• 69 results
Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

You know, I was just looking at the gaint bomb videos, then I checked gamespot, IGN and gametrailers and I noticed not a single one of them barring IGN reviewed Fall Of The Samurai. Probably the biggest pc game out at the moment. Even when IGN reviewed it, it got about half a page, without any video review and was stuck well at the back of the website and bumped out of existence by "top 10 bestest best bestyest" "best chair in game" "my opinion" none-sense best suited for a blog like this than a major gaming news source. Fall Of The Samurai has been out for around two-three weeks now.

In fact checking Gaint Bomb they don't seem to have done a single Total War review. The only pc videos I see are niche pc games quick looks usually mocking them. Likewise with gametrailers, no Napoleon Total War review or FOTS. If a game even gets misc DLC for a console, it gets complete attention. A video review and all. Gamespot hasn't bothered taking the effort for a video review for a Total War game since Rome.

This got me thinking. Aside from piracy (yes it is killing pc gaming and if you do it you are a cancer) is the gaming media as much to blame for the apparent phasing out of pc gaming (unless it's Blizzard) as piracy? I think it could be.

This isn't just a problem with Total War. the case with alot of pc games. Unless it has a huge publisher behind it, it's blanked out. Even though indie thrives on pc far more than console, it's XBLIVE and PSN games that get reviewed. If you check out gaint bombs video reviews atm, they are mostly XBL games. No balance, pc getting the shaft.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, I was just looking at the gaint bomb videos, then I checked gamespot, IGN and gametrailers and I noticed not a single one of them barring IGN reviewed Fall Of The Samurai. Probably the biggest pc game out at the moment. Even when IGN reviewed it, it got about half a page, without any video review and was stuck well at the back of the website and bumped out of existence by "top 10 bestest best bestyest" "best chair in game" "my opinion" none-sense best suited for a blog like this than a major gaming news source. Fall Of The Samurai has been out for around two-three weeks now.

In fact checking Gaint Bomb they don't seem to have done a single Total War review. The only pc videos I see are niche pc games quick looks usually mocking them. Likewise with gametrailers, no Napoleon Total War review or FOTS. If a game even gets misc DLC for a console, it gets complete attention. A video review and all. Gamespot hasn't bothered taking the effort for a video review for a Total War game since Rome.

This got me thinking. Aside from piracy (yes it is killing pc gaming and if you do it you are a cancer) is the gaming media as much to blame for the apparent phasing out of pc gaming (unless it's Blizzard) as piracy? I think it could be.

This isn't just a problem with Total War. the case with alot of pc games. Unless it has a huge publisher behind it, it's blanked out. Even though indie thrives on pc far more than console, it's XBLIVE and PSN games that get reviewed. If you check out gaint bombs video reviews atm, they are mostly XBL games. No balance, pc getting the shaft.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Bell_End

PC gaming has been dying fro the last 20 years... FACT

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Addfwyn

Well, Giant Bomb doesn't do a huge amount of reviews to begin with. I can't speak for everyone, but reviews aren't really the content I come here for. It can be nice icing on the cake sometimes, but the cake is really some of the unique content (like quick looks and the like). Giant Bomb does do a fair bit of coverage of PC stuff, just not in review format.

I can say the same thing for a lot of content on portable consoles though. Easily some absolutely incredible PSP and DS games have come out that don't get as much critical acclaim as they probably should, which has led people to thinking that genres that thrive there, like the JRPG, are dead. I'd say they get less love than PC games even. They just don't seem to be the focus of the gaming media as much as the bigger consoles. You can't cover everything, and when a lot of the games are cross-platform anyway it isn't that big a travesty to cover the console versions first.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By alistercat

PC only titles tend to be more niche. There are so many games that Giant Bomb doesn't review no matter what platform they are on, though Alex has been cranking them out lately. The mainstream websites are really just console websites and cover PC games as a sideshow. That's how the audience is split, so that's where the websites go.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By cookiemonster

Maybe those website's audiences are not as interested in pc games as they are in console games?

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CookieMonster said:

Maybe those website's audiences are not as interested in pc games as they are in console games?

If thats the case i'd rather just have them not cover pc games at all. Alot of the time as well they just copy paste the console review over to the pc version not bothering to mention or take into account basic pc features.Call Of Duty is probably a good example. Alot of reviews (gamespot amazingly not) just totally ignored all the shit about dedicated servers, FOV, graphic features, performance, bugs e.t.c... as well as the higher price point compared to other pc games. Here a pc game costs roughly £29. Call Of Duty (newer titles) are £39. Why? Probably because they know they have a hot game I imagine.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

Visit console-oriented websites -> Get reviews for console games.

Metacritic shows 37 separate reviews for FotS so no, I don't think PC games are being overlooked, you're just looking in the wrong places.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Metacritic shows 37 separate reviews for FotS so no, I don't think PC games are being overlooked, you're just looking in the wrong places.

The websites aboved are the main "go to " websites for people. The problem here isn't that I can't find them, it's that general public Joe will be less aware.

About 70% of the websites listed on that metacritic are nobody websites with far less traffic than the ones listed above.

derevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By derevo

The Giant Bomb staff said that they don't actually have a PC in the new office yet, so that can't do any PC Quick Looks or reviews. I haven't heard anything new on the matter, Will and Norm aren't there to build them a new PC!

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Bell_End said:

No it's not... FACTER

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Willtron

Sorry to break it to you, but general public Joe doesn't give a fuck about Fall of the Samurai.

It's been said time and time again. PC gaming is niche. And as mentioned, the coverage is out there. Giant Bomb isn't a big PC gaming website. It also isn't a big reviews website. IT ALSO HAS NO PC TO PLAY PC GAMES RIGHT NOW BECAUSE, YOU KNOW, IT MOVED OFFICES AND ALL. A DERP.

And anyone who wants to know something about Fall of the Samurai? They probably already heavily considered it, because they probably bought Shogun 2. I see your point, but Fall of the Samurai is an expansion. It's hard to sell a review to people without selling them on Shogun 2 first. And that requires people to give a flip about PC gaming. Also, don't go to sources that you already know won't have PC coverage. Search out the 'real' reviews that are longer than half a page if you care that much.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Animasta

@whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

The websites aboved are the main "go to " websites for people. The problem here isn't that I can't find them, it's that general public Joe will be less aware.

About 70% of the websites listed on that metacritic are nobody websites with far less traffic than the ones listed above.

well "general public Joe" isn't a PC gamer then

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hunkulese

This

This

This

Giant Bomb has shown plenty of love to the total war series.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@Willtron said:

Sorry to break it to you, but general public Joe doesn't give a fuck about Fall of the Samurai.

It's worth noting Empire and Shogun 2 were released they were in the top 10 game sales charts.

These are not niche games. And to be honest, even if they were, I don't think it's very fair to ignore games of any platform because they don't have $$$ publishers behind them.

I understand these are not very credible gaming sources for alot of people, myself included. But they do open a window for people who are interested in games more so than the "real websites" you are probably thinking of.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pw2566ch

It's sad to see gaming separated into 2 categories. Console gaming and PC gaming. When in fact, these kinds of gaming sites should cover gaming in general. There are tons of PC gamers out there and it has been proven time and time again. Any time the Steam sales rise, so do the PC gamers on this site. And just because there are more people buying MW3 on the Xbox 360 does not mean PC gaming is dead. PC gaming is very much alive. Just as much as consoles. PC's have just as much games that are easily accessible than any console out on the market.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Bell_End said:

Is that why Steam has been such a colossal failure?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hunkulese

@James_Giant_Peach said:

If you don't know about the total war series by now it's probably not for you anyway.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By mordukai

@glasswall52 said:

Will and Norm aren't there to build them a new PC!

No. Just an small battalion of tech people.

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Willtron

No Caption Provided

@Willtron said:

It's worth Empire and Shogun 2 were released they were in the top 10 game sales charts.

These are not niche games. And to be honest, even if they were, I don't think it's very fair to ignore games of any platform because they don't have $$$ publishers behind them.

Psst. That isn't a sales chart. http://www.vgchartz.com/ Here's an actual sales chart.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Willtron said:

No Caption Provided

@Willtron said:

It's worth Empire and Shogun 2 were released they were in the top 10 game sales charts.

Psst. That isn't a sales chart. http://www.vgchartz.com/ Here's an actual sales chart.

I never said it was a sales chart not did I imply it.

That is current trend of the website of games people are currently interested in the most.

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Willtron

TOP 10 GAMES SALES CHARTS.

Nah, dawg, y'did. Shogun was rad, and PC games definitely have their place. But just don't act all butt-hurt that PC games aren't getting THEIR RESPECT. It does suck, but... well, it's kinda old news.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bell_End

@Video_Game_King said:

@Bell_End said:

yep... its why they have to resort to 'sales' to sell games

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Willtron said:

Nah, dawg, y'did. Shogun was rad, and PC games definitely have their place. But just don't act all butt-hurt that PC games aren't getting THEIR RESPECT. It does suck, but... well, it's kinda old news.

I can see i'm talking with a kid or something. Moving on.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bell_End

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Bell_End said:

No it's not... FACTER

then why do people keep say it is then.

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Willtron

@Willtron said:

I can see i'm talking with a kid or something. Moving on.

Well, sir, don't bring up 'games sales charts', then say you didn't bring up games sales charts, when it is clearly quotable, and quoted. O_o

And as stated, Giant Bomb has shown their love for Shogun 2. And as stated again: they don't even have a PC to run Quick Looks/reviews right now. So you can't rule it out from them, at the very least.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Video_Game_King said:

@Bell_End said:

He was being sarcastic as was I. Piracy definitely hurts pc gaming. Even if people like to make claims it isn't a lost sale, or bad ports or what not... Publishers and developers blame it... so they move to consoles, f2p, mmo e.t.c... It's not dying but it can be attributed to the massive change it's undergone. The good news is the quility of free2play games and diversity seems to be getting better. But this is off-topic.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Bell_End said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Bell_End said:

No it's not... FACTER

then why do people keep say it is then.

People say all kinds of dumb shit.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By triviaman09

I remember seeing quick looks of all the recent Total War games as well as a number of even more niche titles like those recent space sims, flight sims, and Crusader Kings II. Giant Bomb only really has 5 or so people doing reviews (maybe a few more?). Reviews take a long time, particularly for a game like Total War. They can't cover everything and they have said in the past that console games are more their focus. Plus, as others have mentioned, how the hell are they going to quick look/review a game when they don't have a PC in the office yet? If the console focus of sites like GB bothers you so much, look elsewhere for your PC coverage. PC Gamer still exists, right?

In fact, here is their (rather thorough) review of Fall of the Samurai. Problem solved. Everybody can move on with their lives.

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/shogun-2-fall-of-the-samurai-review/

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Animasta

I don't even know why you would go anywhere besides RPS for PC games, unless you REALLY need a number.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SomeJerk

Piracy doesn't hurt PC gaming.

PC game releases like Bloodstorm hurt PC gaming.

And I am not fucking sarcastic when I say that.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By MooseyMcMan

GB may be part of the CBSI family now, but they're still a small group that gets as much done as they can. And with Vinny and Drew out, and Dave busy redesigning the site, they haven't had the time. They cover the games that they can, and sometimes a few get pushed aside.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Animasta said:

I don't even know why you would go anywhere besides RPS for PC games, unless you REALLY need a number.

I think your missing the point. I have the game, I pre-ordered it ages ago. And will buy it regardless because I know everyone of them is a good product.

However what actually got me into the series was this...

Now this was almost 10 years back. When I new less about games that I do now. I was average joe. Gamespot, IGN and the usual ones were (and probably still are) the "go to websites".

I'm sure alot of you, including myself scoff at these websites. However, i'd bet every penny most of you do visit them on a regular basis regardless of any shit talking. They are like Mcdonalds and Burger King. A "go to" spot for the masses. Also i'm not just specifically talking about Total War. This is the case with alot of pc titles. It has became similar to the the obligatory token black guy on a predominantly white tv show.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By Winternet

Everyone using a PC as their primary or only platform for video games is already too smart to need reviews.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DoctorWelch

When there is an exclusive on PC worth paying attention to and review than they will do it, otherwise they will most likely play the game on a console. There really is not that much that comes out on PC that does not come out on console that is worth a whole lot of time. The stuff that is worth it is usually cheaper indie or small stuff that gets attention usually if it is good.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deerokus

PC gaming isn't dying, if anything it is undergoing something of a resurgence, and in any case, all of the most interesting games released in that last couple of months have been PC exclusives while the console releases have been a desert.

Fall of the Samurai is one of the best and most popular games released this year. GB don't have a dedicated PC guy, and so relative lack of coverage is fair enough given that GB only really covers what interests them. I suspect if and when they bring in a new main writer they'll be looking for a PC person, they give PC games more coverage than other sites, to be fair, the likes of Gametrailers and sites like that are actively dismissive of PC gaming, which is sad.

At least we have RPS.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By Humanity

It's a cycle that was propagated by the increase of console popularity. A steadily decreasing number of PCee exclusives results in less media coverage and that can fold back on itself - developers and more importantly publishers can of course see the lower media interest in PCee titles as a deterrent to shelling out money on something that a lot of people might not hear about.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By nick_verissimo

Giant Bomb has a small team and as such have always set out with the intent of only showing or working on things they are truly interested in. With most games, reviews aren't entirely necessary and I absolutely love that I can get a 30-60 minute game-play video with their active thoughts about the game. To that end, Giant Bomb has a ton of PC coverage through quick looks and discussions in the podcasts over the entire run of this site, so it feels a little short-sighted calling them out like this. They have a damn PC Flight Club, right?! What else could you want? As others have said, if you want hardcore PC coverage, there are other avenue's to explore for it.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Brendan

@Bell_End said:

I'm only going to call you out on the extra stupid part of your post. You do realize that you just said that PC gaming has been dying since 1992, right? You do know that the front-half of the 90's, and most of the back half, were when PC gaming was in it's prime, right? Right?

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: I actually don't. :)

Also, there are PC game reviews out there, somewhere..

I did not know Spock was oriental.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#40  Edited By LordAndrew

GameSpot will probably have one of their freelancers cover it eventually. Giant Bomb probably won't. Giant Bomb has reviewed only one total War game, Empire: Total War. Dave Snider wrote the review, the same Dave Snider that is currently working on the site redesign as part of his actual job.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BrockNRolla

Well, it shouldn't be too surprising that gb doesn't do them since they don't review all that many games. As far as the others though, I think the answer comes do to page views and resources. How many people are looking for a review of Fall of the samurai? Obviously you're a pc gamer with an interest in Japanese culture so that fits right in your wheelhouse, but how many other people does that apply to? Probably not many. So many websites instead put out crappy top 10 lists because they are easy to make and garauntee some clicks. It's an unfortunate side effect of having niche interests in today's click-driven game journalism world.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By zaglis
@Winternet said:

Everyone using a PC as their primary or only platform for video games is already too smart to need reviews.

Hit the nail on the head right here.  If game is worth buying, the word of mouth spreads quickly.

@Humanity said:

It's a cycle that was propagated by the increase of console popularity. A steadily decreasing number of PCee exclusives results in less media coverage and that can fold back on itself - developers and more importantly publishers can of course see the lower media interest in PCee titles as a deterrent to shelling out money on something that a lot of people might not hear about.

http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/2012-2/

I stopped counting half way through that list.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'm just spit-ballin' here but maybe reviewers just got sick of hearing how shitty their review was and how some console-biased-fanboy has no right to be reviewing the epic superiorness that is PC gaming?

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Commisar123

PC gaming is just not as popular as it used to be. Now consoles can deliver very similar experiences, more people have them, and they are simpler to use and review. Not to mention most review copies of games are for consoles. I'm not saying it's fair, just that there are good reasons. As far as PC exclusives go, many of them are niche titles and this latest Total War, which I loved, is more expansion then full game. Basically this means that if a publication doesn't have someone who fills that niche they are far less likely to review it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck you, Master Race. I spent all night last night playing games on my PC and I still hope you die in a fire.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By iamjohn

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Bell_End said:

No it's not... FACTER

I'd like to believe that Bell_End was commenting on the fact that people have been forecasting doom-and-gloom on the PC and saying that it's dying for so long now that it's completely and utterly meaningless.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By eroticfishcake

While I would prefer more PC reviews from people who actually write about games for a living we've come to rely on word of mouth when it comes to which games are worth buying. That plus the fact that Steam sells games digitally (read: convenient) and at a relatively good price makes them easy to recommend to others. Other folk who cover PC games well (who people have come to rely upon) are RockPaperShotgun, TotalBiscuit and a bunch of other small but good sites.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NicksCorner

I would love for more PC content.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By Tennmuerti

A review will never encompass or properly portray how the PC version is anyway, you need mass numbers for that.

So for me games are divided into 3 cattegories:

1. Preorder that shit.
  2. I am 50/50 so i will go check out various boards and user feedback after the game comes out, this is much more usefull imo then looking at PC reviews
  3. Don't care about the game in the first place.

What I'm trying to say here is that a lot of PC gamers (inclufing myself) are moving away from reviews as a legitimate way to determine a games technical issues/performance.
And the rest is subjective to tastes.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kishinfoulux

@iAmJohn said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Bell_End said:

No it's not... FACTER

I'd like to believe that Bell_End was commenting on the fact that people have been forecasting doom-and-gloom on the PC and saying that it's dying for so long now that it's completely and utterly meaningless.

I took it as him just being sarcastic. Surprised everyone thought it was a hostile comment.

Anyways I still see PC gaming reviews, even on the big sites. Even smaller games seem to get attention.