• 86 results
#1 Posted by JTMosh (278 posts) -

I don't mean things like "OMGZ I learned how to outrun the cops from GTA!1!!!1!1!1!1!1!!!" I mean what are things you've legitimately learned from video games?

For me it's the definition to the world "simultaneously." It was back when I was quite young (around 9 or 10) playing Mega Man Soccer during the SNES days. I don't remember exactly what the button combination was but I was reading the instruction booklet and it said "Press these two buttons simultaneously to do a super shot" or something like that. I kept trying to figure out what that meant until I accidentally hit them both at the same time. I was like "OOOOOOOOOOOOH, now I get it."

So...anybody else?

#2 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8553 posts) -

absolutely nothing.

#3 Posted by RE_Player1 (8010 posts) -

When I was a kid I learned a lot of words and how to be patient with certain things as they take time. Obviously you can learn these somewhere else but I did through video games. 

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
#4 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2748 posts) -

I've learned to speak English better.

#5 Posted by Soulblitz (376 posts) -

I've no doubt picked up some vocabulary (granted not stuff I'd use in day to day speech) from plenty of lengthy RPGs, but I couldn't get much more specific than that.

#6 Posted by Zinc (207 posts) -

The first Bioshock taught me what the date of Australia Day is. That's about it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

A bit of Japanese, and some refined views of certain philosophies.

#8 Posted by AlisterCat (7367 posts) -

Touching plants makes them grow faster - Persona 4

#9 Edited by valrog (3741 posts) -

First Aid from America's Army.

#10 Posted by Red12b (9360 posts) -

I'm pretty sure I would be able to make my way through New York City relatively easily.

#11 Posted by Diamond (8678 posts) -

Lots of small things, I imagine.  The greater effect was getting me interested in many other subjects by association.  Technology, medieval times, Japan & Japanese, military weaponry & WW2 history...

#12 Posted by Dingofighter (1875 posts) -

I think I learned most of my english from games actually, Pokemon = the best educational game ever!

#13 Posted by ZeForgotten (10368 posts) -

English, and some history stuff. 
Learned more from video games than school could ever teach me which was kinda fun. 

#14 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1283 posts) -

I've picked up a few supplemental vocabulary words from wordier games like Mass Effect - I like to read all of the Codex entries etc.
I don't know if it counts as actual learning, since I know it already, but the little math exercises in DS Brain Training helped speed up my in-head calculations.

#15 Posted by Blackmoore (258 posts) -

I've expanded my vocabulary a bit, but really, nothing too too much.

#16 Edited by Grumbel (1010 posts) -

I learned a lot about military gear through gaming, especially through all those old classic flight simulation. World Games probably thought me a few national anthem, country flags, a bit of geography and weird sports such as caber tossing. And there have been a few games based on actual historic events, some of that probably stuck too. And of course a good bit of english and some BASIC programming.

Overall however I don't think there has been all that much I learned through gaming, especially today's mainstream games just don't have all that much connection to the real world and you mostly just learn stuff related to the game world.

#17 Posted by Jimbo (10472 posts) -

Greek mythology.  A lil bit of history.

#18 Posted by FourWude (2274 posts) -

I learned that one man can take on the world..... and win.

#19 Posted by Galiant (2237 posts) -

I learned a lot of English from games growing up.

Sweden, born and raised.

#20 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (894 posts) -

Ultima 3 on the NES taught me to read beyond the scope of shitty word flashcards/ young children's books.

#21 Posted by Sanious (799 posts) -

That it is just as much of a relevant form of entertainment like Movies/Music/TV. Outside of that nothing really. 

#22 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7812 posts) -

Since I am an RPG fan I have had to do a ton of read which has been great since I am not into books.

#23 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1057 posts) -

From online video games (and the internet in general) I have learned that people fucking suck. As for valuable things I have learned from games... probably vocabulary. DotA also made me very good at mental math.

#24 Posted by Carcharias (85 posts) -

I learned how to jack cars and pick up hookers. 

#25 Posted by smikwily (42 posts) -

I had a short addiction to the arcade version of Ridge Racer when I was in High School. It was the arcade version that you sat down in, etc. A few months later, a van was going down their small hill in winter and they lost their traction. They ended up about halfway into my lane with only a few seconds between me and them. I swear to this day that my driving in Ridge Racer flipped on automatically and I drove around them like it was nothing. I didn't kick the back end out or anything, but I don't remember "thinking" about what to do. I just did it and didn't realize I had until after the fact.

#26 Posted by spaceturtle (1660 posts) -

Nada...

#27 Posted by FourWude (2274 posts) -

I learned that every biatch that needs to be resuced will give you nothing back in return. They just take, even when they barely know you.

ERGO, women are all users.

#28 Posted by Azteck (7416 posts) -
@Galiant said:
" I learned a lot of English from games growing up.  Sweden, born and raised. "
This. Literally all of it. Even the Sweden part.
#29 Posted by wafflez (562 posts) -

Dont work for Umbrella.

Avatar image for themustachehero
#30 Edited by TheMustacheHero (6649 posts) -

Some greek mythology and some new vocabulary.

#31 Edited by GunnBjorn (2905 posts) -

That it's an inane, costly, time-consuming and life-disrupting activity. God, I could've earned a PhD in the meantime!      
Not really, I lack the intellect for that.
All jokes aside, I play games for fun, you know. 
When I come home from work, it's a good way of releasing stress. 
I don't necessarily have to learn anything from games.
#32 Posted by JellyFish_Gsus (771 posts) -

Red barrels will explode; thus why iv never seen a red barrel with my own eyes in the real world.

#33 Posted by armaan8014 (6114 posts) -

Made me more... artistic I feel.
Also got me VERY interested in history.

#34 Posted by Toms115 (2329 posts) -

i've learned that video game writing still has a long way to go (for most games, anyway).

#35 Posted by TheBlackPigeon (335 posts) -

Patience.
#36 Posted by commandercup (525 posts) -

I learned a lot of basic history from Age of Empire 3 and its expansion. Attila of the Huns, Genghis Khan, etc.

#37 Posted by Koobz (428 posts) -

I learned how to siphon gas from a vehicle with a tube and my mouth in Full Throttle.

I learned that flower of Ipecac is a diuretic in the Curse of Monkey Island. 

I learned who Robert Frost was in Grim Fandango.

#38 Posted by Onno10 (394 posts) -

I learned Montezuma was a total dick.

#39 Posted by Fattony12000 (8273 posts) -

I've learnt to 4 shot xX420DDOUBLEOPESMOKAHzXx with my crossmap team shot, whilst rushing the elbow and hitting invis spawn, kk? gg btbkkthxbyejk

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
#40 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5777 posts) -

MGS taught me of PTSD and that missile treaty.

#41 Posted by Mrnitropb (2131 posts) -
@Onno10 said:
" I learned Montezuma was a total dick. "
I learned that on Spring Break.

I have learned to leave micro-cassette recorders everywhere I go, recording all the various sundry and unsavory things i have been up to lately, as well as my bank PIN, where my car keys are, and how to confuse my guard dog. This way, if I ever get amnesia, I can always get home.
#42 Posted by Overwatch (296 posts) -

English. Not that I learned it only from games, but it helped so much that I can credit them. And some facts about WW2 and some guns and similar things. Nothing really huge, expect that English. Videogames really helped me learn it more than I would at the time. (English is not my primary language)

Avatar image for green_incarnate
#43 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1789 posts) -

I guess the most basic thing I can think of is navigating interfaces. Learning a completely new program with a different interface probably comes faster to people who play video games. We basically do that shit every time we buy a new game. The most basic computer literacy.

#44 Posted by gabha (404 posts) -

Like a few people wrote, pretty much most of my English. Gave me huge, huge advantage where I live since it's integral to to having a college education but we only begin being taught the language in High School.

Other than that mostly trivial stuff, some things WW2 and Chinese history (thanks to koei).

#45 Posted by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -

@Overwatch said:

English. Not that I learned it only from games, but it helped so much that I can credit them. And some facts about WW2 and some guns and similar things. Nothing really huge, expect that English. Videogames really helped me learn it more than I would at the time. (English is not my primary language)

That is pretty cool and probably way cheaper than sleazy Rosetta Stone.

#46 Posted by JasonR86 (10178 posts) -

Hand-Eye coordination, patience, perseverance, history and mythology, war and sports strategy, driving strategy, the different aspects of guns both old and new, and planning and tactics. Probably more but I can't think of anything else at the moment.

#47 Posted by AssInAss (3254 posts) -

If you play Braid, you will experience difficulties of time moving forward and expect everything to be reversing any second now.

I was talking to a classmate on the phone, and I was thinking she was speaking in reverse the whole time.

And no I don't do drugs :P

But seriously, action games that test your hand-and-eye coordination really help in things like surgery operations where you're moving a tool inside the body on a camera, which is what we trained in one of our years of medicine.

#48 Posted by Saethir (371 posts) -

Pokemon Blue taught me how to spell confusion.

Also, holy jesus old thread.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
#49 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (848 posts) -

Specifically, the Templar stuff in Broken Sword. Obviously it wasn't 100% accurate because it had to accommodate a story and a game around it, but a lot was spot on, and instilled a curiosity in me to learn more about them.

#50 Posted by falconpunch (181 posts) -

a lot of vocabulary