• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Walreese55 (576 posts) -

What happened? I'm totally out of the loop on this

#2 Posted by Sergio (3554 posts) -

Some people are harassing people who were upset by Giant Bomb not hiring a minority. It's okay to disagree with them, but people should really not resort to transphobic name calling or threats.

#3 Edited by EuanDewar (5160 posts) -

That tweet could be aimed at a lot of whats been said in relation to the new hires over the last 24 hours both on these forums and on twitter. Though I imagine it is mostly aimed at some of the quite horrific responses to this tweet (and others) by Samantha Allen.

https://twitter.com/CousinDangereux/status/483895536815464448

Sad thing is I bet a lot of the people saying the worst stuff will convince themselves that Jeff's tweet is aimed at people like Samantha.

#4 Posted by jack2059 (5 posts) -

People complaining that the 2 new guys arent black or gay.

#6 Edited by Mister_V (2356 posts) -

@sergio said:

Some people are harassing people who were upset by Giant Bomb not hiring a minority. It's okay to disagree with them, but people should really not resort to transphobic name calling or threats.

Yeah, Disagreeing with someone is one thing. Looking up someones address and threatening to rape them is fucking sick. Who ever did that please never darken our door again.

#7 Posted by Abendlaender (3064 posts) -

@mister_v said:

@sergio said:

Yeah, Disagreeing with someone is one thing. Looking up someones address and threatening to rape them is fucking sick. Who ever did that please never darken our door again.

What the fuck man. Bunch of idiots. While I personally find it a bit mean towards Dan and Jason to be "disappointed", especially if you have little to no connection with GB, attacking those people is even more idiotic.

#8 Posted by Ghostiet (5832 posts) -

@mister_v said:

@sergio said:

Wait, for real? Those fuckers can burn in shit.

#9 Posted by AMyggen (7708 posts) -

People are being idiots on the internet and the whole GB community being labelled as "toxic" in the process. Fuck everything.

#10 Posted by hmoney001 (1069 posts) -
Loading Video...

This is why we can't have nice things people.

#11 Posted by recroulette (5453 posts) -

@amyggen said:

People are being idiots on the internet and the whole GB community being labelled as "toxic" in the process. Fuck everything.

We're FGC now.

#12 Posted by doomocrat (164 posts) -

@jack2059 said:

People complaining that the 2 new guys arent black or gay.

That seems like a simple view of a complex world.

I don't have issue with the hirings but I don't have issue with people desiring a more representative world even if it's the stupid video game website they enjoy. There will be people on either side of this topic rallying their issue. If it isn't being oppressive and you have an issue with it, guess who the oppressive one is?

#13 Posted by marcusofadown (89 posts) -

Samantha Allen (https://twitter.com/CousinDangereux/) expressed her dissapointment in GB hiring two white dudes. The internet assholes went all-hands-on-deck and completely threw up everything shitty they had in her direction. Seriously, read this. Makes me want to just curl up in a ball and cry. And I am a white, straight male. I'm the least shat on person in the world.

Fuck everyone that does this. Fuck you all for making the internet a horrible place. Fuck you for making things go backwards instead of forwards. Fuck all of you. I'm so sick of this shit.

#14 Posted by Mister_V (2356 posts) -

@amyggen said:

Yep, This community has done some pretty incredible things in it's time. But this is what we get exposure for.

It just makes me sad.

#16 Posted by joshwent (2897 posts) -

The worst part of it is that these two extreme groups of wildly ignorant people have a symbiotic relationship.

There are folks who aggressively insist that others are relentlessly oppressing them. Then others are angered by that and write horrible things to them, thus validating the accusations of the first group. Which of course leads to the first group finding that their complaints are clearly real, so they even more emphatically spread their accusations. Which leads to...

me not using twitter.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
#17 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (4112 posts) -

Really hope this garbage stops. Regardless of whether you agree with the critics of the hire or not, slinging disgusting garbage at people is wrong any way you look at it. It's hurtful to them and it just makes our community look bad. Can we not?

#18 Edited by Trilogy (3133 posts) -

@euandewar said:

That tweet could be aimed at a lot of whats been said in relation to the new hires over the last 24 hours both on these forums and on twitter. Though I imagine it is mostly aimed at some of the quite horrific responses to this tweet (and others) by Samantha Allen.

Sad thing is I bet a lot of the people saying the worst stuff will convince themselves that Jeff's tweet is aimed at people like Samantha.

I apologize for being out of the loop here, but what does that tweet or it's response have to do with Giant Bomb?

edit for clarity: I don't know who Samantha Allen is, why she's upset, or why people are upset with her.

Avatar image for rays_gaming_rants
#19 Edited by Rays_Gaming_Rants (92 posts) -

People really have to stop with the horrible shit. I don't agree at all with Samantha Allen, or Maddy Myers, but there is no need to go off and verbally attack them for stating their opinions on things. It's a shame there has to be any controversy with the two extremely talented people hired, but it is the world we live in. People disagree with the choices, and that is their prerogative. There's no need for what is happening in response however. The people doing it really need to stop.

#20 Edited by Hawkerace (302 posts) -

Remember when video games used to be about video games, and not people blowing up and crying about every footnote?

I dont even know or care about any of these people. If I look them up and see that most of their content is their discontent about other things that don't matter, you're doing shit wrong.

So fucking dumb.

#21 Edited by RonGalaxy (4808 posts) -
No Caption Provided

I really don't know what to think about whats going on........ This just sucks :(

#22 Posted by tildebees (175 posts) -

It's the same gross violent harassment you see on the internet every day but seeing it done as some kind of twisted defense of giant bomb is more upsetting and discouraging for sure.

#23 Posted by cabelhigh (298 posts) -

@sergio: Excuse me women are not a minority. It's not about hiring a "minority," its about hiring someone who would bring a new perspective to GB other than that of the Straight White Males that already run it.

#24 Posted by Zornack (261 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: also

She's tweeting insulting stuff, deleting it then getting mad at people calling her out. She.. has issues.

#25 Posted by JasonR86 (10180 posts) -

The funny thing for me is remember making jokes about this happening as soon as they announced they were hiring. I've been in these forums way too fucking long.

#26 Posted by FinalDasa (3098 posts) -

This sentiment has been around the GB for a long time but now it really needs to be talked about.

Moderator Online
#27 Edited by Boboblaw (489 posts) -

twitter/internet drama happened

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
#28 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (2079 posts) -

Both sides are being ridiculous.

Horrific responses from assholes because a woman shares her opinion on the new hires.

Someone mentions that the new hires were probably chosen because they were the most qualified, then the same women replies with "Go fuck yourself"

Everyone should just grow the fuck up.

#29 Posted by Droop (1928 posts) -

I don't get why anyone is making a big deal out of Giant Bomb hiring more white dudes. As much as Patrick tries, GB is not really influential on video games. It's quick looks and live streams of a bunch of friends playing video games. Who gives a shit.

#30 Edited by xite (970 posts) -

I blame twitter.

#31 Posted by cabelhigh (298 posts) -

@zornack: Stop saying women "have issues" as an excuse for them to post their opinions. She writes more in-depth analysis and interesting articles, a la Patrick. She is angry, and she has a reason to be. She's not being irrational.

#32 Posted by marcusofadown (89 posts) -

@zornack said:

She's tweeting insulting stuff, deleting it then getting mad at people calling her out. She.. has issues.

Believe me, the shit Leigh (who's a fucking amazing writer) has been facing not only today but throughout her career makes it pretty much ok in my book to delete a tweet or two. She's fed up and I don't blame her.

#33 Edited by Abendlaender (3064 posts) -
@zornack said:

Up to this point the hate for Leigh always confused the hell out of me since I couldn't find anything bad she did. Actually she seemed pretty fun. I always figured this was just some exaggeration by some folks but reading this apparently she really hates the GB crew? I honestly don't understand what's going on and yes I know the video where she mistook a number.

#34 Posted by csl316 (14155 posts) -

I'm gonna continue to praise Dan and Jason for being great fits, along with how the website just improved.

Come on, everyone. Positivity is a good thing.

#35 Posted by EuanDewar (5160 posts) -

@trilogy said:

@euandewar said:

I apologize for being out of the loop here, but what does that tweet or it's response have to do with Giant Bomb?

Samantha is talking specifically about GB's choice to hire two straight white men instead of hiring someone from a different background with a different perspective.

#36 Posted by Stonyman65 (3669 posts) -

@mister_v: wait, what happened? Things got pretty heated there for a bit and even I got called out by the mods for crossing the line a bit, but that's just screwed up. You just don't do that kinda stuff. Its one thing to tell someone to fuck off but getting someone's information and threatening them so wrong... Sometimes I hate the internet.

#37 Posted by automatontribe (206 posts) -

Samantha Allen (https://twitter.com/CousinDangereux/) expressed her dissapointment in GB hiring two white dudes. The internet assholes went all-hands-on-deck and completely threw up everything shitty they had in her direction. Seriously, read this. Makes me want to just curl up in a ball and cry. And I am a white, straight male. I'm the least shat on person in the world.

Fuck everyone that does this. Fuck you all for making the internet a horrible place. Fuck you for making things go backwards instead of forwards. Fuck all of you. I'm so sick of this shit.

Oh no...what the fuck is going on in these people's heads? Maybe think for a fucking second before you type you ignorant shits. Tragic is what it is.

#38 Posted by ELpork (445 posts) -

No Caption Provided

I really don't know what to think about whats going on........ This just sucks :(

I hate to be, "That guy", but I've never heard of this person... ALSO! Dan is hilarious. Go watch some of the old Replays over on GI if you don't believe it. I'm sure he'll be a great addition to... IDK, Taco discussions or whatever happens on this site.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
#39 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (4112 posts) -

@zornack said:

Yeah she's not helping anything but she's angry at how her friends are being treated and how she was treated for when she was on the podcast. Regardless of your opinion of that showing she took a whole lot of vile crap that was unnecessary. Taking shots like shes doing doesn't help or solve anything but its not hard to see why she would.

#40 Posted by guanophobic (587 posts) -

Couldn't agree more. Still, there's some part of me that thinks her shit talk about the new hires is taking us down just aswell.. Not in the same magnitude though.

#41 Edited by Draxyle (2019 posts) -

I don't entirely agree with denouncing Giantbomb or the industry over two hires only meant to bring back stability to a tiny crew, especially with the way some of these public figures are doing it, but those piling on with hate in return are much worse than those they hate.

Have to wonder how a lot of these harassers on twitter still have jobs in any workplace.

#42 Edited by Xtrminatr (280 posts) -

@rongalaxy said:
No Caption Provided

She's shitting on the staff for things that people who claim to be a part of the community do? Sorry, but really? That's so fucking absurd. She seems to have a huge issue with the fact that someone else has the spotlight of getting hateful tweets, so she wants to get some to play victim. I understand she took a MESS of shit for her being drunk a few years ago, but holy shit.

The same with people who are saying the entire community is toxic because of what a few shitheads do. They claim to be from Giant Bomb, but for all anyone knows they are just some douchebags that saw a train of hate and decided to hop on it. Generalizations are completely fucking ridiculous in a situation like this. Taking what tens of people are saying, and applying it to thousands upon thousands is so dumb.

And Samantha Allen's tweet to someone with a legit counterpoint to her being "fuck off"... Ok.. your opinions now hold no water, really.

#43 Edited by sparky_buzzsaw (8099 posts) -

Civility, ladies and gentlemen, is the word of the day. Debate all you like, but be civil about it. That's not a specific warning to anyone in particular, it's just a general assessment of what's been going on today. Be the bigger person, be nice, be excellent to each other. Don't let drama build, don't let shit get under your skin, and don't resort to name-calling under any circumstances. Let's show the Internet we're better than that, mmmkay?

#44 Posted by slyspider (1786 posts) -

I can understand why people are saying mean things, TO BE CLEAR, its only because this is the internet and assholes are always being assholes and they should be removed from our site and our community with all due haste. I cannot understand people complaining about lack of diversity. Do they really think Jeff was sitting in a like Neo-Nazi board room with his fake charlie Chaplin mustache burning all the applications from minorities and women while laughing? Does anyone at GB have a sexist streak or anything? Or do they just want the job to go to someone Jeff feels is under qualified just because they have different hormone balances or skin pigmentations?

Well fuck it, I hope this does something to start to expose the people who are being jerks and don't belong in our community

#45 Posted by marcusofadown (89 posts) -

Both sides are being ridiculous.

Horrific responses from assholes because a woman shares her opinion on the new hires.

Someone mentions that the new hires were probably chosen because they were the most qualified, then the same women replies with "Go fuck yourself"

Everyone should just grow the fuck up.

Can you even fathom WHY she responded the way she did? It's not a 50/50 thing with "both sides" acting equally shitty here. Not even close.

#46 Posted by guanophobic (587 posts) -

@zornack said:

She's not over that thing yet? Huh.

#47 Posted by Itwongo (1738 posts) -

No Caption Provided

That's certainly a good way to get me to lose respect for someone. What a terrible way to conduct yourself.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
#48 Edited by alwaysbebombing (2555 posts) -

So, the left and right went to war again, and Giant Bomb was just the unlucky target for the... well... Bombs?

#49 Posted by joetom (199 posts) -

Stuff like this is always frustrating. On one hand, yeah it sucks about lack of diversity. But on this other hand, it seems so unfair to drop all of that one individual example, and get angry at them for not fixing the problem.

None of this changes the fact that I'm sure the assholes "defending" Giant Bomb are probably being fucking awful right now.

#50 Posted by Hampe (256 posts) -

Remember when video games used to be about video games, and not people blowing up and crying about every footnote?

Hey, I think this isn't the way to think about things. You know, considering the media has changed and we're supposed to move forward as the world progresses, we need to discuss and talk about things such as who's going to represent the stuff we love. It's good to question decisions and talk about them.

Video games has become a medium that more and more people embrace, and by such we should allow the medium to evolve by bringing in even more opinions from people that might not get seen that often compared to others.

Video games is fun and cool, but at the same time we're starting to talk about video games being art we need to talk about what video games is in context to todays society. And I do think that games journalism lacks that at times.