What happened to VinnyVania??

xxMERCYxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was just about to watch some of my old favorites from the VinnyVania tab and realized it is gone entirely. Is this a bug? Is this the end of VinnyVania? What is the communities view on the disappearance of VinnyVania?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I think they have to tidy up how many different video series they can keep in the video tab from time to time. VinnyVania, TANG, Load Our Last Save/Souls, Spookin' With Scoops - lots of video series aren't on the video dropdown anymore, so unfortunately you have to manually search for them.

Ironically, video reviews is still in the videos tab, even though they haven't done a new one since 2011's Skyward Sword, and I can't imagine those videos get any traffic.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also @xxmercyxx, this page still exists:

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/vinnyvania/

But I don't think there is any easy way to get to it from the site menus. You have to already be on a VinnyVania video to be offered the link to that VinnyVania show page.

Hey @rorie, any thoughts on how the site organizes older, defunct video series? If I wanted to go back and watch, say, all of the Spookin' with Scoops videos in chronological order, I don't think the site's video search offers an easy way to do that right now.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The vid are linked by game name so if you know the name of the game you can search and go to videos section to find it.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GundamGuru

@xxmercyxx: As to if they'll do more VinnyVanias, I think Vinny's enthusiasm for the series had run out by the time they got through Symphony of the Night. He was getting frustrated with chat basically trying to give him a walkthrough of the game, and at that point the Castlevania games themselves had transitioned to the more conventional Metroidvania formula that wasn't really what Vinny was nostalgic about anyway. He basically blitzed through the last bit of the game and got the bad ending (iirc). Blue Bombin' is basically the spiritual successor to that series, I think, but with Alex at the wheel.

Now that Dan's in New York, I think any "Vinny plays an old game" type stream will be a This is the Run.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

We're in the process of transitioning over to a more robust categorization system for videos, so you may notice that nav dropdown changing as show pages get created and the old categories get replaced. We'll eventually want to have a page that effectively shows every video series we've done, past and present, active and archived.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxmercyxx: As to if they'll do more VinnyVanias, I think Vinny's enthusiasm for the series had run out by the time they got through Symphony of the Night. He was getting frustrated with chat basically trying to give him a walkthrough of the game, and at that point the Castlevania games themselves had transitioned to the more conventional Metroidvania formula that wasn't really what Vinny was nostalgic about anyway. He basically blitzed through the last bit of the game and got the bad ending (iirc). Blue Bombin' is basically the spiritual successor to that series, I think, but with Alex at the wheel.

Now that Dan's in New York, I think any "Vinny plays an old game" type stream will be a This is the Run.

I'm pretty sure the plan was always just the 2d console Castlevanias. Vinny having enough was just good timing.

LeSieg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LeSieg

QLCrew is great for trying to watch all of a specific series. Here's a link for vinnyvania: http://qlcrew.com/?vid_type=vinnyvania

On mobile so I couldn't make it a hyperlink easily :(

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I've been playing Dawn of Sorrow and I started to wonder if Vinny would be playing any more Castlevania's, but then I watched the SotN play through and Vinny's enthusiasm had clearly run out for Castlevania at the end. If he ever wants to start playing them again, I'd actually like to see him play Order of Ecclesia.

Also, the rest of the games are hand held, which might also be a limiting factor.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, the rest of the games are hand held, which might also be a limiting factor.

I don't know why it would be, honestly, they've clearly had no issues playing on emulator on PC before in the series. Or did we think Vinny had a Japanese PC Engine that used 360 controllers?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@jeff: It would be neat if the video tab drop down presented options in alphabetical order.

I think there's only one answer to OP's question: Soul Caliber.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12 chaser324  Moderator

I'm pretty sure the designers and engineers are aware of this issue and are trying to work on improving the situation, but the QLCrew website is a pretty good way to bypass the problem for now.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freedom4556 said:

@justin258 said:

I don't know why it would be, honestly, they've clearly had no issues playing on emulator on PC before in the series. Or did we think Vinny had a Japanese PC Engine that used 360 controllers?

This is actually one of my biggest issues with the site: as much as they cover old games on the site from time to time (Demo Derby, Old Games Show, random UPF segments), they've almost never covered handheld games in any aspect of the site except when they do Quick Looks of new DS/3DS games. I think they maybe played some Game Gear games once on some kind of retro hardware box or something (I may be confusing this with something else, but I swear this happened), but I can't think of a time where they've ever really covered any Game Boy, GBC, or GBA games. Hell, I think it would be cool to do a stream where Jeff tells me some shit I don't know about the WonderSwan or something (though I guess those games would be difficult to play since it never left the Japanese market).

I guess there was that one time on a UPF where Drew played Final Fantasy on his Game Boy Micro, but that's about it. It strikes me as a pretty big blindspot in the site's coverage of older gaming platforms.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

If that means more games like Noctopolis and Tender Loving Care?

I pay that price GLADLY.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Justin258

@freedom4556 said:
@justin258 said:

I actually thought he played Rondo of Blood on the Wii U Virtual Console, but I may be wrong on that one.

Didn't the comments kinda call them out on playing an emulated game when they tried to play Super Mario Bros. 2 and something about the ROM wasn't right and it wouldn't let them pass one of the levels? Seems like they may have shied away from emulation a little after that. And the only way to play the GBA/DS Castlevania games legitimately is with one of the originally released cartridges.

But I still think the primary limiting factor here is just Vinny's waning enthusiasm for these games. That's just me guessing from what I saw in the last Symphony of the Night video, but he and Alex both seemed more than ready for it to be over. If he (or anyone else) is interested in playing more Castlevania, though, then I am definitely interested in watching!

EDIT: OK, I just looked it up, Vinny is totally holding a Wii Classic Controller in his hand while playing Rondo of Blood.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By forteexe21

Vinny should definitely try the GBA/DS games even in 30 minute chunks as a playdate as those games are so good.