What is Johann Sebastian Joust?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

I'm getting tired of hearing about Johann Sebastian Joust, mostly because every time someone talks about it they act like it's the second coming of the videogame gods, and then point to an abstractly written article about how it's redefining gameswhich explains absolutely nothing about it's true nature. Is it even a videogame? if it isn't a videogame why does Patrick keep talking about it? And why is there no gamepage for it? From what I collect about it, people just sorta roleplay and stand around swinging at each other with move controllers.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Yeah I'm not sure what's going on with that, either, absolutely no one is willing to actually discuss what's involved in the game. Very bizarre.

EDIT: there actually is a game page on here. The description of gameplay is thus: "The game currently uses the PlayStation Move controller, as players try to make their opponents controllers move too much to make them lose and still keep their own controller still and protected from the others."

Fuck it. This is probably gonna turn out to be the video game equivalent of Emperor's New Clothes or some shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

It's a secret. If I told you, I would have to kill you. *bond theme plays*

...In all seriousness though, I have no idea.

EDIT: Here is a link to their(?) website.

Also I suppose that it is named after Johann Sebastian Bach.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By phish09

That article that you posted a link to explains exactly what the game is...and it sounds amazing.

It's basically Tag with Move controllers.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#5  Edited By StarvingGamer

The only rules:

• Move too fast and your Move controller turns red
  • The speed you can move is dictated by the tempo of the music currently being played

Everything else is whatever you can imagine. What makes Johann Sebastian Joust unique what it introduces physically, socially, and organically to video games and the possibilities of what a video game can be.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By AlexW00d

You remember that bit on the BLLSL where Patrick, Alex, Steve (I think) and the other intern dude I forgot the name of (sorry dude) held their move controllers and touched one another? That.

E: I forgot Brad, sorry.

A_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By A_Dog

Didn't they play it on a Happy Hour?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mikemcn

@MarkWahlberg said:

Yeah I'm not sure what's going on with that, either, absolutely no one is willing to actually discuss what's involved in the game. Very bizarre.

It makes it seem extremely pretentious, as if actually telling people what occurs in the game, factually, would ruin it for the few people who've been able to experience it and who talk about it so glowingly.

@AlexW00d said:

You remember that bit on the BLLSL where Patrick, Alex, Steve (I think) and the other intern dude I forgot the name of (sorry dude) held their move controllers and touched one another? That.

I missed a bunch of the BLLSL. I'll try and hunt that down.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By I_smell

They've played it on some subscriber videos, and The Big Live LIve Show Live.

You all hold PlayStation Move controllers, and if your controller shakes, then it turns red and you're out. The last person still active is the winner.
The game is to push and shake up the other players' controllers, while holding yours still. There are no rules, so throwing chairs at people, booting people, suplexing people is permitted and encouraged. 
The music will go faster and slower- when it plays faster, you have more room to shake around. When it plays slower, you have to be really still.
also SEARCH IT ON YOUTUBE, IDIOT
  It's not redefining videogames, this is just a new "game" like tig or musical chairs. It just happens to use PlayStation Move controllers.
Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spoonman671

It's this thing that isn't really a video game, but it uses a Move controller so we have to hear about it anyway.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Mikemcn said:

And why is there no gamepage for it?

There is a page; it's just not indexed, so you can't access it without a link.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Slaker117

It's a game played with PlayStation move controllers. Each player holds one controller. The controllers are set up to detect movement, and if they are moved too fast, they turn red, and that player it "out". The objective is to stay "in" as long as possible by any means necessary.

I wouldn't call it a video game simply because it does not involve video, but it is definitely a game, and it uses computer programs to function, so the argument can be made that it at least a computer game.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#14  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Mikemcn said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

It makes it seem extremely pretentious, as if actually telling people what occurs in the game, factually, would ruin it for the few people who've been able to experience it and who talk about it so glowingly.

Taken from the article linked in the OP:

"...there's only one rule hardwired into its barebones logic system: If you move your controller beyond the acceptable motion threshold, you lose.

The Mac-based game client reads the gyroscopic output of each players' Move controllers, distributing a warning rumble to players who approach that threshold; or a deafening, game-ending boom to those who pass it. The meat of the game – the manner in which you jostle your opponents' controllers while defending your own – is left purely to the invention and adjudication of its two-to-seven players."

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mikemcn

@MattyFTM said:

This is Johann Sebastian Joust. (that's the video of it from the Big Live Live Show Live). It's awesome.

Thanks!

@Video_Game_King said:

@Mikemcn said:

And why is there no gamepage for it?

There is a page; it's just not indexed, so you can't access it without a link.

It's so hipster the Giant Bomb search function isn't even allowed to know about it, woah. Thanks!

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Well then, the question becomes: Why is that so hard to say? The coverage for this game -even on this site, BLLSL coverage excepted- has been so deliberately obtuse that it just gives what is apparently a simple party game using PS3 mechanics a weird and 'elitist' game vibe. "All the cool kids already know what this is, so we shouldn't have to explain it!"

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By laserbolts

It seems really dumb from what i've seen but that just me I guess.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Red

It actually seems really fun, but the requirements for it are just way too damn steep. Maybe one day we'll see an iPhone version or something.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Adamsons

Imagine the movie Fight Club but everyone is holding a dildo.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By Justin258

@Adamsons said:

Imagine the movie Fight Club but everyone is holding a dildo.

With Bach playing in the background.

tadros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By tadros

It's a game that was played during the Big Live Live Show Live! 2011. Looks awesome.