What is the difference between a Zelda clone and a Metroidvania?

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTA_Luciana

At their core, both genres are about an open world in which certain areas are locked off until you get the power or item to unlock them.

Is it solely a presentation thing? Is the sole defining factor of a Zelda clone its unrelenting copying of Ocarina of Time?

In 2D, one could argue that Zelda clones are top down while Metroidvanias are sidescrolling. Does this make Zelda II: The Adventure of Link a Metroidvania game?

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By cloneslayer

Well you could draw parallels but I wouldn't say they are the same. Zelda is an open world with specific dungeons you enter, while a Metroidvania type game has no dungeons per-say, but one big world. Also I've never seen a zelda map grid paper.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Romination

...MIND FUCK.

I suppose that could be true, but Adventures of Link was also a top-down game. It gets confusing.

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SuperSecretAgenda

Zelda is mostly about moving foward, clearing puzzles and what not 

Metroid is more about having the right items, going backwards to find said right items, and then moving past something you could not before.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Dalai

Zelda relies heavily on puzzle solving  and dungeon crawling while Metroidvania games are more about exploration. Those similarities are striking, but so are the differences.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By buzz_clik

I never thought about it before, but in that respect I guess they are similar. Obviously the main difference, as you say, is the way it's presented. So to fall under the specific umbrella of a Metroidvania I'd say it still has to be a side-scrolling affair. 

The Zelda titles also have the dungeons that split the games into distinct 'levels', whereas a Metroidvania is more a sprawling map that has less defined areas. A Metroidvania has boss battles you need to complete (usually, but not always, in a specific order) and it could be argued that is what creates its levels, but those games usually have the option to explore in a few directions at once.

Also Zelda II has the map bits and more of the wandering into towns, etc. It's an interesting point, but don't think it qualifies.

Wow, I typed way more than I probably should have there.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By darkvare

well zelda clones imitate zelda, metroidvania refers to only castlevania games that mimic metroid progress extructure for example shadow complex is not a metroidvania but a metroid clone (a very good one but a clone none the less)

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By xyzygy

Zelda clones are based around bosses which protect items. 

Metroidvania uses a map with a percentage complete thing, and a lot of upgrades and/or weapons. 

I think the key thing is that Zelda clones revolve around items, bosses and dungeons while the Metroidvanias revolve around upgrading/leveling up your current items (while you still do get new ones).

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By FreakAche

The two "genres" have the same basic concepts, but have a different structure. Zelda in a sense has levels, while Metroidvanias take place in a single large world that requires constant backtracking.

Plus, there's the obvious difference of 3D and topdown as opposed to side-scrolling.