• 69 results
Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

First of all, GB does like three video reviews a year, so I don't even know why you'd be looking at those.

Second, Fall of the Samurai is not a big deal, even in terms of PC-exclusive games.

PC games are massive, and especially in a community like Giant Bomb's, there's a ton of focus on that platform. I don't find their coverage lacking in that department. We get quick looks of just about any PC game that matters.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

Why not just got to PC Gamer, they haven't shut up about Fall of the Samurai for the last few months.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By BraveToaster

@whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Visit console-oriented websites -> Get reviews for console games.

Metacritic shows 37 separate reviews for FotS so no, I don't think PC games are being overlooked, you're just looking in the wrong places.

The websites aboved are the main "go to " websites for people. The problem here isn't that I can't find them, it's that general public Joe will be less aware.

About 70% of the websites listed on that metacritic are nobody websites with far less traffic than the ones listed above.

If general public Joe really wants to find something on the internet, general public Joe will use a search engine.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

@BraveToaster said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Metacritic shows 37 separate reviews for FotS so no, I don't think PC games are being overlooked, you're just looking in the wrong places.

The websites aboved are the main "go to " websites for people. The problem here isn't that I can't find them, it's that general public Joe will be less aware.

About 70% of the websites listed on that metacritic are nobody websites with far less traffic than the ones listed above.

If general public Joe really wants to find something on the internet, general public Joe will use a search engine.

I think your missing the point. If general Joe isn't aware (which is exactly what these websites do) then he (or she) wont look up anything since they have no comprehension of something existing to peak any interest.

Alot of what makes people aware these days seems not to be these websites but youtube. e.g. yogcast..

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By poser

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: I don't read reviews anymore, everything gets 9/10 anyway.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Gaff

Because the ultimate indication of a game's importance is a video review. Text is obsolete. Why am I typing again?

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Gaff said:

Because the ultimate indication of a game's important is a video review. Text is obsolete. Why am I typing again

While I like your young whippersnapper MTV generation attitude. I think it probably is a case that the general public would rather just watch a video or look at a big score number than sit and read paragraphs of text.

Alot of people into games are kids or people casually surfing the web, remember. I imagine it's partly the reason they have video reviews and keep the review text very slim.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@iAmJohn: @kishinfoulux: But he did replied to me with this:

then why do people keep say it is then.

So I think he was serious.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By iamjohn

@AlexanderSheen said:

@iAmJohn: @kishinfoulux: But he did replied to me with this:

then why do people keep say it is then.

So I think he was serious.

Hence why I said I'd like to believe it. :\

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By Gaff

@Gaff said:

Because the ultimate indication of a game's important is a video review. Text is obsolete. Why am I typing again

While I like your young whippersnapper MTV generation attitude. I think it probably is a case that the general public would rather just watch a video or look at a big score number than sit and read paragraphs of text.

Alot of people into games are kids or people casually surfing the web, remember. I imagine it's partly the reason they have video reviews and keep the review text very slim.

A quick word count of both the IGN and the Game Informer review of Fall of the Samurai throws up a number of about 800 words each. Of course, both combined still pale next to Dave Snider's review of Empire: Total War (1821 words, right here, on Giant Bomb), but I wouldn't call them very slim. And considering the anecdotal tweets, forum post or Facebook status updates of the average late-teen / twentysomething, even that might be too much? I kid. I hope.

I think two major factors are at work here:

First, the enthusiast, core gamer market / community on the PC is incredibly insular and commited. Barring the odd outlier like The Sims, Popcap or... World of Warcraft, the PC remains the territory of RTS, 4X, Simulation games, with indie games rapidly carving out their own pillar. They keep informed (patch notes get dissected, mechanics get researched, press releases are examined with a fine toothed comb, etc), are fiercely protective (prime example, the SimCity relaunch and the outrage it inspired), and, above all, they know what they like. Starcraft 2, arguably an example of the most hardcore of PC franchises, sold ~1.2M units in its first week, with little to no mainstream advertising. Publishers and game journalists probably have a hunch that catering to that audience is almost futile: that audience has made up its mind well in advance. Spending a couple of million extra trying to market it or commiting a staff member for ~30 hours to review that one game, whether he wants to or not, is a waste of resources.

And this is were the editorial part comes in. You may or may not have noticed that most sites are moving away from covering absolutely anything, starting to focus on features, long form writing, or interesting or underexposed titles / facets. As the Giantbomb crew or other publications have often said, trying to cover everything is futile when everyone else is doing the same thing. It's better to carve out your own voice on the internet which hopefully attracts an audience. More often than not, that is creating content for titles that the staff finds personally interesting.

Combine those two and you'll find out that Giantbomb writes and talks extensively about the indie PC titles they're interested in, and explains the lack of coverage, both here and in other publications, of most PC titles.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By BraveToaster

@BraveToaster said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

I think your missing the point. If general Joe isn't aware (which is exactly what these websites do) then he (or she) wont look up anything since they have no comprehension of something existing to peak any interest.

Alot of what makes people aware these days seems not to be these websites but youtube. e.g. yogcast..

I think your are missing the point. If general Joe is interested in PC game reviews, he can look for that via search engine. You went from asking what happened to video game reviews to talking about general public Joe. The general public doesn't really care about reviews, but if a specific game piqued (that's how you spell it, by the way) an individual's interest, they would more than likely search online. Many general public people have found Giant Bomb and other websites via search engine.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By Marz

take into consideration that most of the PC dudes at giantbomb like Dave, Vinny, Drew have been really busy the past few weeks.  Dunno if that Mike Horn dude is still with giantbomb but he did some quicklooks of total war games in the past, he may have stayed with the Tested side of the whiskey media buyout.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63  Edited By myke_tuna

I feel like this should be the first post-Whiskey Media (fucking crazy typing that) collaboration between Tested and Giant Bomb. Tested could just build one for them and document the process like they did around the same time last year for Jeff and Gary before that. Name the feature "Building A Gaming PC (2012) For Our Friends at Giant Bomb". Done and done. No disrespect to the IT/Tech guys at the GameSpot offices.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#64  Edited By fox01313

Well since GB is still setting things up to the new office, and with a few people out, it might be a while for them to get to the pc game reviews when other console releases are out. Plus the PC games coming out sometimes has dozens of hours of content & to give a decent amount of time for a review that cuts into other things going on. Mixed with the idea that there are just a ton of pc games always coming out, mostly indie but there's the big name titles too. This is why a lot of sites are more pc focused like Rock, Paper, Shotgun or like GB where they let the users post reviews on something that the GB crew might not get to.

otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By otzlowe

I think there's some merit in the idea that PC gaming gets less coverage these days. However, I don't want to say that it's because PC gaming is dying. What's actually happening is just that console gaming is more popular and more accessible. That doesn't put PC gaming on the fringes or anything, it just means that to reach the broadest audience, they're more likely going to go after console gamers first.

There's nothing wrong with any kind of gaming. I enjoy all the consoles and PC, and I'm willing to acknowledge that PC gaming is more time consuming and financially draining to pursue, despite my preference for it. As a result, I can understand why these things happen. I don't think there's anything to worry about, however, as nothing has really changed for the worse (yet, at least).

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By iam3green

PC gaming is dieing. true fact.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67  Edited By Sackmanjones

This game is awesome. Unfortunately my computer is old as hell and I gotta run it mostly on medium and low

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

It's because journalists are TERRRRRRRRIBLE at complex RTS games.

Look for a PC site though, consoles are the mainstream, and the furthest from mainstream are games like that. Not to say that they aren't mad popular on PC, but the audience of gamespot is mostly console players who likely have no idea what it is. Games like Diablo and Starcraft get coverage because they are more accessible, but popular or not, those games are pretty niche.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure you know exactly why PC games aren't being covered by the main websites. As has been said before: PC gaming is more niche and major console games are more heavily cared about by a majority of gamers so that's what the big websites cover more blah blah blah. Look, I would like Giant Bomb to become as heavily dedicated to the PC games as they are to the console games, but the likelihood of that is pretty much zero and the reasons for why are pretty obvious.