What if: there was a lady-type in core GB?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@video_game_king said:

@the_nubster said:

If we can all agree, as a community, to never ever ever call a girl a "lady-type"

To be fair, the topic creator is a lady-type who used the term as a joke....I think.

Even if he did, it's kind of strange to refer to a girl as anything but. It strikes me as weird that he would feel the need to ask it so sheepishly.

I feel you missed a pretty big detail.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@the_nubster said:

@video_game_king said:

@the_nubster said:

If we can all agree, as a community, to never ever ever call a girl a "lady-type"

To be fair, the topic creator is a lady-type who used the term as a joke....I think.

Even if he did, it's kind of strange to refer to a girl as anything but. It strikes me as weird that he would feel the need to ask it so sheepishly.

Didn't say anywhere in the post that OP is a girl; I assumed it had to be a guy just by the way the thread title was worded. In that case, her wording seems even more strange, if a little bit less icky.

CheerUpYuko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@the_nubster said:

@video_game_king said:

@the_nubster said:

Yes, he did miss a certain detail there, in spite of his efforts to champion all womankind from inappropriate labeling.

I already explained why I used a stupid term like that earlier in the thread (because I didn't want to have to field a bunch of groaning from people assuming that it was based in aggressive feminist activism just from the title). And I'm afraid I can't promise to never use the term "lady-type" again either. I feel it has... possibilities.

CheerUpYuko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By CheerUpYuko

@the_nubster said:

@video_game_king said:

@the_nubster said:

@video_game_king said:

@the_nubster said:

Didn't say anywhere in the post that OP is a girl; I assumed it had to be a guy just by the way the thread title was worded. In that case, her wording seems even more strange, if a little bit less icky.

I thought I had heavily implied it with this:

@bunnellius said:

I'm not sure if it's my fault as a viewer for feeling this way (some kind of primal female competitiveness effect that's making me allergic to other female gamers?), or if what I would like just isn't out there for me yet.

But I guess readers often just lightly skim posts and may miss out on cues like that. I don't know... it does irk me to be referred to as a 'he', but I also don't want to have to start every post with: "Hey y'all, I'm a laaaaaaaaaady!" either. That would just feel like a kind of "girl-gamer" (puke!) attention-seeking that I'd rather avoid.

I blame this on all the guys who use women as their internet avatars. J'accuse! You've ruined it for all us lady-types!

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bunnellius: I actually went back and read over your post twice and I still missed that. I guess my reading comprehension is just lacking. Sorry!

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arach666 said:

Now that I know Cara Ellison applied for GB I have no doubts to whom I would like to see with the crew if they hire a woman,Cara is great!

I feel the exact same way. She is pretty great.

To be fair though,my first pick would always go to Carrie Gouskos,but I don´t think she´s ever coming back into games journalism.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I had heavily implied it with this:

@bunnellius said:

I'm not sure if it's my fault as a viewer for feeling this way (some kind of primal female competitiveness effect that's making me allergic to other female gamers?), or if what I would like just isn't out there for me yet.

But I guess readers often just lightly skim posts and may miss out on cues like that. I don't know... it does irk me to be referred to as a 'he', but I also don't want to have to start every post with: "Hey y'all, I'm a laaaaaaaaaady!" either. That would just feel like a kind of "girl-gamer" (puke!) attention-seeking that I'd rather avoid.

I blame this on all the guys who use women as their internet avatars. J'accuse! You've ruined it for all us lady-types!

I blame it on guys with avatars of women or girls on it. No way I can tell whether the poster is a woman anymore.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

@arach666 said:
@themanwithnoplan said:
@arach666 said:

Now that I know Cara Ellison applied for GB I have no doubts to whom I would like to see with the crew if they hire a woman,Cara is great!

I feel the exact same way. She is pretty great.

To be fair though,my first pick would always go to Carrie Gouskos,but I don´t think she´s ever coming back into games journalism.

She was my first pick as well, but as you said she's pretty much out of the biz. :( Although, we know for a fact Cara submitted an application. When I found that out she became a front runner personally.

I really just hope we're introduced to these new hires sometime soon. I'm guessing all that will start to roll out shortly after Vinny's send off. Maybe in the next few weeks?

CheerUpYuko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster:

Np, sorry if I got tetchy at all in my responses.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#310  Edited By joshwent

Nice! I can't wait to see your thoughts in like 4 years when that game's over. ;)

Really though, I haven't yet played P4 myself, but there are so many different ways that the story can go, with being able to do different things on your time off, advance different social links, etc., that I think it'll be cool to see how your playthrough starts to veer away from Vinny and Jeff's.

I blame it on guys with avatars of women or girls on it. No way I can tell whether the poster is a woman anymore.

I hate to tell you, but I'm not actuallyCoffy.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bunnellius: Not a problem. Not like I sounded much better by attacking your phrasing. No hard feelings.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Of course! The staff have been looking for a woman, but for obvious reasons you can't hire someone just based on gender. It's hard enough to find someone with drive, talent, and that mingles well with the group. Let alone find someone belonging to a specific group of people. But any opportunity for diversity is always good. However, the professional qualities should come first. This is applicable to most jobs.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hell yeah. Please, please don't just do it for eye-candy though. The women some of the other sites get are obviously vetted on looks, not content. I'm not a 14yo that clicks through because a hot lady is going to give me the latest gaming news. IGN is a tragedy.

I'd love to see Carrie in with the boys. Warhammer is no longer around, so maybe she's free????