What is a video game thought you know is probably wrong but refuse to budge on?

• 118 results
theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn both have terrible combat, aggravating loot systems and even worse UI. They are both very pretty games that fail at every gameplay aspect. Both games also tell extremely unfocused and boring stories that somehow actually come together in pretty satisfying third acts. So I guess both games would have been better if they were more focused.

I would probably add Red Dead Redemption to this list but I couldn't stand it for more than a couple hours, so I can't tell if it ends strong or not.

The Witcher 2 is a better game than 3.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The cat-hair moustache puzzle in Gabriel Knight 3 is fine and makes total sense.

OH SWEET JESUS.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@sethmode: i can double down on this.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

While adventure games like Grim Fandango and Monkey Island have awesome worlds, entertaining puzzles and colorful characters, Gabriel Knight 3's blend of fiction , myth and reality makes it the most immersive adventure game. By putting these characters in a french hotel and letting them explore the region on their own as well with their tour-guide group, makes for a lovely vacation-vibe. And there's just enough real-world mystery in here that everytime i end up finishing this game, i know that i will be spending an hour or two reading up about reverend Sauniere, Merovingians and the Stewart family. Or checking out how well the devs re-created hallmarks of the actual village.

BonafideGinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Dead 2 is a great spectacle, and an interesting case study for having as close to infinite resources and time as a game can have.

On the other hand, it misses the point of the medium. Dredged down in unresponsive, contextualised controls and decrepitly long animations, the game actively fights you when you try to play it.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 24

All Metal Gear Solid game, especially those branded "A Hideo Kojima Game", are bad in one way or another.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 24

#107  Edited By infantpipoc
@sombre said:

The "Last of Us" games are completely 3/5 games

I agree! To all those scored it 5/5: please score it more reasonably when the feeling of losing your shit has past.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Final Fantasy was always bad

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animal Crossing and all games of the like are dumb boring chore simulators.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't play the Senran Kagura games for the "plot."

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Any type of "card" in a game ruins it

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

some quick hits from games i played for the first time this past year:

-having completed NieR:Automata and getting all the way through to the 'true' ending- that game is not as interesting or subversive as i was lead to believe. it felt like a very evangelion-esque tale of existential anime dread...which is cliche at this point.

-Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience is an interesting toolset with an extremely repetitive mission set. it gives you fun options in an environment that gets old very fast.

-i share @anywhereilay's thoughts on Red Dead Redemption II's clunkiness (not terribly controversial) but i'll go one further to say- 90% of RDR2's emotional beats didn't land for me. Dutch is an unsympathetic antagonist, and Arthur's development didn't resonate as deeply as i had hoped.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#113  Edited By impartialgecko

The standardisation of control schemes is bad. Games should still pull an MGS3 and make you hold hold two shoulder buttons and a face button to ADS and fire. Modern games limit verbs and methods of interaction by all using the same vocabulary.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#114 sweep  Moderator

American accents should never be used in a medieval setting.

Avatar image for ithas2besaidkvo
ItHas2BeSaidKVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By ItHas2BeSaidKVO

@liquiddragon: I was amazed by the audacity of giving you an OP as fuck fighting move only AFTER you've fought the last boss thereby giving you no actual circumstances in which to use said move.

Mine is: I pray I'm long dead in the ground before the whole of society considers esports to be on the respectability/prestige level of even sports that people only give a shit about during the Olympics such as biathlons or BMX riding. Because remember folks, at the end of the day, all esports are is just marketing.

silenTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ship to ship combat in AC games suck.

My ending to mass effect 3 (green) is my canon ending. I haven't replayed it, haven't seen other endings, haven't seen the fixed stuff.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

Radical Heights was, by far, the best battle royale game ever made and I'm still mad that it's gone.

trh5001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

Final Fantasy pre FF7 told more grounded, relatable stories while avoiding a lot of anime tropes.

The OG XBox was a better console than the PS2.

Soul Calibur/Blade was the best of the series.

Total Annihilation is the pinnacle of real time strategy game

Diablo 1 was far more entertaining than Diablo 2.

You are absolutely right about FF7 and Diablo

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#120  Edited By tatsuyarr

Dreamcast was a far superior console to the PS2 and the success of the latter is only due to the blind faith of Sony's fans. I know it's completely irrational but I just want to believe it.

dasakamov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City wasn't nearly as bad as everyone thought it was, and was the only way you could enjoy an RE with friends since Resident Evil Outbreak.

Editor's Note: Resident Evil: Outbreak 1 and 2 were the first (and only) RE games DasaKamov had played until RE 4 and 5.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theonewhoplays: yes. I totally agree! Especially the witcher 2 being a better game. Personally I would say the witcher 1 is even better.