What is going to happen to graphics when...

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Yukoei

They cant get any better? i mean sure they will keep improving but when the look near identical to real life what will happen from there? They cant get any better than real life. So what, all games will look the same, none better than others? O_o

PS: I mean the games going for a photo-realistic style of graphics.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Yukoei

They cant get any better? i mean sure they will keep improving but when the look near identical to real life what will happen from there? They cant get any better than real life. So what, all games will look the same, none better than others? O_o

PS: I mean the games going for a photo-realistic style of graphics.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By torus

Do all movies look identical? Do all games look identical NOW? No, of course not. That is because only a fraction of games aim for graphical 'realism'. There's a reason game developers employ artists- because the 'art' in games is something creative, not just replicating reality. As games become more technically advanced, you will see artists taking greater advantage of it, and making more beautiful games. Moreover, there is far more to how a game looks that it's art assets- just like in films, everything from lighting to setting affects the game's atmosphere.

If you don't understand what art is beyond copying reality, do yourself a favor and go to a fucking museum.  

[edit] This is why 14 year old gamers don't get any respect.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By pause422

Not even close to all games go for a photo realistic look. Plenty have their own specific art style that isnt going for real life whatsoever. I dont think you really need to worry about that. There is still plenty happening within each engine, and it will continue to, so that even games that all go for photo realism still look noticeably different.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yukoei
@torus said:
" Do all movies look identical? Do all games look identical NOW? No, of course not. That is because only a fraction of games aim for graphical 'realism'. There's a reason game developers employ artists- because the 'art' in games is something creative, not just replicating reality. As games become more technically advanced, you will see artists taking greater advantage of it, and making more beautiful games. Moreover, there is far more to how a game looks that it's art assets- just like in films, everything from lighting to setting affects the game's atmosphere. If you don't understand what art is beyond copying reality, do yourself a favor and go to a fucking museum.  "
Sorry, I meant all games o\going for a realism thing.
TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#5  Edited By TobyD81

Then there will continue to be new special effects and camera techniques. I suppose that if you extrapolate the "realism" quality in graphics, we'll reach a point where stuff can be modeled and look indistinguishable from real life, but then the stuff that's added on to that will be how graphics go forward. Outside of that, non-realistic art styles will also grow and change. I think that in future generations of games, even the next console generation, advancements in graphics will start to become less important than advancements in physics, AI, and player interaction.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By VoshiNova
@torus said:
" Do all movies look identical? Do all games look identical NOW? No, of course not. That is because only a fraction of games aim for graphical 'realism'. There's a reason game developers employ artists- because the 'art' in games is something creative, not just replicating reality. As games become more technically advanced, you will see artists taking greater advantage of it, and making more beautiful games. Moreover, there is far more to how a game looks that it's art assets- just like in films, everything from lighting to setting affects the game's atmosphere. If you don't understand what art is beyond copying reality, do yourself a favor and go to a fucking museum.    [edit] This is why 14 year old gamers don't get any respect. "
Holy shit man, harsh.
I think Yukoei specifically said games that were aiming for the realistic approach to graphical quality. In which case it's a good question, and I couldn't answer it. :p

But damn torus chill out, great name by the way- real original.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

Here's the interesting thing about all consoles and their capability of graphics:  by the end of a console's life span, the graphics don't necessarily get better - the art style and use of it does.

Avatar image for loadedviciousdfl
loadedVICIOUSdfl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By loadedVICIOUSdfl
@torus:
@torus:

man thats a asshole thing to say
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Red

Games will have a greater emphasis on the artistic and cinematics of their graphics.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Slippy

Maybe the gameplay finally will?

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By DanielJW

I will be able to fully leave behind the real world.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Kazona

When games going for realism finally look like the real thing, then developers will have to start coming up with (new) ways to diversify.

loadedVICIOUSdfl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By loadedVICIOUSdfl

the scope of game will go crazy to. it would be sick to play through a scene from a huge action movie. ........like running through newyork (super realistic) and it just blowing up around you

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Akeldama
@loadedVICIOUSdfl said:
"  it would be sick to play through a scene from a huge action movie. "
dude have you played Uncharted 2?
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee

The game characters themselves will invade reality.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's called crysis because crysis warhead and crysis 2 won't look any better because of their lousy textures. I don't know I suppose that's the ultimate goal, a game like crysis with bigger levels alot of physics and less art design. I mean uncharted 2 looks good, however even with 100% of the cell processor graphics can't create anything that looks like crysis on very high settings on higher resolution. I belive during the ps4 and xbox720 era, we will be seeing graphics for alot of games that would look like these screenshots, however not right now. We might be two generation from fully photorealistic graphics where there is less room for art design because the technical graphics are too good. 

There is more art design when there is a lack of technical graphics for 3d graphics, look at the ps2 and the wii depending on art design and look at ps3 xbox360 depending on half art design and crysis depending on almost photo realism. The more technical graphics an engine is capable of, the less room there is for art design and more for realism, ex crysis on very high.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#17  Edited By dudacles
@TobyD81 said:
"I think that in future generations of games, even the next console generation, advancements in graphics will start to become less important than advancements in physics, AI, and player interaction. "

I completely disagree. Games these days always look decent, but when a new physics engine gets put out, it really can amaze me, more so than graphical realism does.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By flaminghobo
@torus said:

" Do all movies look identical? Do all games look identical NOW? No, of course not. That is because only a fraction of games aim for graphical 'realism'. There's a reason game developers employ artists- because the 'art' in games is something creative, not just replicating reality. As games become more technically advanced, you will see artists taking greater advantage of it, and making more beautiful games. Moreover, there is far more to how a game looks that it's art assets- just like in films, everything from lighting to setting affects the game's atmosphere. If you don't understand what art is beyond copying reality, do yourself a favor and go to a fucking museum.    [edit] This is why 14 year old gamers don't get any respect. "

Do all people think identically? Do all people think identically NOW? No, of course not. That is because only a fraction of people think the way you do, and there is no need to be so harsh when stating your ideals and opinion. Do yourself a favour a take a fucking chill pill.

[edit] My, oh my. Do 14 year old gamers get respect now?
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

PlayStation 9?

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lemegeton

i hope we get to this point and gameplay becomes the focus once again. im not saying i dont enjoy the gameplay in games now but certain genres need a bit of innovation

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By evanbrau
@HitmanAgent47:  I will never get tired of looking at Crysis, someday I will finish college and have enough money for a gaming PC again and finally play it.

As for when games finally achieve photo realism, well if thats what they are going for then that'll be great for those games but it doesn't mean that everyone will just say "oh fuck we can make everything look like real life now, lets do that!!!". There will still be room for games with unique artstyles.

Also: 200th post!
AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By AlexB
@torus: Get off your period mate. Sheesh!
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dbz1995
 Looks great-not realistic
 Looks great-not realistic
Its a good question. A bit like what will music do when every note and tune has been recorded-I just think that that is when game designers will create a different approach towards graphics-I mean, its already happening now.
  Lets take, for example, Final Fantasy XIII. It does look great-but, IMO, Final Fantasy has never tried to look exactly realistic. Each of them have a slightly surreal touch which makes them look different from other games-and, therefore, it is easier to distinguish Final Fantasy from oter games just by a picture. There aren't really that many games that will go for exact realism-else the game won't be incredibly fun to look at anyway. Grand Theft Auto would benefit from this, but only by a small amount.
 I don't personally think there is such thing as 'perfect graphics'-every game has a different style which, when technology has become that advanced-which might not happen for a large period of years-will still shine out and will be the true beauty of the game.
 Also, we still have got virtual reality, don't we, that'll take around 250 years, won't it? Amirite?
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By JJWeatherman
@HitmanAgent47:  I hate it when people casually throw out "Xbox 720". It sounds stupid and is VERY unlikely that it will end up being the name. Xbox 3 serves the purpose just fine I think. Sorry, had to let the world know my views.    :P
loadedVICIOUSdfl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By loadedVICIOUSdfl
@Akeldama:
nope not yet ...........but i plan on it in the next week or so
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Stylized Graphics
 Stylized Graphics
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Diamond
@Yukoei said:
They cant get any better? i mean sure they will keep improving but when the look near identical to real life what will happen from there? They cant get any better than real life. So what, all games will look the same, none better than others? O_o  PS: I mean the games going for a photo-realistic style of graphics.
It's more of a matter of when games can hit photorealism without much effort in terms of development costs and man hours.  There are games like Crysis and Uncharted 2 which are very good, not near photorealism at all times yet, but very good.  That level of graphics could be possible in every 360, PS3, and PC game today, yet it's not.  It simply costs too much money.  A true photo real game in the future we can assume will cost more, maybe not exponentially more because development tools will also improve, but more.  So the first roadblock is technical limitations (which are still present in ANY hardware), the second is development costs.

If both of those are finally broken, people will simply care less.  People would have bemoaned the lack of color in movies and TV, but now that we've had color for many decades people don't worry about that as much anymore.

Obviously art is very important no matter what level of technology or development we're at, but apparently that isn't what the OP is talking about.
TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#28  Edited By TobyD81
@dudacles said:
" @TobyD81 said:
"I think that in future generations of games, even the next console generation, advancements in graphics will start to become less important than advancements in physics, AI, and player interaction. "
 I completely disagree. Games these days always look decent, but when a new physics engine gets put out, it really can amaze me, more so than graphical realism does. "
Isn't that what I said? Sorry if my point wasn't clear, but I feel the same way as you: graphics are good and will continue to get better, but this wont be as important as those other things.
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hockeymask27
@Kazona said:

" When games going for realism finally look like the real thing, then developers will have to start coming up with (new) ways to diversify. "

Then that will be they day we go back to the awesomeness uniqueness i miss from 2d games like Mario/lion king and most 2d games. Cant Wait!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By penguindust

When games finally cross the "uncanny valley" and reach the point of photo realism, the action based genres will become murder simulators and teach our children to kill with ease.  Once we don our virtual reality shades and go for head shots in realms of such graphical fidelity that the mock battles are indistinguishable from front line service, we will be training a generation of soldiers who've slaughtered more people before their 13th birthday than have been killed in all the wars throughout history.   

And that's when the real fun begins.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#31  Edited By dudacles
@TobyD81 said:
" @dudacles said:
" @TobyD81 said:
 I completely disagree. Games these days always look decent, but when a new physics engine gets put out, it really can amaze me, more so than graphical realism does. "
Isn't that what I said? Sorry if my point wasn't clear, but I feel the same way as you: graphics are good and will continue to get better, but this wont be as important as those other things. "
LMAO

I actually meant to type "I completely agree!" :p

Sorry, a weird typo. You weren't unclear at all, I feel exactly the same way as you, I don't know why I put disagree instead of agree.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iam3green

games will always be upgraded to different styles. the best graphics out there right now is cyrsis, crysis warhead.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By TwoOneFive
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" It's called crysis because crysis warhead and crysis 2 won't look any better because of their lousy textures. I don't know I suppose that's the ultimate goal, a game like crysis with bigger levels alot of physics and less art design. I mean uncharted 2 looks good, however even with 100% of the cell processor graphics can't create anything that looks like crysis on very high settings on higher resolution. I belive during the ps4 and xbox720 era, we will be seeing graphics for alot of games that would look like these screenshots, however not right now. We might be two generation from fully photorealistic graphics where there is less room for art design because the technical graphics are too good. 

There is more art design when there is a lack of technical graphics for 3d graphics, look at the ps2 and the wii depending on art design and look at ps3 xbox360 depending on half art design and crysis depending on almost photo realism. The more technical graphics an engine is capable of, the less room there is for art design and more for realism, ex crysis on very high.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
"
UGHHH!!! I knew you had to be a fucking crysis dork. After that stupid ass uncharted thread you made.  
and dude, this game doesnt look better than life, it looks fake as balls. looks great for a game but come on. 
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Wolverine
@torus said:
"If you don't understand what art is beyond copying reality, do yourself a favor and go to a fucking museum.    [edit] This is why 14 year old gamers don't get any respect. "
Was it really necessary to insult the kid?
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By torus
@Wolverine:  
Ok, I'm sorry guys. I was having a bit of a shit day. I shouldn't have been such an asshole.