• 75 results
#51 Posted by Zleunamme (1005 posts) -

Brutal Legend help introduce me the extended tree of rock music. I didn't know that there were so many sub-genres of Heavy Metal music like: Thrash, Death Metal, Industrial, Viking, Black metal and the ubiquitous Glam Rock. Brutal Legend got me to listen to Motorhead, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Girlschool, Motley Crew, Ministry, Ozzy Osbourne, KMFDM, Enslaved, Mastodon and Rob Zombie.

GTA Vice City gave me an appreciation for 80s music. I like that Rockstar did not picked cliche songs associated with that era.

• Blondie: Atomic
  • The Psychedelic Furs: Love My Way
  • Jan Hammer: Crockett's Theme
  • Michael Jackson: Billie Jean
  • Laura Branigan: Self Control (My favorite)
  • Hashim: Al-Naafiysh (The Soul)
  • Frankie Goes to Hollywood: Two Tribes
  • Irakere: Aguanile

Burnout Paradise had songs that stuck with me and have enjoyed while I was driving.

• Us vs. Them: LCD Soundsystem
  • Stand and Deliver: Adam and the Ants
  • Rusty Cage: Soundgarden
  • Cities in dust: Junkie XL featuring Lauren Rocket

Other games that had good soundtracks with licensed music is GTA; San Andreas, GTA V, Saints Row The Third. Silent Hill 2 is my favorite soundtrack of original music. My last game is Metal Gear Solid V The Phantim Pain. It has a great balance of licensed and original music by Ludvig Forssell.

• a-ha: Take On Me
  • Billy Idol: Rebel Yell
  • Dead or Alive: You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)
  • Europe: The Final Countdown

My favorite song from MGSV.

Loading Video...

#52 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8508 posts) -
#53 Posted by jewunit (1121 posts) -

I hunted down Jurassic 5's work after hearing 'Improvise' in Jet Grind Radio. J5's work rekindled my love of hip hop in a significant way and I never would have found it without playing Jet Grind.

#54 Posted by Saethir (377 posts) -
@creepingdeath0 said:

The end credits of Max Payne 2 introduced me to "Late Goodbye" by Poets of the Fall. Which then sent me on a quest to find the album. Unfortunately it did not come out for another 2 years.

I got turned on to Poets of the Fall thanks to "War" being in Alan Wake. I wonder how many of their fans found them via Remedy games.

I did! lol

Also got turned on to Woodkid from that one Assassins Creed: Revelations trailer. So good.

#55 Posted by MocBucket62 (2343 posts) -

I'll also echo Bad Religion and Offspring for being in Tony Hawk 2 and Crazy Taxi respectively. Though weirdly enough if it weren't for NCAA Football 06, I don't know if I'd ever hear of or be in the Legendary British punk band The Clash because Train in Vain is totally in the OST of an American Football game. Though weirdly enough, NCAA Football 06 also had Bad Religion in it too.

Loading Video...

Guitar Hero 3 also got me into different bands and music I haven't heard of until I played the game. I got really big into The Who and Distortion after playing it. Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson was my fist discovery of Johnson's work:

Loading Video...

#56 Posted by MonkeyMitcho (138 posts) -

Funny enough I started listening to a lot more kanye after saints row 3 power mission, still one of my favorite game levels.

#57 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2899 posts) -
Loading Video...

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails

#58 Posted by nutter (1043 posts) -

@bigboss1911: I bet it depends on your age. Nine Inch Nails were huge (and frankly peaked) at least two years before Quake.

A lot of the discoveries in this thread surprise me, especially for bands that were already headlining shows, getting radio and MTV play, charting, etc.

I’m guessing that’s either my age or music-obsessed childhood showing...

#59 Posted by Forcen (2478 posts) -

For me it's mostly racing games and electronic music.

The Motorstorm games and Wipeout on PSP and PS3 got me into Drum & Bass in a big way 10 years ago:

Loading Video...

Another more recent example of this is the Trackmania Turbo soundtrack which has lots of great french house music I had never heard before. example.

An non electronic example might be the secret portal 2 licensed song:

Loading Video...

#60 Posted by Nick (978 posts) -

I listen to c418 thanks to Minecraft, and Disasterpeace thanks to Fez.

#61 Posted by chekhonte (132 posts) -
Loading Video...

Takagi Masakatsu from this song on Lumines II

Loading Video...

Keiichi Okabe for his work on both nier games as well.

#62 Posted by DallyDoll (233 posts) -

@fisk0: Do you listen to ohGr at all? I absolutely love everything Ogre & Walk create.

#63 Posted by fisk0 (6703 posts) -

@fisk0: Do you listen to ohGr at all? I absolutely love everything Ogre & Walk create.

Yeah, I have some fondness for Welt, but for some reason most of the ohGr stuff hasn't grabbed me the way Download, Doubting Thomas, The Tear Garden or even the more post-reunion Skinny Puppy albums did (which many say sound just like ohGr).

#64 Posted by DallyDoll (233 posts) -

@fisk0: That's fair. ohGr definitely has its own sound/style. They just put out a new album called "TrickS," which I've seen compared to "Welt" and also "Greater Wrong of the Right." You might give it a try.

Also, if you like Skinny Puppy, you might like Dead When I Found Her. Very SP influenced.

#66 Posted by glots (3815 posts) -

I feel like Poets of The Fall might be the only band that I’ve stuck with, more or less, ever since hearing ’Late Goodbye’ in Max Payne 2. Max Payne 3 also made me listen to HEALTH for a while.

I did fall down The Glitch Mob hole after that one Hitman trailer, but didn’t really listen to them again after looping Drink The Sea for about a month straight. Guess I should check the new album from few months back, now that I’ve noticed it’s out...

#69 Posted by qrdl (432 posts) -

Africa HiTech from Sleeping Dogs (apart from the aforementioned Hotline Miami 1 and 2):

Loading Video...

#70 Posted by dudeglove (13410 posts) -

A lot of lower budget/indie games have had incredible OSTs over the years and the artists themselves are no slouches. Furi had a mix of people that stood out, such as the French DJ The Toxic Avenger whose own stuff is neat.

Loading Video...

Meanwhile, I think Nashville-based electronic artist Makeup & Vanity Set, who did the Brigador OSTs, is friggin fantastic

Loading Video...

Said it before and will say it again repeatedly - video game music somehow keeps getting better each year. It's nuts.

#71 Posted by ShaggE (8966 posts) -

@glots said:

Max Payne 3 also made me listen to HEALTH for a while.

Oh right! I forgot how obsessed I was with that song after Max Payne 3. Remedy and Rockstar, man... both of them are masters of licensed music in games. I'm replaying Alan Wake right now, and I forgot how excellent and evocative those episode cappers are.

#72 Posted by Digaumgrunge (88 posts) -

This week was all about that Fortuna trailer for Warframe. Composer is Keith Power.

Loading Video...

#73 Posted by BallsLeon (450 posts) -
#75 Posted by Overstreet (3 posts) -

Road Rash for the PS1 was probably the first time I heard Soundgarden, which is my all-time favorite band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22b0AYZXoFU

With that said, THPS3 introduced me to Del Tha Funkee Homosapien and CKY.