What is a video game thought you know is probably wrong but refuse to budge on?

• 118 results
trh5001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Mine is that all non fmv/vr first person games would be better as 3rd person games.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Carmelo Anthony (2008-2016) is the best video game basketball player of all time. To be fair, I also unreasonably argue this point in real life.

DARKSOULS1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DARKSOULS1988

Dune 2000 was better than any command and conquer

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Suikoden IV is better than I and III.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CoD got bad when it left WW2.

Kercheiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mashing the buttons after falling off the course in Mario Kart makes you recover faster

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I definitely see the Amiga systems and UK/EU games of the 8bit and 16bit era through much stronger rose tinted glasses than they should be - but I have no intention of getting a more realistic view on this.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Onemanarmyy

The cat-hair moustache puzzle in Gabriel Knight 3 is fine and makes total sense.

You are a blonde haired man trying to look like a balding detective with a stubble. Naturally you will have to obfuscate your face and hair if you want to have any chance of passing as him during an ID check. Just wearing his favorite blazer is not enough to transform you into a different person! So you find the hat to hide your hair underneath and you obfuscate your face by sticking a big moustache in the middle of it.

The real puzzle-monsters are those in which you have to suddenly create a latin phrase out of the letters in `Et in Arcadia ego`, so i hope you have learned about the words Arcam, Dei, Tango and Iesu in the real world.

Or being able to spot black binocs on a black moped seat. Or that time when you need to spot black footprints on a very messy 3d grass-texture. Or that puzzle where you kinda have to guess whether Solomon's temple was built horizontally or vertically on your map.

trh5001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bondfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Zelda Minish Cap is the best Zelda game.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I feel the original Dark Souls with shitty inconsistent framerate was the best Dark Souls.
It somehow hammered home the miasmic oppression of Blighttown that much better,
almost as if your PC or console was there feeling the pain with you,
and the games in this series feel wrong and bad at higher more consistent framerates.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By TopCat88

Call of Duty's TTK (Time to kill) is way too short and I have no interest in playing it until it's gets longer.

This grudge started when Halo MP started getting too close to CoD after Halo 4. I know it's irrational.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call of Duty's TTK (Time to kill) is way too short and I have no interest in playing it until it's gets longer.

This grudge started when Halo MP started getting too close to CoD after Halo 4. I know it's irrational.

bondfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topcat88: Warzone does fix this problem but even still you can die real fast sometimes with full armor

Retroshaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should NOT begin with Yakuza 0 but start with the original PS2 yakuza 1 instead. Playing the whole series in order of release instead of chronological is a much better experience.

That being said, that's a crazy amount of commitment to ask from someone who isn't even sure if he would like the series. So 90% of the time, starting with 0 is the most sensible option. Especially since most people are probably only be playing one game and not the 6 others (and most likely will skip to Like a Dragon).

Anyway, I get irrationally annoyed when people begin with 0 + Kiwami and then complain about the rest of the series feeling too old and how they drop it at Yakuza 3.

Chillster7000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This world needs a new NFL Street

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the new Bluepoint remasters look terrible. They're overly busy and no sense of aesthetic design.

vallian88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyan Worlds games are the pinnacle of gaming.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By Mezmero

Controller ergonomics are probably the best they've ever been right now HOWEVER, we need to de-couple our gamepads! The Wii-mote+Nunchuck combo was a revelation for me in realizing that the common controller posture is so much harder on my wrists, shoulders, and elbows than they need to be. I can still handle them fine mostly but the older I get I'm feeling less and less like I can truly relax while playing my video games with a gamepad. If and when I get a Switch I plan to double-fist joycons to keep em' separate but equal.

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Monday Night Combat was the best MOBA ever made. RIPD

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By AV_Gamer

Fortnite got bad after it blew up and became a cultural phenom. It still might be the same good battleground game it was before it got sickly popular, but I haven't played it after the whole E-Sports shill Ninja and celebrates started playing it, and I'm proud of it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I genuinely think Lightning Returns is fantastic so if I’m wrong about that, I don’t want to be right!

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old Hitman is way better than the new Gen Hitman.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

LooterJennings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battleborn was a fun video game that deserved to live.

I mostly appreciated that they'd let you grind in the single-player modes.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo series doesn't have a story beyond humans fighting aliens (and occasionally aliens fighting aliens) or any consistent lore . They cobbled together every random thought somebody had during development into what they call "story" and left fan-fiction writers to fill in the gaps. Just because nobody can understand what's going on doesn't mean that it's deep or profound.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's more important for a videogame story to put you in entertaining situations than it having to make sense and it's characters behave in a rational way.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokemon is an infantile baby game, and needed 800 identical sequels even less than the Olson Twins games

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Breath of the Wild is impressive from a design perspective but punishing and unfun to play

Avatar image for lapsariangiraff
lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The combat in Mass Effect 1 was better than Mass Effect 2 and 3.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All loot in loot games are completely meaningless when you're just going to walk 5 feet and find something that is one point higher than what you currently have.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like opening gacha's and loot boxes and I will not stop (opening responsibly).

lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brian_: I totally get this. When the loot drip is less of a drip and more a hose, it's just a hassle.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#35 fisk0  Moderator

As a counterpoint to the OP, every time I play a third person game - especially the Gears of War types that try to make it seem like there's a camera operator following the action with shaky cam and all that stuff - I wish could play as the person holding the camera instead.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3D fighting games like Tekken and Dead or Alive solve all the inherent flaws in 2D fighting games.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The separate arrow buttons on the left joycon are better than any D-Pad.

(I often have accidental diagonal presses on d-pads, separate buttons eliminate that entirely).

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Half Life games are boring, and have bad level design.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know that Konquest Mode in Mortal Kombat Deception is a haphazard dumpster-fire of an action RPG, but I've played through it three times and had a blast.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm really good at DJ Hero.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Burnout Paradise is not the best game of that generation.

It's not the best racing game of that generation.

Hell, it's not even the best Burnout game of that generation.

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Driv3r is an okay game... I think it in the UK it came out a week or two early (not a good sign) and my local shop gave me a cardboard stand of the game they *really* wanted to get rid of.

I thought it was better than GTA 3... kinda still do...

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Final Fantasy pre FF7 told more grounded, relatable stories while avoiding a lot of anime tropes.

The OG XBox was a better console than the PS2.

Soul Calibur/Blade was the best of the series.

Total Annihilation is the pinnacle of real time strategy games.

Diablo 1 was far more entertaining than Diablo 2.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CoD got bad when it left WW2.

I can vibe with this. CoD2's campaign is so good and long.

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@sravankb: I mean yes. And I really love Paradise or rather I love the idea of it. It’s a game I love restarting, those early moments are fantastic and then yeah...

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The "Last of Us" games are completely 3/5 games

eltopo715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: totally agree. the sequel is a little more thematically ambitious than the first, but they're both immaculately produced reworkings of the pop-nihilist "what if man is the real monster" cliche

lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Fallout New Vegas's only positive aspect is its writing and role-playing stuff (as in, playing out a character). Everything else about it is varying degrees of bad. I can live with all of the bad of that game for the sake of its story and world-building, except for one thing - the open world design. It is the most boring open world I have ever participated in, more boring than anything Ubisoft has ever put out. Everywhere you go, everything you see, somehow manages to be so uninteresting to look at and travel across that the few bright points you see are just buried under sand and a visual piss filter that makes me wish I was looking at launch 360 Deus Ex Human Revolution. The incessant fucking crickets put the nail in that game's coffin for me.

Well, for vanilla at least. Some visual mods and a mod to shut the damn crickets up made that game playable enough for me to almost finish it, but I just couldn't make myself fight through waves and waves of dudes to get to the ending. I want to like that game a whole hell of a lot more than I actually do.

I don't really have any other opinions that I "know" are wrong or anything like that. I have a few opinions I've thought over for a long time (Joel's actions at the end of The Last of Us are justified, Tomb Raider 2013 is a better game than any of the previous Uncharteds but not a better game than Uncharted 4), but I don't think those are wrong, necessarily.

Actually, I wrote that, and before I hit post I thought of another one. I've played the console versions of Pillars of Eternity and Baldur's Gate and their control schemes are equally as viable as a keyboard and mouse. No, really, I'm not joking. The simple act of changing locomotion from Diablo-esque clicking on the ground to PS1 Final Fantasy-esque driving the party with the analog stick makes running around and exploring and talking to people so much more immersive than click-click-click-click-click-click a hundred times every second.

(The actual truth is that the console versions of Pillars and Baldur's Gate prove that these isometric RTWP RPGs are absolutely viable with a controller while also proving that, much like first person shooters, it's noticeably slower and less accurate. Since they're all single-player games*, this really comes down to preference as far as controls go).

(*I am aware that Baldur's Gate has multiplayer, but I've never heard of anyone actually playing it).