a pretty awesome surprise.

I'd say that a new Far Cry that has a cool villain andactually gets them more involved with the story would be an improvement. The stories they told in 3&4 also didn't exactly grab me, so that's another thing. Maybe 5 will change all that, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think I'm also in the club that thinks how just about everything can be improved.

bhizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PUBG.

jk, but actually maybe serious.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Ehhh, I'll never say never. I do think it'll take a lot for me to feel about a new Uncharted as I do about Uncharted 2. 3 and 4 did a lot of things better than 2, and yet. AND YET.

But it's still possible! I woulda said nothing could beat Demon's Souls and then From was like "hey, so you like Lovecraft right? and you mostly dodge in these games? well lemme tell you about a game called Bloodborne."

Some things I'll say that are very likely done for me though: I don't really want to play another Hotline Miami game. Spiritual successor, oh absolutely. But it's hard to envision the insane thrill of that series and its story being surpassed by any manner of follow-up. Wolf Among Us? Yeah I'll play season 2, but season 1 was probably the best narrative experience I've had in any video game, so I'm not sitting here holding out hope that season 2's gonna top it. Portal 1? Also one of the best narrative experiences I've had in a game. Portal 2 did not top it. Left 4 Dead 1? I'll likely never get back the same sort of thrilling fear I had when I first played that game. When I loaded up 2 I was cautious, but not afraid. I was too familiar with the mechanics, the movement, and the shooting, such that what playing that game fundamentally was for me had completely changed.

These are mostly for personal reasons, but even then it's still possible that another game come out from any of these franchises and knock my socks off.