What games were you convinced to play as a result of the GB GOTY podcasts?

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By NeverGameOver

Although a lot of the discussion on these boards this time of year naturally takes the form of a reaction toward the site/staff GOTY lists, I usually find the true value in these discussions is that they help to direct me toward some of the best smaller/indie games that eluded my view from the prior year.

For example, I had a lot less time to play video games in 2018, so I ended up focusing my time almost exclusively on playing the big AAA titles. As a result, I completely missed a bunch of cool indies. After listening to the GOTY podcasts, I just bought the following:

• Donut County
  • Timespinner
  • The Messenger
  • Moonlighter

I'd never even heard of any of these games until they were brought up during the GOTY podcasts, and now I'm stoked to play them all. Thanks, GB staff!

And now to open it up for discussion, what games were you convinced to buy/play as a result of the GB GOTY podcasts?

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

Return of the Obra Dinn.

I had been close previously but this put me over the edge, I don't even care if they spoiled the hell out of it, I need to play it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Perhaps this is weird, being years after the initial release now, but I really want to try Rainbow Six Siege. The description of it being basically a GI Joe game sounds really fun.

Obra Dinn is definitely on my list now as well.

As is Exapunks??? I think??? Seems fascinating, at least.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I wasn't really convinced to play anything I hadn't played, but all the RDR2 discussions made me wanna go replay it. Probably a bit too soon though.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got kinda interested in Florence, but haven't bought it yet. I don't think there was anything otherwise that I wasn't at least mildly interested in already, like Obra Dinn.

But besides the podcasts, Alex's personal list made me finally buy Thumper for PSVR. I'm not sure how happy I am with my purschase, because I feel like the intensity of this game is going to give me a heart failure.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shiftygism

None, but I realized I have a lot more to go in Red Dead and even Spider-man where I was like 40% done and hadn't even met Jefferson Davis.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I was thinking about this just last night. It’s weird, but usually the GOTY podcasts get into spoilers and make me NOT want to play (What Remains of Edith Finch), or they’re all about gameplay and I check the game out but don’t fall for it nearly as hard as the crew (Thumper, Crypt of the Necrodancer).

I dug those last two games, I did like them, but my backlog is SO massive that I just haven’t been able to dedicate more than 2-3 hours to them.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@shiftygism: I’m stunned and impressed. Davis does up in a super-early story mission; so early it was part of the site’s Quick Look! I have to assume you have a dedication to side missions/crimes/collectibles that is, again, really impressive.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Obra Dinn, which even with how much praise it got they still undersold the game. I'll pick up Florence in the near future as well.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

Into the Breach for sure. Might pick up Obra Dinn as well.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Cells had gave me a thought to pick up the game and try it out.

citan359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chuchel - Had went to check it out on Steam and saw it had gotten review bombed because they made a small change to the game to make it a better experience for a small subset who had some issues with it.... so I bought it immediately cause good on them. My daughter enjoyed watching it and its got some great moments. Still not in love with point and clicks though.

Florence - Tried it, did absolutely nothing for me. Had my wife try it, did nothing for her... ah well. We are highschool sweethearts with no big emotional upsets in the past, not for us.

Obra Dinn - The overwhelming shoutouts to it in guest lists and GB rankings made me pick it up and skip all the spoiler sections of the deliberations... looks cool, looking forward to diving into it.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Northgard. I remember watching the quicklook and thinking it looked neat. Once Alex started talking about it again I grabbed it on sale on steam.

Also picked up Slay the Spire after seeing it on a few guest lists, but haven't tried it.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

I picked up Donut County. Idk if it’s just me but I’m not seeing how this game is good at all. I agree with Dan, I don’t think it’s really that funny and the gameplay is uninteresting.

I also got Into the Breach, and I am enjoying it so much more.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Stopped RDR somewhere in chapter 4, and wasn't planning on going back. However; after Brads exquisite story telling of some of the moments in that game i'm going to go back and power through that game.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By nutter

I gave in and tried Donut County with my kids. Super cool little game. Not a top 10, but a good use of 2-3 hours with the kids...

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I found myself buying Florence after hearing Vinny's description of it.

silversaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombie2011: I think if you dropped off at Ch. 4 you are going to struggle with Ch. 5 and most of 6. While Brad did mention some of the interesting late game side quests you may of noticed outside of the earlier Chapters (2 and 3) and the final mission they basically don't talk about the main story quests and for good reason (they are bad). I found the main quest went down after the Climax of Ch. 3 and utterly plummeted with the end of Chapter 4, never recovering.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obra Dinn for me as well. Got it while listening to day 3 or 4 and finished in two days. It's a fantastic game and probably in my top 3 of this year.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silversaint: totally disagree. The GB guys didn't talk about the main story quests at the end? Wut.

the ending is amazing and the epilogue handled things really well. The final mission in both is very dramatic and very well done and all of it says more than the first game did, even if I probably like the ending to RDR 1 more overall (that being said, probably my favorite ending to any game so that's a super high bar).

Yeah there are a lot of big shoot outs down the stretch but the last game was the exact same thing.

For me the game was worst with pacing at the point @zombie2011 mentioned and to me that's the biggest fault of the game in total. Keep going.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Into the Breach and Obra Dinn were games I already wanted to play but both definitely had a good showing on there that made me want to get to them more.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Exapunks looks cool. I might give that a shot based on the high praise and see if it’s on sale.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Ended up buying Obra Dinn and Exapunks. So far I have played and beat Obra Dinn, but have not touched Exapunks yet. Obra Dinn is a really cool game and I am glad I bought it, but I was slightly disappointed towards the end where I felt like guessing and checking was somewhat mandatory, still a really great game none the less.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was instantly sold on Obra Dinn when Vinny said, paraphrasing, "a ghost ship shows up and you investigate it". Need to wrap it up, but I've gotten plenty out of it just seeing all the flashbacks.

Brad sold me on Red Dead 2, but I can't afford that game right now so I pulled out the copy of Red Dead 1 I bought years ago and never played, fully expecting to just tool around for a few hours and be done with it, and ended up finishing it earlier today. Wouldn't say it's close to my "game of that generation", but it was compelling enough that I played through all of the 2nd and 3rd acts in one day. Unfortunately it didn't scratch the itch because I still want to play 2...

Skumberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moonlighter! Thank you very much, Abby. It's an awesome game that frankly deserved to be somewhere on the GOTY lists.

I also played Donut County because of GB GOTY but I don't understand why they liked it so much. The gameplay gets old in about 10 minutes and the "quirky" "story" is cringe.

silversaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephen_von_cloud:You must of not read what I said as I said they talked about earlier quests and the....FINAL MISSION. You could take "Final Mission" to also include the parts just right before it. You may of noticed they mentioned exactly 1 thing in all of Guarma, mentioned the hot air balloon for a quick second, the bridge mission for a second, Brad technically mentioned the Abigail mission near the end for a quick second and went into detail regarding numerous later game SIDE missions. Early game they mentioned a few things like the final Ch. 2 mission, final Ch. 3 mission, the Lenny mission, the hunting mission and some sidequests etc.

I mean it says a lot when they spend literally 10 seconds discussing an entire chapter (5) of a 6 chapter game, meanwhile there is a LOT of stuff that occurs in Ch. 5 and 6 and outside of the Ending they mentioned and some highlights, but those parts are small considering the sheer length of the story sections. I mean Ch. 5 was just straight out bad and could of been entirely cut without anyone noticing (those who had played it previously would be ecstatic to remove this terrible section).

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Into The Breach. It’s already been bump to #3 on my GOTY list.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Non, my GOTY lists are nothing like GB's, i watched an animation video the other day which got me to play Just Shapes & Beats which is a fantastic game.

stabfreely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oddly I was actually talked out of playing Spiderman by their discussion...I might try GOW

poorchoices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Florence.

I also bought Destiny: Forsaken since it was $30.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad's description of how he went about playing RDR 2 sort of bummed me out. Not because I thought it was bad game, on the contrary I love it. But it just bummed me out that I was maybe not getting the full experience.

I definitely treated it like every other open world game, just go to the dots. But hearing how Brad chose to "live" Arthur's life and the joy he got out of that sounded like an amazing way to play that game. Unfortunately, I am now about halfway through Chapter 5(so only 6 and the epilogue left) so it seems like it might be a little late to start doing that. But I've definitely started to try and shift how I'm playing.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was convinced to continue Arthur's death-spiral, that final moment seems truly awesome. Things are dragging at the moment, but I owe it to Arthur to push through to the end.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By TobbRobb

Most of the things they talked about was already on or off my radar and didn't really change. Obra Din however is probably the exception. I was going to skip it entirely, but now I'm kind of curious.

J.J MAcfield also went higher on the priority list now that I have a looser understanding of what it is. But I was going to play that eventually.

If only my dumb ass hadn't started Monster Hunter Gen U recently... That's going to put a lot of games on ice deep into 2019.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Gorogoa. Bought it and played through it the day I listened to Day 4's podcast. Beautiful little game.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dead Cells. Historically I don't like rogue-like-lites or platformers. It's on their Best Debut, Best Moment or Sequence, and number two (?!) on Best Game so I decided to put it on one of my wish lists instead of ignoring it completely. I still haven't played it though.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

Dead Cells and Dragon Ball FighterZ. Love them both. It's just that much harder to try to push through Red Dead Redemption 2 now.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obra Dinn and ExaPunks. I haven't bought either yet, already got too much in the Steam sale, but they both went on my wishlist and I'll get them at some point.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Moonlighter and Florence...but I really don't know if I have the time to justify going back to old games. The first part of 2019 looks to be stacked with games I want to play...

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Gorogoa, Return of the Obra Dinn, Chuchel and Donut County...

matheusknf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#41  Edited By matheusknf

The Messanger is such a cool game, so much fellings and regards of my childhood with Ninja Gaiden.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Quite a few. Some of them were games I'd been meaning to play for a while just hadn't got around to yet. I ended up buying Gorogoa, Return of the Obra Dinn, Chuchel, Donut County, The Messenger, Celeste, The Missing, and CrossCode. I plan on playing Florence at some point.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BrunoTheThird

After twelve hours of playing RDR2 and coming to the conclusion it just wasn't working for me, story-wise and controls-wise, I was in the process of selling the game when I tuned into the podcast. I heard the little details and special moments Brad mentioned on the GOTY discussion and ended up really taking his experience to heart. I said to myself I'd give it another fair chance, ignoring the controls issues I had and accepting them as intentional. I also stopped using pistols and rifles and stuck with shotguns, as I felt they countered a lot of my frustrations with enemies constantly ducking and moving and leaning while aiming with the more floaty weapons, increasing my murder efficiency. This allowed me to just focus on the game and get in that zone where you lose yourself.

50 hours later over the course of a week, I finished it...

It's a masterpiece. I'm now ten hours into RDR1 -- I booted it up again as soon as I finished the epilogue -- and it has made me appreciate it so much more. The issues I had with Marston just don't exist for me anymore with how well they handled his backstory with the gang. The writing isn't as good, it's quite one-note, but I like it a lot more than I did when it came out.